Author Topic: Latest Movie Thread  (Read 852920 times)

Offline Great_Big_Abyss

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +268/-457
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2019 Mazda CX-5
Re: Latest Movie Thread
« Reply #2740 on: June 25, 2018, 02:04:09 pm »
Watched 'Game Night' with the wife the other weekend. We both liked it, funny and violent.

Yes, yes it was. Watched Blockers this weekend, holy fack did I laugh. Is it juvenile, yes, is it crude, yes, is it predictable, also yes, feckin hilarious, absotutetly!!!

Yes, my wife and I also enjoyed that one.  It was exactly as advertised, we knew what we were getting into.  Just a dumb, funny movie!!!

Offline mlin32

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +65/-419
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 Peugeot 308 GT; 2015 Yamaha YZF-R3
« Reply #2741 on: June 25, 2018, 05:39:36 pm »
Watched "Ce que nous lie" (English title is Back to Burgandy), basically about a man who once travelled the world, only to come back to his father's vineyard in Bourgogne 10 yrs later for his passing. With a wife and son already in Australia, has to manage the inheritance with his siblings, while deciding whether to go back to Australia to his other famiily.

Was a nice watch; recommended for those who want a good evening film. Was cool to me cuz I recognised a lot of the scenery.

http://www.allocine.fr/film/fichefilm_gen_cfilm=241997.html
ψ cons: Peugeot 308: Yamaha R3 [/URL]

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1254/-7209
    • View Profile
« Reply #2742 on: June 25, 2018, 05:41:25 pm »
I had fun watching Star Wars: Solo this week.  After being disappointed with The last Jedi it was good to see a fun adventure Star Wars.

Not sure this movie needed to be made.  It was like a check list of explaining Han's past that I don't think needed to be told.

And this movie intruded the most annoying character in Star Wars,  L3-37.  Even though I enjoyed this movie, anytime this druid was on screen it made me want to leave the theater.  Never had that happen to me before  :-\.

Not sure I would recommend Solo to anyone.  Disney Star Wars seems to be so hit and miss with their fans these days.  Maybe wait for it on Netflix and go see Jurassic World and/or Incredibles 2 instead.

Rogue One set the bar for me as the new best Star Wars ever made.  Everything else that comes after is already a disappointment inferior.  They'd really, really have to hit it out of the park to beat Rogue One.

Really?  I thought it was dog :censor:.

Shut it off half way through...the only Star Wars movie I've ever done that to.
How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

Offline random006

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +123/-83
    • View Profile
  • Cars: His - 2018 Subaru Crosstrek .... Hers - 2008 Honda Civic DX
« Reply #2743 on: June 27, 2018, 08:01:09 am »
We went to see the Incredibles 2 movie over the weekend.  Fun movie, with a decent enough plot.  Keeps you guessing until at least half way through the flick.

The attention to details with CGI animation keeps getting better and better.  The hair and fluidity of motion in both slow and fast scenes is amazing now.

The only bad note is that I miscalculated by one week on when to go see it.  Way too many kids in the theatre.  Next week would have been much better, methinks.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
I have come here to chew bubblegum and kick ass...and I'm all out of bubblegum.    -    John Nada (played by Roddy Piper) in "They Live"

Offline random006

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #2744 on: July 04, 2018, 04:20:29 pm »
As promised in the Weather thread, here is a brief note about Deadpool 2.  I'm going to gloss over a few things so as not to reveal too many spoilers.

It was on our list to see and I decided that staying in a cool movie theatre was the better part of anything, so off we went.  The movie has some of the same cast returning: Ryan Reynolds, the bartender, the taxi driver, the blind lady and the two X-Men characters.  Joining them are a few new mutants plus some new characters filling in as the bad guys.

The NSFW language and snarky running commentary by a wise cracking Reynolds are also there.  It does wear a bit thin but overall, it works.

The plot is fairly solid and the way they weave in the other plots is good too, although there are one or two bits that don't quite add up for me.  Again, glossing over to prevent spoilers.  There are also several gut busting funny scenes that are worth the price of admission alone.

It doesn't have the novelty "wow!" factor that any first movie has but I'd still give it a good rating.  If you liked the first one, you'll definitely like this one.
« Last Edit: July 05, 2018, 11:16:58 am by random006 »

Offline Arthur Dent

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +186/-80
  • 42?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2745 on: July 04, 2018, 04:44:38 pm »
Saw Jurassic Park with the family. It was pretty darn average as I suspected.

Offline PJungnitsch

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +170/-337
    • View Profile
    • Travel in Africa
  • Cars: Subaru Crosstrek, Lexus RX350, Evolve Carbon, Biktrix Juggernaut, Yamaha TW200
« Reply #2746 on: July 04, 2018, 05:31:09 pm »
I had fun watching Star Wars: Solo this week.  After being disappointed with The last Jedi it was good to see a fun adventure Star Wars.

Not sure this movie needed to be made.  It was like a check list of explaining Han's past that I don't think needed to be told.

And this movie intruded the most annoying character in Star Wars,  L3-37.  Even though I enjoyed this movie, anytime this druid was on screen it made me want to leave the theater.  Never had that happen to me before  :-\.

Not sure I would recommend Solo to anyone.  Disney Star Wars seems to be so hit and miss with their fans these days.  Maybe wait for it on Netflix and go see Jurassic World and/or Incredibles 2 instead.

