Author Topic: Latest Movie Thread  (Read 852929 times)

Offline johngenx

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +758/-938
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2009 Toyota Corolla, 2004 Toyota Highlander V-6 4WD, 2001 Subaru Forester, 1994 Mazda Miata
Re: Latest Movie Thread
« Reply #3280 on: October 23, 2019, 09:16:09 pm »
That documentary had me alternating between crying and punching things.  The systemic abuse of those girls is horrifying, but the allowance of it despite people speaking up is the worst thing of all.

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1254/-7209
    • View Profile
« Reply #3281 on: October 23, 2019, 09:41:28 pm »
That documentary had me alternating between crying and punching things.  The systemic abuse of those girls is horrifying, but the allowance of it despite people speaking up is the worst thing of all.

Ya, was terrible.  Much of the modus operandi was like the abuses at the hands of priests.  But the church might be worse yet; when they found out about the abuses, they just shrugged and sent the priest to another church.  If you want to be really pissed watch: Deliver Us From Evil and Mea Maxima Culpa: Silence in the House of God

In the end, I was disappointed that Penn State and Michigan State didn't get the "death sentence" for college sports after horrific situations like these.
« Last Edit: October 23, 2019, 09:45:21 pm by rrocket »
How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

Offline OliverD

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +255/-769
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 BMW 328i Touring, 1998 Jaguar XJR, 2024 Mini Cooper S

Offline dirtyjeffer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +296/-1312
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2021 Toyota Venza Limited, 2016 Kia Sorento EX AWD
« Reply #3283 on: November 05, 2019, 11:49:00 am »
This is good:

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/11/04/opinion/martin-scorsese-marvel.html

Yup.
agreed...and i get it...it's a business, and CGI loaded action flicks bring in the cash...but in terms of artwork, it's a tough one...many of the award winning movies that are praised by critics are often movies no one has heard about, or few actually watch (and many regular people don't like).

it's one thing i've always admired about Quentin Tarantino...his movies are not about CGI and flashy effects, but about complex characters with actors chosen perfectly for their respective roles...he's a genius at it.
When you've lost the argument, admit defeat and hit the smite button.

Offline OliverD

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #3284 on: November 05, 2019, 12:09:41 pm »
I think some of them would be watched by more people if they were even just accessible, but they aren't. The big studios squeeze the small movies out of the theatres.

Offline Great_Big_Abyss

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +268/-457
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2019 Mazda CX-5
« Reply #3285 on: November 05, 2019, 12:12:12 pm »
A decade ago when I was in my twenties, I was into the superhero genre, and enjoyed watching the early marvel movies.  As I've aged, they've become less and less interesting to me.  I'll watch them all at home, but even then, it's only because my eighteen year old stepson wants to watch them, and we'll watch them as a family.  More often than not I'll doze off partway through the film and sleep through a couple of scenes. 

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1424/-2121
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2020 Toyota Tundra, 2021 Lexus GX460, 2018 Kawasaki Versys X300
« Reply #3286 on: November 05, 2019, 12:24:47 pm »
A decade ago when I was in my twenties, I was into the superhero genre, and enjoyed watching the early marvel movies.  As I've aged, they've become less and less interesting to me.  I'll watch them all at home, but even then, it's only because my eighteen year old stepson wants to watch them, and we'll watch them as a family.  More often than not I'll doze off partway through the film and sleep through a couple of scenes.

While I mainly agree, the Deadpool movies and the last Wolverine movie were absolutely brilliant. The avengers and such were meh.
Lighten up Francis.....

Offline PJungnitsch

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +170/-337
    • View Profile
    • Travel in Africa
  • Cars: Subaru Crosstrek, Lexus RX350, Evolve Carbon, Biktrix Juggernaut, Yamaha TW200
« Reply #3287 on: November 05, 2019, 01:09:52 pm »
Heh, Scorsese was never a 'fun movie' guy

I don't see as many Marvel movies as I would like as my wife is not keen (still haven't seen Avengers Endgame!), but I enjoy them generally.

Guardians of the Galaxy and the last Thor stand out for me so far

We just saw a Marvel: Universe of Superheros exhibit at our local space and science center and the history of Marvel (and comics in general) was interesting. Didn't realize how old the characters are, most are at least from the 60's.

Speaking of my wife, she did get a kick out of how much of the driving force behind Marvel was Jewish, ie Stan Lee = Stanley Lieber, Jack Kirby = Jacob Kurtzberg. They got into comics because it was a way around the discrimination of the time 

Offline dirtyjeffer

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #3288 on: November 05, 2019, 01:15:19 pm »
Speaking of my wife, she did get a kick out of how much of the driving force behind Marvel was Jewish, ie Stan Lee = Stanley Lieber, Jack Kirby = Jacob Kurtzberg. They got into comics because it was a way around the discrimination of the time
most of Hollywood (movies, tv, etc) have a lot of Jewish people involved at the top.

Marlon Brando made an interesting comment back in the day about it, but I'm not sure how his comments would be seen today (may be labelled as antisemitic, but an interesting observation nonetheless).

