Author Topic: Latest Movie Thread  (Read 853181 times)

Offline ChaosphereIX

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +187/-377
  • Wont run with the pack
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2015 Jaguar XJR-L
Re: Latest Movie Thread
« Reply #2540 on: January 22, 2018, 04:00:31 am »
I think Washington has made quite a few really good movies - solid performances.  One's I liked:

Unstoppable
Equalizer
American Gangster
The Great Debaters
Inside Man
Flight
Man on Fire
Training Day
The Hurricane
Philadelphia
Malcolm X
I would add Fallen, Book of Eli, The Siege, Remember the Titans, Bone Collector, Courage Under Fire, Pelican Brief,  and Crimson Tide to that list
If driving an Alfa does not restore vitality to your soul, then just pass the hospital and park at the morgue to save everyone time.

Now drives a Jaaaaaaag...and thus will not pay for anything during an outing...but it is OK, because....I drive a Jaaaaaag.

Offline Solstice2006

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +245/-468
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2008 Hyundai Entourage, 2007 Buick Lucerne
« Reply #2541 on: January 22, 2018, 08:57:52 am »
I think Washington has made quite a few really good movies - solid performances.  One's I liked:

Unstoppable
Equalizer
American Gangster
The Great Debaters
Inside Man
Flight
Man on Fire
Training Day
The Hurricane
Philadelphia
Malcolm X
I would add Fallen, Book of Eli, The Siege, Remember the Titans, Bone Collector, Courage Under Fire, Pelican Brief,  and Crimson Tide to that list

I would agree with most of the movies added by John, 3 of them I haven't seen. Which could enhance my view of Denzel. 

The others added by ChaosphereIX he stars in it, but in my IMO, he is not great in any of those. 

Offline Great_Big_Abyss

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +268/-457
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2019 Mazda CX-5
« Reply #2542 on: January 22, 2018, 09:08:11 am »
Two movies:  Manchester by the Sea, which I watched with the Spouse on Thursday.  Wow.  What a story.  Sad, moving movie.  Amazing production though.

Thor:Ragnarok!!!  Okay, I think other than Guardians of the Galaxy and Deadpool, this is now my favorite Marvel movie.  It was so completely different than all the other main-storyline MCU movies that preceded it.  Parts of it reminded me of Guardians of the Galaxy.  Other parts reminded me of The Fifth Element (as far as the art direction went).
Chris Hemsworth seemed a lot more - 'human' than he did in preceding movies.

Offline ChaosphereIX

• Car Crazy
  • Wont run with the pack
    • View Profile
« Reply #2543 on: January 22, 2018, 09:39:24 am »
yep Ragnarok was what a comic book movie is supposed to be all about: fun. One of the best of the genre for sure.

Offline SearhardBurger

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +28/-29
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2009 VW Golf City, 2018 Honda CR-V Touring, 2013 Buick Regal GS (RIP)
« Reply #2544 on: January 22, 2018, 10:20:25 am »
yep Ragnarok was what a comic book movie is supposed to be all about: fun. One of the best of the genre for sure.

I've heard the same thing.  Haven't watched the movie, but I believe it because I've watched a couple of other Taika Waititi movies.  They've been great, hilarious pieces of cinema.  Hunt for the Wilderpeople is so good!

Offline SKYMTL

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +30/-77
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2019 BMW 440i, 2014 Mazda 3 GT Sport
« Reply #2545 on: January 22, 2018, 11:25:03 am »
Finally got around to watching Lion last night.  Maybe I wasn't in the right frame of mind but I found it boring and in many cases completely over-acted. 

While the kid's performance was quite good, his older self is laughably portrayed as a dude who is always looking angst-ridden or confused, or a combination of the two.  There was nothing in between.  It was just terrible and obviously Oscar-bait above all else.       

Offline SearhardBurger

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +28/-29
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2009 VW Golf City, 2018 Honda CR-V Touring, 2013 Buick Regal GS (RIP)
« Reply #2546 on: January 22, 2018, 02:03:32 pm »
Just heard about this documentary called "A Woman Captured" today.  Can't wait to watch it.  It is going to be part of Sundance 2018, and deals with modern slavery.  It is about a 53-yr old single mom who has been trapped by a well off family in eastern europe, forcing her to work without pay for 10-11 years now.

Don't have many other details.  Sounds shocking.

Offline KD

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +359/-263
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 Frontier Pro-4X, 2013 Lexus GS-350
« Reply #2547 on: January 27, 2018, 08:19:14 am »
Watched American Made last night and found it very entertaining, even quite hillarious at times.  I’m no fan of Cruise but think he gave a pretty damn good performance on this one.  :thumbup:
« Last Edit: January 27, 2018, 08:20:54 am by KD »

Offline BWII

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +188/-376
    • View Profile
« Reply #2548 on: January 27, 2018, 05:08:31 pm »

I've heard the same thing.  Haven't watched the movie, but I believe it because I've watched a couple of other Taika Waititi movies.  They've been great, hilarious pieces of cinema.  Hunt for the Wilderpeople is so good!

He plays one of the aliens in Thor...I would believe it if someone told me he was hilarious. Even the outtake video was funny.

