Author Topic: What Motorcycle Have You Been Obsessing About Today?  (Read 535262 times)

Offline ktm525

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +117/-442
  • Just walk away!
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Land Rover LR4, Honda Ridgeline, Husqvarna FE501
Re: What Motorcycle Have You Been Obsessing About Today?
« Reply #2780 on: March 12, 2023, 07:25:12 pm »
looked at a Ducati desert X. Lined up a test ride in about a month once the snow clears.

Isn't that thing heavier than the Transalp?  ???

You bet it is. Don't worry just going riding.  ;)

It looks like it is 33 lbs heavier but it does have 110 HP so 19 HP more  to lug that extra 33lbs... Plus it is a 90 degree layout vs the parallel twin.. Sounds oh so nice.  ;D

Nice 4 piston brakes up front and 2 piston in the rear. 9" of suspension travel. 2 fuel tanks for almost 30L.

But... but... but... the Honda is too heavy to take off road! So you're sticking to the street with the pricey desert machine?  :stick:

Transalp has a 270 degree crank and sounds pretty good.

I think we are getting crossed up on the term "off road". These big bikes make fine gravel explorers but I don't consider that "offroad". For street legal single track machines  the only decent choice is a properly prepped KTM 500/Husky 501 on full knobbies. Maybe a CRF450 but again it has a weight problem.  ;) Come on Honda, do better.

In my opinion the Honda Trans Alp's biggest problem(s)  are:

1)it's low slung exhaust headers. Honda makes a skid plate but it eats up the limited clearance. 
2) The "low" seat making the transition from sitting to standing a pita for taller riders.
3) the smaller diameter suspension components although any of these bikes would need a re-spring and revalve to make them as good as they can be.

As a smaller bike for those who find an Africa Twin intimidating it will be ok but I think there are better choices for rough stuff. In this class the best rough stuff ready candidates are the  1) Tenere 700 rally (raises the seat a couple inches) and fancy parts may reduce weight. Hopefully Yamaha decides to offer it in North America, otherwise I think it is possible to build up a normal Tenere.   2) Aprilla Tuareg 660 is interesting but not sure about reliability and lack of dealer support.  The light weight is intriguing.

As for the Ducati. Well I'll give it a ride on the road and the track and we will see if it hides it's pounds as well as Ryan F9 says it does. If he puts it on par with the Tenere T7 then that is high praise and he is skinny and weak lol/.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lcFqVIadWYo

Offline rrocket

• Carma: +1254/-7210
    • View Profile
« Reply #2781 on: March 12, 2023, 07:53:30 pm »
. In this class the best rough stuff ready candidates are the  1) Tenere 700

You sure?

The 790/890R has been put up against all comers off road..and wins most of the time. The added HP and cruise control is especially appreciated on road. My bros boss is a competitive racer off road and he chose the KTM for his Adv after testing all others. Said it's the most competent in truly rough stuff, as the suspension is miles better. He just took it to Baja.

All that being said...if price is a consideration, I think the T7 is the way to go.
How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

Offline ktm525

• Car Crazy
  • Just walk away!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2782 on: March 12, 2023, 07:56:18 pm »
I don't like e gizmos. Actually my decision is between the KTM 690 and the Tenere T7. Probably the 690.

So a garage for me would be KTM 690 (maybe a FE701), FE501 and the 2024 KTM 300 XC-W TBI. That rounds it out.

Offline Jaeger

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +707/-12388
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2015 Hyundai Genesis 3.8 AWD, 2016 Honda Fit EX-L Navi, 2019 Genesis G80 3.3t Sport, 2021 Honda CB650R, 2023 Honda Monkey
« Reply #2783 on: March 12, 2023, 08:29:04 pm »
looked at a Ducati desert X. Lined up a test ride in about a month once the snow clears.

Isn't that thing heavier than the Transalp?  ???

You bet it is. Don't worry just going riding.  ;)

It looks like it is 33 lbs heavier but it does have 110 HP so 19 HP more  to lug that extra 33lbs... Plus it is a 90 degree layout vs the parallel twin.. Sounds oh so nice.  ;D

Nice 4 piston brakes up front and 2 piston in the rear. 9" of suspension travel. 2 fuel tanks for almost 30L.

