Author Topic: Latest Movie Thread  (Read 853072 times)

Offline Scaerio

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +193/-127
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2013 Volvo C30 T5; all my exes: 2005 Suzuki Aerio SE, '02 Renault Clio, '93 Volvo 850 GLT, '78 MB W-123 230
Re: Latest Movie Thread
« Reply #2680 on: April 29, 2018, 02:18:24 am »
Watched ‘Love, Simon’ tonight.  I tend to avoid Hollywood LBGT+ themed films.  I know what my ‘community’ is about.  This started out cute and funny, and then the feelings of how scared and confused I was and how hard it was being a teenager/early 20-something dealing with my sexuality came flooding out through my eyes...
I'd rather be car-poor than house-poor...

Offline OliverD

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +255/-769
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 BMW 328i Touring, 1998 Jaguar XJR, 2024 Mini Cooper S
« Reply #2681 on: April 29, 2018, 06:36:12 am »
Saw A Quiet Place last night. Really well done and every scene is suspenseful.

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1254/-7209
    • View Profile
« Reply #2682 on: April 29, 2018, 07:58:20 am »
How scary was it?
How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

Offline OliverD

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +255/-769
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 BMW 328i Touring, 1998 Jaguar XJR, 2024 Mini Cooper S
« Reply #2683 on: April 29, 2018, 07:59:59 am »
How scary was it?

I'm not really a fan of scary movies, and I didn't find this to be scary per se. A handful of jump scares but it's more about the suspense. Some people around us were seriously stressed out though.  ;D

Offline JohnnyMac

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +111/-459
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Honda CR-V Sport, 2022 Honda Civic Si, 2020 Toyota Rav4 Hybrid XLE (traded in), 2020 VW Jetta GLI (Traded in), 2010 Hyundai Santa Fe Limited (sold), 2016 VW Golf R (Sold)
« Reply #2684 on: April 29, 2018, 09:59:34 am »
How scary was it?

I'm not really a fan of scary movies, and I didn't find this to be scary per se. A handful of jump scares but it's more about the suspense. Some people around us were seriously stressed out though.  ;D

We saw this last weekend and thought it was very well done.  I wouldn't call it scary but more suspenseful.  The only thing we weren't a fan of was the choice in theatre they chose to show it.  During the quieter scenes we could hear people in the arcade playing air hockey.

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #2685 on: April 29, 2018, 11:07:54 am »
How scary was it?

I'm a huge fan of movies that can completely unhinge you...scary or otherwise (which is why I'm a fan of Takashi Miike).

But IQ hates scary movies. I wanted to see this with her as I'm only able to get her to agree to one "scary" movie per year. Dragged her to a film festival to see Goodnight Mommy. About as scary/unsettling as she can stand.

This sounds like it might work. I'm guessing it's the same type of scary as Aliens?
« Last Edit: April 29, 2018, 11:09:42 am by rrocket »

Offline johngenx

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +758/-938
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2009 Toyota Corolla, 2004 Toyota Highlander V-6 4WD, 2001 Subaru Forester, 1994 Mazda Miata
« Reply #2686 on: May 07, 2018, 10:02:33 pm »
I tend to avoid Hollywood LBGT+ themed films.

Interesting, so does my daughter.  She just finds them too often trite and one-dimensional.  "Trying too hard."  Or, "the character's sexuality is their only trait."

Offline SearhardBurger

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +28/-29
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2009 VW Golf City, 2018 Honda CR-V Touring, 2013 Buick Regal GS (RIP)
« Reply #2687 on: May 08, 2018, 03:58:23 pm »
Movies watched over the last few days:

Red Dragon (Still love this movie.  Hopkins and Fiennes are excellent.)
Last Flag Flying (It was ok. Maybe trying too hard.  Enjoyed Cranston, Carell and Fishburne's chemistry)
Machester by the sea (I enjoyed it.  Very well shot, and a good story.  I am growing tired of Casey Affleck's nonchalant demeanor in every role he plays though.  It probably worked well in this case because of the character he plays.)

Offline quadzilla

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +391/-634
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Rock'n Rolla Nightstalker
« Reply #2688 on: May 08, 2018, 07:26:36 pm »
I Tonya

Recommended by a friend who I trust for similar taste. What a great movie. Even if only 1/10th of the story was accurate, what a bunch of :censor: up people.

Highly recommend.

