Author Topic: What Motorcycle Have You Been Obsessing About Today?  (Read 535611 times)

Offline dkaz

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +289/-389
  • Flip flop
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 12 Mazda 5 GT 6MT
Re: What Motorcycle Have You Been Obsessing About Today?
« Reply #2100 on: March 11, 2021, 02:39:26 pm »
Yeah...those fair weather assholes...he...he...he  :run:

Just be cautious. Get yourself to a parking lot your first ride of the year to relearn how to ride, how to brake, etc. Get comfortable again. But I'd say you're going to do better than someone who pulls out their big cruiser or super sport bike out straight to the highway for a rip.

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1424/-2121
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2020 Toyota Tundra, 2021 Lexus GX460, 2018 Kawasaki Versys X300
« Reply #2101 on: March 11, 2021, 02:43:51 pm »
I definitely plan to go terrify the local church goers by borrowing their parking lot to remember what limb does what.
Lighten up Francis.....

Offline Triple Bob

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +308/-574
  • Profesional Dash Stroker
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Tundra, GTI, Triumph Tiger, KTM, C63 AMG, FZ-09, Triumph Speed Triple, VW Golf Wagon TDI, BMW 535i, Honda CRF250L, Hyundai Genesis Coupe, Mitsubishi Outlander, Lotus Exige, Subaru Impreza, Peugeot 106, BMW Z4, Toyota MR2 MKIII, Ford Sierra Sapphire
« Reply #2102 on: March 11, 2021, 02:45:14 pm »
I actually watch crash videos now and them to remind me of the risk.

There are only really two types of crash:

1. Biker's fault - I.e. you're doing something silly / riding beyond your ability / not paying attention etc.

&

2. Driver's fault - They did something stupid that you couldn't avoid.

99% of the crashes I see online are avoidable, by just doing what Roger said, assuming that literally everyone else on the road is about to do something stupid. The graveyard is full of bikers that were right, and had right of way.  I cringe when I see people riding fast past waiting cars and the like, they literally give themselves no way out if the situation changes.

Everything I have read about motorcycle safety is consistent with that.  Alcohol apparently also plays a role in motorcycle accidents. (see 1.)

One of the personal questions for potential motorcyclists to consider is whether the focus required to stay safe sucks too much of the joy out of the experience.

Not at all. It's easy to be safe, you just have to check your ego, lots of people can't seem to do that.  I try to ride safe all the time and absolutely love it.

I wonder what setting most motorcycling accidents happen, city, highway, back roads, etc.  If I ever decided to get into motorcycling I could see it being something like a weekend toy spent on the nice days on back roads.  I would think this type of riding is likely some of the safest.

Lots of people crash on corners on their own with no one else involved, I've done it. See pt 1.

Also lots of people crash on group rides too, as they are either being stupid, riding at someone else's ability level, or fail to judge distance properly, which will cause you to run into the back of your mates when they see a hazard before you.

Choosing a car based on reliability is like choosing a wife based solely because she is punctual. There is more to it than that...

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #2103 on: March 11, 2021, 02:49:40 pm »
I have heard nothing but bad things about group rides, usually its a pissing contest or some newb running out of talent trying to keep up with WAY more experienced riders that causes all sorts of issues.

Offline Gurgie

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +308/-518
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2019 Honda Passport Touring
« Reply #2104 on: March 11, 2021, 03:01:42 pm »
I have heard nothing but bad things about group rides, usually its a pissing contest or some newb running out of talent trying to keep up with WAY more experienced riders that causes all sorts of issues.

I never bothered with big group rides, too much of a facking pain in the ass. I think the largest cruise I ever went for was with 5 other bikes, and in that instance we took a workday off & hit a bunch of backroads, stopped for lunch along the St. Lawrence River & then made our way back to Ottawa. That was nice & leisurely. Other times I'd just head out with another buddy who had a sport bike & we'd rip thru some back roads. And then mostly I was solo doing my own thing. Or commuting to work, which sucked balls, hated that!
You live everyday. You only die once....

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #2105 on: March 11, 2021, 03:04:33 pm »

I never bothered with big group rides, too much of a facking pain in the ass. I think the largest cruise I ever went for was with 5 other bikes, and in that instance we took a workday off & hit a bunch of backroads, stopped for lunch along the St. Lawrence River & then made our way back to Ottawa. That was nice & leisurely. Other times I'd just head out with another buddy who had a sport bike & we'd rip thru some back roads. And then mostly I was solo doing my own thing. Or commuting to work, which sucked balls, hated that!