But... but... but... the Honda is too heavy to take off road! So you're sticking to the street with the pricey desert machine?  :stick:

Transalp has a 270 degree crank and sounds pretty good.

I think we are getting crossed up on the term "off road". These big bikes make fine gravel explorers but I don't consider that "offroad". For street legal single track machines  the only decent choice is a properly prepped KTM 500/Husky 501 on full knobbies. Maybe a CRF450 but again it has a weight problem.  ;) Come on Honda, do better.

In my opinion the Honda Trans Alp's biggest problem(s)  are:

1)it's low slung exhaust headers. Honda makes a skid plate but it eats up the limited clearance. 
2) The "low" seat making the transition from sitting to standing a pita for taller riders.
3) the smaller diameter suspension components although any of these bikes would need a re-spring and revalve to make them as good as they can be.

As a smaller bike for those who find an Africa Twin intimidating it will be ok but I think there are better choices for rough stuff. In this class the best rough stuff ready candidates are the  1) Tenere 700 rally (raises the seat a couple inches) and fancy parts may reduce weight. Hopefully Yamaha decides to offer it in North America, otherwise I think it is possible to build up a normal Tenere.   2) Aprilla Tuareg 660 is interesting but not sure about reliability and lack of dealer support.  The light weight is intriguing.

As for the Ducati. Well I'll give it a ride on the road and the track and we will see if it hides it's pounds as well as Ryan F9 says it does. If he puts it on par with the Tenere T7 then that is high praise and he is skinny and weak lol/.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lcFqVIadWYo

We're not crossed. You dismissed the Transalp as too heavy, yet have no such reservations about the heavier Ducati. Just seems odd. But hey, I don't ride off road - and don't have a particular interest in either bike. I'm just trying to make it make sense.

If you are actually riding it off road and have to pick it up then yeah., weight counts.   ;D
Wokeism is nothing more than the recognition and opposition of bigotry in all its forms.  Bigots are predictably triggered.

Offline rrocket

• View Profile
« Reply #2784 on: March 12, 2023, 09:17:17 pm »
I don't like e gizmos. Actually my decision is between the KTM 690 and the Tenere T7. Probably the 690.

So a garage for me would be KTM 690 (maybe a FE701), FE501 and the 2024 KTM 300 XC-W TBI. That rounds it out.
The 690 would rule off road. T7 better on road.

I'd opt for an Adventure fairing kit for on road use if I was traveling distance on the KTM.  https://www.radegarage.com/parts-us/ktm-690-fairing-kit-us/

FWIW, they also make the adventure kits for the KTM 500...would be a hardcore but still useable package on road IMO.  https://www.radegarage.com/parts-us/ktm-exc-rally-us/

Offline ktm525

• Car Crazy
  • Just walk away!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2785 on: March 13, 2023, 01:22:34 am »

I'd opt for an Adventure fairing kit for on road use if I was traveling distance on the KTM.  https://www.radegarage.com/parts-us/ktm-690-fairing-kit-us/

FWIW, they also make the adventure kits for the KTM 500...would be a hardcore but still useable package on road IMO.  https://www.radegarage.com/parts-us/ktm-exc-rally-us/

I already have an "adventure" setup for the 501. Baja designs lights, brp rubber submount with steering stabilizer and a small windscreen. This will be my primary adventure bike for this season. Two things hold the 501 back; vibrations while on pavement and the short service interval. I will stretch to 30 hours (3-4 days) but oil needs a changing after that.

Have considered building a DR650 to handle a few longer easy tours (the US BDR routes etc) but keep getting pulled back towards the T7 and/or 701/690

Offline rrocket

• View Profile
« Reply #2786 on: March 13, 2023, 02:21:57 am »

I already have an "adventure" setup for the 501. Baja designs lights, brp rubber submount with steering stabilizer and a small windscreen. This will be my primary adventure bike for this season. Two things hold the 501 back; vibrations while on pavement and the short service interval. I will stretch to 30 hours (3-4 days) but oil needs a changing after that.

