Author Topic: What Motorcycle Have You Been Obsessing About Today?  (Read 535644 times)

Offline Arthur Dent

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +186/-80
  • 42?
    • View Profile
Re: What Motorcycle Have You Been Obsessing About Today?
« Reply #2140 on: March 15, 2021, 04:43:40 pm »
They used to be horrible quality wise - 80s Hyundai of the bike world. They invested huge in quality and seems to be paying off. They are built in India and some folks have a tough time with that is maybe a part if it.

Offline PJungnitsch

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +170/-337
    • View Profile
    • Travel in Africa
  • Cars: Subaru Crosstrek, Lexus RX350, Evolve Carbon, Biktrix Juggernaut, Yamaha TW200
« Reply #2141 on: March 15, 2021, 04:45:59 pm »
Not sure if they were worse than the British original, but by modern standards they've been crappily built for a long long time

Will be interesting if they've actually turned things around

Offline Jaeger

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +707/-12389
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2015 Hyundai Genesis 3.8 AWD, 2016 Honda Fit EX-L Navi, 2019 Genesis G80 3.3t Sport, 2021 Honda CB650R, 2023 Honda Monkey
« Reply #2142 on: March 15, 2021, 04:46:27 pm »
They used to be horrible quality wise - 80s Hyundai of the bike world. They invested huge in quality and seems to be paying off. They are built in India and some folks have a tough time with that is maybe a part if it.

Ah - thanks.  Well most Triumphs are made in Thailand - people need to get over themselves.
Wokeism is nothing more than the recognition and opposition of bigotry in all its forms.  Bigots are predictably triggered.

Offline rrocket

• Carma: +1254/-7210
    • View Profile
« Reply #2143 on: March 15, 2021, 04:52:29 pm »

I remember when they released the teaser video for the new Himalayan..and you could see parts falling off in the video.   :rofl: :rofl2:

Within a year of the release, there were a few people who experienced the bike breaking in half.

So yea.... :rofl: :rofl2:
How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

Offline PJungnitsch

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
    • Travel in Africa
  • Cars: Subaru Crosstrek, Lexus RX350, Evolve Carbon, Biktrix Juggernaut, Yamaha TW200
« Reply #2144 on: March 15, 2021, 04:59:23 pm »
Article here on the company, it's an interesting history:

https://www.revzilla.com/common-tread/royal-enfield-overcoming-past-perceptions-to-build-a-new-reality-of-reliability

But yeah, if they actually turn things around is a different thing. It's amazing how much we take for granted with modern bikes, I didn't realize how much until I rode a Minsk around Vietnam for a day

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1424/-2121
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2020 Toyota Tundra, 2021 Lexus GX460, 2018 Kawasaki Versys X300
« Reply #2145 on: March 15, 2021, 05:02:27 pm »

Yeah, as far as I know they are developed in England, not too far from Triumph with a bunch of their old employees and built in India. I mean its not Japan, but it can't be any worse than China. Fortnine just did a test of engine cleanliness on new bikes, and RE came on top of all of them. No surprise, the Chinese, Italians and Brits were all handily at the bottom with the Chinese being pretty well off the shafts. I don't know, for $7-8k its almost worth the risk, this isn't some $25-30k BMW/KTM where thats a huge roll of the dice, this, is a relatively small one.
Lighten up Francis.....

Offline JohnnyMac

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +111/-460
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Honda CR-V Sport, 2022 Honda Civic Si, 2020 Toyota Rav4 Hybrid XLE (traded in), 2020 VW Jetta GLI (Traded in), 2010 Hyundai Santa Fe Limited (sold), 2016 VW Golf R (Sold)
« Reply #2146 on: March 15, 2021, 05:20:49 pm »
So for the most part we think of vehicles built in Japan to be the highest quality and most well built for cars.  As far as motorcycles, which country builds the best?

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #2147 on: March 15, 2021, 05:21:58 pm »
So for the most part we think of vehicles built in Japan to be the highest quality and most well built for cars.  As far as motorcycles, which country builds the best?

The "best" is subjective, most reliable, Japanese, far and away the best. Performance wise, that totally depends on the segment of the bike.

Offline JohnnyMac

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Honda CR-V Sport, 2022 Honda Civic Si, 2020 Toyota Rav4 Hybrid XLE (traded in), 2020 VW Jetta GLI (Traded in), 2010 Hyundai Santa Fe Limited (sold), 2016 VW Golf R (Sold)
« Reply #2148 on: March 15, 2021, 05:26:36 pm »

The "best" is subjective, most reliable, Japanese, far and away the best. Performance wise, that totally depends on the segment of the bike.
Are the majority of the Japanese bikes made in Japan?  I tend to think the most reliable vehicles come out of Japan, the highest quality vehicles out of Germany, and the most style and soul out of Italy.

