Author Topic: What Motorcycle Have You Been Obsessing About Today?  (Read 535527 times)

Offline Triple Bob

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +308/-574
  • Profesional Dash Stroker
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Tundra, GTI, Triumph Tiger, KTM, C63 AMG, FZ-09, Triumph Speed Triple, VW Golf Wagon TDI, BMW 535i, Honda CRF250L, Hyundai Genesis Coupe, Mitsubishi Outlander, Lotus Exige, Subaru Impreza, Peugeot 106, BMW Z4, Toyota MR2 MKIII, Ford Sierra Sapphire
Re: What Motorcycle Have You Been Obsessing About Today?
« Reply #2600 on: October 15, 2021, 12:31:03 pm »
Yeah, those are pretty nice too.  Rare as hens teeth 'round here.  Yami's are known for their reliability too right?  Either is probably a nice (enough) choice.

I know these aren't powerful by any stretch of the imagination, but I kinda like the looks of them and IIRC they get close to 100 mpg (3l/100).  Gotta love when the dealer is asking about $1000 less than what a brand spanking new one costs for one that's 3 yrs old with 22+k on it.  ::)
Plus the new one has more HP sauce and (whoa!!) 600 more revolutions per minute!! 

Honda NC750 ($8700) vs. private sale ($6500 - both 2019) with next to no km on it.

What it looks like outside.

Would also be a good starter bike if the wife ever decided she wanted to learn to ride.  Plus 100 mpg...fack...have to take a pi$$ before the tank's empty.  ;D

I've got no personal experience with that bike, but a buddy of mine rides one and loves it.  Massive storage in that top bin disguised as a gas tank.  Kinda jealous of having some decent (any!) on-bike storage.

Everyone I've ever heard from who owned one said it was the most boring appliance you can ride, absolutely mind numbingly boring.

And yes, tank range is good, but if I'm riding for fun I don't really care about fuel efficiency. As long as it can go 200kms between stops I'm fine with that.

Choosing a car based on reliability is like choosing a wife based solely because she is punctual. There is more to it than that...

Offline BWII

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +188/-376
    • View Profile
« Reply #2601 on: October 15, 2021, 02:13:14 pm »
So not a thing you can ride hard and put away wet?  Slow car fast and all? 

Maybe this'd be better  ;D...than even that Yami. 

Definitely more useful.

Offline Triple Bob

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Tundra, GTI, Triumph Tiger, KTM, C63 AMG, FZ-09, Triumph Speed Triple, VW Golf Wagon TDI, BMW 535i, Honda CRF250L, Hyundai Genesis Coupe, Mitsubishi Outlander, Lotus Exige, Subaru Impreza, Peugeot 106, BMW Z4, Toyota MR2 MKIII, Ford Sierra Sapphire
« Reply #2602 on: October 15, 2021, 05:00:50 pm »

Definitely more useful.

Man, you have a thing for 'practical' looking bikes...  :rofl2:

Offline dkaz

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +289/-389
  • Flip flop
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 12 Mazda 5 GT 6MT
« Reply #2603 on: October 15, 2021, 05:31:18 pm »
Everyone I've ever heard from who owned one said it was the most boring appliance you can ride, absolutely mind numbingly boring.

And yes, tank range is good, but if I'm riding for fun I don't really care about fuel efficiency. As long as it can go 200kms between stops I'm fine with that.

The engine is described as "half a Fit engine". It revs and redlines like a car engine with a similar HP to displacement ratio. Fuel economy is slightly better than a CBR 300R, but the fuel tank is 2 litres smaller so a wash range wise.

Offline BWII

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #2604 on: October 15, 2021, 05:51:28 pm »

Definitely more useful.

I only want to emulate you ya know.  ;D

I'm just thinking if I ever did get something to ride again, it'd have to have as little pressure on the wrists as possible.  I took the quad out for a ride month or so ago...dang my arms were asleep from elbow to finger tip.  Buzzy little thing it is and also have to work harder than a bike, but damn...that wasn't fun anymore. 

