Author Topic: What Motorcycle Have You Been Obsessing About Today?  (Read 535745 times)

Offline ktm525

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +117/-442
  • Just walk away!
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Land Rover LR4, Honda Ridgeline, Husqvarna FE501
Re: What Motorcycle Have You Been Obsessing About Today?
« Reply #2460 on: September 06, 2021, 11:55:14 am »
That Tenere is going to be closer to $17k once the suspension is addressed and the required do-dads are bolted on. Still on the short list once this supply madness passes. Best to find a low hour covid creampuff once we get back to normal.

A fellow rider just picked up a 2017 Husqvarna FE501 with some extras for $8500. The bike had 29 hours on it. In 4 years....

I wouldn't require much add ons.  Probably just the protection bars.... As long as the trottle and brake works.😂

Been looking at the ktm adventure 790 too. I wonder how reliable those ktm are.

LC8? Like an anvil.   Edit: Was on KTM Philippine site. Whew. for a minute I thought they dumped a bunch of models.

« Last Edit: September 06, 2021, 11:58:15 am by ktm525 »

Offline rrocket

• Carma: +1254/-7210
    • View Profile
« Reply #2461 on: September 06, 2021, 05:49:32 pm »

Been looking at the ktm adventure 790 too. I wonder how reliable those ktm are.

My brothers boss is in Baja with his this week...doing some type of roll chart race.
How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

Offline JohnnyMac

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +111/-460
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Honda CR-V Sport, 2022 Honda Civic Si, 2020 Toyota Rav4 Hybrid XLE (traded in), 2020 VW Jetta GLI (Traded in), 2010 Hyundai Santa Fe Limited (sold), 2016 VW Golf R (Sold)
« Reply #2462 on: September 07, 2021, 06:46:05 pm »
Jesus! the top KAwy is now $62k..the F

https://www.kawasaki.ca/en-ca/motorcycle/ninja/hypersport/ninja-h2r
Why exactly is it worth that much?  Is it pure speed or also handling?  Just looked to see how much a Suzuki busa is and it's almost 1/3 that price and I bet it has a higher top speed and likely simikar/faster acceleration.

Offline dirtyjeffer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +296/-1312
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2021 Toyota Venza Limited, 2016 Kia Sorento EX AWD
« Reply #2463 on: September 07, 2021, 07:14:41 pm »

Why exactly is it worth that much?  Is it pure speed or also handling?  Just looked to see how much a Suzuki busa is and it's almost 1/3 that price and I bet it has a higher top speed and likely simikar/faster acceleration.
nope...the H2R is a track only weapon...it would obliterate any street bike...for an interesting video about the history of the Ninja (and the history of motorcycles, in particular "sport bikes and speed"), check this out (saw it the other day):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6MaUi4OWQ9s
« Last Edit: September 07, 2021, 07:17:42 pm by dirtyjeffer »
When you've lost the argument, admit defeat and hit the smite button.

Offline rrocket

• View Profile
« Reply #2464 on: September 07, 2021, 07:55:49 pm »

nope...the H2R is a track only weapon...it would obliterate any street bike...for an interesting video about the history of the Ninja (and the history of motorcycles, in particular "sport bikes and speed"), check this out (saw it the other day):

Sort of. Depends.

They aren't much faster than a Busa or ZX14 stock vs stock.

Can't put the power down in stock trim.

Even drag racing god Gadsen had a very difficult time on a stock bike.
« Last Edit: September 07, 2021, 08:00:31 pm by rrocket »

Offline dirtyjeffer

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #2465 on: September 07, 2021, 08:22:35 pm »

Sort of. Depends.

if you have time, watch that video i linked...the H2R's top speed is 240 MPH...the Busa is street legal though...to keep things more comparable, you'd be better off using the Ninja H2 (not the R version)...it's half the price, has the same engine and is still insanely quick (it is 50 lbs heavier than the H2R though).

Offline rrocket

• View Profile
« Reply #2466 on: September 07, 2021, 08:35:53 pm »

Sort of. Depends.

if you have time, watch that video i linked...the H2R's top speed is 240 MPH...the Busa is street legal though...to keep things more comparable, you'd be better off using the Ninja H2 (not the R version)...it's half the price, has the same engine and is still insanely quick (it is 50 lbs heavier than the H2R though).

