Author Topic: What Motorcycle Have You Been Obsessing About Today?  (Read 534952 times)

Offline rrocket

• Carma: +1254/-7210
    • View Profile
Re: What Motorcycle Have You Been Obsessing About Today?
« Reply #2920 on: November 07, 2023, 01:18:29 am »

Isn't the whole point of adventure riding to ride 100s of kms from civilization? At least that is the romance the manufacturers promote and that is my point. Away in nothingness but yourself and your bike simplicity is king. The whole wrong way around set crazy expectations. These guys had a support crew and truck tagging along.  :rofl2:

I much preferred Ted Simon's approach the first time. A rebuild of the engine wasn't a big deal on that old Triumph.

False advertising!  ;D

Adventure is different for everyone, no?

My adventure when I was 19 (solo Six Days of Michigan on KDX200) is much different than what my 50 year old adventure might be!!

Much in the spirit of your DR650 build, I think a S2000 would be an unstoppable, simple, adventurer. Only sourcing tires in the middle of nowhere might be problematic IMO.

Yeah fair enough I guess adventure for some is trying not to be run over on an interstate while pounding out miles or getting run over by a distracted mom in the the middle of the city.

Ya, man. I used to strap a minimalist tent and BARE minimum onto my dirt bike and GO!  There is absolutely no way I'm doing that these days! Those days are long gone for me.

I REALLY like gravel/dirt road work. I took every single one of my sportbikes on those roads. Even cut through a corn field once!! 

But more recently, I'd take my supermoto down those and have a blast. Ditto with my dual sports. And you'd look for the ruttiest, most pot holed roads since they'd be vacant of traffic.

And some of these gravel roads are just absolutely beautiful (and fun! ) rides. I think I showed you pictures of me doing those roads in my 911. It's better on a bike! (Duh)

And I just noticed it said "S2000" instead of TW200! That's a build I think would be fun! That bike makes me smile. Would be an unstoppable little Billy goat. And since it's unsuitable for highway/interstate use, you'll always be on the less traveled roads.
« Last Edit: November 07, 2023, 01:26:23 am by rrocket »
How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

Offline Jaeger

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +707/-12388
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2015 Hyundai Genesis 3.8 AWD, 2016 Honda Fit EX-L Navi, 2019 Genesis G80 3.3t Sport, 2021 Honda CB650R, 2023 Honda Monkey
« Reply #2921 on: November 07, 2023, 08:36:22 am »
Isn't the whole point of adventure riding to ride 100s of kms from civilization? At least that is the romance the manufacturers promote and that is my point. Away in nothingness but yourself and your bike simplicity is king. The whole wrong way around set crazy expectations. These guys had a support crew and truck tagging along.  :rofl2:

Advertising is all about selling the fantasy.  Also, the Pope is Catholic.  ;D  You'd have to be newer than me to motorcycling to not realize that the MARKET for adventure bikes is primarily well-heeled dentists looking for an excuse to rock out $5k worth of Klim gear on their adventure to a local cafe to sit with a group of a half dozen other similarly-clad dentists and admire ther pristine bikes.  And there's nothing wrong with that - if that's how you enjoy your ride, rock on.  But let's all just acknowledge that advertising has zip to do with reality.

This would be my word wide touring bike..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3gIvyHUyibU

Touring for me is riding down to Pennsylvania for 4 or 5 days.  :rofl2:  World touring is not in the cards.

You have no plans to recreate "Long Way Round" with Ewan McGregor and Charley Boorman?   :rofl:

That's a solid nope!  :rofl2:

Anytime I say "Road of Bones", I say it in Ewan's Scottish brogue. It doesn't come up too often in normal conversation, though.

Normal conversation is overrated.  ;D
Wokeism is nothing more than the recognition and opposition of bigotry in all its forms.  Bigots are predictably triggered.

