Author Topic: What Motorcycle Have You Been Obsessing About Today?  (Read 535869 times)

Offline rrocket

• Carma: +1254/-7210
    • View Profile
Re: What Motorcycle Have You Been Obsessing About Today?
« Reply #2320 on: July 14, 2021, 04:34:01 pm »
I can fix surface rust with a Scotchbrite and a can of paint in my garage....whereas you wouldn't be fixing the issues on a Ducati as easily. :)

Either way, I wouldn't want to be home fixing rust on a brand new bike.
No doubt!
How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

Online Jaeger

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +707/-12389
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2015 Hyundai Genesis 3.8 AWD, 2016 Honda Fit EX-L Navi, 2019 Genesis G80 3.3t Sport, 2021 Honda CB650R, 2023 Honda Monkey
« Reply #2321 on: July 14, 2021, 04:45:26 pm »
I can fix surface rust with a Scotchbrite and a can of paint in my garage....whereas you wouldn't be fixing the issues on a Ducati as easily. :)

Deal breaker for me. Brand new not inexpensive bike that rusts if the air is a little moist? Pass.
Wokeism is nothing more than the recognition and opposition of bigotry in all its forms.  Bigots are predictably triggered.

Online PJungnitsch

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +170/-337
    • View Profile
    • Travel in Africa
  • Cars: Subaru Crosstrek, Lexus RX350, Evolve Carbon, Biktrix Juggernaut, Yamaha TW200
« Reply #2322 on: July 14, 2021, 05:22:08 pm »
Case bolts made of cheese is almost standard, but finish/metal so cheap it rusts while sitting there is a new level of cheapness and/or poor manufacture

Not like many bikes are out in salt all winter

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1424/-2121
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2020 Toyota Tundra, 2021 Lexus GX460, 2018 Kawasaki Versys X300
« Reply #2323 on: July 14, 2021, 05:22:50 pm »

I agree...but its not a complete deal breaker for me because its easily dealt with. Plus, my bike has a cover and is stored inside during the winter.
Lighten up Francis.....

Offline rrocket

• View Profile
« Reply #2324 on: July 14, 2021, 05:29:59 pm »

I always LOL at stuff like this.  Problems from the Euro bikes are many. And typically expensive and/or hard to resolve.  And people fluff them off like "no biggie".

But a problem with a single Japanese model?  Get out the torches and pitchforks!   :rofl: :rofl2:

Offline Triple Bob

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +308/-574
  • Profesional Dash Stroker
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Tundra, GTI, Triumph Tiger, KTM, C63 AMG, FZ-09, Triumph Speed Triple, VW Golf Wagon TDI, BMW 535i, Honda CRF250L, Hyundai Genesis Coupe, Mitsubishi Outlander, Lotus Exige, Subaru Impreza, Peugeot 106, BMW Z4, Toyota MR2 MKIII, Ford Sierra Sapphire
« Reply #2325 on: July 14, 2021, 05:35:21 pm »

I always LOL at stuff like this.  Problems from the Euro bikes are many. And typically expensive and/or hard to resolve.  And people fluff them off like "no biggie".

But a problem with a single Japanese model?  Get out the torches and pitchforks!   :rofl: :rofl2:

I don't know who you're referring to, but I never said anything about the Ducati, nor compared it to anything. All I said was that the Africa Twin had had some build quality issues, re the 20 year comment from Fob.

Choosing a car based on reliability is like choosing a wife based solely because she is punctual. There is more to it than that...

Offline rrocket

• View Profile
« Reply #2326 on: July 14, 2021, 05:38:03 pm »

I don't know who you're referring to, but I never said anything about the Ducati, nor compared it to anything. All I said was that the Africa Twin had had some build quality issues, re the 20 year comment from Fob.

Was a general comment...an observation.

