Author Topic: What Motorcycle Have You Been Obsessing About Today?  (Read 535014 times)

Offline BWII

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +188/-376
    • View Profile
Re: What Motorcycle Have You Been Obsessing About Today?
« Reply #1780 on: December 07, 2020, 11:24:44 am »
Dammit...Headingley Sport had (has?) a VTX1800 that look(ed/s) real nice...was posted on Friday I think...and now it's gone... Was a 2005 for $5000 (which seems crazy to me for a 15 yr old bike) but only 21,000 km on it...was a C I think...quick little 700+ lb  :o 1.8l V-Twin...looked like this but black.

Sigh...winsomelosesome... :'(

Offline dirtyjeffer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +296/-1312
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2021 Toyota Venza Limited, 2016 Kia Sorento EX AWD
« Reply #1781 on: December 07, 2020, 03:07:48 pm »
Triumph Trident 660 reviews are starting to trickle out now.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vc0uRt08kcI

spoiler alert, it's awesome.
When you've lost the argument, admit defeat and hit the smite button.

Offline Jaeger

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +707/-12388
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2015 Hyundai Genesis 3.8 AWD, 2016 Honda Fit EX-L Navi, 2019 Genesis G80 3.3t Sport, 2021 Honda CB650R, 2023 Honda Monkey
« Reply #1782 on: December 07, 2020, 08:16:34 pm »

Current front runner for me.
Wokeism is nothing more than the recognition and opposition of bigotry in all its forms.  Bigots are predictably triggered.

Offline dirtyjeffer

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #1783 on: December 07, 2020, 08:40:11 pm »

Current front runner for me.
yea, if i were in the market, it would likely be tops on my list to check out (i'm sure i'd be happy with it too)...well priced, looks good, great features and awesome powertrain...i always liked the street triple, but this seems like a more daily version of that...a little less sport and a bit more comfort and smoother power delivery...great for what i'd use it for.

Offline dirtyjeffer

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #1784 on: December 07, 2020, 09:35:21 pm »
another review...that sweet triple sound:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4K1SIIwsFSY

Offline rrocket

• Carma: +1254/-7210
    • View Profile
« Reply #1785 on: December 07, 2020, 09:38:31 pm »

I think GiantDwarf had a Street Triple at some point, didn't he?

And Moto2 (MotoGP underclass) went to Triumph Triples last year and fully uncorked sounded ungodly!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dVE7xOLTpEw
« Last Edit: December 07, 2020, 09:42:29 pm by rrocket »
How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

Offline BWII

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #1786 on: December 07, 2020, 11:47:50 pm »
Well...my son calls me this afternoon, "Bought a bike!"
Ordered a brand new 2020 CBR650R - coming from ON, dealer was all too happy to get rid of it.  Dealer in Steinbach was all too happy to help him.  Every other dealer he tried local made an attempt and every dealer they tried said "No...too much hassle".  Bill's girl found him a bike in 30 minutes, and it should be on its way before Christmas.

It's like Roush exhaust all over again...although his excitement is slightly more contained than it was for that... ;D  Merry Christmas to me, he says.  Wants to park it in the dining room.   :rofl2:
No.  >:( ;D

Offline dirtyjeffer

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #1787 on: December 08, 2020, 12:16:03 am »
Well...my son calls me this afternoon, "Bought a bike!"
Ordered a brand new 2020 CBR650R - coming from ON, dealer was all too happy to get rid of it.  Dealer in Steinbach was all too happy to help him.  Every other dealer he tried local made an attempt and every dealer they tried said "No...too much hassle".  Bill's girl found him a bike in 30 minutes, and it should be on its way before Christmas.

It's like Roush exhaust all over again...although his excitement is slightly more contained than it was for that... ;D  Merry Christmas to me, he says.  Wants to park it in the dining room.   :rofl2:
No.  >:( ;D
congrats...i'm sure bike shops prefer to sell bikes they own, but i would imagine for a bike shop in Canada, you take every sale you can get (especially during these times).

Offline rrocket

• View Profile
« Reply #1788 on: December 08, 2020, 01:09:21 am »
Cool!

