Author Topic: Latest Movie Thread  (Read 853075 times)

Offline Arthur Dent

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +186/-80
  • 42?
    • View Profile
Re: Latest Movie Thread
« Reply #3320 on: November 13, 2019, 10:30:01 pm »
Anybody going to see Ford vs Ferrari?

I am going Friday

Offline quadzilla

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +391/-634
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Rock'n Rolla Nightstalker
« Reply #3321 on: November 13, 2019, 10:50:17 pm »
Anybody going to see Ford vs Ferrari?

I am going Friday

Feel free to post a short review for us.

Offline dirtyjeffer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +296/-1312
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2021 Toyota Venza Limited, 2016 Kia Sorento EX AWD
« Reply #3322 on: November 14, 2019, 12:13:28 am »
No doubt.  Although I've never been to an IMAX theatre.  :(
Sit 2 feet away from your new 85“ tv ;-)
Same thing.
yea, i saw a bit of the Matrix on it back in the day...it made me dizzy...i couldn't stand it.
When you've lost the argument, admit defeat and hit the smite button.

Offline KD

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +359/-263
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 Frontier Pro-4X, 2013 Lexus GS-350
« Reply #3323 on: November 14, 2019, 10:44:23 am »
It's rare that I go to the theatre to see movies, but I went tonight and saw Midway.  I loved it and thought it was very well done.  IMHO, it's the best war movie in quite some time.

Have you seen Dunkirk?
i did...it was ok, but was expecting better.
We did not finish watching

Me neither. Had an interesting start, then seemed to go nowhere

Didn't finish watching?  Seriously?  It's a Chris Nolan film.  The end is where everything gets tied together.  Remember Memento?  Nothing makes sense until the end, and then you're like, Oh, :censor:!!!!

One thing i admired about Dunkirk is that it did a pretty good job of conveying the atmosphere of the time.  Dunkirk was a retreat after all and not a battle for anything other than survival.  For that i think Nolan did an excellent job of conveying the bleakness of the event, which was one of the most dire moments for the allies during WW2, and probably the worst defeat in the history of the British Empire.  Don't forget the British were pretty close to capitulation at that point of the war.  Nothing to glorify there.  I can understand that anyone expecting to see a traditional war movie with battle scenes and the like would be disappointed.   I didn't read any reviews before or after.  Just my 2 cents.

Offline OliverD

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +255/-769
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 BMW 328i Touring, 1998 Jaguar XJR, 2024 Mini Cooper S
« Reply #3324 on: November 14, 2019, 10:45:35 am »
I thought Dunkirk was great and I'm surprised that people didn't finish it.

Offline CanuckS2K

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +398/-316
    • View Profile
    • Prestige Auto Detail
  • Cars: 1991 Toyota MR2 Turbo, 2005 Honda S2000, 2014 Infiniti Q50S, 2017 Ford F-150 Lariat
« Reply #3325 on: November 14, 2019, 04:04:52 pm »

Agreed.

As for Midway, for me as an amateur military historian, it looks terrible. The reviews seem to reinforce my fears. It may be my favourite battle of the entire Pacific War (I have a painting for the battle hanging in my office) and this thing looks like a brutal letdown a la Pearl Harbour.

On the topic, if you want to read an incredible book on the battle from The Japanese side may I recommend Shattered Sword. https://www.amazon.ca/Shattered-Sword-Untold-Battle-Midway/dp/1574889249

To each their own I guess, but I thought Midway was done incredibly well, and in no way compares to Pearl Harbour.  I'm no historian, but it seemed to be accurately depicted from what I could tell with the characters that were portrayed. 
Owner - Prestige Auto Detailing & Hammond River Brewing

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1254/-7209
    • View Profile
« Reply #3326 on: November 14, 2019, 04:39:08 pm »

Agreed.

As for Midway, for me as an amateur military historian, it looks terrible. The reviews seem to reinforce my fears. It may be my favourite battle of the entire Pacific War (I have a painting for the battle hanging in my office) and this thing looks like a brutal letdown a la Pearl Harbour.