I've got a group of 3-4 buddies that I go with. They have a lot of experience so its good for a newb like me to learn and they will point out what I am doing wrong. Anything bigger, no thanks. What those degens in the states do when they take over highways and streets, that is utterly unacceptable and I couldn't express how much I want to stay away from anything like that.

Offline Triple Bob

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Tundra, GTI, Triumph Tiger, KTM, C63 AMG, FZ-09, Triumph Speed Triple, VW Golf Wagon TDI, BMW 535i, Honda CRF250L, Hyundai Genesis Coupe, Mitsubishi Outlander, Lotus Exige, Subaru Impreza, Peugeot 106, BMW Z4, Toyota MR2 MKIII, Ford Sierra Sapphire
« Reply #2106 on: March 11, 2021, 03:30:24 pm »
I enjoy riding with friends 100%. But even then you can be tired or whatever and need to go along at someone else's pace. Sometimes you might not even notice it.

I like riding in smaller groups, where I know everyone. Above 5-6 would be where I would probably draw the line. And definitely not with people I don't know.

Offline rrocket

• Carma: +1254/-7210
    • View Profile
« Reply #2107 on: March 11, 2021, 03:31:32 pm »
We had a group we rode with and while the "rules" seemed militant, it kept us safe.

Everyone had to wear motorcycle to motorcycle communication. As Bob points out, this ensured everyone knew what was going on. Road hazards were pointed out, etc It also made the ride more enjoyable being able to chat with your buddies.

We also bought into "the pace"  https://www.cycleworld.com/2013/09/16/become-a-better-street-rider-with-the-pace-motorcycle-safety-and-riding-skills/

There were other small "rules" too and ultimately we never had any accidents or close calls within this group.
How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #2108 on: March 11, 2021, 03:34:38 pm »
I enjoy riding with friends 100%. But even then you can be tired or whatever and need to go along at someone else's pace. Sometimes you might not even notice it.

I like riding in smaller groups, where I know everyone. Above 5-6 would be where I would probably draw the line. And definitely not with people I don't know.

A buddy of mine had a bad experience with someone they didn't know. Group ride organized on some local bike page. Met at gas station, one guy was the only one that no one knew. Went out for a ride towards the mountains, they were speeding, Royal Majesties Revenue Collectors goes to pull them over, guy takes off at high speed, the others get pulled over and questioned about the rabbit, no one knows him, cop doesn't believe them, :censor: and fuckery ensues. As fun as that sounds, no thank you

Offline Triple Bob

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #2109 on: March 11, 2021, 04:08:08 pm »
Guy at my work invited me to ride with his local group. They all have licence plates that flip up. No thanks.

Offline DriverJeff

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +181/-628
    • View Profile
    • Echo Bay Media
  • Cars: Whatever I'm assigned for the week + '13 Lexus GX460, '86 Toyota MR2, '18 Kawasaki Z900RS SE, 2021 Jeep Wrangler (GF's)
« Reply #2110 on: March 11, 2021, 04:21:58 pm »
Guy at my work invited me to ride with his local group. They all have licence plates that flip up. No thanks.

Yikes! 
The past:00 BMW M Rdstr, 19 Jetta, 15 Ducati Scrambler, 09 Triumph Bonneville, 98 Boxster, 17 Kawi Z900, 05 LS 430, 99 LS 400, 17 Subaru STI, 14 Triumph STR, 15 WRX, 09 Ducati Monster 1100,  08 335i, 06 Suzuki SV650S, 06 330i, 06 MX-5, 04 Audi A4, 03 Suzuki SV650S, 98 328i, 93 Civic Si, 85 Corolla

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #2111 on: March 11, 2021, 04:24:19 pm »
If I was 19-20, those sound like my kinda people

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk

Offline dirtyjeffer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +296/-1312
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2021 Toyota Venza Limited, 2016 Kia Sorento EX AWD
« Reply #2112 on: March 11, 2021, 05:07:22 pm »
If I was 19-20, those sound like my kinda people
we're all indestructible when we're 20 (well, we think we are).
When you've lost the argument, admit defeat and hit the smite button.

Offline dkaz

• Car Crazy
  • Flip flop
    • View Profile
« Reply #2113 on: March 11, 2021, 07:06:12 pm »
I’ve been on a half dozen group rides in the past few years. Usually respectful groups. I did four group rides early on with my riding school, twice as a student and twice as an assistant supervisor. I still ride with new riders to coach and give them feedback.

