Author Topic: Latest Movie Thread  (Read 852858 times)

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1254/-7209
    • View Profile
Re: Latest Movie Thread
« Reply #2960 on: December 31, 2018, 09:36:38 am »
As expected, I didn't like Aquaman and thought the story was "meh". It didn't seem to flow very well. Lots of switching scenes with captions on the bottom "Meanwhile, somewhere in the Atlantic" type of thing so you didn't get lost.

Effects were good enough I guess....but it seemed like they tried to hard. Felt like Avatar under water at times. I think they could have done more with less.

I'm sure some here will like it...but it's not for me.
How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

Offline Allen

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +123/-440
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2021 Q5 Sline, 2022 Honda HRV Touring
« Reply #2961 on: December 31, 2018, 09:57:10 am »
Went and saw Vice on the weekend... interesting movie, didn't know his background and or realize how much power Dick had

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #2962 on: December 31, 2018, 10:04:50 am »
Went and saw Vice on the weekend... interesting movie, didn't know his background and or realize how much power Dick had
He was, more or less, the President of the United States at times it seemed.

Offline quadzilla

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +391/-634
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Rock'n Rolla Nightstalker
« Reply #2963 on: December 31, 2018, 10:10:18 am »
As expected, I didn't like Aquaman and thought the story was "meh".

Out of curiosity, do you like any of the other movies in the Marvel Universe?

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #2964 on: December 31, 2018, 10:15:30 am »
As expected, I didn't like Aquaman and thought the story was "meh".

Out of curiosity, do you like any of the other movies in the Marvel Universe?
Yea, some of them.

I'm not a comic book guy though....but yes, I liked some of them.

Also..Nicole Kidman is still beautiful...timeless beauty.
« Last Edit: December 31, 2018, 11:04:45 am by rrocket »

Offline Gurgie

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +308/-517
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2019 Honda Passport Touring
« Reply #2965 on: December 31, 2018, 10:24:08 am »
We saw The Mule last night.... didn't disappoint at all! Was worth going to see in the theater.

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

You live everyday. You only die once....

Offline bridgecity

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +126/-182
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2014 MDX; 2007 Tundra
« Reply #2966 on: December 31, 2018, 10:26:12 am »
As expected, I didn't like Aquaman and thought the story was "meh". It didn't seem to flow very well. Lots of switching scenes with captions on the bottom "Meanwhile, somewhere in the Atlantic" type of thing so you didn't get lost.

Effects were good enough I guess....but it seemed like they tried to hard. Felt like Avatar under water at times. I think they could have done more with less.

I'm sure some here will like it...but it's not for me.

Saw the movie on the weekend with the family.  My thoughts were about the same rrocket, meh.  It feels like all these superhero movies try to hard to go over the top.  Kids loved it though. 

Also watched Avengers: Infinity War with the kids last night.  I thought it was one of the better superhero movies.  It had some good humour in it at least. 
Quality is never an accident; it is always the result of high intention, sincere effort, intelligent direction, and skillful execution; it represents the wise choice of many alternatives.

Offline Great_Big_Abyss

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +268/-457
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2019 Mazda CX-5
« Reply #2967 on: January 03, 2019, 08:31:53 am »
The wife and I watched Bird Box on Netflix last night.  Creepy movie, and quite well done.  Sandra Bullock was good in it.  It kept me feeling creeped out throughout, which I guess is the mark of a good suspense movie. 

Offline quadzilla

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #2968 on: January 03, 2019, 08:35:51 am »
The wife and I watched Bird Box on Netflix last night.  Creepy movie, and quite well done.  Sandra Bullock was good in it.  It kept me feeling creeped out throughout, which I guess is the mark of a good suspense movie.

Don't think we will see many movies together.  :P Thought the total opposite of you and was bored throughout the entire movie and it couldn't finish fast enough. Also thought the random girl I see at the coffee shop could have played the roll Bullock did. I will say that I did laugh at the ending.

Offline quadzilla

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #2969 on: January 03, 2019, 08:39:00 am »
For anybody (like me) who hasn't seen A Quiet Place it is now available on Netflix.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt6644200/

Almost everybody that has seen this says it is really good and very suspenseful. I've also read the sound mix is tops. Hopefully I can get to it soon.

Offline Ex-airbalancer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +729/-1584
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 Silverado 1500 LTZ ext ended cab , 2013 Lexus RX-350 F Sport
« Reply #2970 on: January 03, 2019, 08:46:09 am »

Don't think we will see many movies together.  :P Thought the total opposite of you and was bored throughout the entire movie and it couldn't finish fast enough. Also thought the random girl I see at the coffee shop could have played the roll Bullock did. I will say that I did laugh at the ending.

"You want to pay me that much to do this movie "
I wonder if this reason Bullock she did this movie  ;D

Offline ChaosphereIX

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +187/-377
  • Wont run with the pack
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2015 Jaguar XJR-L
« Reply #2971 on: January 03, 2019, 01:31:07 pm »
Saw Bumblebee. Was a fantastic redemption of the Transformers name. Not perfect, but 100% better than the previous movies.

Forget all the Michael Bay films, this is the only good one. Felt like I was watching Gen1 cartoons all over again. For those traised on the 80s cartoons, this should make you happy.
If driving an Alfa does not restore vitality to your soul, then just pass the hospital and park at the morgue to save everyone time.