Have considered building a DR650 to handle a few longer easy tours (the US BDR routes etc) but keep getting pulled back towards the T7 and/or 701/690
Gas Gas 700 too?

Offline JohnnyMac

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +111/-460
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Honda CR-V Sport, 2022 Honda Civic Si, 2020 Toyota Rav4 Hybrid XLE (traded in), 2020 VW Jetta GLI (Traded in), 2010 Hyundai Santa Fe Limited (sold), 2016 VW Golf R (Sold)
« Reply #2787 on: March 13, 2023, 08:32:05 am »
This just popped up on the Driving.ca website.  Would this be something you'd be into KTM?

https://driving.ca/auto-news/news/2023-husqvarna-norden-901-expedition-offers-adventurer-upgrades

I'm sure this is quite a bit more money than the 690 or T7, but does seems like a pretty neat bike.

« Last Edit: March 13, 2023, 08:34:15 am by JohnnyMac »

Offline WP v3.32

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +8/-18
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Ram 1500 Classic, 2014 Highlander Hybrid
« Reply #2788 on: March 13, 2023, 10:43:08 am »

not really same category IMO.  the Ktm 690 is a single cylinder thumper, more of dirtbike upgraded to enduro/dual sport.  Tenere 700  and similar bikes are more substantial and bigger frame heavier for road manners IMO.   The Ducati Desert  might have a big tank but can it burn a full tank without needing unscheduled repairs  :P

purely on Specs this would be my choice order.
-Honda Trans Alp
-Tenere 700
-Suzuki Not so V-Strom 800De
-Aprilia Tuareg 660  (assuming it's less reliable than any above)

Offline ktm525

• Car Crazy
  • Just walk away!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2789 on: March 13, 2023, 11:01:29 am »
That is a good list. I agree the 690 is the oddball as a single and the old pre 2017 was a paint shaker but this new balanced version is really smooth. Not quite 2 cylinder smooth but very close. Will need some seat time to determine and these things are as rare as hen's teeth.

The Norden just has so much stuff on it and it feels huge. A technological tour de force but not sure that is good in the middle of nowhere. Do I need 9 levels of adjustable rear wheel spin. On the Tenere that is called a throttle.  ;D The Norden is about discussing it's features down at the coffee shop.

Taking it to the extreme the other way building Suzuki DR650s into suitable bikes has become popular. They are cheap so you can afford to throw lots of improvements at it. I may go this way although at this point a 690 may make as much sense.

On a positive note the local bike shops were FULL. Lots of product out there and it didn't seem to be moving.

Offline WP v3.32

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +8/-18
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Ram 1500 Classic, 2014 Highlander Hybrid
« Reply #2790 on: March 13, 2023, 11:44:44 am »
That is a good list. I agree the 690 is the oddball as a single and the old pre 2017 was a paint shaker but this new balanced version is really smooth. Not quite 2 cylinder smooth but very close. Will need some seat time to determine and these things are as rare as hen's teeth.

The Norden just has so much stuff on it and it feels huge. A technological tour de force but not sure that is good in the middle of nowhere. Do I need 9 levels of adjustable rear wheel spin. On the Tenere that is called a throttle.  ;D The Norden is about discussing it's features down at the coffee shop.

Taking it to the extreme the other way building Suzuki DR650s into suitable bikes has become popular. They are cheap so you can afford to throw lots of improvements at it. I may go this way although at this point a 690 may make as much sense.

On a positive note the local bike shops were FULL. Lots of product out there and it didn't seem to be moving.

Which shop did you go too?

I like the fact that the Tenere has a simple  ABS on/off button on the console.  press it and go, no screen menus.

Yeah the Dr 650, and older Honda  XL 650 had sweet category spots for being on the road.   I didn't like being more than 80km/h when I has the DRz400.   If i buy a bike it would more for road with descent wind fairings and  adequate for the occasional dirt drifts and wheelies.  I still have to make it back home for my daughters ballet classes.. :P 

I

Offline ktm525

• Car Crazy
  • Just walk away!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2791 on: March 13, 2023, 12:13:59 pm »
There is not many bike shops left. Blackfoot motorsports which has every line except for Harley and Aprilia. Their "sister" shop has the gas gas and husky.  It's like going to the motorcycle show...