Offline ktm525

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +117/-442
  • Just walk away!
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Land Rover LR4, Honda Ridgeline, Husqvarna FE501
« Reply #2922 on: November 07, 2023, 10:08:00 am »

Advertising is all about selling the fantasy.  Also, the Pope is Catholic.  ;D  You'd have to be newer than me to motorcycling to not realize that the MARKET for adventure bikes is primarily well-heeled dentists looking for an excuse to rock out $5k worth of Klim gear on their adventure to a local cafe to sit with a group of a half dozen other similarly-clad dentists and admire ther pristine bikes.  And there's nothing wrong with that - if that's how you enjoy your ride, rock on.  But let's all just acknowledge that advertising has zip to do with reality.

This would be my word wide touring bike..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3gIvyHUyibU

Touring for me is riding down to Pennsylvania for 4 or 5 days.  :rofl2:  World touring is not in the cards.

You have no plans to recreate "Long Way Round" with Ewan McGregor and Charley Boorman?   :rofl:

That's a solid nope!  :rofl2:

Anytime I say "Road of Bones", I say it in Ewan's Scottish brogue. It doesn't come up too often in normal conversation, though.

Normal conversation is overrated.  ;D

Advertising is too effective, it has driven bike prices high. The upside is buying said dentist's bike in 3 years with 12 hours on it  for pennies on the dollar after he has moved on to the next cool thing.

Offline WP v3.32

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +8/-18
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Ram 1500 Classic, 2014 Highlander Hybrid
« Reply #2923 on: November 07, 2023, 11:20:18 am »

I much preferred Ted Simon's approach the first time. A rebuild of the engine wasn't a big deal on that old Triumph.

False advertising!  ;D

The trunk road I took in Panorama BC this summer looked like this and it was only 20 minutes from the main road.  Another 20 minutes  and I would probably be at the top so you can get to place that looks like this without going all out.  It's not really false advertising, it's more selling a dream or showing the capacity of the bike.   

You seam always have to turn it up to a 10 out of 10 or it's not adventure.  Not everyone wants quit their job, leave their family behind and drive to the south pole to have an adventure, a day trip to Drumheller is fine.  :P :rofl2:

Offline ktm525

• Car Crazy
  • Just walk away!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2924 on: November 07, 2023, 10:15:58 pm »

False advertising!  ;D

The trunk road I took in Panorama BC this summer looked like this and it was only 20 minutes from the main road.  Another 20 minutes  and I would probably be at the top so you can get to place that looks like this without going all out.  It's not really false advertising, it's more selling a dream or showing the capacity of the bike.   

You seam always have to turn it up to a 10 out of 10 or it's not adventure.  Not everyone wants quit their job, leave their family behind and drive to the south pole to have an adventure, a day trip to Drumheller is fine.  :P :rofl2:

Quite the opposite. Many people get themselves in bad situations because they think/were told/were shown pictures that  it had the capacity to.   While back roading in BC we come across adventure owners in bad situations. If the bike can be picked up by the owner it is a great place to start.

BTW the "trunk" road you were on is the Toby Creek Main. Follow it up and turn at Jumbo and you are presented with a small stream crossing the road. Cross in the morning and it's no big deal. Come back after a few hours and it is wide, deep and fast since it is sourced by glacial melt. Get on the wrong side of things and adventure adds up very quick!

Offline rrocket

• View Profile
« Reply #2925 on: November 07, 2023, 10:57:38 pm »

False advertising!  ;D

You seam always have to turn it up to a 10 out of 10 or it's not adventure.  Not everyone wants quit their job, leave their family behind and drive to the south pole to have an adventure, a day trip to Drumheller is fine.  [emoji14] :rofl2:

Quite the opposite. Many people get themselves in bad situations because they think/were told/were shown pictures that  it had the capacity to.   While back roading in BC we come across adventure owners in bad situations. If the bike can be picked up by the owner it is a great place to start.

BTW the "trunk" road you were on is the Toby Creek Main. Follow it up and turn at Jumbo and you are presented with a small stream crossing the road. Cross in the morning and it's no big deal. Come back after a few hours and it is wide, deep and fast since it is sourced by glacial melt. Get on the wrong side of things and adventure adds up very quick!
Again, I think it depends on perspective.

My bro took his large-ish Adv bike to the Yukon and beyond. It's a fact that no other type of comfortable touring rig is doing the same trip with the same comfort and confidence. I saw some of the "roads" he had to use and no regular touring bike, let alone a car could do this trip via the route they took. And that's really something to a great many people. It doesn't have to be Baja level to be a worthwhile adventure or challenge.

