Author Topic: Latest Movie Thread  (Read 852880 times)

Offline mlin32

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +65/-419
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 Peugeot 308 GT; 2015 Yamaha YZF-R3
Re: Latest Movie Thread
« Reply #3180 on: July 02, 2019, 07:44:38 am »
Watched The Secret Life of Pets 2 on Sunday- nice way to spend a hot summer day inside. A nice humorous film, if not particularly engaging. But fun, which is the point.
ř cons: Peugeot 308: Yamaha R3 [/URL]

Offline BWII

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +188/-376
    • View Profile
« Reply #3181 on: July 02, 2019, 11:19:52 am »
That’s actually a really underrated movie.

He's such a good actor.

Ever watch Last Man on Earth?  We hated him (love hate)...and now we love him.  He plays stupid very well.  Go with what you know! I guess.

Offline Bubba

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +382/-442
  • Vice President, Autos.ca Arizona Operations
    • View Profile
    • My photo site
  • Cars: 2013 Toyota Corolla LE
« Reply #3182 on: July 22, 2019, 06:58:28 pm »
I'll just leave this here.   :'(

A BEAUTIFUL DAY IN THE NEIGHBORHOOD - Official Trailer (HD)
https://youtu.be/-VLEPhfEN2M
My reading of history convinces me that most bad government results from too much government. - Thomas Jefferson

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1254/-7209
    • View Profile
« Reply #3183 on: July 22, 2019, 07:28:36 pm »
I'll just leave this here.   :'(

A BEAUTIFUL DAY IN THE NEIGHBORHOOD - Official Trailer (HD)
https://youtu.be/-VLEPhfEN2M

No sure why you'd want to see this after the already excellent documentary "Won't you be my neighbor?" from last year?

Unless you're a huge Tom Hanks fan....
How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

Offline Niklasky

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +18/-22
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2019 Honda Pilot Touring, 2015 Kia Rondo EX Luxury
« Reply #3184 on: August 02, 2019, 10:39:06 am »
I saw "Once upon a time... in Hollywood" last night.

I liked it a lot, as I did all other Tarantino movies. It's 3 hours long but frankly, I didn't see the time go by.

Great acting, great directing, great story. Essentially the film tells the story of two guys, an actor in decline trying to stay relevant (Di Caprio), and his stunt double (Pitt). They are also best buddies, together trying to keep their careers going in Hollywood.

The story intertwines with that of Sharon Tate (Margot Robbie) and the Charles Manson Family murders.

Don't expect a movie that is historically accurate. It is not. The story is reinvented by Tarantino, the same way he reinvented the WWII outcome in Inglourious Basterds. Tarantino never lets facts get in the way of a good story. There are a few good laughs and graphic violence in the movie too.

It's a pretty brilliant Hollywood story. You will see scenes with Steve McQueen, Roman Polanski, Bruce Lee, etc.

The filming is great, you really feel the sixties, the hippies, and the driving scenes are great. A few times I actually felt like I was sitting on the backseat of the MG convertible driven by Polanski with my hair in the wind, through the twisty roads of the Hollywood hills.

The music is great too.

If you like Hollywood, Tarantino, great actors and a good story, this movie is for you.

Offline tenpenny

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +137/-305
    • View Profile
« Reply #3185 on: August 02, 2019, 11:46:24 am »
Anniston can act when the right role comes along, but she's not picky. In The Good Girl she's actually really good, and suprised me in Friends With Money.

She doesn't seem to take herself very seriously and takes jobs even if the role is not great. I suspect she just likes working.

One thing she takes very seriously is her looks. She's basically ageless. The dedication to diet and fitness along with staying out of the sun, etc, is incredible.

In the 'outtakes' bit from 'We're The Millers', where they are in the RV and the rest of the cast starts singing along with the theme for Friends, you can tell that for a moment she's SERIOUSLY pizzed, and then she realizes they're deliberately messing with her and laughs, but there's a nano second of her being really upset.
My diesel car self-identifies as an electric vehicle.

Offline Niklasky

• Drunk on Fuel
    • View Profile
« Reply #3186 on: August 02, 2019, 12:39:30 pm »

I liked it a lot, as I did all other Tarantino movies. It's 3 hours long but frankly, I didn't see the time go by.

Great acting, great directing, great story. Essentially the film tells the story of two guys, an actor in decline trying to stay relevant (Di Caprio), and his stunt double (Pitt). They are also best buddies, together trying to keep their careers going in Hollywood.

The story intertwines with that of Sharon Tate (Margot Robbie) and the Charles Manson Family murders.

Don't expect a movie that is historically accurate. It is not. The story is reinvented by Tarantino, the same way he reinvented the WWII outcome in Inglourious Basterds. Tarantino never lets facts get in the way of a good story. There are a few good laughs and graphic violence in the movie too.

It's a pretty brilliant Hollywood story. You will see scenes with Steve McQueen, Roman Polanski, Bruce Lee, etc.

The filming is great, you really feel the sixties, the hippies, and the driving scenes are great. A few times I actually felt like I was sitting on the backseat of the MG convertible driven by Polanski with my hair in the wind, through the twisty roads of the Hollywood hills.

The music is great too.

If you like Hollywood, Tarantino, great actors and a good story, this movie is for you.

It really is pretty entertaining.

And thanks for not providing any spoilers.... ;D

Did I spoil ? I don't think I mentioned anything you wouldn't see in the trailer, but let me know and I'll edit the post.

Offline Niklasky

• Drunk on Fuel
    • View Profile
« Reply #3187 on: August 02, 2019, 02:00:06 pm »

The music is great too.

Did I spoil ? I don't think I mentioned anything you wouldn't see in the trailer, but let me know and I'll edit the post.

No you didn’t and I appreciate that.