Online Jaeger

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2015 Hyundai Genesis 3.8 AWD, 2016 Honda Fit EX-L Navi, 2019 Genesis G80 3.3t Sport, 2021 Honda CB650R, 2023 Honda Monkey
« Reply #2327 on: July 14, 2021, 06:05:10 pm »
Case bolts made of cheese is almost standard, but finish/metal so cheap it rusts while sitting there is a new level of cheapness and/or poor manufacture

Yup. Don't know how one can argue with that conclusion.  All bikes don't instantly rust.  That this Honda does is clearly a sign that they have dropped the ball.

Aren't you the one fluffing off a rusting bike like "no biggie"?  Would you find that acceptable on a Toyota or Lexus?  I'm  kind of guessing that if a new Hyundai or Genesis model came out and had immediate problems with "just (lol!) surface rust" you'd be signing a slightly different tune.

Personally, I don't much care where a bike is made and have zero brand-loyalty or brand-hate for any motorcycle manufacturer.  But a brand new bike that rusts before your eyes?  I honestly have no idea how you can fluff that off.  But I don't need to understand - if you'd be okay with it - that's fine.  Your money, your bike.  I wouldn't be okay with my spending money on a ready-to-oxidize ride. Choice is good.

Online Jaeger

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #2328 on: July 14, 2021, 06:05:58 pm »

It's called "deflection" and "whataboutism".

Offline rrocket

• View Profile
« Reply #2329 on: July 14, 2021, 06:09:19 pm »

Exactly.

Someone said something about Ducati reliability and the next post was "What about Honda!"   :rofl: :rofl2:

Offline rrocket

• View Profile
« Reply #2330 on: July 14, 2021, 06:13:22 pm »

Yup. Don't know how one can argue with that conclusion.  All bikes don't instantly rust.  That this Honda does is clearly a sign that they have dropped the ball.

Aren't you the one fluffing off a rusting bike like "no biggie"?  Would you find that acceptable on a Toyota or Lexus?  I'm  kind of guessing that if a new Hyundai or Genesis model came out and had immediate problems with "just (lol!) surface rust" you'd be signing a slightly different tune.

Personally, I don't much care where a bike is made and have zero brand-loyalty or brand-hate for any motorcycle manufacturer.  But a brand new bike that rusts before your eyes?  I honestly have no idea how you can fluff that off.  But I don't need to understand - if you'd be okay with it - that's fine.  Your money, your bike.  I wouldn't be okay with my spending money on a ready-to-oxidize ride. Choice is good.

If your only issue with a Euro bike was some rust at weld joints because the paint was (probably) too thin, you'd be doing cartwheels.   :rofl: :rofl2:  I've seen the issues Euro motorcycle owning friends have had (including my bro, who used to be a BMW slappie).  And they can be brutal. And brutally expensive.

Point being....despite whatever issue is affliction the AT (and it's a problem), Hondas (and Japanese bikes in general) are far, far more reliable and built to a better standard than most of the Euro bikes.  That's all. 

But I still like me some KTM!!   ;D

Recalls since 2017:

Honda 7
KTM 8
Triumph ~30
BMW ~30
Ducati 40+   :o

« Last Edit: July 14, 2021, 06:57:20 pm by rrocket »

Offline ktm525

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +117/-442
  • Just walk away!
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Land Rover LR4, Honda Ridgeline, Husqvarna FE501
« Reply #2331 on: July 14, 2021, 06:58:54 pm »
On the dirt side the Japanese manufacturers still bolt on inferior bars, control levers, brake levers etc and are typically 30-40lbs heavier. Easy to make more robust stuff when you have a weight problem. The Euros have pushed it to the limit the other way  by trying to shave ounces with smaller bearings etc.

Offline rrocket

• View Profile
« Reply #2332 on: July 14, 2021, 07:13:42 pm »
On the dirt side the Japanese manufacturers still bolt on inferior bars, control levers, brake levers etc and are typically 30-40lbs heavier. Easy to make more robust stuff when you have a weight problem. The Euros have pushed it to the limit the other way  by trying to shave ounces with smaller bearings etc.

