Author Topic: Latest Movie Thread  (Read 852958 times)

Offline quadzilla

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +391/-634
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Rock'n Rolla Nightstalker
Re: Latest Movie Thread
« Reply #2880 on: November 17, 2018, 01:46:47 pm »
About time, I've been waiting your review which was much longer than mine.

The bad?  To me, it's only one part. The girlfriend. Firstly, Alex was Alex well before she came along. Her continued surprise at his lack of commitment to her compared to climbing was baffling. Uh, really, this is who this guy is, and it's public.  Any woman entering into a relationship with him needs to know that he's not a normal guy, and the reason Alex has had few relationships is that this is right out there to be seen.  Secondly, she came off as someone that really just wanted to be the girlfriend of someone famous. Famous for what didn't seem to matter. She went to his book signing without having a clue of who he was. Lastly, when the camera framed her, she seemed to be playing the part of the caring partner worried for the life of her love. Ugh.

I never figured out why Alex's started dating this girl. Unless I missed something, all they said is she came to a book signing and next thing they were dating. Did I miss something? How does this even work? You collect phone numbers all day, write a rating on the back, at the end of the day call the top 3 and pick from there?

While your profile of her is accurate I have seen many of women like this out there. Be it somebody dating a cyclist that races competitively or an army wife/gf. The number of times I've heard, "Why does he have to be away this weekend (or longer), he should stay home and do something with me <tears and drama>".

But at the same time, why would Alex (or similar person) want to be with a girl like that? Does he get tired of the worrying and emotional  baggage? Are they using each other? Think it is a two way street here.

Also, no comment on the GF letting all the rope out and dropping Alex?

Offline johngenx

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +758/-938
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2009 Toyota Corolla, 2004 Toyota Highlander V-6 4WD, 2001 Subaru Forester, 1994 Mazda Miata
« Reply #2881 on: November 17, 2018, 02:12:36 pm »
I'm going to give Alex some leeway of the girl thing - he's always had some social issues and I think that the relationship is somewhat unilateral in that she's the main player in many ways. That said, yeah, he's in there too, but I did find him candid about his lack of commitment and I agreed with him when he was puzzled that she didn't seem to understand him.

Omg, yeah, she lowered him off the end of the rope!  Holy hell!  But, that's Alex's fault. He's climbing with a rookie and he should have checked and double checked everything. Either she should have either been tied in with the rope then cloved to an anchor, the rope tied directly to an anchor, or at the very least, the end knotted. That's basic rope handling, and while its a basic skill, you should always check.

Alex was angry, yup, but damn dude, why didn't you ensure things were proper before leading up?

Offline quadzilla

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #2882 on: November 17, 2018, 02:31:01 pm »
I'm going to give Alex some leeway of the girl thing - he's always had some social issues and I think that the relationship is somewhat unilateral in that she's the main player in many ways. That said, yeah, he's in there too, but I did find him candid about his lack of commitment and I agreed with him when he was puzzled that she didn't seem to understand him.

Yep, pretty much agree. I just found it interesting to see this with a high level athlete where it wasn't manufactured for TV like most shows do. Some of Alex's comments to her while they where talking, especially about dying, had me in stitches.

I'll be buying this once it gets released to the home market.

Offline Scaerio

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +193/-127
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2013 Volvo C30 T5; all my exes: 2005 Suzuki Aerio SE, '02 Renault Clio, '93 Volvo 850 GLT, '78 MB W-123 230
« Reply #2883 on: November 17, 2018, 07:41:39 pm »
Saw ‘The Girl in the Spider’s Web’ last week.  Not as gripping nor as edgy as ‘The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo’ (very few scenes can beat that revenge on the rapist scene), but still an enjoyable couple hours’ entertainment.
Which vision are you writing about , the Hollywood or Swedish one for TGWTDT ?

‘The Girl in the Spider’s Web’ is the Hollywood sequel to the Hollywood ‘Dragon Tattoo.’ 

The sequels to the Swedish ‘Dragon Tattoo’ films are ‘The Girl Who Played with Fire’ and ‘The Girl Who Kicked Over the Hornets’ Nest.’ 

The rape revenge scenes in both the Swedish and Hollywood versions of ‘Dragon Tattoo’ are awesome, edgy, and daring pieces of cinema, and I give extra credit to the Hollywood version for going there.

So, to sum up, the Hollywood sequel to the Hollywood ‘Dragon Tattoo’ is a good night’s entertainment, but it can’t touch its predecessor.
« Last Edit: November 17, 2018, 07:51:38 pm by Scaerio »
I'd rather be car-poor than house-poor...

Offline Ex-airbalancer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +729/-1584
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 Silverado 1500 LTZ ext ended cab , 2013 Lexus RX-350 F Sport
« Reply #2884 on: November 17, 2018, 07:51:38 pm »
Saw ‘The Girl in the Spider’s Web’ last week.  Not as gripping nor as edgy as ‘The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo’ (very few scenes can beat that revenge on the rapist scene), but still an enjoyable couple hours’ entertainment.

Hollywood.
I enjoyed the    Swedish one much better, more edgy and rough

Offline Scaerio

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2013 Volvo C30 T5; all my exes: 2005 Suzuki Aerio SE, '02 Renault Clio, '93 Volvo 850 GLT, '78 MB W-123 230
« Reply #2885 on: November 17, 2018, 07:53:11 pm »

Hollywood.

Yes - see my edited reply above - the 3 Swedish films are awesome.  All 3 are on Netflix right now, btw.

