Author Topic: Latest Movie Thread  (Read 852887 times)

Offline OliverD

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +255/-769
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 BMW 328i Touring, 1998 Jaguar XJR, 2024 Mini Cooper S
Re: Latest Movie Thread
« Reply #2820 on: October 17, 2018, 09:23:40 am »
Went to the theatre tonight for the first time in ages and watched First Man.  Really enjoyed it and thought it was really well done, would recommend it for sure.   On a side note, I it's hilarious how expensive food is at the movies.  I noticed a combo that included a medium popcorn, medium pop, and a Twix for $24.99.   :rofl: ::)

I'm pretty sure that combo also includes 1000 Scene points which is equivalent to a movie ticket.

I actually prefer seeing movies in the theatre, I'm more focused and there's no dogs or electronic devices to distract me.

Offline mlin32

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +65/-419
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 Peugeot 308 GT; 2015 Yamaha YZF-R3
« Reply #2821 on: October 17, 2018, 10:19:33 am »
Count me as one who likes to go to the cinéma. It's kind of like going out to the bar or to a restaurant, a nice treat. Plus, the screen and surround sound make for a far more immersive experience than a 48-inch screen or whatever size I have.

Not all of us have spacious, single-family homes or mega entertainment systems.
ř cons: Peugeot 308: Yamaha R3 [/URL]

Offline quadzilla

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +391/-634
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Rock'n Rolla Nightstalker
« Reply #2822 on: October 23, 2018, 08:08:06 am »
Free Solo will be playing at the Princess Cinema in Waterloo in November. Yeah! Can't wait to see it.

http://www.princesscinemas.com/movie/free-solo

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1424/-2121
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2020 Toyota Tundra, 2021 Lexus GX460, 2018 Kawasaki Versys X300
« Reply #2823 on: October 23, 2018, 10:30:13 am »
Went to the theatre tonight for the first time in ages and watched First Man.  Really enjoyed it and thought it was really well done, would recommend it for sure.   On a side note, I it's hilarious how expensive food is at the movies.  I noticed a combo that included a medium popcorn, medium pop, and a Twix for $24.99.   :rofl: ::)

You need to do movie night at the brewery.

Big white screen out back, projector and beer.

You'd sell out every night.

Hell yeah, that would totally sell out.   Awesome idea.  I wonder why you can't purchase a beer at the movies, seems very outdated.  Maybe it's just an NB thing.
We have theaters that bring beer to you in comfy chairs like a Lay-z-boy. The only way I see movies now.

That's awesome.

Overall, I really don't like going to the theatre at all.  I guess it's the reason why I hardly ever go.  Much prefer to watch something in my man cave instead.

X1000. I would much rather sit in our basement and watch a movie on our ~100" screen with our bar fridge within easy reach.
Lighten up Francis.....

Offline BWII

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +188/-376
    • View Profile
« Reply #2824 on: October 23, 2018, 11:10:18 am »
100" screen!  You baller!

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1424/-2121
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2020 Toyota Tundra, 2021 Lexus GX460, 2018 Kawasaki Versys X300
« Reply #2825 on: October 23, 2018, 11:12:17 am »
100" screen!  You baller!

Not really...its a projector.

Offline johngenx

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +758/-938
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2009 Toyota Corolla, 2004 Toyota Highlander V-6 4WD, 2001 Subaru Forester, 1994 Mazda Miata
« Reply #2826 on: October 23, 2018, 11:14:13 am »
I've always loved the movie experience. Big screen, big sound, just being out, and so on. Sometimes we like to find a movie on TV and stay home, but we see most things at the theater.

Offline tortoise

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +236/-453
    • View Profile
« Reply #2827 on: October 23, 2018, 11:18:28 am »
Free Solo will be playing at the Princess Cinema in Waterloo in November. Yeah! Can't wait to see it.

http://www.princesscinemas.com/movie/free-solo

I really want to see that.  It looks fascinating.
Only the slow and dim know where they're going in life, and seldom is it worth the trip. - Tom Robbins.

Offline random006

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +123/-83
    • View Profile
  • Cars: His - 2018 Subaru Crosstrek .... Hers - 2008 Honda Civic DX
« Reply #2828 on: October 23, 2018, 11:38:39 am »
I've always loved the movie experience. Big screen, big sound, just being out, and so on. Sometimes we like to find a movie on TV and stay home, but we see most things at the theater.

Ditto.

That being said, sometimes nothing beats our setup at home.  As an example, we watched "The Shape of Water" on Sunday morning.  Still in our jammies, we sat down, turned the lights down and the sound up and enjoyed a great movie in the comfort of our own home.  Having quality gear doesn't hurt either.   ;)
I have come here to chew bubblegum and kick ass...and I'm all out of bubblegum.    -    John Nada (played by Roddy Piper) in "They Live"

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1254/-7209
    • View Profile
« Reply #2829 on: October 23, 2018, 11:43:13 am »

Ditto.