Sent from my SM-T230NU using Tapatalk

Offline ChaosphereIX

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +187/-377
  • Wont run with the pack
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2015 Jaguar XJR-L
« Reply #2689 on: May 09, 2018, 06:48:08 am »
Avengers: Infinity War.

Just awesome, with bold choices, great action, and a villain that actually doesn't suck.
If driving an Alfa does not restore vitality to your soul, then just pass the hospital and park at the morgue to save everyone time.

Now drives a Jaaaaaaag...and thus will not pay for anything during an outing...but it is OK, because....I drive a Jaaaaaag.

Offline Scaerio

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2013 Volvo C30 T5; all my exes: 2005 Suzuki Aerio SE, '02 Renault Clio, '93 Volvo 850 GLT, '78 MB W-123 230
« Reply #2690 on: May 09, 2018, 12:25:02 pm »
I Tonya

Recommended by a friend who I trust for similar taste. What a great movie. Even if only 1/10th of the story was accurate, what a bunch of :censor: up people.

Highly recommend.

Sent from my SM-T230NU using Tapatalk

One of the best films I've seen in the past year.

Offline mlin32

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +65/-419
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 Peugeot 308 GT; 2015 Yamaha YZF-R3
« Reply #2691 on: May 13, 2018, 05:26:01 pm »
I saw "Monsieur je-sais-tout" on Saturday.

http://www.allocine.fr/film/fichefilm_gen_cfilm=257033.html

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt7305366/?ref_=nv_sr_1

Really good movie with some funny parts to it. Basically about how a single football coach has to learn to take care of his nephew with Aspergers syndrome. Quite touching in places, and a good chuckle too.
ø cons: Peugeot 308: Yamaha R3 [/URL]

Offline Scaerio

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #2692 on: May 15, 2018, 11:26:26 pm »
Saw “Isle of Dogs.”  Wes Anderson quirkiness.  I liked it.

Offline KD

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +359/-263
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 Frontier Pro-4X, 2013 Lexus GS-350
« Reply #2693 on: May 16, 2018, 07:02:16 am »
I watched Three Billboards last weekend.  Now that was a good movie!   :thumbup: :thumbup:

Lappero

« Reply #2694 on: May 18, 2018, 09:07:55 am »
Avengers: Infinity War.

Just awesome, with bold choices, great action, and a villain that actually doesn't suck.

I'm going to jump on the Infinity War bandwagon as well. The movie has quite a few storylines that they managed to combine really well and tie them up at the end. I was pretty impressed by that.

Offline quadzilla

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #2695 on: May 30, 2018, 03:46:43 pm »
The Magic Pill

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt6035294/

What if most of our modern diseases are really just symptoms of the same problem? The Magic Pill is a character-driven documentary that follows doctors, patients, scientists, chefs, farmers and journalists from around the globe who are combating illness through a paradigm shift in eating. And this simple change -- embracing fat as our main fuel -- is showing profound promise in improving the health of people, animals and the planet.

Too much one sided listen to me as I will cure all type of documentary. While I do believe that sugar, etc is evil but felt they really did stretch the truth (IMO) on how fast they could reverse some of these peoples health issues. Also felt too long, couldn't wait for it to end.

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #2696 on: May 30, 2018, 04:03:49 pm »
The Magic Pill

What if most of our modern diseases are really just symptoms of the same problem? The Magic Pill is a character-driven documentary that follows doctors, patients, scientists, chefs, farmers and journalists from around the globe who are combating illness through a paradigm shift in eating. And this simple change -- embracing fat as our main fuel -- is showing profound promise in improving the health of people, animals and the planet.

Too much one sided listen to me as I will cure all type of documentary. While I do believe that sugar, etc is evil but felt they really did stretch the truth (IMO) on how fast they could reverse some of these peoples health issues. Also felt too long, couldn't wait for it to end.

I did lots of research prior to embarking on this keto diet to be sure it was safe. And I found that the data was flawed (a lie, really) when the gov't decided to advocate a low fat, high carb diet. Whereas the reverse (low carb, higher fat/protein) seemed to be vastly superior. This is just data I found....no pre conceived notions or anything.

And I have little doubt that a drastic change in diet can indeed show massive changes IN SOME PEOPLE'S illnesses. Again...the data I've seen (plus anecdotal evidence from IQs nursingand research experience) supports it. On the flip side, I don't think everyone benefits the same, as we're all different.