On the topic, if you want to read an incredible book on the battle from The Japanese side may I recommend Shattered Sword. https://www.amazon.ca/Shattered-Sword-Untold-Battle-Midway/dp/1574889249

Another good movie (IMO) from Japanese perspective was Letters from Iwo Jima.
How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

Offline CanuckS2K

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
    • Prestige Auto Detail
  • Cars: 1991 Toyota MR2 Turbo, 2005 Honda S2000, 2014 Infiniti Q50S, 2017 Ford F-150 Lariat
« Reply #3327 on: November 14, 2019, 04:49:57 pm »
From someone who claims he knows the Pacific war well, this review is pretty darn good. 

This is probably the first time in over 50 years Hollywood made a solid war movie without inserting a sappy, contrived romantic sub-plot, pushing some radical political agenda, or re-writing history. The movie is good. The dialogue is believable, natural, and convincingly delivered in almost all cases.

While no movie is perfectly accurate historically - historians don't even agree on much, so who is to say - the few errors here are trivial and immaterial to the how events progressed. As somebody who is a buff on this period of the early Pacific war - reading every book by Prange, Lord, and many others - I was very impressed.

I went into this movie expecting the worst from Hollywood, but this was their best historical piece in generations. Even the casting seemed to echo the real people in looks and demeanor.

The Japanese point of view wasn't neglected either. While I can't say whether the Japanese dialogue was believable or well-delivered, by all outward appearances this acting was also top notch. The similarity between the real Admiral Nagumo and the actor was particularly striking. They made the right call in using solid Japanese actors speaking Japanese.

The accurate portrayal of the friction between the Imperial Navy and Imperial Army with Emperor Hirohito almost powerless to restrain the militarists was very refreshing. This was a very important, complex contributing factor to the war. Few outside Japan and some narrow historical circles ever learn about this dynamic.

About the worst I can say about this movie is the pace was too fast. Unless stretched into an 8 hour mini-series, I can't imagine they could have avoided this. With my background, I could fill in gaps and context the movie seemed to miss. Others might be left confused. Even though not well-read on this chapter of history, my spouse followed the storyline without issue and really enjoyed the movie as entertainment.

Kudos to the producers, writers, actors, and entire crew. This was a job well-done and a fitting tribute to heroes like Layton and Best."

Offline CanuckS2K

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
    • Prestige Auto Detail
« Reply #3328 on: November 14, 2019, 04:57:10 pm »
^ This would of been an AMAZING mini series, especially if Speilberg and Hanks were involved. 

Offline Great_Big_Abyss

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +268/-457
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2019 Mazda CX-5
« Reply #3329 on: November 14, 2019, 04:58:34 pm »
^^

FWIW I have heard some of the same of what you posted.

-Casting was excellent

-The movie felt rushed and for a movie called Midway they skipped through the battle quickly.

And sorry when I say terrible it's mostly from my perspective. With most of these war movies I've usually read like 5 books on the subject so I go into the movie with unrealistic expectations most likely.

I mean, I'm the guys that would prefer a Chernobyl style miniseries on the battle but I understand I'm in the minority.

Not at all.  They could have given it the Band of Brothers treatment (the European season - I didn't get the warm and fuzzies from The Pacific).  That way you'd really get to know the characters and be able to build relationships with them.  And really, with the prevalence of TV over movies these days, it's the direction they should have gone.  But then you wouldn't be able to go see it on the big screen.

Offline quadzilla

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #3330 on: November 14, 2019, 05:15:02 pm »
And even though you don't want to know...

There is a guy that comes on our hikes that would talk your ear off about this stuff and can he talk a lot.

Offline CanuckS2K

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
    • Prestige Auto Detail
« Reply #3331 on: November 14, 2019, 05:22:46 pm »
A mini series based on the Japanese side based on Shattered Sword....I'd sell my soul for.

And even though you don't want to know, what is fascinating about hearing it from the Japanese side is that you consider that Midway was perhaps not a paramount a victory for the Americans as we hear it. It was a huge victory but one can argue that the Japanese defeat was inevitable based on their doctrine and the economic power of the US. Regardless it was the beginning of the end for the Japanese.

Anyway, I find the whole pacific theater to be absolutely fascinating. It was total war unlike anything we've seen.

I"ve always been fascinated with it as well, mostly due to my Grandfather being in the Pacific during the war.  Although I am certainly no historian either.  Bottom left is him in the Pacific at 19 years old.

Offline quadzilla

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #3332 on: November 14, 2019, 05:28:19 pm »
And even though you don't want to know...