And these bikes excel at that. They open up some trips for those with wanderlust. And all things considered, not a ton of dough either.

Heavy? Sure, some of them. Most guys doing a serious enough trip in serious enough conditions bring an off road moto hoist with them. 10lbs and can right an 800lb bike...even with you underneath it (provided the hoist is within reach of course).

These bikes can't do everything for everyone (like you). But for many, this type of adventure touring is their crack...

Personally, I really like the Transalp and would happily take it on sections of the Trans Canada. Sections within my and the bikes capability. Or up to the Yukon. Or logging roads in Northern Ontario.

Just...getting lost and riding.

Offline ktm525

• Car Crazy
  • Just walk away!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2926 on: November 07, 2023, 11:08:11 pm »
As long as you can put it back on two wheels then it's all good.

Offline rrocket

• View Profile
« Reply #2927 on: November 07, 2023, 11:13:09 pm »
As long as you can put it back on two wheels then it's all good.
Have you seen the hoists I refer to?

Offline ktm525

• Car Crazy
  • Just walk away!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2928 on: November 07, 2023, 11:28:51 pm »
Are they similar to this? Some idaho/bc riders carry these. I have carried a double pulley and some 7mm rope. Put it off the trail there and it is a long day, even with a dirt bike.

Offline ktm525

• Car Crazy
  • Just walk away!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2929 on: November 07, 2023, 11:36:37 pm »
Check this video out. First 5 minutes  :o Those Idaho boys are nuts

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fAIWUn4HlIQ

Offline rrocket

• View Profile
« Reply #2930 on: November 08, 2023, 12:22:12 am »
Are they similar to this? Some idaho/bc riders carry these. I have carried a double pulley and some 7mm rope. Put it off the trail there and it is a long day, even with a dirt bike.

This style

https://www.advmotorrad.com/dustriders-motorcycle-hoist
« Last Edit: November 08, 2023, 12:26:47 am by rrocket »

Offline rrocket

• View Profile
« Reply #2931 on: November 08, 2023, 12:28:40 am »

Check this video out. First 5 minutes  :o Those Idaho boys are nuts

There's just no way...

Offline ktm525

• Car Crazy
  • Just walk away!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2932 on: November 08, 2023, 01:12:40 am »
Yeah the risk/reward seems large.

This video makes the DR650 almost seem sexy. Very well done

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AEWQPJnE9pU

Offline rrocket

• View Profile
« Reply #2933 on: November 08, 2023, 01:32:48 am »
DRRiders has some crazy builds.

Offline ktm525

• Car Crazy
  • Just walk away!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2934 on: November 08, 2023, 10:26:17 am »

Yeah I may start a DR650 build in the new year.

Offline rrocket

• View Profile
« Reply #2935 on: November 08, 2023, 07:55:20 pm »

Yeah I may start a DR650 build in the new year.
AdvRiders has builds too.

I've seen some crazy S2000 builds.

Reminds me of the motorcycle equivalent of a pack mule. Slow..But goes places most bikes can't.

Offline Jaeger

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2015 Hyundai Genesis 3.8 AWD, 2016 Honda Fit EX-L Navi, 2019 Genesis G80 3.3t Sport, 2021 Honda CB650R, 2023 Honda Monkey
« Reply #2936 on: December 22, 2023, 01:47:43 pm »
Obsessing kindahard over this one of late.  Ducati Supersport 950s.

Offline ktm525

• Car Crazy
  • Just walk away!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2937 on: December 22, 2023, 05:57:56 pm »
Track bike? Otherwise that looks like a suspended licence in no time. ;D

Offline Jaeger

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #2938 on: December 22, 2023, 09:00:53 pm »
Track bike? Otherwise that looks like a suspended licence in no time. ;D

It's not as aggro as it looks. Leaning more sport-touring than sport - more relaxed rising position than, say, a Panigale. Even comes with an option for saddle bags.  ;D

Offline ktm525

• Car Crazy
  • Just walk away!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2939 on: December 23, 2023, 11:00:21 am »
I guess. I don't think I would tour anywhere on that.  ;D