Should probably stick to walking...or cars.   :( :-\

Offline JohnnyMac

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +111/-460
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Honda CR-V Sport, 2022 Honda Civic Si, 2020 Toyota Rav4 Hybrid XLE (traded in), 2020 VW Jetta GLI (Traded in), 2010 Hyundai Santa Fe Limited (sold), 2016 VW Golf R (Sold)
« Reply #2605 on: October 15, 2021, 06:09:22 pm »

Definitely more useful.

I only want to emulate you ya know.  ;D

I'm just thinking if I ever did get something to ride again, it'd have to have as little pressure on the wrists as possible.  I took the quad out for a ride month or so ago...dang my arms were asleep from elbow to finger tip.  Buzzy little thing it is and also have to work harder than a bike, but damn...that wasn't fun anymore. 

Should probably stick to walking...or cars.   :( :-\
Or you could do an electric bike.

Offline Triple Bob

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #2606 on: October 16, 2021, 05:06:26 pm »
That headlight assembly is err... interesting.

Offline BWII

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #2607 on: October 18, 2021, 01:51:49 pm »

Offline Triple Bob

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #2608 on: October 25, 2021, 08:40:30 pm »
Absolutely epic sports bike test:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hIAR5e3Z4_c

Man these guys are talented riders.

Online rrocket

• Carma: +1254/-7210
    • View Profile
« Reply #2609 on: October 25, 2021, 08:57:24 pm »

I really think open classers need to be tested on a track to fully extract what they are capable off because they're so monstrous...and the streets don't offer that (or the safety margin).  But I get and respect finding their best street attributes. Like the testers said, everyone makes a really good bike.  And IMO it's only at the track where the differences become magnified.  But still...you need the street ride part.

I didn't think they were particularly talented from that brief video...they just seemed "fast".  And in my mind, "talented" riders don't cross centerlines when hooning it on the street, which I saw a bazillion times in the video.  YMMV.

But I will agree...the scenery is breathtaking and epic!! What a dream place to ride!! 

Have you ridden/driven there by chance, Bob??  I had a chance in 1992/1993 or so..but it didn't happen.
« Last Edit: October 25, 2021, 09:26:29 pm by rrocket »
How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

Offline Triple Bob

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #2610 on: October 25, 2021, 09:47:07 pm »

I really think open classers need to be tested on a track to fully extract what they are capable off because they're so monstrous...and the streets don't offer that (or the safety margin).  But I get and respect finding their best street attributes. Like the testers said, everyone makes a really good bike.  And IMO it's only at the track where the differences become magnified.  But still...you need the street ride part.

I didn't think they were particularly talented from that brief video...they just seemed "fast".  And in my mind, "talented" riders don't cross centerlines when hooning it on the street, which I saw a bazillion times in the video.  YMMV.

But I will agree...the scenery is breathtaking and epic!! What a dream place to ride!! 

Have you ridden/driven there by chance, Bob??  I had a chance in 1992/1993 or so..but it didn't happen.

Well both of them have competed in the TT, so I'd say they are talented. And what you can't see from the camera angle is a lot of those roads have lots of distance you can see, no trees, hedges, traffic, just moors. So Boothy is riding the racing line, because there are no speed limits and he can see well into the distance, and he knows the roads very well. Bear in mind that is also in mph, I think he hit 180mph a couple of times.  :o

They normally do a track and street test, but I though this was more interesting TBH, YMMV.

I haven't been to the Isle of Man, only really got into bikes over here. Will go one day.

Online rrocket

• View Profile
« Reply #2611 on: October 25, 2021, 09:51:09 pm »

Well both of them have competed in the TT, so I'd say they are talented. And what you can't see from the camera angle is a lot of those roads have lots of distance you can see, no trees, hedges, traffic, just moors. So Boothy is riding the racing line, because there are no speed limits and he can see well into the distance, and he knows the roads very well. Bear in mind that is also in mph, I think he hit 180mph a couple of times.  :o

They normally do a track and street test, but I though this was more interesting TBH, YMMV.

I haven't been to the Isle of Man, only really got into bikes over here. Will go one day.