Offline johngenx

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2009 Toyota Corolla, 2004 Toyota Highlander V-6 4WD, 2001 Subaru Forester, 1994 Mazda Miata
« Reply #2886 on: November 17, 2018, 07:53:54 pm »
The Swedish version is better. That said, the Hollywood one surprised me. They did a good job - they could have wrecked it completely.

Offline Scaerio

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #2887 on: November 17, 2018, 08:01:29 pm »
Part of me wants to see ‘Boy Erased,’ but a bigger part of me knows I’ll leave the cinema in a horrible mood that will be with me for a few days.  Better to leave it alone.  Maybe I’ll check out Overlord tonight.  Nazi zombie movies are way less politically and emotionally loaded than gay conversion therapy ones.
« Last Edit: November 17, 2018, 09:40:37 pm by Scaerio »

Offline Ex-airbalancer

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #2888 on: November 17, 2018, 08:10:19 pm »

Hollywood.

Yes - see my edited reply above - the 3 Swedish films are awesome.  All 3 are on Netflix right now, btw.
Nice , I have about 6 weeks of laying around to do, I will have watch them again

Offline johngenx

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #2889 on: November 17, 2018, 08:20:24 pm »
Gay conversion therapy needs to be illegal. Alberta is on the right track.

https://edmontonjournal.com/news/politics/ndp-bill-looks-to-ban-conversion-therapy

Offline mlin32

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +65/-419
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 Peugeot 308 GT; 2015 Yamaha YZF-R3
« Reply #2890 on: November 18, 2018, 03:15:32 am »
Watched the latest "Fantastic Beasts: the crimes of Grindelwald" (VO) last night, not bad actually. I didn't see the previous one of the series but I thought this one wasnt a bad way to pass an early evening. The plot took a little while to detangle at times but that's not necessarily a bad thing. The effects were pretty cool as well.

Interesting fact for those who don't know it : the 'film week' in France starts on Weds so often the release dates can be before the Canada.
ø cons: Peugeot 308: Yamaha R3 [/URL]

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1254/-7209
    • View Profile
« Reply #2891 on: November 19, 2018, 03:17:25 am »
Watched a new 2 part documentary "Jonestown: Terror in the Jungle"

There's enough crazy in this to last you for a year or two..

Worth watching if you like documentaries or have an interest in the topic.
How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

Offline Brig

• Brig
  • Carma: +396/-1400
  • Class Clown, Moderatrix and Resident Hag
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2016 Mazda CX-3 GS AWD
« Reply #2892 on: November 21, 2018, 05:54:28 pm »
Watched Coco for a second time in a week.  Charming movie, perfect for kids and adults for different reasons.  A real classic, in my opinion.  And a bit of a tearjerker at the end, but worth it.  On Netflix.

Offline Brig

• Brig
    • View Profile
« Reply #2893 on: November 21, 2018, 05:58:09 pm »
Also watched The Ballad of Buster Scruggs on Netflix.  I still don't get it.  Or maybe I wasn't in the mood for something so offbeat, although I generally like the Coen brothers' work.   :think:

Offline Ex-airbalancer

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #2894 on: November 21, 2018, 06:53:14 pm »
Also watched The Ballad of Buster Scruggs on Netflix.  I still don't get it.  Or maybe I wasn't in the mood for something so offbeat, although I generally like the Coen brothers' work.   :think:

You watch the whole thing , :o  I think we made it about 15 mins

Offline quadzilla

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #2895 on: November 24, 2018, 04:31:24 pm »

Lasted 90 minutes and had to turn it off despite the beautiful scenery. Just when I thought it was going somewhere and I could start enjoying it, nope, didn't happen. Not sure if I'll finish it.

Offline Brig

• Brig
    • View Profile
« Reply #2896 on: November 25, 2018, 07:34:20 am »

Lasted 90 minutes and had to turn it off despite the beautiful scenery. Just when I thought it was going somewhere and I could start enjoying it, nope, didn't happen. Not sure if I'll finish it.

Don't bother.  Very disappointing for me that the team who gave us Raising Arizona, Fargo and The Big Lebowski (and many other greats) have come up with this.  :thumbdown:

Offline BWII

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +188/-376
    • View Profile
« Reply #2897 on: November 25, 2018, 10:08:42 am »
Good movie on Netflix - The Siege of Jadotville.  Maybe it's been on there a while, don't know.  True story about an Irish group of soldiers on a UN peace keeping mission in the Congo.  Goes without saying...politicians are facked up...no matter what time in history it happens to be. 

Offline JohnnyMac

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +111/-459
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Honda CR-V Sport, 2022 Honda Civic Si, 2020 Toyota Rav4 Hybrid XLE (traded in), 2020 VW Jetta GLI (Traded in), 2010 Hyundai Santa Fe Limited (sold), 2016 VW Golf R (Sold)
« Reply #2898 on: November 25, 2018, 10:34:58 am »
Went and saw the new Grinch movie with my wife.  I think us and one other couple were the only people there that didn't bring kids.  We're a couple of Christmas freaks so we both really wanted to see this movie.  Have to say we were both really impressed.  The last Grinch movie with Jim Carey was garbage, but this new animated one was a real hit with everyone at the theatre.  I would recommend it to anyone who enjoys Christmas movies or has kids.

Offline johngenx

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #2899 on: November 25, 2018, 11:51:30 am »
We saw Instant Family last night, it's surprinsgly good. Far better than the trailers make it out to be.