Author Topic: Latest Movie Thread  (Read 852888 times)

Offline Railton

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +243/-156
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 Infiniti QX60 Touring, 2010 Infiniti G37S 6M, 2020 Hyundai Kona 1.6T Trend
Re: Latest Movie Thread
« Reply #3220 on: August 27, 2019, 01:38:30 pm »
Anyone watch the Netflix series Peaky Blinders?

Started episode 1, season 1 last night and am hooked.

Might take today off work....
That's a great show.
Season 5 released on BBC now.
Railton

Any idea when it will be available on Netflix Canada ?
No idea.
This discussion is in the wrong thread anyway.
Railton
Do you realize that in about 30 (updated as requested) years, we'll have millions of old ladies running around with tattoos?

Offline PJungnitsch

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +170/-337
    • View Profile
    • Travel in Africa
  • Cars: Subaru Crosstrek, Lexus RX350, Evolve Carbon, Biktrix Juggernaut, Yamaha TW200
« Reply #3221 on: August 27, 2019, 01:43:10 pm »
Seems like there is nothing Theron can't do
i saw Atomic Blonde a couple of weeks ago...she is great in that movie...she's essentially a female action star, and she really gives it all...there's a bit of a girl on girl love scene the movie could have done without (it doesn't need it), but overall very entertaining.

That was good. She was very good in 'Fury Road' as well (despite an odd hatred of dust)

Apparently sequels might be coming finally

https://www.indiewire.com/2019/08/mad-max-fury-road-charlize-theron-fear-dust-furiosa-1202163768/

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1254/-7209
    • View Profile
« Reply #3222 on: September 02, 2019, 05:12:22 am »
I watched Never Look Away.

I can see why it was nominated for Best Foreign Language Film and Best Cinematography.

This is a really good movie.
How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

Offline random006

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +123/-83
    • View Profile
  • Cars: His - 2018 Subaru Crosstrek .... Hers - 2008 Honda Civic DX
« Reply #3223 on: September 02, 2019, 01:23:14 pm »
We watched the Clint Eastwood film "The Mule" (2018) last night.  I am including what might seem like redundant details to most in mentioning both Eastwood and the year, simply because it turns out there are THREE movies called "The Mule", all made in the last 5 years or so!  :o

Quite good.  Not overdone or cloying or dismissive at all.  What is interesting is that it is based on a true story of a 90 year old man becoming a mule for a drug cartel.  Leo Earl Sharpe's story can be found here:  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Leo_Sharp

Eastwood seems to have settled into playing irascible old men who always march to the beat of their own drummer quite nicely.  In fact, the lone independent man seems to have been his mantra from the beginning.  look at his famous westerns and of course Dirty Harry.  It certainly is in line with his political views, at least as far I can make out.
I have come here to chew bubblegum and kick ass...and I'm all out of bubblegum.    -    John Nada (played by Roddy Piper) in "They Live"

Offline johngenx

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +758/-938
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2009 Toyota Corolla, 2004 Toyota Highlander V-6 4WD, 2001 Subaru Forester, 1994 Mazda Miata
« Reply #3224 on: September 02, 2019, 04:29:35 pm »
We saw "Blinded by the Light" last night. Didn't expect much but it was one of the only original movies playing. It's really good!  We saw it in the VIP which is overpriced and the seat service thing is silly, but oh well. No lunes for the washrooms at least.

Offline Niklasky

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +18/-22
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2019 Honda Pilot Touring, 2015 Kia Rondo EX Luxury
« Reply #3225 on: September 03, 2019, 09:38:35 am »
I'm tempted to watch "IT" on Netflix. Anybody seen it ? Is it worth it ?

Offline Ex-airbalancer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +729/-1584
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 Silverado 1500 LTZ ext ended cab , 2013 Lexus RX-350 F Sport
« Reply #3226 on: September 03, 2019, 01:43:40 pm »
Boring, only good part was looking to see if I  recognized any places , it was filmed in Port Hope
« Last Edit: September 03, 2019, 03:27:01 pm by Airbalancer »

Offline Bubba

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +382/-442
  • Vice President, Autos.ca Arizona Operations
    • View Profile
    • My photo site
  • Cars: 2013 Toyota Corolla LE
« Reply #3227 on: September 03, 2019, 01:59:07 pm »
We watched the Clint Eastwood film "The Mule" (2018) last night.  I am including what might seem like redundant details to most in mentioning both Eastwood and the year, simply because it turns out there are THREE movies called "The Mule", all made in the last 5 years or so!  :o

Quite good.  Not overdone or cloying or dismissive at all.  What is interesting is that it is based on a true story of a 90 year old man becoming a mule for a drug cartel.  Leo Earl Sharpe's story can be found here:  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Leo_Sharp

Eastwood seems to have settled into playing irascible old men who always march to the beat of their own drummer quite nicely.  In fact, the lone independent man seems to have been his mantra from the beginning.  look at his famous westerns and of course Dirty Harry.  It certainly is in line with his political views, at least as far I can make out.