Offline dirtyjeffer

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #3289 on: November 05, 2019, 01:16:48 pm »
I don't see as many Marvel movies as I would like as my wife is not keen (still haven't seen Avengers Endgame!), but I enjoy them generally.
i'm in the same boat...i don't go see these movies expecting Academy Award performances...i see them to be entertained...and i usually am.

Offline OliverD

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #3290 on: November 05, 2019, 01:22:57 pm »
Heh, Scorsese was never a 'fun movie' guy

The Wolf of Wall Street is pretty fun.

Offline Shorlaw

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +17/-85
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2019 Corvette GS, 2013XKR, 2018 Macan S
« Reply #3291 on: November 05, 2019, 01:37:20 pm »

While I mainly agree, the Deadpool movies and the last Wolverine movie were absolutely brilliant. The avengers and such were meh.

I watch them all, not a die hard fan, but Venom was one I really enjoyed.  Almost shut it off at the beginning, but then it really came together and was more unique like Deadpool

Offline PJungnitsch

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +170/-337
    • View Profile
    • Travel in Africa
  • Cars: Subaru Crosstrek, Lexus RX350, Evolve Carbon, Biktrix Juggernaut, Yamaha TW200
« Reply #3292 on: November 05, 2019, 01:53:08 pm »
Marlon Brando made an interesting comment back in the day about it, but I'm not sure how his comments would be seen today (may be labelled as antisemitic, but an interesting observation nonetheless).

I think he was right, but there's a good reason why it happened. The entertainment industry in general was a way forward when many other paths were closed or restricted.

Interestingly Bollywood's early female stars were all Jewish, but for a different reason. Religion restrictions didn't allow Hindus and Muslims to be in film, so the studios got around it by hiring from the few Jews in the country:

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt7558522/

Offline quadzilla

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +391/-634
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Rock'n Rolla Nightstalker
« Reply #3293 on: November 05, 2019, 01:59:35 pm »
We finally watched Green Book on the weekend was disappointed? While a good enough movie, to me it falls into the cookie cutter Hollywood race movies.

Two colours with different backgrounds meet up and have to spend time together while learning how the other half lives to which they learn something about themselves. Cue credits. At least Archie Bunker and George Jefferson gave me more laughs.

Think they only talked or showed the book for about 2 minutes in the entire film.

Where was any of the history of the Greenbook? The people helping black people stay in safe houses? There could have been much more education/history written into the movie.

Maybe I expect too much from the old and tired Hollywood.

Offline Great_Big_Abyss

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +268/-457
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2019 Mazda CX-5
« Reply #3294 on: November 05, 2019, 02:02:00 pm »

Yes, Deadpool, Wolverine and Thor are standouts.  But that's not the genre that's doing it for me (well, maybe Wolverine...that was fantastic), but rather the strength of the characters and the actors.  Ryan Reynolds as Deadpool is absolutely hilarious and Chris Hemsworth is pretty funny, too.

Offline Arthur Dent

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +186/-80
  • 42?
    • View Profile
« Reply #3295 on: November 05, 2019, 02:30:14 pm »
I have no problem with comic book movies but they are such a huge volume of them I think we are suffering in a lack of variety these days. 80% super hero or sequel movies. Snooze.

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1424/-2121
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2020 Toyota Tundra, 2021 Lexus GX460, 2018 Kawasaki Versys X300
« Reply #3296 on: November 05, 2019, 02:59:23 pm »

Yes, Deadpool, Wolverine and Thor are standouts.  But that's not the genre that's doing it for me (well, maybe Wolverine...that was fantastic), but rather the strength of the characters and the actors.  Ryan Reynolds as Deadpool is absolutely hilarious and Chris Hemsworth is pretty funny, too.

Oh yeah, and Thor Ragnarok was a fun experience as well.

Offline Niklasky

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +18/-22
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2019 Honda Pilot Touring, 2015 Kia Rondo EX Luxury
« Reply #3297 on: November 05, 2019, 10:46:57 pm »
The latest Joker movie, although not strictly a superhero movie, was a breath of fresh air in an ocean of insipid superhero movies.

Offline johngenx

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +758/-938
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2009 Toyota Corolla, 2004 Toyota Highlander V-6 4WD, 2001 Subaru Forester, 1994 Mazda Miata
« Reply #3298 on: November 05, 2019, 11:14:34 pm »
The latest Joker movie, although not strictly a superhero movie, was a breath of fresh air in an ocean of insipid superhero movies.

It was rough.  The violence was not comic-book like at all.  I liked it, a lot.  My daughter did too, but we were glad we didn't take the missus.  A real commentary on contemporary society as well as a gripping story.

Offline CanuckS2K

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +398/-316
    • View Profile
    • Prestige Auto Detail
  • Cars: 1991 Toyota MR2 Turbo, 2005 Honda S2000, 2014 Infiniti Q50S, 2017 Ford F-150 Lariat
« Reply #3299 on: November 12, 2019, 09:42:01 pm »
It's rare that I go to the theatre to see movies, but I went tonight and saw Midway.  I loved it and thought it was very well done.  IMHO, it's the best war movie in quite some time.
Owner - Prestige Auto Detailing & Hammond River Brewing