I wish Bell would put Hunt for the Wilderpeople on...I'd PVR it and watch it twice.  Maybe more.  No way I could convince anyone in here to rent it.

Offline Ex-airbalancer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +729/-1584
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 Silverado 1500 LTZ ext ended cab , 2013 Lexus RX-350 F Sport
« Reply #2549 on: January 27, 2018, 06:01:52 pm »

He plays one of the aliens in Thor...I would believe it if someone told me he was hilarious. Even the outtake video was funny.

I wish Bell would put Hunt for the Wilderpeople on...I'd PVR it and watch it twice.  Maybe more.  No way I could convince anyone in here to rent it.

Hunt for the Wilderpeople Is a funny movie

Offline PJungnitsch

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +170/-337
    • View Profile
    • Travel in Africa
  • Cars: Subaru Crosstrek, Lexus RX350, Evolve Carbon, Biktrix Juggernaut, Yamaha TW200
« Reply #2550 on: January 27, 2018, 06:16:17 pm »
Watched 'Ghost in the Shell' yesterday, enjoyed it a lot more than I thought I would. Sort of a Hongkong Sci-fi western.

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1254/-7210
    • View Profile
« Reply #2551 on: January 27, 2018, 06:28:24 pm »
Watched 'Ghost in the Shell' yesterday, enjoyed it a lot more than I thought I would. Sort of a Hongkong Sci-fi western.
The anime is waay better.
How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

Offline ChaosphereIX

• Car Crazy
  • Wont run with the pack
    • View Profile
« Reply #2552 on: January 27, 2018, 08:09:04 pm »
agreed

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #2553 on: January 27, 2018, 08:30:38 pm »
agreed
One of the best movies I saw this year (bar none) was an anime movie. It's also likely the best animated movie I've ever seen....truly beautiful. It's sets a very, very high bar animating IMO.

https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/your_name_2017/

https://www.rogerebert.com/reviews/your-name-2017

« Last Edit: January 27, 2018, 08:47:22 pm by rrocket »

Offline ChaosphereIX

• Car Crazy
  • Wont run with the pack
    • View Profile
« Reply #2554 on: January 27, 2018, 09:12:15 pm »
yeah that is getting rave reviews

Anime is by far not my thing, but I did like Ninja Scroll. Fantastic animation and story.

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #2555 on: January 27, 2018, 09:55:04 pm »
yeah that is getting rave reviews

Anime is by far not my thing, but I did like Ninja Scroll. Fantastic animation and story.
Check out Renaissance. Kinda Blade Runner-esque. Great animating, great movie. Daniel Craig stars.

https://youtu.be/EBf9buCjX3Q

Online Arthur Dent

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +186/-80
  • 42?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2556 on: January 27, 2018, 10:06:33 pm »
Watched American Made last night and found it very entertaining, even quite hillarious at times.  I’m no fan of Cruise but think he gave a pretty damn good performance on this one.  :thumbup:

It was a good show  8)

Offline Davep

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +15/-14
    • View Profile
  • Cars: first car - 1965 Hillman Super Minx!!!
« Reply #2557 on: January 28, 2018, 12:22:38 am »
Watched a foreign film, Der Staat gegen Fritz Bauer (The People vs Fritz Bauer).

It is the story of (West) Germany Attorney General Fritz Bauer receiving information about the location of Adof Eichmann in Buenos Aires in the late 50's, and due to his frustration over inaction, contacts the Israeli secret service, Mossad. The rest, as they say, is history. Although the movie is fictionalized, it is based on fact.

Even though I was a teenager during the late 60's, and was aware of the Israeli kidnap and trial of Eichmann, I was unaware of Fritz Bauer and his enormous contribution. It was only after researching today, that I learned of his contribution of bringing Nazi crimes to trial. This is a fascinating dramatic film, and I highly recommend it. It is in German with English subtitles, but the subtitles are well done, clear, concise, with a well designed font for easy quick reading.

I really enjoy foreign films, because I'm not familiar with the actors, which means I only know them as their characters. To me, I can immerse myself in the storyline, and not be distracted by some Hollywood caricature. A prime ridiculous example is the recent Matt Damon movie, The Great Wall. It would have been much better without him! It could have been a much better popcorn flick!

Offline Shorlaw

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +17/-85
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2019 Corvette GS, 2013XKR, 2018 Macan S
« Reply #2558 on: January 28, 2018, 08:57:01 am »
I got sucked in watching "Population Zero" thinking I was watching a real documentary!  It wasn't until I was well into it that I started to question that it seemed unbelievable that all this happened and I'd never heard of it, but chose to continue without checking into it.  It was a great story and I enjoyed it, but not sure how much I would have liked it if I'd known going into it.

Offline BWII

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +188/-376
    • View Profile
« Reply #2559 on: January 28, 2018, 11:24:22 am »
A prime ridiculous example is the recent Matt Damon movie, The Great Wall. It would have been much better without him! It could have been a much better popcorn flick!

Yeah, that was awful. His accent... :-X :banghead:  A no name French (or wherever) actor (to us) would've been 100% better.  Matt was almost cringe worthy in that role.  And I like him in the Bourne movies (and almost everything else he's done).