Author Topic: Winter Driving  (Read 7453 times)

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1424/-2123
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2020 Toyota Tundra, 2021 Lexus GX460, 2018 Kawasaki Versys X300
Re: Winter Driving
« Reply #40 on: February 11, 2013, 12:22:14 pm »
Audi worked fine yesterday for our winter autocross (only FGC there),  worked last night getting me to work and then this morning when  I started it the alternator light (and a few others I chose to ignore) came on, it wasn't charging.  I thought it may have frozen up and tossed the belt again but everything looked ok under the hood.
So, I quickly had to decide whether to try to make it the 30 or so km home or just leave it there, I opted to take the chance and drive it with a friend following a ways behind to pick me up should it die on the way.  Had to do a shortened stint on the 401 to avoid downtown delays, got about 10km with the voltage gauge dropping to about 9vdc and me figuring I'm done for, then some of the warning lights shut off on the dash and I figure it's about to lose the fuel-pump relay and die, but no, the alternator has healed and I have voltage again  :)

Figure the additional snowbank bashing yesterday got more moisture in the alternator and the brushes hung up and froze, but I'm guessing.

Just part of daily driving a 23 year old FGC.

Ive never heard of an alternator freezing up....thats weird. Spray some contact cleaner in the brush hole to release it.
Lighten up Francis.....

Offline mrthompson

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +70/-42
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2008 Honda CR-V (The Green Machine)
Re: Winter Driving
« Reply #41 on: February 11, 2013, 12:22:51 pm »
Spray some contact cleaner in the brush hole to release it.

That's what she said.

Offline random006

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +123/-83
    • View Profile
  • Cars: His - 2018 Subaru Crosstrek .... Hers - 2008 Honda Civic DX
Re: Winter Driving Ban
« Reply #42 on: February 15, 2013, 01:19:21 pm »
I see that the Governor of Massachusetts banned all vehicles from the roads in the state yesterday as of 4:00 pm (a few hours before the worst of the blizzard hit last night)  Penalties for violating the order were possible arrest, a minimum fine of $500 and possible jail time. What do you think?  it at least allowed emergency crews to get around and probably prevented hundreds if not thousands of collisions.
That's a bit extreme. What about public transport, people who use personal vehicles to provide vital services, such as nurses?
Driving in the past couple of days got me thinking that Ontario should make it a law that a car will have EITHER winter tires or 4WD. I was shocked how many people with FWD cars were on the road on all-seasons, without a LSD or any electronics for traction...

Emergency vehicles (fire, police, ambulance) plus municipal cleanup crews plus media crew were allowed.  As well, they had some way of identifying employees of hospitals and the like.

Only private vehicles operated by ordinary citizens not involved in the emergency somehow were banned.  We made it back to the place we were staying by 4:15 PM.  The roads were deserted.

On the plus side, the streets were CLEAN by the time the travel ban was lifted the next day.  Impressive.

I have come here to chew bubblegum and kick ass...and I'm all out of bubblegum.    -    John Nada (played by Roddy Piper) in "They Live"