That being said, sometimes nothing beats our setup at home.  As an example, we watched "The Shape of Water" on Sunday morning.  Still in our jammies, we sat down, turned the lights down and the sound up and enjoyed a great movie in the comfort of our own home.  Having quality gear doesn't hurt either.   ;)
I could take it or leave it. Very few movies REALLY make me want to go see them in a theater. I think Free Solo is one because the "hugeness" of what he's doing might translate better on the big screen.

I didn't like the Shape of Water as much as most people....but I'd recommend still.
How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

Offline PJungnitsch

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +170/-337
    • View Profile
    • Travel in Africa
  • Cars: Subaru Crosstrek, Lexus RX350, Evolve Carbon, Biktrix Juggernaut, Yamaha TW200
« Reply #2830 on: October 23, 2018, 11:43:35 am »
Just finished watching 'Hardcore Henry' on Netflix, the follow up from Biting Elbows 'Bad MF' video. Was handy to pause the projector and get over the motion sickness.

Reviews are funny to read, totally love or hate.

If you want to know what happens when you give a Russian punk rocker a GoPro and some money, it's the movie

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #2831 on: October 23, 2018, 11:44:29 am »
Just finished watching 'Hardcore Henry' on Netflix, the follow up from Biting Elbows 'Bad MF' video. Was handy to pause the projector and get over the motion sickness.

Reviews are funny to read, totally love or hate.

If you want to know what happens when you give a Russian punk rocker a GoPro and some money, it's the movie
Reminded me of a video game...and only an OK video game.

Offline quadzilla

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #2832 on: October 23, 2018, 12:42:46 pm »

Ditto.

That being said, sometimes nothing beats our setup at home. 

Having quality gear doesn't hurt either.   ;)

Put me in the rather watch at home camp also but we have a great setup. Find too many movie theaters lack in quality for picture and/or sound. People think loud = good but it drives me crazy. Then add in 30 minutes of ads/commercial, annoying people, etc.

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #2833 on: October 23, 2018, 12:46:32 pm »

Ditto.

Put me in the rather watch at home camp also but we have a great setup. Find too many movie theaters lack in quality for picture and/or sound. People think loud = good but it drives me crazy. Then add in 30 minutes of ads/commercial, annoying people, etc.
I guess that's the good part of losing my hearing...can't tell the difference between good or bad sound....

Offline quadzilla

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #2834 on: October 23, 2018, 12:49:32 pm »

Ditto.

I guess that's the good part of losing my hearing...can't tell the difference between good or bad sound....

I guess that is one plus.

Offline Ex-airbalancer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +729/-1584
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 Silverado 1500 LTZ ext ended cab , 2013 Lexus RX-350 F Sport
« Reply #2835 on: October 23, 2018, 02:21:56 pm »

Ditto.

I wish they would get  rid of the ringing noise they put in the background of every tv show and movie , they never had it 13 years ago  :P

Offline johngenx

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +758/-938
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2009 Toyota Corolla, 2004 Toyota Highlander V-6 4WD, 2001 Subaru Forester, 1994 Mazda Miata
« Reply #2836 on: October 23, 2018, 04:34:24 pm »
I'm stoked for Free Solo. Jimmy Chin has become an amazing filmmaker. Honnold is the greatest solo climber of all time. Should be a great combination.  I too want to see in on the big screen for the scale of it. It's really hard for people to fathom the scale of mountains unless you spend time on them, and hopefully Chin's cinematography and the big screen will help convey it.  I think with Meru he did a great job on showing how difficult and dangerous the climbing was, something that often gets lost.

Its odd how our brains react to height. A fall of 30M is usually fatal, but my brain reacts very differently to 30M of air vs over 1500M. On Mt Hector I was at one point where I had close to 1700M of space between my boot soles and the next stop down, and my brain nearly shut down. It's just more air time until you die.

Offline PJungnitsch

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +170/-337
    • View Profile
    • Travel in Africa
  • Cars: Subaru Crosstrek, Lexus RX350, Evolve Carbon, Biktrix Juggernaut, Yamaha TW200
« Reply #2837 on: October 23, 2018, 04:41:22 pm »
I've parachuted and bungie jumped, and found bungie jumping way worse. Felt like a suicide.

Offline ChaosphereIX

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +187/-377
  • Wont run with the pack
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2015 Jaguar XJR-L
« Reply #2838 on: October 23, 2018, 05:35:45 pm »
Incredibles 2 was good fun. For an animated film, the first one and this one have to be two of the best except perhaps the training dragon ones
If driving an Alfa does not restore vitality to your soul, then just pass the hospital and park at the morgue to save everyone time.

Now drives a Jaaaaaaag...and thus will not pay for anything during an outing...but it is OK, because....I drive a Jaaaaaag.

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #2839 on: October 23, 2018, 05:59:52 pm »
Incredibles 2 was good fun. For an animated film, the first one and this one have to be two of the best except perhaps the training dragon ones

Well not counting anime films anyways.....