Good point. 

I've always found KTMs to be expensive (duh!).  But then my KTM had Brembos, Marchesini wheels, White Power suspension, etc.....some real top shelf components that cost $$$$

I think on almost every off roader I've owned, I've changed the bars anyways.  Everyone has their preferred bend/brand for that it seems.   ;D
« Last Edit: July 14, 2021, 08:24:42 pm by rrocket »

Offline Triple Bob

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Tundra, GTI, Triumph Tiger, KTM, C63 AMG, FZ-09, Triumph Speed Triple, VW Golf Wagon TDI, BMW 535i, Honda CRF250L, Hyundai Genesis Coupe, Mitsubishi Outlander, Lotus Exige, Subaru Impreza, Peugeot 106, BMW Z4, Toyota MR2 MKIII, Ford Sierra Sapphire
« Reply #2333 on: July 14, 2021, 11:39:29 pm »

Exactly.

Someone said something about Ducati reliability and the next post was "What about Honda!"   :rofl: :rofl2:

Man, you really do like to make arguments out of nothing at all don't you.

This is what actually happened:

an Africa Twin does the same thing, and they will continue to do it for the next 20 years.

You say that, but Honda has had a bunch of build quality issues with the AT in the UK.

All I said was that the AT would be lucky to last 20 years with the early corrosion issues. I didn't mention, or infer that they were better or worse that Ducati. Get a grip Ron, no one is trashing Japanese bikes, least of all me (as the current owner of two).

Offline rrocket

• View Profile
« Reply #2334 on: July 14, 2021, 11:41:17 pm »
^^I dunno...all of my laughing guy emojis say I'm pretty light-hearted about it....

But feel free to be irritated with me anyways.  ;D   ;)

« Last Edit: July 14, 2021, 11:46:14 pm by rrocket »

Online Jaeger

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #2335 on: July 15, 2021, 06:23:26 am »
Difference is, I haven't seen anyone here claiming that poor mechanical reliability - in a Ducati or anything else -  is no biggie.  So that's one overstuffed straw man that you can quit beating on anytime now.  But you ARE claiming that a new bike instantly rusting is no biggie.  Which I find kinda weird.
« Last Edit: July 15, 2021, 06:25:10 am by Jaeger »

Offline ktm525

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +117/-442
  • Just walk away!
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Land Rover LR4, Honda Ridgeline, Husqvarna FE501
« Reply #2336 on: July 15, 2021, 11:00:31 am »
Wow didn't know the Africa Twin had some rust issues on the frame.  I looked at some forums and looks pretty bad,  you  would think they would have gone the extra mile to make this iconic bike Honda reliability.   That's pretty poor quality.  The Tacomas of bike :P

You had to go there? oh no. ;D

Offline Gurgie

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +308/-518
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2019 Honda Passport Touring
« Reply #2337 on: July 15, 2021, 11:11:16 am »
Wow didn't know the Africa Twin had some rust issues on the frame.  I looked at some forums and looks pretty bad,  you  would think they would have gone the extra mile to make this iconic bike Honda reliability.   That's pretty poor quality.  The Tacomas of bike :P

:rofl:  :popcorn:
You live everyday. You only die once....

Offline dkaz

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +289/-389
  • Flip flop
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 12 Mazda 5 GT 6MT
« Reply #2338 on: July 15, 2021, 11:39:13 am »
The rust is maybe a little concerning but honestly nothing a bit of POR15 can't fix. If it's bad enough, I hope Honda does a full on recall.

For a brand new bike to be in a shop for longer than it's at home is inexcusable.

Offline Triple Bob

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #2339 on: July 15, 2021, 12:07:21 pm »

:rofl:  :popcorn:

:rofl2:

I'd be pissed if I had to put POR15 on a brand new bike. In the UK they replaced everyone's wheels as the spokes and rims were rusting. Then some of the replacements also started to corrode.