I enjoyed The Mule as well.
My reading of history convinces me that most bad government results from too much government. - Thomas Jefferson

Offline quadzilla

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +391/-634
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Rock'n Rolla Nightstalker
« Reply #3228 on: September 03, 2019, 02:00:24 pm »
Boring, only go part was looking to see if I  recognized any places , it was filmed in Port Hope

I also think they shot some scenes at the West Montrose Covered Bridge which is the last wooden covered bridge in Ontario and the oldest such bridge in Canada.

Offline Ex-airbalancer

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #3229 on: September 03, 2019, 02:33:21 pm »
Boring, only go part was looking to see if I  recognized any places , it was filmed in Port Hope

I also think they shot some scenes at the West Montrose Covered Bridge which is the last wooden covered bridge in Ontario and the oldest such bridge in Canada.

The old house was somewhere in Oshawa

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1254/-7209
    • View Profile
« Reply #3230 on: September 03, 2019, 02:53:51 pm »
Yea, it's worth it.

Offline Ex-airbalancer

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile

Offline blur911

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +243/-779
  • Nasty Weasel
    • View Profile
  • Cars: and bikes by age:BMW, Porsche, Subaru, Suzuki, Suzuki, Mazda, Jaguar, Kawasaki, Porsche, GMC, Suzuki
« Reply #3232 on: September 06, 2019, 09:31:16 am »

Watched the first 5 minutes with my wife, did not appear to be our kind of movie.

Watched the 3rd epic season of Ash VS Evil Dead instead, we like our gore with a good laugh and not taken so seriously.
Mr Pickypants

Offline Niklasky

• Drunk on Fuel
    • View Profile
« Reply #3233 on: September 06, 2019, 09:36:21 am »

Watched the first 5 minutes with my wife, did not appear to be our kind of movie.

Watched the 3rd epic season of Ash VS Evil Dead instead, we like our gore with a good laugh and not taken so seriously.

Ash vs. Evil Dead is VERY entertaining. Bruce Campbell at his best, as usual. He was at FanExpo and is always a crowd favorite. Hundreds of people line up to get his autograph and chat with him.

Offline Niklasky

• Drunk on Fuel
    • View Profile
« Reply #3234 on: September 06, 2019, 09:53:46 am »

Offline quadzilla

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +391/-634
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Rock'n Rolla Nightstalker
« Reply #3235 on: September 06, 2019, 09:59:21 am »

And now the bridge has been closed due to structural damage. Really hope it gets fixed.

Offline Jaeger

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +707/-12385
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2015 Hyundai Genesis 3.8 AWD, 2016 Honda Fit EX-L Navi, 2019 Genesis G80 3.3t Sport, 2021 Honda CB650R, 2023 Honda Monkey
« Reply #3236 on: September 06, 2019, 10:17:25 am »

Some Stephen King novels translate readily and compellingly to the big screen.  For others, it's almost impossible.  This would be an example of the latter.  The book was tense and terrifying.  But the movie(s) reduce the multidimensional terror that is Pennywise to something that is merely a scary clown.  An really, aren't all clowns pretty much scary to begin with?  ;D
Wokeism is nothing more than the recognition and opposition of bigotry in all its forms.  Bigots are predictably triggered.

Offline Niklasky

• Drunk on Fuel
    • View Profile
« Reply #3237 on: September 06, 2019, 10:38:15 am »

Some Stephen King novels translate readily and compellingly to the big screen.  For others, it's almost impossible.  This would be an example of the latter.  The book was tense and terrifying.  But the movie(s) reduce the multidimensional terror that is Pennywise to something that is merely a scary clown.  An really, aren't all clowns pretty much scary to begin with?  ;D

I agree that some Stephen King movie adaptations sucked. The Mist is one of them. The Dome TV show sucked balls. The Carrie remake was bad too.

However, Misery, Dolores Claiborne, the Shining and Shawshank redemption were brilliant.

Offline Ex-airbalancer

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #3238 on: September 06, 2019, 12:12:55 pm »

I agree that some Stephen King movie adaptations sucked. The Mist is one of them. The Dome TV show sucked balls. The Carrie remake was bad too.

However, Misery, Dolores Claiborne, the Shining and Shawshank redemption were brilliant.
And the Green Mile

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1424/-2121
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2020 Toyota Tundra, 2021 Lexus GX460, 2018 Kawasaki Versys X300
« Reply #3239 on: September 06, 2019, 12:40:46 pm »

Some Stephen King novels translate readily and compellingly to the big screen.  For others, it's almost impossible.  This would be an example of the latter.  The book was tense and terrifying.  But the movie(s) reduce the multidimensional terror that is Pennywise to something that is merely a scary clown.  An really, aren't all clowns pretty much scary to begin with? ;D

Abso-feckin-lutely!!!!
Lighten up Francis.....