Author Topic: What Motorcycle Have You Been Obsessing About Today?  (Read 535833 times)

Online Guy

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +480/-1199
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2021 Mustang Mach-E Premium, 2019 Volvo XC40 Momentum
Re: What Motorcycle Have You Been Obsessing About Today?
« Reply #2300 on: June 10, 2021, 02:23:48 pm »
60,000£  :o

Offline rrocket

• Carma: +1254/-7210
    • View Profile
« Reply #2301 on: June 10, 2021, 05:31:39 pm »

The original R7 was a nice looking bike, but it never won anything, so it's all emotion, it doesn't really have a legacy. As road bikes they are just collectors items now. There's one for sale in Yorkshire if you want one.  ;D

You couldn't be more wrong.  And I should know....I owned the R7's three, limited edition homologation specials (FZR750RR, 0W01, YZF-SP).  I would have completed the set, and that was the intention, but the cost of the R7 was well beyond my reach.   :'(

It was much, much more than being about "nice looking" and race record.  I'll explain below so everyone understands.

There's was 2 ways manufacturers could go about racing a bike.  They could take a very good streetbike with DNA from their race knowledge that sold in the many thousands that anyone could buy at their local dealer (RC51 or R1, say).  That bike would then be turned into a race bike.  Or they could make a homologation race special, sold in very few numbers (50 per market, 500 total) that was a race bike from the get-go.  These typically had all of the brands technology thrown at it and some parts that could be classified as "unobtanium".  They also typically had parts on them that were ill-suited for the street (particularly the transmissions).  And they were particularly expensive (R7 was $50K+ CDN).  And the factories (allegedly) loss money on every single one...which was a big deal because Japanese companies are so conservative.  Such was their commitment to racing.  Which is why these are special.

And while the RC51 is spectacular in its own rights, it's wasn't a homologation special like the 2 previous bikes; the RC30 and RC45.  Some might argue the RC51 was the more successful racer (champion in AMA Superbike, World Superbike, Suzuka 24 hours, etc) but the RC30 and RC45 are still much, much more special.  That's also the reason they cost 10 times (or more) what you can buy an RC51 for.  And the R7 is one of these.

So yea, I think calling the new bike an R7 tarnishes the legacy of the factory specials.  Especially with the equipment/performance on the new R7.  Heck, the new R7 makes 50% less power than the smaller R6!

For people here who don't know bikes, the automotive equivalent would be if Corvette publicly sold the C8.R (or Porsche 911 RSR) with a 4 banger making 200HP and not actually including any of the racing bits on it.  And still called it the C8.R or RSR.

Now all of that being said...I don't think the new R7 will be a bad bike or anything.  It's just not a "real" R7 to me (and others).

« Last Edit: June 10, 2021, 05:41:42 pm by rrocket »
How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1424/-2121
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2020 Toyota Tundra, 2021 Lexus GX460, 2018 Kawasaki Versys X300
« Reply #2302 on: June 10, 2021, 05:32:55 pm »
Holy :censor:....60000 pounds, thats....like a lot in Canadian rupees.
Lighten up Francis.....

Offline Triple Bob

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +308/-574
  • Profesional Dash Stroker
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Tundra, GTI, Triumph Tiger, KTM, C63 AMG, FZ-09, Triumph Speed Triple, VW Golf Wagon TDI, BMW 535i, Honda CRF250L, Hyundai Genesis Coupe, Mitsubishi Outlander, Lotus Exige, Subaru Impreza, Peugeot 106, BMW Z4, Toyota MR2 MKIII, Ford Sierra Sapphire
« Reply #2303 on: June 11, 2021, 08:35:28 am »

The original R7 was a nice looking bike, but it never won anything, so it's all emotion, it doesn't really have a legacy. As road bikes they are just collectors items now. There's one for sale in Yorkshire if you want one.  ;D

There's was 2 ways manufacturers could go about racing a bike.  They could take a very good streetbike with DNA from their race knowledge that sold in the many thousands that anyone could buy at their local dealer (RC51 or R1, say).  That bike would then be turned into a race bike.  Or they could make a homologation race special, sold in very few numbers (50 per market, 500 total) that was a race bike from the get-go.  These typically had all of the brands technology thrown at it and some parts that could be classified as "unobtanium".  They also typically had parts on them that were ill-suited for the street (particularly the transmissions).  And they were particularly expensive (R7 was $50K+ CDN).  And the factories (allegedly) loss money on every single one...which was a big deal because Japanese companies are so conservative.  Such was their commitment to racing.  Which is why these are special.

You just confirmed everything I said. Some people hold it in very high regard because of the way it was developed. So they built a low numbers, race special, from unobtanium. And yet they still didn't win anything with it.  Nobody cares that they didn't make a profit. The Porsche and the Corvette are terrible comparisons, as they have won lots of races.

I didn't say it was a bad bike, I just said that calling the new bike the R7 doesn't really tarnish any legacy, because there isn't one to tarnish.

Choosing a car based on reliability is like choosing a wife based solely because she is punctual. There is more to it than that...

