Author Topic: Latest Movie Thread  (Read 853211 times)

Offline johngenx

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +758/-938
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2009 Toyota Corolla, 2004 Toyota Highlander V-6 4WD, 2001 Subaru Forester, 1994 Mazda Miata
Re: Latest Movie Thread
« Reply #2460 on: December 26, 2017, 08:49:15 pm »
The problem with the Star Wars movie is who it's made for.  The rabid fans of the series I know LOVE it.  There's a lot of nuances in there that they all seem to love, and the story fits really well with their notions of the SW Universe.

But, for the rest of us, it's, well, okay.

It's got some real acting talent in it - which to me highlights the fact that Adam Driver is not in their league.  He's good, but not great.  Benicio Del Toro needed more screen time (like all movies he's in) and Daisy Ridley is shockingly good for someone with a short acting resume.  Laura Dern, again, fantastic, and somewhat wasted.  Mark Hamill's aged Skywalker is the best written part of the movie, and Hamill's performance surprised me - he's a solid actor!!

So, yeah, for us normal people, it's a 3/5 movie and for super-fans, a 4.5 or 5/5.

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1254/-7210
    • View Profile
« Reply #2461 on: December 26, 2017, 09:35:40 pm »
The problem with the Star Wars movie is who it's made for.  The rabid fans of the series I know LOVE it.  There's a lot of nuances in there that they all seem to love, and the story fits really well with their notions of the SW Universe.

It's got some real acting talent in it - which to me highlights the fact that Adam Driver is not in their league.  He's good, but not great.  Benicio Del Toro needed more screen time (like all movies he's in) and Daisy Ridley is shockingly good for someone with a short acting resume.  Laura Dern, again, fantastic, and somewhat wasted.  Mark Hamill's aged Skywalker is the best written part of the movie, and Hamill's performance surprised me - he's a solid actor!!

So, yeah, for us normal people, it's a 3/5 movie and for super-fans, a 4.5 or 5/5.
But what's normal?

I'm a huge Star Wars fan. It was THE movie of my youth. It's the first movie I remember seeing in the movie. I have a first print edition "Star Wars" book. Now I don't have Star Wars PJ's or anything, but I look forward to these movies.

I think part of my annoyance is everything fits together now so easily and quickly..there's no cliff hanger sense to it...no great development of characters.

They are let downs IMO
How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

Offline Solstice2006

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +245/-468
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2008 Hyundai Entourage, 2007 Buick Lucerne
« Reply #2462 on: December 26, 2017, 10:04:36 pm »

But what's normal?

I'm a huge Star Wars fan. It was THE movie of my youth. It's the first movie I remember seeing in the movie. I have a first print edition "Star Wars" book. Now I don't have Star Wars PJ's or anything, but I look forward to these movies.

I think part of my annoyance is everything fits together now so easily and quickly..there's no cliff hanger sense to it...no great development of characters.

They are let downs IMO

I think part of the problem is huge Star Wars fan like us (i have no costume), expect equal or better then episodes 4, 5, and 6.  Pretty tough to beat.  Also the movies that are being written, last 20 years has changed (on average).  Episode 4, 5, and 6 would be too slow today for a teenager, if it was just released in the theater.  Movies too slow for them. 

« Last Edit: December 26, 2017, 10:31:46 pm by Solstice2006 »

Offline ChaosphereIX

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +187/-377
  • Wont run with the pack
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2015 Jaguar XJR-L
« Reply #2463 on: December 26, 2017, 10:21:06 pm »

But what's normal?

They are let downs IMO

I think part of the problem is huge Star Wars fan luck us (i have no costumer), expect equal or better than the episode 4, 5, and 6.  Pretty tough to beat.  Also they movies are being written, last 20 years has changed (on average).  Episode 4, 5, and 6 would be too slow today for a teenager, if it was just released in the theater.

hitting the rum-nog heavily? Or just a case of "screw editing, they get the point" lol

anyways, I agree. 4-6 set a standard that still has yet to be beat, especially from a storytelling and character development point of view
If driving an Alfa does not restore vitality to your soul, then just pass the hospital and park at the morgue to save everyone time.

Now drives a Jaaaaaaag...and thus will not pay for anything during an outing...but it is OK, because....I drive a Jaaaaaag.

Offline Solstice2006

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #2464 on: December 26, 2017, 10:32:41 pm »

But what's normal?

They are let downs IMO

I think part of the problem is huge Star Wars fan luck us (i have no costumer), expect equal or better than the episode 4, 5, and 6.  Pretty tough to beat.  Also they movies are being written, last 20 years has changed (on average).  Episode 4, 5, and 6 would be too slow today for a teenager, if it was just released in the theater.

hitting the rum-nog heavily? Or just a case of "screw editing, they get the point" lol

anyways, I agree. 4-6 set a standard that still has yet to be beat, especially from a storytelling and character development point of view

^ Combination of both! But I touched it up, just for you!  Happy Holidays

Offline ChaosphereIX

• Car Crazy
  • Wont run with the pack
    • View Profile
« Reply #2465 on: December 26, 2017, 10:52:48 pm »

But what's normal?

They are let downs IMO

^ Combination of both! But I touched it up, just for you!  Happy Holidays

enjoy, going to dig into the Oban 14 soon myself. Best of the season sir  :cheers:

Offline mlin32

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +65/-419
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 Peugeot 308 GT; 2015 Yamaha YZF-R3
« Reply #2466 on: December 28, 2017, 12:08:22 am »

After watching in this evening with the family (father really wanted to watch it.....I relented for the sake of being together), I would have to agree. I'm not a huge Star Wars guy myself.