I knew it was in MPH...when he was tooling along at 70, it sure didn't look like 70km/h!!   :rofl: :rofl2:

Now I'm REALLY sad that I didn't get to race there in 1992/1993.....I would have been talented in your eyes!!   ;D  Oh well...maybe in another life!   :rofl: :rofl2:

I knew you picked up bikes here...I should have been more clear....did you ever go there PERIOD?  In a car..your car...whatever?

The place I buy my snuff from is on IoM...and their poststamp is great!

Offline Triple Bob

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #2612 on: October 25, 2021, 09:52:47 pm »

I knew it was in MPH...when he was tooling along at 70, it sure didn't look like 70km/h!!   :rofl: :rofl2:

Now I'm REALLY sad that I didn't get to race there in 1992/1993.....I would have been talented in your eyes!!   ;D  Oh well...maybe in another life!   :rofl: :rofl2:

I knew you picked up bikes here...I should have been more clear....did you ever go there PERIOD?  In a car..your car...whatever?

The place I buy my snuff from is on IoM.

Coming last doesn't count Ron.  :rofl2:

No. I had no reason to go to some random island so see some fields and a couple of pubs.

Online rrocket

• View Profile
« Reply #2613 on: October 25, 2021, 10:00:39 pm »

Coming last doesn't count Ron.  :rofl2:

No. I had no reason to go to some random island so see some fields and a couple of pubs.

I don't think I'd have come in last, honestly (maybe ego talking here!!).  At the time, I was racing a track only GP bike...TZ250B.  20 years old and fearless (and stupid!)  And I had demonstrated that I was as fast as the pros when I raced against them (for a lap anyways!  What made them superb was being able to cut that lap time over and over and over again. I couldn't do it like them, sadly).  And the bike I secured was an identical TZ250B to mine (there were tons of rental bikes believe it or not).

So all I would have had to do was be faster than the slowest foreigner to not finish last!  And I think I could have done that!!   :rofl: :rofl2:

I heard they had an 80cc division too....that probably would have been safer for me!   :rofl: :rofl2:
« Last Edit: October 25, 2021, 10:05:01 pm by rrocket »

Online rrocket

• View Profile
« Reply #2614 on: October 26, 2021, 10:45:05 am »
An Adventure Scooter/bike... lol

Honda ADV-X
https://www.asphaltandrubber.com/bikes/2021-honda-x-adv/
Was very popular. Were sold out their first year in some places in euroland and outsold the BMW GS..the king of Adventure bikes.

Offline ktm525

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +117/-442
  • Just walk away!
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Land Rover LR4, Honda Ridgeline, Husqvarna FE501
« Reply #2615 on: October 26, 2021, 10:48:21 am »
No surprise as it looks to be what most adventure bike riders really need. 520lbs! she ain't light.

Online rrocket

• View Profile
« Reply #2616 on: October 26, 2021, 11:07:08 am »
No surprise as it looks to be what most adventure bike riders really need. 520lbs! she ain't light.

Seams heavy for a scooter.  pretty cool though

Schaaf    put up a Video last month.   

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9wMD5I3FCbs
That's light for a maxi scooter.

Offline Triple Bob

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #2617 on: October 26, 2021, 11:13:56 am »

Wow, I thought he was talking about the GS?!?  That's 20lbs heavier than my Tiger 900!  :rofl2:

Offline Triple Bob

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #2618 on: October 27, 2021, 02:15:21 pm »

Wow, I thought he was talking about the GS?!?  That's 20lbs heavier than my Tiger 900!  :rofl2:

i just looked the burgman 400 is 475Lbs and the 650 is 600 lbs.  that's almost the wieght of my old BMW Rt1150
600lbs for a scooter?!?  :rofl2: That's Harley territory!

Offline dkaz

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +289/-389
  • Flip flop
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 12 Mazda 5 GT 6MT
« Reply #2619 on: October 27, 2021, 02:27:41 pm »
My Silver Wing was 551 lb wet but boy was that thing ever a fantastic highway cruiser. I'd grab another one.