Let's see what they carry:

BMW
Ducati
Triumph
KTM
Honda
Kawasaki
Yamaha
Suzuki

Offline PJungnitsch

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +170/-337
    • View Profile
    • Travel in Africa
  • Cars: Subaru Crosstrek, Lexus RX350, Evolve Carbon, Biktrix Juggernaut, Yamaha TW200
« Reply #2792 on: March 13, 2023, 12:23:56 pm »
Not sure if it's still the same, but Blackfoot used to be the worst for advertising a great price and then tacking on piles of extra fees

Offline rrocket

• View Profile
« Reply #2793 on: March 13, 2023, 12:27:14 pm »

purely on Specs this would be my choice order.
-Honda Trans Alp
-Tenere 700
-Suzuki Not so V-Strom 800De
-Aprilia Tuareg 660  (assuming it's less reliable than any above)

But it really depends what primary use is. If you're primarily on the highway and want to do some soft roading, those are all great.

But if you're looking for rougher or more challenging off road without plenty of on road miles in between, the 690 or 500 is the way to go. They'd be at least 100lbs lighter than the others...which is massive for off road.

Really, really depends on his use.

Offline ktm525

• Car Crazy
  • Just walk away!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2794 on: March 13, 2023, 12:28:59 pm »
My 500 is around 250lbs. A 690 feels huge (weight) in comparison.

Offline ktm525

• Car Crazy
  • Just walk away!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2795 on: March 13, 2023, 12:30:29 pm »
Not sure if it's still the same, but Blackfoot used to be the worst for advertising a great price and then tacking on piles of extra fees

Yes. Feel sorry for the commission salesmen in there. Had a Dodge DB vibe to it.   ;D  I don't venture in there very often.

Offline Arthur Dent

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +186/-80
  • 42?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2796 on: March 13, 2023, 12:32:36 pm »
Blackfoot does not have Royal Enfield I don't believe. I've only ever bought a pair of rain pants from them but they definitely had a high pressure sales vibe. CWC in Calgary does have RE (they seem to advertise bikes that have been long sold) but Edmonton dealers seem to be more competitive on pricing.

Old Motorcycle shop in Calgary is a neat place to visit.

https://oldmotorcycleshop.com/

CWC has a Justin Bieber special edition Vespa  :rofl2:

https://www.kijiji.ca/v-view-details.html?adId=m5858791

Not much in Lethbridge. Only dealt with Honda here. I dislike them.

Offline rrocket

• View Profile
« Reply #2797 on: March 13, 2023, 12:36:19 pm »
Yep.

Which is why those Adventure bikes would feel positively enormous on anything rough.

Offline ktm525

• Car Crazy
  • Just walk away!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2798 on: March 13, 2023, 12:50:38 pm »
Blackfoot does not have Royal Enfield I don't believe. I've only ever bought a pair of rain pants from them but they definitely had a high pressure sales vibe. CWC in Calgary does have RE (they seem to advertise bikes that have been long sold) but Edmonton dealers seem to be more competitive on pricing.

Old Motorcycle shop in Calgary is a neat place to visit.

https://oldmotorcycleshop.com/

CWC has a Justin Bieber special edition Vespa  :rofl2:

https://www.kijiji.ca/v-view-details.html?adId=m5858791

Not much in Lethbridge. Only dealt with Honda here. I dislike them.

Yeah that is correct no Royal Enfield.

Offline PJungnitsch

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +170/-337
    • View Profile
    • Travel in Africa
  • Cars: Subaru Crosstrek, Lexus RX350, Evolve Carbon, Biktrix Juggernaut, Yamaha TW200
« Reply #2799 on: March 13, 2023, 12:55:08 pm »
Yep.

Which is why those Adventure bikes would feel positively enormous on anything rough.

Weight is up high on a lot them too. My Vstrom would go over like a big tree, and it was designed to land on a bunch of fragile tank plastics, right after it exploded the turn signals. And the front exhaust pipe and the oil filter were right in front of the sump, just waiting to get hit. Aftermarket guards, signals, etc fix all that, but it takes a bit

The old XZ550 standard had a lower COG and was way more durable off the rack