I almost fell asleep the first 30min or so. The movie itself was too predictable, not a lot of thought to it. I got bored pretty quickly. Towards the end of the movie I found an excuse to step out to answer an email from a close friend.

Then again, I'm the kind of guy that prefers movies with introspection and deep-thought. The ones that make you think about your place in life.
ø cons: Peugeot 308: Yamaha R3 [/URL]

Offline BWII

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +188/-376
    • View Profile
« Reply #2467 on: December 28, 2017, 02:08:34 pm »
Then again, I'm the kind of guy that prefers movies with introspection and deep-thought. The ones that make you think about your place in life.

Like Up!...or The Ant Bully.  ;D

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #2468 on: December 28, 2017, 02:46:07 pm »

Please share your list....

Offline blur911

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +243/-779
  • Nasty Weasel
    • View Profile
  • Cars: and bikes by age:BMW, Porsche, Subaru, Suzuki, Suzuki, Mazda, Jaguar, Kawasaki, Porsche, GMC, Suzuki
« Reply #2469 on: December 29, 2017, 11:08:43 am »

I'm thinking Care Bears and Zombieland.
Mr Pickypants

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #2470 on: December 30, 2017, 09:29:25 am »
SonyHD channel is showing "The Fog of War" and "Why We Fight" back to back.

Offline mlin32

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #2471 on: December 30, 2017, 02:45:20 pm »

I actually like Up ! a lot.

The others I mentioned in other pages past: Corporate (2017) , La Loi du Marché , Le Petit Prince , Graduation (2016) , Incendies, A Man Called Ove, etc....

Offline BWII

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #2472 on: December 30, 2017, 02:58:55 pm »

So did I. I would say it is better than Star Wars.

Offline Solstice2006

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #2473 on: December 30, 2017, 03:03:49 pm »

So did I. I would say it is better than Star Wars.

Ha Ha! I could never compare movies that aren't in the same genre! It's like comparing to Seinfeld to The Sopranos, I love them both!

Offline BWII

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #2474 on: January 02, 2018, 12:33:41 am »
My wife wanted to see Despicable Me 3, so we rented it.  It was OK.  I can understand why Steve Carell won't make anymore.  Probably getting a little long in the tooth.

Then tonight we rented the one I wanted to see, Hitmans Bodyguard.  A lot of MOFO's and general swearing up the wazoo...but a pretty damn good movie.  Good action scenes, the good guys never get shot by so many machine guns but hit their target all the time...good time waster.  I'd give it an 8 out of 10...maybe 9.  Hell straight up 10.  I liked it.

Offline ChaosphereIX

• Car Crazy
  • Wont run with the pack
    • View Profile
« Reply #2475 on: January 02, 2018, 01:01:49 am »
My wife wanted to see Despicable Me 3, so we rented it.  It was OK.  I can understand why Steve Carell won't make anymore.  Probably getting a little long in the tooth.

Then tonight we rented the one I wanted to see, Hitmans Bodyguard.  A lot of MOFO's and general swearing up the wazoo...but a pretty damn good movie.  Good action scenes, the good guys never get shot by so many machine guns but hit their target all the time...good time waster.  I'd give it an 8 out of 10...maybe 9.  Hell straight up 10.  I liked it.

the Hitman's Bodyguard was a time waster for sure, a serviceable action movie...but nothing more than that. It basically was Safe House 2 for me. My fav character was Salma Hayek actually, she was cool. Certainly not an amazing one, but a forgettable perfectly adequate popcorn flick to waste an evening.

Offline mlin32

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #2476 on: January 02, 2018, 06:12:11 pm »
To make up for such a mediocre Star Wars movie, I watched Downsizing (Petit Format) with my mother. A few good funny spots, thought it was worth the time/money for a half-way decent film. Good acting on both Matt Damon and Hong Chau.

Offline Arthur Dent

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +186/-80
  • 42?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2477 on: January 02, 2018, 06:16:54 pm »
Tried to go see Jumanji with the kids but it was sold out an hour before opening. Hmmm.

Offline PJungnitsch

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +170/-337
    • View Profile
    • Travel in Africa
  • Cars: Subaru Crosstrek, Lexus RX350, Evolve Carbon, Biktrix Juggernaut, Yamaha TW200
« Reply #2478 on: January 02, 2018, 06:38:48 pm »
Watched ‘Atomic Blonde’ and ‘Valerian and the City of a Thousand Planets’

Enjoyed both, but very different movies.

Atomic is Charlize playing her Mad Max character in what seemed in my memory a very good recreation of the grimy end of European communism

Whereas Valerian was an unexpected visual feast

Offline ChaosphereIX

• Car Crazy
  • Wont run with the pack
    • View Profile
« Reply #2479 on: January 02, 2018, 07:17:42 pm »
Watched ‘Atomic Blonde’ and ‘Valerian and the City of a Thousand Planets’

Enjoyed both, but very different movies.

Atomic is Charlize playing her Mad Max character in what seemed in my memory a very good recreation of the grimy end of European communism

Whereas Valerian was an unexpected visual feast
Valerian looked great but was a bad movie

Atomic Blonde was a good time, enjoyed it. The soundtrack, though I loved, was way too high in the mix - overpowering.