Thanks. I thought you might have been sarcastic.

Some advice before going in the theater though :
- Don't drink
- Don't buy a large beverage
- Go pee

Yes, 3 hours is long and you don't want to have to take a bathroom break at any time.

I'm thinking movie theaters should probably start introducing an 5-10 minute intermission at half-time for movies longer than 2.5 hours.

Offline Great_Big_Abyss

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +268/-457
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2019 Mazda CX-5
« Reply #3188 on: August 02, 2019, 03:04:46 pm »

The music is great too.

- Don't drink
- Go pee

Yes, 3 hours is long and you don't want to have to take a bathroom break at any time.

I'm thinking movie theaters should probably start introducing an 5-10 minute intermission at half-time for movies longer than 2.5 hours.

I'd be down for that.  Although movie-makes would also have to be on board, so that it can happen without breaking immersion.

Offline Niklasky

• Drunk on Fuel
    • View Profile
« Reply #3189 on: August 02, 2019, 03:18:47 pm »

The music is great too.

- Don't drink
- Go pee

I'd be down for that.  Although movie-makes would also have to be on board, so that it can happen without breaking immersion.

They already do it in some countries. Some do it better than others, like in between scenes, some do it at exactly half-time, even if it is during a scene or dialogue.

It's good for business too. People don't have to refrain from buying a big gulp and/or they can buy a refill of popcorn and soda during the break.

Offline Brig

• Brig
  • Carma: +396/-1400
  • Class Clown, Moderatrix and Resident Hag
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2016 Mazda CX-3 GS AWD
« Reply #3190 on: August 02, 2019, 05:21:02 pm »
And this is one of the reasons why I dislike movie theatres.  I've gotten used to hitting PAUSE at home.  Three hours is a long time to be sitting motionless.

Offline Davep

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +15/-14
    • View Profile
  • Cars: first car - 1965 Hillman Super Minx!!!
« Reply #3191 on: August 02, 2019, 11:18:27 pm »
I remember back in the sixties and early seventies some of the excessively long movies had intermissions. Mind you, that may have only been at the larger premium theatres like the old University theatre at Bay and Bloor in Toronto. The 1956 release of War and Peace had an intermission (it ran forever.I saw it mid sixties in a theatre,), and I'm pretty sure Dr Zivago had one. I think Fidler on the roof had an intermission too although I don't think the Sound of Music had one.

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #3192 on: August 02, 2019, 11:42:36 pm »
I remember back in the sixties and early seventies some of the excessively long movies had intermissions. Mind you, that may have only been at the larger premium theatres like the old University theatre at Bay and Bloor in Toronto. The 1956 release of War and Peace had an intermission (it ran forever.I saw it mid sixties in a theatre,), and I'm pretty sure Dr Zivago had one. I think Fidler on the roof had an intermission too although I don't think the Sound of Music had one.
How old are you? You remember silent movies? LOL [emoji38]

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #3193 on: August 04, 2019, 02:31:48 am »
Just watched Lars von Trier's The House That Jack Built.....

Still trying to process it....

Probably the best role Matt Dillon has done though...

Offline Gurgie

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +308/-517
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2019 Honda Passport Touring
« Reply #3194 on: August 04, 2019, 09:31:33 am »
Watched Bad Times at the El Royale last night, I had PVR'd it a while back & we got around to it last night! I really enjoyed it, Bella not so much, lol! I thought it had that Tarantino-ish story telling/filmography style to it, and you weren't sure what was gonna happen next. I'd watch it again, that's how good I thought it was [emoji106]

Sent from my SM-G970W using Tapatalk

You live everyday. You only die once....

Offline OliverD

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +255/-769
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 BMW 328i Touring, 1998 Jaguar XJR, 2024 Mini Cooper S
« Reply #3195 on: August 04, 2019, 05:18:15 pm »
Yeah I really enjoyed it as well.

Offline Brig

• Brig
  • Carma: +396/-1400
  • Class Clown, Moderatrix and Resident Hag
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2016 Mazda CX-3 GS AWD
« Reply #3196 on: August 05, 2019, 08:40:51 am »
Saw Green Book on the weekend.  Thoroughly enjoyed it!  Great chemistry between those two.

Offline mlin32

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +65/-419
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 Peugeot 308 GT; 2015 Yamaha YZF-R3
« Reply #3197 on: August 24, 2019, 05:18:53 pm »
Picked up Le Chant du Loup last week and watched it last night, a thriller/action film that débuted earlier this year but I just never got around to the cinéma. Was more of a thriller than I'd expected based on the theatrical trailer, ended up watching the whole thing till past midnight. A disheartening ending, but that's life.  :-\

http://www.allocine.fr/film/fichefilm_gen_cfilm=256424.html

Trailer : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ATGDQpH-gOM

Now just digesting the 1h30 of extra features....

Offline Niklasky

• Drunk on Fuel
    • View Profile
« Reply #3198 on: August 26, 2019, 01:25:16 pm »
Picked up Le Chant du Loup last week and watched it last night, a thriller/action film that débuted earlier this year but I just never got around to the cinéma. Was more of a thriller than I'd expected based on the theatrical trailer, ended up watching the whole thing till past midnight. A disheartening ending, but that's life.  :-\

http://www.allocine.fr/film/fichefilm_gen_cfilm=256424.html

Trailer : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ATGDQpH-gOM

Now just digesting the 1h30 of extra features....

I saw it and liked it, up until the last part, which is completely unrealistic.

Also, Omar Sy is better at comedies. I didn't think his performance was good in this movie.

Offline OliverD

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +255/-769
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 BMW 328i Touring, 1998 Jaguar XJR, 2024 Mini Cooper S
« Reply #3199 on: August 26, 2019, 01:28:59 pm »
Watched Us last night. Not quite sure what to think of it.