There is a guy that comes on our hikes that would talk your ear off about this stuff and can he talk a lot.

Excellent. Looking forward to that.

I'll get out with you guys at some point this season so keep me on that list.

lol I'd also like to hike with a botanist or forester in the group. I'd just be asking questions for hours.

We do have this guy that roasts coffee beans but I think he just got a lot busier.  :rofl2:

Not sure if there is a botanist or forester but we are quite diverse so you never know. Check out these guys on YT though, one of the guys is a botanist and is always stopping to identify any and everything on their adventures.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UClFrYG5h7Vbz-Y2CEIEU6EQ

Email for the next hike will be coming out the first week of December for a possible date of Sunday December 15 in Hockley Valley.

Offline Brig

• Brig
  • Carma: +396/-1400
  • Class Clown, Moderatrix and Resident Hag
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2016 Mazda CX-3 GS AWD
« Reply #3333 on: November 14, 2019, 05:30:37 pm »
one of the guys is a botanist and is always stopping to identify any and everything on their adventures.

I do that, too.  But I would not be able to do your hikes.  Not that I was invited.  Never mind -- I'll let myself out.   :rofl2:

Offline quadzilla

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #3334 on: November 14, 2019, 05:49:06 pm »
one of the guys is a botanist and is always stopping to identify any and everything on their adventures.

I do that, too.  But I would not be able to do your hikes.  Not that I was invited.  Never mind -- I'll let myself out.   :rofl2:

Ya, we don't invite those that have to stop every 5 minutes to get another picture of the same thing they took a picture of 20m back on the trail.  :P

You would be fine on our fun hikes. We have an 12 km (fun) and 18 km (more serious, I'm leading this one) hike down in Dundas Valley on Saturday.  Email me if you want to join and I can send you the details. Post hike coffee and treats at Detour.  :lick:

Offline dirtyjeffer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +296/-1312
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2021 Toyota Venza Limited, 2016 Kia Sorento EX AWD
« Reply #3335 on: November 14, 2019, 06:18:32 pm »
I"ve always been fascinated with it as well, mostly due to my Grandfather being in the Pacific during the war.  Although I am certainly no historian either.  Bottom left is him in the Pacific at 19 years old.

it's weird when you think about it...when i was 19, i was getting drunk, picking up girls, working in the kitchen of a restaurant...essentially, enjoying life out on my own, doing my own thing, hanging out with my friends...your grandfather was half way around the world, embattled in the middle of a world war...scary AF.

Offline Brig

• Brig
  • Carma: +396/-1400
  • Class Clown, Moderatrix and Resident Hag
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2016 Mazda CX-3 GS AWD
« Reply #3336 on: November 14, 2019, 06:36:22 pm »
Ya, we don't invite those that have to stop every 5 minutes to get another picture of the same thing they took a picture of 20m back on the trail.  :P

Shaddap.   :rofl2:

Thanks for the pity invite.   :rofl:   I've actually already got a hike on Saturday.  Gonna be a chilly one, apparently.

Offline Layne

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +4764/-4509
    • View Profile
« Reply #3337 on: November 14, 2019, 09:18:11 pm »
Pretty horrible reviews on Midway. ???

I thought this one was funny:

“Every tired war movie cliche is unearthed in a film that brings nothing new but will no doubt please fans of men in uniform yelling at explosions.“  :rofl2:

Yeah - Midway is a dog.  I thought it was pretty bad.

True - I thought Midway so bad, I almost walked out Midway.

Offline quadzilla

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #3338 on: November 14, 2019, 09:42:00 pm »
I've actually already got a hike on Saturday.  Gonna be a chilly one, apparently.

Why do you think I invited you. :-* :stick:  :run: 

Last I heard was -2C and sunny which would make for great hiking weather. Of course the forecast will change 10 times before it actually happens.

Offline Scaerio

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +193/-127
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2013 Volvo C30 T5; all my exes: 2005 Suzuki Aerio SE, '02 Renault Clio, '93 Volvo 850 GLT, '78 MB W-123 230
« Reply #3339 on: November 25, 2019, 01:24:34 am »
Saw Jojo Rabbit last weekend.  Was quite disappointed.

Saw Terminator Dark Fate this weekend.  Was a fun romp.  I think it did the originals justice.
I'd rather be car-poor than house-poor...