One with BC Riding Community which is like a 75/25% mix of motorcycles/scooters and our ride was lead by a Grom so you know we’re not hooning, followed by a Snowcat ride which was actually really good. Both great group rides.

https://youtu.be/dABq1LxakO4

Back in 2019, a memorial procession for a fallen brother. This was coordinated with the city so we were allowed to run all the red lights (with intersection cameras) and not get a single red light ticket. Doing the speed limit otherwise. Again no issues.

Then I’ll go to Tims on Whyte Ave to find people to ride with. One time we went on a Pokémon Go mission.

Ride with the guys who only bring out their bikes a few times a year to show how fast they can go and you’re asking for trouble. There’s been a couple of rides where I bowed out because they were going way faster than I was comfortable going. But I love respectful group rides otherwise.

Offline Triple Bob

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #2114 on: March 11, 2021, 07:15:28 pm »
See I don't see the point of that, biking to me is all about freedom, I choose which way to go and when. And if I see something interesting I pull over to take a look. Following other people slowly doesn't sound fun to me.

My last tour in the US I was booking each Air BnB just one day in advance, so I didn't really even know where I wanted to go. Absolutely loved it. Did 5-6 states in a week, mainly twisty roads, amazing stuff.

Each night I would go to the local pub, chat with the locals, look up interesting roads, find a small town at the end, book accommodation, eat/drink/chat, and then off to the next town the next day. I've never felt so free.

Offline dkaz

• Car Crazy
  • Flip flop
    • View Profile
« Reply #2115 on: March 11, 2021, 07:20:44 pm »
Over 98% of my rides are solo rides, and they're usually less than 50km long. It's fun once in awhile to get together with a group.

Oh, I forgot about the toy run, although I saw a low speed spill 10-15 bikes behind me. It looks like as traffic was starting to go again, one of the bikes stalled and the bike behind didn't expect it and ran into the other. At low speed obviously.

Offline rrocket

• View Profile
« Reply #2116 on: March 11, 2021, 07:22:41 pm »
See I don't see the point of that, biking to me is all about freedom, I choose which way to go and when. And if I see something interesting I pull over to take a look. Following other people slowly doesn't sound fun to me.

My last tour in the US I was booking each Air BnB just one day in advance, so I didn't really even know where I wanted to go. Absolutely loved it. Did 5-6 states in a week, mainly twisty roads, amazing stuff.

Each night I would go to the local pub, chat with the locals, look up interesting roads, find a small town at the end, book accommodation, eat/drink/chat, and then off to the next town the next day. I've never felt so free.

I know you off-road with others so I'm guessing this aversion is only on-road?

I'm much like you...more lone wolf. I especially like hitting dirt roads with my SM bike on street rubber...so not many people would be likely to follow me anyways!!   :rofl: :rofl2:  Though I have enjoyed riding with certain friends and have done a few organized rides (charity) and of course the giant sportbike rally that used to be held in Ontario.

But some people dig riding on road with like minded folks. 

Offline Triple Bob

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #2117 on: March 11, 2021, 07:26:17 pm »

I know you off-road with others so I'm guessing this aversion is only on-road?

I'm much like you...more lone wolf. I especially like hitting dirt roads with my SM bike on street rubber...so not many people would be likely to follow me anyways!!   :rofl: :rofl2:  Though I have enjoyed riding with certain friends and have done a few organized rides (charity) and of course the giant sportbike rally that used to be held in Ontario.

But some people dig riding on road with like minded folks.

Off-roading is different, it's safer with someone, as you're probably testing your skills/limits a bit more. Also you're generally 'fenced in' somewhere so it's not like you can just go wherever (100's of km) anyway.

Offline rrocket

• View Profile
« Reply #2118 on: March 11, 2021, 07:28:21 pm »

Oh, I forgot about the toy run,

A couple of charity runs I've been on had some fun activities in parking lots afterwards.  I actually won the slow ride contest once.  Ride as slow as you can without putting your feet down..last guy standing that's traveled the least distance wins!!

The most amusing one was the "weenie bite".  They had a trellis type of thing set up with a hot dog LOADED with mustard on a string hanging.  You had to drive slowly underneath and your passenger would stand on the pegs and take as big a bite from the weenie as possible.  Was pretty damn hysterical to watch!   :rofl: :rofl2:
« Last Edit: March 11, 2021, 07:31:26 pm by rrocket »

Offline rrocket

• View Profile
« Reply #2119 on: March 11, 2021, 07:29:38 pm »
Also you're generally 'fenced in' somewhere so it's not like you can just go wherever (100's of km) anyway.

You'd not say that if you drove MI trails!!   :rofl: :rofl2:

I agree..off-road is probably safer with a buddy.  But there too I was generally alone for my "usual" rides.  I only really got together for planned off road rides.