Rogue One set the bar for me as the new best Star Wars ever made.  Everything else that comes after is already a disappointment inferior.  They'd really, really have to hit it out of the park to beat Rogue One.

Agree with you on Rogue one. It's a war/adventure movie, but really that's what the originals were.

Working my way through the 'The Last Jedi' now that it is on Netflix, but it isn't grabbing me the same way

Offline random006

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #2747 on: July 05, 2018, 11:21:09 am »

Agree with you on Rogue one. It's a war/adventure movie, but really that's what the originals were.

Working my way through the 'The Last Jedi' now that it is on Netflix, but it isn't grabbing me the same way

The phrase "working my way through" in a movie review is never a good sign.   ;)   

I found The Last Jedi much better than its predecessor (The Force Awakens).  What is unusual here is the second movie is almost by definition the weakest link in a trilogy.  It neither starts nor finishes much of anything, leaving me with a vaguely unsatisfied feeling after watching it.  It's been a while but I don't recall getting that feeling here.

My kids gave me the DVD for my b-day and as you noted it's also available on Netflix, so perhaps I should watch it again to see if I still feel that way.

Offline Scaerio

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +193/-127
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2013 Volvo C30 T5; all my exes: 2005 Suzuki Aerio SE, '02 Renault Clio, '93 Volvo 850 GLT, '78 MB W-123 230
« Reply #2748 on: July 05, 2018, 01:09:24 pm »
Went to see the doc about Mr. Rogers.  It was very pleasant, thoughtful, a bit sad at times.  He was very much a "walk softly and carry a big stick" kinda guy.  His approach to life pretty much saved public broadcasting in the US. 
I'd rather be car-poor than house-poor...

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #2749 on: July 05, 2018, 02:28:33 pm »
Went to see the doc about Mr. Rogers.  It was very pleasant, thoughtful, a bit sad at times.  He was very much a "walk softly and carry a big stick" kinda guy.  His approach to life pretty much saved public broadcasting in the US.
A true "good guy".

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #2750 on: July 07, 2018, 12:46:25 am »
Not a latest movie...

But Starz channel has a Godzilla marathon on.

Neat!

Offline PJungnitsch

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +170/-337
    • View Profile
    • Travel in Africa
  • Cars: Subaru Crosstrek, Lexus RX350, Evolve Carbon, Biktrix Juggernaut, Yamaha TW200
« Reply #2751 on: July 09, 2018, 01:58:45 pm »
The phrase "working my way through" in a movie review is never a good sign.   ;)   

I did finally make it though! But, never did grab me really. Of course it does have a lot of weight on its shoulders.

Was looking for a movie that has no weight on its shoulders (at all) , and found 'Kill Command' on Netflix

Straightforward Marines vs killer robots, made for a million bucks. Thoroughly enjoyed it.

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #2752 on: July 15, 2018, 06:09:01 am »
Watched A Quiet Place.

Really liked it...though a couple of plot holes really bugged the :censor: out of me...

Offline Scaerio

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2013 Volvo C30 T5; all my exes: 2005 Suzuki Aerio SE, '02 Renault Clio, '93 Volvo 850 GLT, '78 MB W-123 230
« Reply #2753 on: July 17, 2018, 09:25:58 pm »
Watched A Quiet Place.

Really liked it...though a couple of plot holes really bugged the :censor: out of me...

I thought it was pretty good as well.

Offline quadzilla

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +391/-634
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Rock'n Rolla Nightstalker
« Reply #2754 on: August 06, 2018, 04:24:19 pm »
Mission: Impossible - Fallout

Only 40C with humidity today so we went to the theater and watched the latest MI film. I'm a fan of this franchise and this one doesn't disappoint. As always great action, chase scenes, locations, sound and very little boring fluff.

Went to the local IMAX screen although this film was not shot in IMAX, just adapted for the IMAX theaters. Still worth it though for those few actions scenes.

Another thing I noticed is the minimal use of CG which is nice to see since so many films just lay it on way too thick.

Offline ChaosphereIX

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +187/-377
  • Wont run with the pack
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2015 Jaguar XJR-L
« Reply #2755 on: August 06, 2018, 04:29:32 pm »
I heard it is the best of the series since the first, and for an entirely different reason too.

Seeing Fallout tomorrow eve, really looking forward to it.
If driving an Alfa does not restore vitality to your soul, then just pass the hospital and park at the morgue to save everyone time.

Now drives a Jaaaaaaag...and thus will not pay for anything during an outing...but it is OK, because....I drive a Jaaaaaag.

Offline quadzilla

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +391/-634
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Rock'n Rolla Nightstalker
« Reply #2756 on: August 06, 2018, 04:33:55 pm »
Seeing Fallout tomorrow eve, really looking forward to it.

Enjoy and looking forward to your thoughts.

Offline Scaerio

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #2757 on: August 06, 2018, 04:41:11 pm »
OMG - There’s a film out called ‘The Spy Who Dumped Me.’

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=kjaHhduqS5o
« Last Edit: August 06, 2018, 04:44:29 pm by Scaerio »

Offline Brig

• Brig
  • Carma: +396/-1400
  • Class Clown, Moderatrix and Resident Hag
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2016 Mazda CX-3 GS AWD
« Reply #2758 on: August 06, 2018, 06:22:15 pm »

Love Kate!

Offline Scaerio

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #2759 on: August 06, 2018, 08:54:25 pm »

Love Kate!

You know my ex was a CSIS officer, right?