For me, apart from the weight loss, I've not seen massive changes. There are still days where my IBS issues are problematic. But I'd say it has improved. However, based on what the gov't guidelines say, this type of diet should have negative aspects. Yet, all markers in my blood tests have improved...and fairly quickly too. So something positive is happening...and my diet was pretty good before hand. Not because I was a health nut (far from it) but because my IBS necessitated it. IQs Asian centric diet was pretty clean to begin with..which is what I mostly ate. Apart from the usual junk food (pizza) which I quite enjoy.

Now I'm not going to preach to anybody about what they should eat. Because I don't care what people eat. But I now feel..after looking at the data...that what the gov't recommends (low fat, high carb) isn't the best...and may be contributing to some of the obesity problem.
« Last Edit: May 30, 2018, 04:08:32 pm by rrocket »

Offline Niklasky

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +18/-22
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2019 Honda Pilot Touring, 2015 Kia Rondo EX Luxury
« Reply #2697 on: May 30, 2018, 04:14:14 pm »
The Magic Pill

I did lots of research prior to embarking on this keto diet to be sure it was safe. And I found that the data was flawed (a lie, really) when the gov't decided to advocate a low fat, high carb diet. Whereas the reverse (low carb, higher fat/protein) seemed to be vastly superior. This is just data I found....no pre conceived notions or anything.

And I have little doubt that a drastic change in diet can indeed show massive changes IN SOME PEOPLE'S illnesses. Again...the data I've seen (plus anecdotal evidence from IQs nursingand research experience) supports it. On the flip side, I don't think everyone benefits the same, as we're all different.

For me, apart from the weight loss, I've not seen massive changes. There are still days where my IBS issues are problematic. But I'd say it has improved. However, based on what the gov't guidelines say, this type of diet should have negative aspects. Yet, all markers in my blood tests have improved...and fairly quickly too. So something positive is happening...and my diet was pretty good before hand. Not because I was a health nut (far from it) but because my IBS necessitated it. IQs Asian centric diet was pretty clean to begin with..which is what I mostly ate. Apart from the usual junk food (pizza) which I quite enjoy.

Now I'm not going to preach to anybody about what they should eat. Because I don't care what people eat. But I now feel..after looking at the data...that what the gov't recommends (low fat, high carb) isn't the best...and may be contributing to some of the obesity problem.

Keto and paleo diets are very popular right now. There is at least 6 different keto diet recipe/lifestyle books at my local Costco. I have personally drastically reduced my sugar/carb consumption in the last two years, and on top of losing 50lbs, I am in great shape and I feel great. And it's not that hard once you figure out what you can eat and how to prepare it so you don't get fed up eating the same thing everyday.

I don't crave sweet stuff anymore. I see cookies, candy, cakes, etc, in front of me all the time at work, and I don't even want to touch it. I used to be a huge pasta/rice/potato eater, I don't touch that stuff anymore, and I don't miss it. I still eat a little bit of bread, but as little as possible.

Try it and you won't regret it.

Offline quadzilla

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #2698 on: May 30, 2018, 04:20:19 pm »

FTR I am anti sugar and synthetic foods. I also believe that in the long run, they only hurt people and can cause long term health issues.

So I also do believe that diets can show massive changes but I have issues with the people they used in the story.  For example, the one lady with diabetes. It seem that she was able to stop taking insulin after 6 weeks of healthy eating and to me it seemed she was a heavy user of insulin to begin with. Of course they never said how long she has been on insulin prior to the diet or showed any of her fasting numbers pre/post diet. For all we know she has a shitty Dr who said, you are fat, your levels are high so just take insulin but keep eating all the same :censor: you already are. You just had to believe them where I wanted more data to support their claims even though I agreed with the diets.

Agreed with everything else you said.

Offline ChaosphereIX

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +187/-377
  • Wont run with the pack
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2015 Jaguar XJR-L
« Reply #2699 on: May 30, 2018, 04:31:18 pm »
 ::)  :rofl2:

Obvious statement in 3...2...1...go vegan - it also is a fantastic diet for you to get healthy!

not for everyone, because we are really attached to our tastebuds and for some that is too much to ask for, but if you want to see results...it is a way to go

I have yet to see a downside for myself personally. Lost 30+ lbs, reversed early stages of heart trouble and blood pressure issues, and I am stronger than I ever was...and I still get to eat delicious food. Win win.

Also, it is the best for the planet. Fact.

Good docs to start with if you are curious: Forks Over Knives, Vegucated, Cowspiracy.
« Last Edit: May 30, 2018, 04:33:01 pm by ChaosphereIX »