That's a modded H2R...and likely Gadsen's.  His record pass was 388km/h (which is 240MPH).  But it wasn't stock.

In perfect conditions, a box stock, prepped H2R went 212 MPH.  Same conditions a bone stock ZX14R went 202.

Offline dirtyjeffer

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #2467 on: September 07, 2021, 08:53:21 pm »

Sort of. Depends.

That's a modded H2R...and likely Gadsen's.  His record pass was 388km/h (which is 240MPH).  But it wasn't stock.

In perfect conditions, a box stock, prepped H2R went 212 MPH.  Same conditions a bone stock ZX14R went 202.
this was 5 1/2 years ago now:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6_n7ru1e-rg

On June 30, 2016, Kenan Sofuoglu, a five-time world champion Supersport circuit-racer, made a top speed attempt. Kawasaki supplied a stock H2R, other than special-formula rubber tires developed by Pirelli for the top speed attempt to withstand extreme high speeds, and the bike was supplied with race-grade fuel. Sofuoglu was supplied with a special one-piece leather suit to enhance aerodynamics for his record attempt.

This attempt, with the Turkish president in attendance, was made across the then-newly completed Osman Gazi Bridge, the fourth longest in the world at just over a mile and a half. Kawasaki quoted the H2R maximum speed to be 380 kilometres per hour (240 mph). After training and preparing for four months, a speed of 400 kilometres per hour (250 mph) in just 26 seconds was claimed by a video-recording of the bike's dashboard display.

The speed was not officially confirmed or independently verified. No fixed point optical sensors for distance/speed calculations, chronometers or hand-held devices were used, and later with a theoretical calculation, of the distance he traveled in 26 seconds on the 8,799-foot-long (2,682 m) bridge. Cycle World's Kevin Cameron had calculated two years earlier that with the right gearing, the H2R's engine power could theoretically overcome aerodynamic drag up to 250–260 miles per hour (400–420 km/h).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kawasaki_Ninja_H2

Offline rrocket

• View Profile
« Reply #2468 on: September 07, 2021, 09:44:24 pm »
That wasn't a record.  That was PR fluff/BS.  No timing lights, no GPS, no nothing.  Nothing "official".   They used the stock speedo to show the 400km/h.  Because speedos are NEVER off 5-10%  ::)  :rofl:  :rofl2:  A stock H2R isn't even geared properly for 400km/h.  Also..both the H2 and H2R come from the factory top speed limited (via ECU) to 186 MPH (300km/h).  That bike was also running very high octane race fuel.  Who know what state of tune they had the ECU in.  With race fuel, you could run a LOT more boost than stock.

Again...I'm familiar with the H2R, as I followed Gadsen and Brock from the get go of these bikes.

They will not do 400km/h stock.  Not even close.

« Last Edit: September 07, 2021, 09:53:35 pm by rrocket »

Offline dirtyjeffer

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #2469 on: September 07, 2021, 11:08:43 pm »
i realize it wasn't an "official" record, as it was also only one way (official records require two  runs, one in each direction with the average speed being recorded), but it was a stock bike (no tune), just tires to handle the top speed and racing fuel.

my point was simply that it's a special bike (lighter weight than the other H2 models and not street legal), hence the price...and it's still damn fast.

Offline rrocket

• View Profile
« Reply #2470 on: September 07, 2021, 11:54:42 pm »
i realize it wasn't an "official" record, as it was also only one way (official records require two  runs, one in each direction with the average speed being recorded), but it was a stock bike (no tune), just tires to handle the top speed and racing fuel.

my point was simply that it's a special bike (lighter weight than the other H2 models and not street legal), hence the price...and it's still damn fast.

You just won't say "whoops, I was wrong", eh?   :rofl: :rofl2:

It was not a stock bike or the speedo was f-ed with.  THE STOCK GEARING AS CONFIGURED ON THE BIKE WILL NOT GO TO 400KM/H. What part of that don't you understand? There is no overcoming that on a stock bike.  PERIOD.  To overcome that, you need to a) alter the gearing b) tune the bike to make more power.   