Offline rrocket

• View Profile
« Reply #2149 on: March 15, 2021, 05:31:35 pm »

Are the majority of the Japanese bikes made in Japan?  I tend to think 1) the most reliable vehicles come out of Japan, 2) the highest quality vehicles out of Germany, and 3) the most style and soul out of Italy.

1) I'd probably agree with that

2) I'd disagree with that.

3) It depends

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #2150 on: March 15, 2021, 05:32:20 pm »

Are the majority of the Japanese bikes made in Japan?  I tend to think the most reliable vehicles come out of Japan, the highest quality vehicles out of Germany, and the most style and soul out of Italy.

I'd disagree with that.

Yeah, I'm with Rocket on this one as well......glitzy, sure, fancy, sure, quality....ehhhhh.

Offline PJungnitsch

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
    • Travel in Africa
« Reply #2151 on: March 15, 2021, 05:36:59 pm »
Watched too much Hoovies Garage/Car Wizard to associate German with quality. See it more associated with biodegradable plastic parts and bad ideas like wiring the park sensors in line with the transmission

Performance, clever designs, driving feel maybe

Offline JohnnyMac

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #2152 on: March 15, 2021, 05:37:49 pm »

I'd disagree with that.
Between Porsche, BMW, Mercedes-Benz, and Audi, it's hard to beat as far as quality vehicles.  You might be able to convince me that England is better, because of Bentley, Rolls Royce, Jaguar, McLaren, and Range Rover.  But they make Waay less vehicles.

Offline rrocket

• View Profile
« Reply #2153 on: March 15, 2021, 05:43:18 pm »

I'd disagree with that.
Between Porsche, BMW, Mercedes-Benz, and Audi, it's hard to beat as far as quality vehicles.  You might be able to convince me that England is better, because of Bentley, Rolls Royce, Jaguar, McLaren, and Range Rover.  But they make Waay less vehicles.

We're talking motorcycles, right??

Even if cars then there's Japanese marques that have impeccable quality.  And I even think "reliability" goes hand in hand with quality.  If you use "quality" components throughout with quality design and quality manufacturing, the car should be dead reliable.  Which is something German cars tend not to be compared to others.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2021, 05:47:03 pm by rrocket »

Offline dkaz

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +289/-389
  • Flip flop
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 12 Mazda 5 GT 6MT
« Reply #2154 on: March 15, 2021, 05:46:05 pm »
Fortnine did a used break in oil analysis of 12 brand new motorcycles.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9GAUo8eUXeU

Offline rrocket

• View Profile
« Reply #2155 on: March 15, 2021, 05:48:56 pm »
Fortnine did a used break in oil analysis of 12 brand new motorcycles.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9GAUo8eUXeU

Not sure if I should watch. 

Have seen some of his "tests" before and they weren't terribly..umm..good.

Offline bridgecity

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +126/-182
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2014 MDX; 2007 Tundra
« Reply #2156 on: March 15, 2021, 05:53:58 pm »
I clicked, then immediately exited out.  He's too much, can't take it.
Quality is never an accident; it is always the result of high intention, sincere effort, intelligent direction, and skillful execution; it represents the wise choice of many alternatives.

Offline JohnnyMac

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #2157 on: March 15, 2021, 06:00:36 pm »

I'd disagree with that.

We're talking motorcycles, right??

Even if cars then there's Japanese marques that have impeccable quality.  And I even think "reliability" goes hand in hand with quality.  If you use "quality" components throughout with quality design and quality manufacturing, the car should be dead reliable.  Which is something German cars tend not to be compared to others.
Well I was asking at first where the best bikes are made, mainly because of the discussion above about sub par build quality bikes out of India.  But then I was using passenger vehicles as a way to help illustrate where we think the best vehicles are made.  I guess quality might be a bad term to use as people think of different things when they think about quality.  Looking back at my posts it looks like I contradict myself by saying Japan makes the best quality vehicles and then say Germany, so I'm definitely confusing myself and others.

I guess what I was failing to say is if I was building the perfect vehicle I would want the styling and sound from Italy, the interior and driving feel from Germany, and screwed together in Japan.  Would it be similar for bikes?
« Last Edit: March 15, 2021, 06:04:23 pm by JohnnyMac »

Offline rrocket

• View Profile
« Reply #2158 on: March 15, 2021, 06:04:53 pm »
so I'm definitely confusing myself and others.

:rofl: :rofl2:

That's what this forum is for, no??

Offline ktm525

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +117/-442
  • Just walk away!
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Land Rover LR4, Honda Ridgeline, Husqvarna FE501
« Reply #2159 on: March 15, 2021, 06:11:37 pm »

Not in my world. Despite the eye watering price KTM/Husky has had many many quality issues off the showroom floor. Google Magura clutch slaves Husqvarna. My buddies clutch slave failed at 4 hours and the dealer gave him attitude.  ::) Another friend's KTM had a portion of a broken head gasket overlain with another one during manufacture. Created a lean condition and BOOM. Engine seized with a few hours on it. So yeah I will give the Royal Enfield a break.