Online Guy

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +480/-1199
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2021 Mustang Mach-E Premium, 2019 Volvo XC40 Momentum
« Reply #2304 on: June 11, 2021, 08:41:31 am »
Saw the new Multistrada V4 Sport yesterday. What a bike!  :o :o

Offline Triple Bob

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Tundra, GTI, Triumph Tiger, KTM, C63 AMG, FZ-09, Triumph Speed Triple, VW Golf Wagon TDI, BMW 535i, Honda CRF250L, Hyundai Genesis Coupe, Mitsubishi Outlander, Lotus Exige, Subaru Impreza, Peugeot 106, BMW Z4, Toyota MR2 MKIII, Ford Sierra Sapphire
« Reply #2305 on: June 11, 2021, 08:46:19 am »
Saw the new Multistrada V4 Sport yesterday. What a bike!  :o :o
Yeah, my buddy in NY has the previous version, loves it!

Offline dkaz

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +289/-389
  • Flip flop
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 12 Mazda 5 GT 6MT
« Reply #2306 on: June 11, 2021, 10:48:55 am »
When I think Ducati, I think about how Snowcat's Hypermotard breaking down so often it spent more time in the shop than on the road. Ducati bought it back for what he paid for it in exchange for him never speaking of it again.

Offline rrocket

• View Profile
« Reply #2307 on: June 11, 2021, 05:21:15 pm »

You just confirmed everything I said. Some people hold it in very high regard because of the way it was developed. So they built a low numbers, race special, from unobtanium. And yet they still didn't win anything with it.  Nobody cares that they didn't make a profit. The Porsche and the Corvette are terrible comparisons, as they have won lots of races.

I didn't say it was a bad bike, I just said that calling the new bike the R7 doesn't really tarnish any legacy, because there isn't one to tarnish.
Factory Special/Factory Race Bike IS the legacy.

Even if it never turns a wheel on a race track (NR750, Desmosedici RR, etc) or wins a title, it's the legacy of being a factory special that makes these bike so coveted and well..special.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2021, 05:25:18 pm by rrocket »

Offline Triple Bob

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile

Offline Jaeger

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +707/-12389
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2015 Hyundai Genesis 3.8 AWD, 2016 Honda Fit EX-L Navi, 2019 Genesis G80 3.3t Sport, 2021 Honda CB650R, 2023 Honda Monkey
« Reply #2309 on: July 14, 2021, 10:00:27 am »
^^^  :o :o :o :o :o :o :o
Wokeism is nothing more than the recognition and opposition of bigotry in all its forms.  Bigots are predictably triggered.

Offline Bubba

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +382/-442
  • Vice President, Autos.ca Arizona Operations
    • View Profile
    • My photo site
  • Cars: 2013 Toyota Corolla LE
« Reply #2310 on: July 14, 2021, 10:57:29 am »
Oooooh.   :o
My reading of history convinces me that most bad government results from too much government. - Thomas Jefferson

Offline Brig

• Brig
  • Carma: +396/-1400
  • Class Clown, Moderatrix and Resident Hag
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2016 Mazda CX-3 GS AWD
« Reply #2311 on: July 14, 2021, 11:26:35 am »
And it's got training wheels and everything!

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #2312 on: July 14, 2021, 11:28:48 am »
When I think Ducati, I think about how Snowcat's Hypermotard breaking down so often it spent more time in the shop than on the road. Ducati bought it back for what he paid for it in exchange for him never speaking of it again.

Argyll motorsports, which is where I go get my Klim stuff, is a Ducati dealer. Boy howdy, dem Italians sure do know how to make a pretty bike, but yeah, I wouldn't want one just because of the legendarily bad reliability history. I really like the Multistrada, but at that price, a Super Tenere or an Africa Twin does the same thing, and they will continue to do it for the next 20 years.

Offline Triple Bob

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #2313 on: July 14, 2021, 01:16:23 pm »
You say that, but Honda has had a bunch of build quality issues with the AT in the UK.

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #2314 on: July 14, 2021, 01:18:11 pm »
You say that, but Honda has had a bunch of build quality issues with the AT in the UK.

Really?!!?? I've never seen anything but positive reviews about :o :o

Offline Triple Bob

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #2315 on: July 14, 2021, 01:40:39 pm »

Really?!!?? I've never seen anything but positive reviews about :o :o

Lots of rust issues apparently, just google "honda africa twin rust".

Offline rrocket

• View Profile
« Reply #2316 on: July 14, 2021, 03:21:34 pm »
I can fix surface rust with a Scotchbrite and a can of paint in my garage....whereas you wouldn't be fixing the issues on a Ducati as easily. :)

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #2317 on: July 14, 2021, 03:48:35 pm »
I can fix surface rust with a Scotchbrite and a can of paint in my garage....whereas you wouldn't be fixing the issues on a Ducati as easily. :)

Thats what I am thinking.....a can of Krylon and a scuff pad are easy to do in your own garage, some unknown electrical gremlin, naaahhh, I'm out.

Offline Triple Bob

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #2318 on: July 14, 2021, 04:33:32 pm »

Either way, I wouldn't want to be home fixing rust on a brand new bike.

Offline rrocket

• View Profile
« Reply #2319 on: July 14, 2021, 04:33:49 pm »

Thats what I am thinking.....a can of Krylon and a scuff pad are easy to do in your own garage, some unknown electrical gremlin, naaahhh, I'm out.
You think that's fun...try adjusting the valves on a Ducati...