Due to the stock gearing, the H2R would have to turn 15,250 rpm to reach 400km/h.  The H2R can only pull 14,000RPM (or so) in top gear for a theoretical top speed of 367 km/h or so. THEORETICAL.  For the H2R to hit 400km/h, it would require somewhere in the area of 290 RWHP to reach that speed IN THEORY.  Stock H2Rs do NOT make 290 RWHP.  As luck would have it, Gadson's modified H2R was making about 29X RWHP when it hit 388km/h to give you an idea of what's required.  Or cruise in to some of the bike forums and see what power the Busa guys need to hit 400km/h.

This has been up and down the bike forums since this "record" happened.  And it's been refuted by actual owners of H2Rs and H2 made into H2R (called hybrid H2).   Even the rider (Sofuoglu..spelling?) later said the bike was "lightly modded"..whatever that means.  So yea...race fuel + tune to be able to run way more boost would be a "light mod" depending on what your version of light is.   ;D

But I do agree...it is still damn fast.
« Last Edit: September 08, 2021, 12:04:59 am by rrocket »

Offline dirtyjeffer

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #2471 on: September 08, 2021, 12:02:48 am »
i said stock bike because everything i've read said it was stock...i've pointed to the articles saying as such...if you say it isn't, whatever....i don't care...my point was simply that is was fast and a special trim of the H2, hence it's $60k price tag...that's all.

Offline rrocket

• View Profile
« Reply #2472 on: September 08, 2021, 12:09:08 am »
i said stock bike because everything i've read said it was stock...i've pointed to the articles saying as such...if you say it isn't, whatever....i don't care...my point was simply that is was fast and a special trim of the H2, hence it's $60k price tag...that's all.

I think what we had was a situation similar to the SSC Tuatara recently when their top speed "record" was claimed.

At any rate...I agree with the rest.  Lighter weight, very limited numbers, REALLY fast bike = Big Bucks!!

Some dude in Windsor has one.
« Last Edit: September 08, 2021, 12:18:15 am by rrocket »

Offline rrocket

• View Profile
« Reply #2473 on: September 08, 2021, 12:36:40 am »

Offline JohnnyMac

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Honda CR-V Sport, 2022 Honda Civic Si, 2020 Toyota Rav4 Hybrid XLE (traded in), 2020 VW Jetta GLI (Traded in), 2010 Hyundai Santa Fe Limited (sold), 2016 VW Golf R (Sold)
« Reply #2474 on: September 08, 2021, 06:27:30 pm »
Just did a quick Google search and the 2022 Suzuki Busa has a 240mph top speed, and at under $23k Canadian.  But from what I understand it's more Bugatti hypercar than Pigani hypercar, meaning it's comfy and fast but not the best handler.  But for $60k, you could likely get a few great bikes for all occasions.  One for cruising, one for track, more adventurous terrain.

Offline rrocket

• View Profile
« Reply #2475 on: September 08, 2021, 06:30:54 pm »
Just did a quick Google search and the 2022 Suzuki Busa has a 240mph top speed,

Definitely not.

Offline JohnnyMac

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #2476 on: September 08, 2021, 06:43:21 pm »

Definitely not.
Is it gearing that is limiting it?

Offline rrocket

• View Profile
« Reply #2477 on: September 08, 2021, 06:44:50 pm »

Definitely not.
Is it gearing that is limiting it?

:rofl: :rofl2:

Offline dkaz

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +289/-389
  • Flip flop
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 12 Mazda 5 GT 6MT
« Reply #2478 on: September 08, 2021, 08:43:40 pm »
It's electronically speed limited to 186 mph or 298 km/h. I doubt it can do a whole lot more than 300 km/h.

Offline rrocket

• View Profile
« Reply #2479 on: September 08, 2021, 10:15:36 pm »
It's electronically speed limited to 186 mph or 298 km/h. I doubt it can do a whole lot more than 300 km/h.

Even the old one could do ~325km/h (~200MPH)...so this one is more of the same IMO.