Author Topic: Dealership stalking?  (Read 3017 times)

Offline wing

• Big Wig
  • Administrator
  • Carma: +279/-320
  • If you ain't first ... you're last!
    • View Profile
    • Drivesideways
  • Cars: 2009 Lexus ISF, 2009 Lexus LX570,2011 Audi A5 Touring Car
Dealership stalking?
« on: February 13, 2013, 08:21:54 pm »
I got the attached letter today. (sorry its sideways...)

I owned a 2006 Mazda3 the lease ended in 2008 and I returned it at lease end with 10,000km.

I've never ever been to hawksbury Mazda ever. I've moved since I owned my Mazda and never updated info with them.

WTF? This is seriously disturbing... They stalking all Mazda owners?

I only ever took the car for 1 oil change at carling Mazda... I bought the car at Orleans Mazda and returned it there as well.

This is TOO weird.  I'm going to call them tomorrow if I have time.

Offline wing

• Big Wig
  • Administrator
  • Carma: +279/-320
  • If you ain't first ... you're last!
    • View Profile
    • Drivesideways
  • Cars: 2009 Lexus ISF, 2009 Lexus LX570,2011 Audi A5 Touring Car
Re: Dealership stalking?
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2013, 08:22:35 pm »
Oh and by my calculation I'd be more like 40,000km right now ;)

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1255/-7215
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2013, 08:23:37 pm »
I get these things from time to time.  I got one recently from Lexus telling me they'd be interested in me trading in my 2006 IS350...(that I sold last year)   :rofl2:
How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

Offline Gardiner Westbound

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +22/-32
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2013, 09:40:28 pm »
I have been receiving similar e-mails at six month intervals from a Toronto Mazda dealer for several years. A few weeks later Mazda Canada will e-mail me a follow-up quality survey. I have never been near the dealership, never owned a Mazda, never even looked at one.

The dealer and Mazda Canada have promised to remove me from their mailing lists several times. Still the e-mails keep coming.

One time I replied to the quality survey saying the service was terrible, they had greased the seat and steering wheel, demanding somebody call me to discuss it. No response.
"When you invent a better mousetrap the mice tend to get smarter." - Willie Gingrich

Offline tenpenny

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +137/-305
    • View Profile
Dealership stalking?
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2013, 10:07:14 pm »
Data mining at its finest. 

Sent from my Vic20 using JavaMoose
My diesel car self-identifies as an electric vehicle.

Offline Julie

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +359/-366
    • View Profile
  • Cars: nb miata, nc mx-5, e92 m3, mk6 gti
« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2013, 10:55:19 pm »
We still get these for our previous Camry and Acura...

Offline initial_D

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +30/-50
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2013, 02:04:26 am »
Data mining at its finest. 

Think the dealership hires marketing companies to do this. I even got phone calls from Mazda dealers remind me of oil change, even thought my address is 200KM away.

Offline dkaz

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +290/-389
  • Flip flop
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 12 Mazda 5 GT 6MT
« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2013, 08:19:54 am »
Did the Mazda dealership change hands?

Offline 5 Wheel Drive

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +88/-20
    • View Profile
  • Cars: My Mazda fleet: 2014 CX9 GS, 2013 Mazda 3 GX, 1997 Miata
« Reply #8 on: February 14, 2013, 09:13:58 am »
When I had my Miata, I had a VW Fox for a winter beater that went into a dealer once for a repair.  Every now and then I still get something in the mail from them wanting to service my car.  Do they honestly think an '88 VW Fox is even still on the road???
"This is no Playstation, this.  There is no reset button if you get it wrong.  You just go through the pearly gates...on fire!"   -Jeremy Clarkson

Offline tooscoops

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +325/-227
  • "stealership" employee
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '75 AMC Pacer, '70 Morgan 4/4, '21 Pacifica Hybrid, '21 Wrangler Rubicon
« Reply #9 on: February 14, 2013, 02:27:34 pm »
i get things from a chrysler shop out near where i used to work (at a chrysler dealer)... i'm guessing they somehow got a hold of our old customer base from chrysler and of course i was on it...

i don't mind it.. lets me see what kind of deals they are doing... plus, i even forwarded one of their "promotions" on to OMVIC as it was precisely the kind of ads that omvic is trying to get rid of. whatever. phone calls would :censor: me off, but mail?.. whatever. go for it and waste your money.
i used to be addicted to soap, but i'm clean now

Northernridge

« Reply #10 on: February 14, 2013, 04:46:47 pm »
You're giving them too much credit, they are probably incapable capable of stalking.

In my experience some boss says something like it's time to get back on direct marketing. Then some junior either doesn't recognize that the database hasn't been kept up or they are too afraid to tell anyone so they send out the promotion anyhow. After a few months results are poor (for obvious reasons) so the same boss says to kill the direct marketing because it's ineffective.

Seen a version of this story many times.

Offline dr_spock

• Spock
  • Carma: +46/-56
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 15, 2013, 12:15:19 am »
Once you are on a mailing list, you have immortality.   You'll continue to get promos long after you have passed away. 

Offline random006

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +123/-83
    • View Profile
  • Cars: His - 2018 Subaru Crosstrek .... Hers - 2008 Honda Civic DX
« Reply #12 on: February 15, 2013, 01:23:47 pm »
My girlfriend gets those reminders from Honda as well.   The interesting thing is that her Civic, like all recent Civics, tells her when it's time to get servicing.

Sure enough, whenever she has phoned the service desk at the dealer, they tell her to ignore the letter and wait for the telltale signal to light up on the dash.

Left hand - right hand issue if there ever was one.  ::)
I have come here to chew bubblegum and kick ass...and I'm all out of bubblegum.    -    John Nada (played by Roddy Piper) in "They Live"

Offline Cord

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +104/-115
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 15, 2013, 01:35:37 pm »
Ever since they rebranded a few years ago, I get regular letters from the dealership where I serviced my 96 Contour. The last one said cars like mine were in great demand in their used car department.  ;D
"If we can just believe something then we don't have to really think for ourselves, do we?" Paul Haggis

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1424/-2123
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2020 Toyota Tundra, 2021 Lexus GX460, 2018 Kawasaki Versys X300
« Reply #14 on: February 15, 2013, 01:36:33 pm »
Ever since they rebranded a few years ago, I get regular letters from the dealership where I serviced my 96 Contour. The last one said cars like mine were in great demand in their used car department.  ;D

You dont think theres a legitimate consumer demand for the Contour??  ;D
Lighten up Francis.....

Offline Qship

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +0/-1
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 16 Rogue SV, 07 Accent GLS(Wifey's commuter), 03 Sentra GXE 5 speed(my commuter), 14 Triumph Thunderbird LT
« Reply #15 on: February 15, 2013, 10:39:01 pm »
Tried to get the oil changed on my still under warranty Nissan Frontier while on the road at a Nissan dealer on my route. They wanted my vin #, my particulars, the whole shebang. After a brief discussion that they did not need all that personal information to do an oil change, I was on my way to a local shop that did it cheaper and with NO hassle. Too much info leads to everyone knowing everything about you and the ensuing deluge of junk mail. Protect your privacy.