Author Topic: Latest Movie Thread  (Read 852754 times)

Offline Great_Big_Abyss

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +268/-457
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2019 Mazda CX-5
Re: Latest Movie Thread
« Reply #3160 on: June 03, 2019, 11:43:52 am »
We watched Shazam this weekend at home.  I had no idea what to expect, and was therefore pleasantly surprised.  I'm not normally a fan of DC movies (they're too dark and serious IMO), but this one was fun and goofy.  It was just a fun superhero movie that didn't take itself seriously at all. 

Offline PJungnitsch

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +170/-337
    • View Profile
    • Travel in Africa
  • Cars: Subaru Crosstrek, Lexus RX350, Evolve Carbon, Biktrix Juggernaut, Yamaha TW200
« Reply #3161 on: June 03, 2019, 01:00:36 pm »
Watched 'Hunter Killer' on Netflix yesterday. Better than I expected, good eat popcorn and relax military action movie
the stupidity of that movie made me spit on my screen in anger

anyone who knows anything about submarine combat should avoid this movie at all costs...it infuriates more than it entertains

I think anyone who knows anything about a subject should avoid movies made about that subject, unless you're very tolerant of artistic licence.

I felt like he did when I was watching 'Fury'.

That said, submariners actually seemed to like Hunter Killer:

https://www.dailypress.com/news/military/military/navy/dp-nws-hunter-killer-submarine-navy-top-gun-1027-story.html

Offline ChaosphereIX

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +187/-377
  • Wont run with the pack
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2015 Jaguar XJR-L
« Reply #3162 on: June 03, 2019, 01:50:50 pm »
Watched 'Hunter Killer' on Netflix yesterday. Better than I expected, good eat popcorn and relax military action movie
the stupidity of that movie made me spit on my screen in anger

anyone who knows anything about submarine combat should avoid this movie at all costs...it infuriates more than it entertains

I think anyone who knows anything about a subject should avoid movies made about that subject, unless you're very tolerant of artistic licence.

I felt like he did when I was watching 'Fury'.

That said, submariners actually seemed to like Hunter Killer:

https://www.dailypress.com/news/military/military/navy/dp-nws-hunter-killer-submarine-navy-top-gun-1027-story.html
yeah I know one who thought it was a good time, even considering the somewhat lack of understanding about modern submarine combat...as they did get some things right, if a little simplistic in presentation - See JiveTurkey's Youtube on it, he is an ex-688 sonarman. I know movies cant be totally realistic if they want to be "Hollywood level" fun, but Hunt For Red October was a great movie, and it got more right than this movie - but again, not everything by a long stretch.

Fury was a fun movie until the last act, where it got the stupids...even though the only other engagement that was realistic was the Panzerfaust ambush.
If driving an Alfa does not restore vitality to your soul, then just pass the hospital and park at the morgue to save everyone time.

Now drives a Jaaaaaaag...and thus will not pay for anything during an outing...but it is OK, because....I drive a Jaaaaaag.

Offline Brig

• Brig
  • Carma: +396/-1400
  • Class Clown, Moderatrix and Resident Hag
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2016 Mazda CX-3 GS AWD
« Reply #3163 on: June 03, 2019, 05:28:22 pm »
What about Das Boot?  Shite, or accurate?  Loved that movie.

Offline ChaosphereIX

• Car Crazy
  • Wont run with the pack
    • View Profile
« Reply #3164 on: June 03, 2019, 10:22:31 pm »
as far as the essentials of submarine combat in WWII, it gets most things right...possibly the best submarine movie ever made...still

I love that film too.

Online rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1254/-7209
    • View Profile
« Reply #3165 on: June 03, 2019, 10:33:23 pm »
as far as the essentials of submarine combat in WWII, it gets most things right...possibly the best submarine movie ever made...still

I love that film too.

I watched this a few weeks ago.  Based on a true story apparently.  Pretty bonkers.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LANyo2O40lM
How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

Offline buenavides1

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +0/-0
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Audi A4
« Reply #3166 on: June 04, 2019, 12:57:00 am »
What are your thoughts about Matt Damon and Christian Bale in the upcoming movie Ford v Ferrari?

Offline ChaosphereIX

• Car Crazy
  • Wont run with the pack
    • View Profile
« Reply #3167 on: June 04, 2019, 07:02:50 am »
I am very excited for that movie, both are good actors that know how to get into a role.

Offline heatwave

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +0/-3
    • View Profile
  • Cars: bmw
« Reply #3168 on: June 24, 2019, 11:24:31 am »
Brightburn
Kept me interested all the way through, however with the way it ended It seemed like there should be some kind of ending that's missing

Offline Niklasky

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +18/-22
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2019 Honda Pilot Touring, 2015 Kia Rondo EX Luxury
« Reply #3169 on: June 24, 2019, 11:40:15 am »
I watched Murder Mystery on Netflix, I wanted to see what all the hype was about. It's apparently the most watched show on Netflix. Over 30 million people watched it within the first 72 hours of its release.

Very popular, but only 45% on Rotten Tomatoes.

It's funny, Jennifer Aniston is good, I never like Adam Sandler that much and this movie didn't change my mind about him. He just over does things.

I like how they created a comedic "whodunnit". I was actually really into it, wanting to find out who the killer is, while having good laughs. It's not a great movie by any standard, but it is watchable and somewhat funny.