Now drives a Jaaaaaaag...and thus will not pay for anything during an outing...but it is OK, because....I drive a Jaaaaaag.

Offline Great_Big_Abyss

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #2972 on: January 03, 2019, 02:03:37 pm »
Saw Bumblebee. Was a fantastic redemption of the Transformers name. Not perfect, but 100% better than the previous movies.

Forget all the Michael Bay films, this is the only good one. Felt like I was watching Gen1 cartoons all over again. For those traised on the 80s cartoons, this should make you happy.

So, is this a re-reboot?

Offline BWII

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +188/-376
    • View Profile
« Reply #2973 on: January 03, 2019, 02:06:19 pm »
I PVR'd The Greatest Showman a while back and finally had a chance to watch it.  Good movie, something the whole family can watch.  Of course my oldest finally pulls the earplugs out of his head and gives a "what!?" and starts mockingly singing along...my wife is busy doing what women do best...multi-tasking, watching the movie and playing that facking Candy Crush game...Juicylicious! (facking stupid game).  Whatever, I liked it.  Maybe even a Great! movie.  Then again I grew up on Elvis movies and Dean Martin et al so I've never hated musicals if they're good.  Shi# I even liked Rock of Ages.  :P (Julianne Hough doesn't even have to sing and I'd watch  ;D)

Watched The Clapper.  Meh...although Amanda Seyfried doesn't have to be in much and I'd watch her, too. 

And...what else did we watch...right, RAGE.  Mindless ape-candy.  Godzilla and the Giant Lizard and a wolf all rolled into one.  Def not an Oscar contender.

Offline HeliDriver

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +176/-235
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2023 Crosstrek Sport 6MT; 2011 Yukon XL 2500
« Reply #2974 on: January 03, 2019, 06:10:16 pm »
For anybody (like me) who hasn't seen A Quiet Place it is now available on Netflix.

Almost everybody that has seen this says it is really good and very suspenseful. I've also read the sound mix is tops. Hopefully I can get to it soon.

Saw it on the plane a couple months ago. Didn't do much for me, but it was ok I suppose.

Also watched Get Out, which I really enjoyed and was better than I was expecting. Mary Shelley was pretty good, too. Also was pleasantly surprised to see The Workers Cup: I'd read about it, but figured I'd probably never get a chance to see it. Was a good little documentary.

Offline ChaosphereIX

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +187/-377
  • Wont run with the pack
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2015 Jaguar XJR-L
« Reply #2975 on: January 04, 2019, 07:12:48 am »

So, is this a re-reboot?
If it is, it is a good place to start

Offline Scaerio

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +193/-127
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2013 Volvo C30 T5; all my exes: 2005 Suzuki Aerio SE, '02 Renault Clio, '93 Volvo 850 GLT, '78 MB W-123 230
« Reply #2976 on: January 04, 2019, 03:49:47 pm »

"A Quiet Place" does the "Bird Box" thing much better.
I'd rather be car-poor than house-poor...

Offline random006

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +123/-83
    • View Profile
  • Cars: His - 2018 Subaru Crosstrek .... Hers - 2008 Honda Civic DX
« Reply #2977 on: January 05, 2019, 09:19:25 am »
I'm one of those who disliked it immensely.  I love the C Bros because they generally make me holler with laughter (Raising Arizona, Fargo, O Brother Where Art Thou).   This one... not so much.  In what ways did it resonate with you?

It’s not that kind of movie for sure.  Then again, neither was Blood Simple (their first) or Hudsucker Proxy or Barton Fink or No Country for Old Men.  All Cohen Brothers and all excellent.

Some aspects were humourous, mainly in the way the characters were drawn.  They were quite ludicrous on the face of it, which is what is funny.  Look at Buster Scruggs himself or the man who gunned him down.  Neither can be taken seriously but that is part of the fun.

That being said, the tales had an element of sadness about them.  Most were dark and at least one was downright depressing.  What kept us watching it was the way they were told as well as the mix of the tales themselves.  A bit of humour or excitement followed by a bit of sadness.

For the record, the one Cohen Brothers movie that I saw and did not like was Miller’s Crossing, a movie that got rave reviews by many. 

Go figure.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
I have come here to chew bubblegum and kick ass...and I'm all out of bubblegum.    -    John Nada (played by Roddy Piper) in "They Live"

Offline Great_Big_Abyss

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #2978 on: January 05, 2019, 09:25:54 am »
So, we watched A Quiet Place last night.  While it wasn't as suspenseful as Bird Box (somehow not seeing or knowing what the creatures are is worse than seeing some ugly creatures), it was a better movie over all.  I hope John Krasinski ends up in more things, as I really like him as an actor.

Offline mlin32

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +65/-419
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 Peugeot 308 GT; 2015 Yamaha YZF-R3
« Reply #2979 on: January 05, 2019, 01:19:17 pm »
I kind of want to see the new Spider-man film; looks like a fun one to see. Sure it's not the most deep-thought provoking kind of film but sometimes it'd be a fun break from reality.  :) The presse reviews are decent too.

Will have to wait a couple weeks until I can see it in English. though (the next time I'm in Strasbourg).
ø cons: Peugeot 308: Yamaha R3 [/URL]