If you have an hour and a half to kill, go watch it.

Offline Niklasky

• Drunk on Fuel
    • View Profile
« Reply #3170 on: June 24, 2019, 11:43:27 am »

Bad movie, but decent entertainment. The kind of movie where you need to unplug your brain and dive into a bucket of popcorn to really enjoy.

I wouldn't recommend it.

Even Triple Frontier was better, as far as popcorn movies go.

Offline Ex-airbalancer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +729/-1584
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 Silverado 1500 LTZ ext ended cab , 2013 Lexus RX-350 F Sport
« Reply #3171 on: June 24, 2019, 12:01:20 pm »
I watched Murder Mystery on Netflix, I wanted to see what all the hype was about. It's apparently the most watched show on Netflix. Over 30 million people watched it within the first 72 hours of its release.

Very popular, but only 45% on Rotten Tomatoes.

It's funny, Jennifer Aniston is good, I never like Adam Sandler that much and this movie didn't change my mind about him. He just over does things.

I like how they created a comedic "whodunnit". I was actually really into it, wanting to find out who the killer is, while having good laughs. It's not a great movie by any standard, but it is watchable and somewhat funny.

If you have an hour and a half to kill, go watch it.
Caught a bit of it, it is a crappy movie

Offline quadzilla

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +391/-634
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Rock'n Rolla Nightstalker
« Reply #3172 on: June 24, 2019, 12:04:42 pm »

I watched it and thought it was great but I enjoy sarcastic humour. While not a huge Sandler fan (although him fighting Bob Barker gets a 10/10 from me) I thought he played his role very well and some of his lines had me in stitches. Anniston isn't a great actor IMO and these are the perfect roles for her.

Offline Niklasky

• Drunk on Fuel
    • View Profile
« Reply #3173 on: June 24, 2019, 01:02:52 pm »

I watched it and thought it was great but I enjoy sarcastic humour. While not a huge Sandler fan (although him fighting Bob Barker gets a 10/10 from me) I thought he played his role very well and some of his lines had me in stitches. Anniston isn't a great actor IMO and these are the perfect roles for her.

I agree that Aniston is not a great actress, but she's pretty good in stupid comedies, like this one or Horrible Bosses for example.

Offline quadzilla

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +391/-634
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Rock'n Rolla Nightstalker
« Reply #3174 on: June 24, 2019, 03:21:15 pm »

I agree that Aniston is not a great actress, but she's pretty good in stupid comedies, like this one or Horrible Bosses for example.

Aniston should have gotten an Oscar for Horrible Bosses. She was awesome in that movie.

Offline johngenx

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +758/-938
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2009 Toyota Corolla, 2004 Toyota Highlander V-6 4WD, 2001 Subaru Forester, 1994 Mazda Miata
« Reply #3175 on: June 24, 2019, 03:28:48 pm »
Anniston can act when the right role comes along, but she's not picky. In The Good Girl she's actually really good, and suprised me in Friends With Money.

She doesn't seem to take herself very seriously and takes jobs even if the role is not great. I suspect she just likes working.

One thing she takes very seriously is her looks. She's basically ageless. The dedication to diet and fitness along with staying out of the sun, etc, is incredible.

Offline Niklasky

• Drunk on Fuel
    • View Profile
« Reply #3176 on: June 24, 2019, 03:47:18 pm »
Anniston can act when the right role comes along, but she's not picky. In The Good Girl she's actually really good, and suprised me in Friends With Money.

She doesn't seem to take herself very seriously and takes jobs even if the role is not great. I suspect she just likes working.

One thing she takes very seriously is her looks. She's basically ageless. The dedication to diet and fitness along with staying out of the sun, etc, is incredible.

Her looks are important. In Murder Mystery, she even makes fun of her chin, which I thought was pretty funny.

Offline heatwave

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +0/-3
    • View Profile
  • Cars: bmw
« Reply #3177 on: June 28, 2019, 04:06:24 am »
The Big Lebowski - I’d never seen this before. Dumb character gets caught up in absurd caper and bumbles his way through with his absurd bumbling friends. Absolute nonsense, very funny and something about it made me think there was something ‘very clever’ going on that was just beyond my grasp. Or maybe it was all just a nonsense. More than anything, it DID make me feel good. Just the way this man was seemingly content with his simple existence. Just living and not worrying. How interesting...

Good film :)

Offline KD

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +359/-263
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 Frontier Pro-4X, 2013 Lexus GS-350
« Reply #3178 on: June 28, 2019, 07:14:49 am »
The Big Lebowski - I’d never seen this before. Dumb character gets caught up in absurd caper and bumbles his way through with his absurd bumbling friends. Absolute nonsense, very funny and something about it made me think there was something ‘very clever’ going on that was just beyond my grasp. Or maybe it was all just a nonsense. More than anything, it DID make me feel good. Just the way this man was seemingly content with his simple existence. Just living and not worrying. How interesting...

Good film :)

A true modern classic!  :thumbup:

Offline johngenx

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +758/-938
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2009 Toyota Corolla, 2004 Toyota Highlander V-6 4WD, 2001 Subaru Forester, 1994 Mazda Miata
« Reply #3179 on: July 01, 2019, 01:16:42 pm »
That’s actually a really underrated movie.