Offline BWII

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #1789 on: December 08, 2020, 08:03:53 am »
His aunt has already been giving him tips on upgrades etc.  Def want heated grips...what kind of tank/seat bag to get (she has a good one he says)...if this shi# ever clears up I'm sure he'll want to head to Calgary and go for a ride with them in the mountains.  She has a Ninja 650 and a Bonne of some sort and her hubby has a ZX10 or whatever makes 200 hp from Kawasaki.  Too bad summer's still a ways off.  ;D

Offline Jaeger

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2015 Hyundai Genesis 3.8 AWD, 2016 Honda Fit EX-L Navi, 2019 Genesis G80 3.3t Sport, 2021 Honda CB650R, 2023 Honda Monkey
« Reply #1790 on: December 08, 2020, 09:16:53 am »

I've watched half a dozen reviews now from that ride in Tenerife - they are all pretty much gushing - a few even apologizing for sounding like fanboys.  Is that at all normal for a new bike release?  It sure isn't with cars - but the review culture may be different with bikes - I dunno.

Offline Triple Bob

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +308/-574
  • Profesional Dash Stroker
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Tundra, GTI, Triumph Tiger, KTM, C63 AMG, FZ-09, Triumph Speed Triple, VW Golf Wagon TDI, BMW 535i, Honda CRF250L, Hyundai Genesis Coupe, Mitsubishi Outlander, Lotus Exige, Subaru Impreza, Peugeot 106, BMW Z4, Toyota MR2 MKIII, Ford Sierra Sapphire
« Reply #1791 on: December 08, 2020, 09:57:42 am »

I've watched half a dozen reviews now from that ride in Tenerife - they are all pretty much gushing - a few even apologizing for sounding like fanboys.  Is that at all normal for a new bike release?  It sure isn't with cars - but the review culture may be different with bikes - I dunno.

It's just a really good, easy to ride bike.

Most modern bikes are really good these days, you just buy the one you like to look at.

Choosing a car based on reliability is like choosing a wife based solely because she is punctual. There is more to it than that...

Offline DriverJeff

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +181/-628
    • View Profile
    • Echo Bay Media
  • Cars: Whatever I'm assigned for the week + '13 Lexus GX460, '86 Toyota MR2, '18 Kawasaki Z900RS SE, 2021 Jeep Wrangler (GF's)
« Reply #1792 on: December 08, 2020, 11:04:37 am »

Most modern bikes are really good these days, you just buy the one you like to look at.

TripleBob's right, I suspect it's just because it really, truly is that great a bike.

As Rrocket mentioned earlier, I had a Street Triple a few years ago and it was definitely, by far the best bike I've had.  I don't often regret selling my toys and moving on to others, but that one I kinda do.  I hadn't even replaced the exhaust on it, but my god, the intake howl when you get into the middle and upper revs was intoxicating.  And there have been very, very few bikes I've ridden that handled like that thing.  It made even a mediocre rider like me look good, it was so easy and willing to go fast into corners.  If my Street Triple had looked as good as the new Triumph, I might not have gotten rid of it.  ;) 
The past:00 BMW M Rdstr, 19 Jetta, 15 Ducati Scrambler, 09 Triumph Bonneville, 98 Boxster, 17 Kawi Z900, 05 LS 430, 99 LS 400, 17 Subaru STI, 14 Triumph STR, 15 WRX, 09 Ducati Monster 1100,  08 335i, 06 Suzuki SV650S, 06 330i, 06 MX-5, 04 Audi A4, 03 Suzuki SV650S, 98 328i, 93 Civic Si, 85 Corolla

Offline Jaeger

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #1793 on: December 08, 2020, 12:50:47 pm »

TripleBob's right, I suspect it's just because it really, truly is that great a bike.

As Rrocket mentioned earlier, I had a Street Triple a few years ago and it was definitely, by far the best bike I've had.  I don't often regret selling my toys and moving on to others, but that one I kinda do.  I hadn't even replaced the exhaust on it, but my god, the intake howl when you get into the middle and upper revs was intoxicating.  And there have been very, very few bikes I've ridden that handled like that thing.  It made even a mediocre rider like me look good, it was so easy and willing to go fast into corners.  If my Street Triple had looked as good as the new Triumph, I might not have gotten rid of it.  ;)

Cheers gents. I do love the looks of it.  And the reviews do seem unanimous in describing it as easy to ride, but not boring to ride.  I expect that I'll find no aspect of riding a motorcycle boring, but it's good to know that even seasoned riders found this one fun, if not Street Triple levels of fun.  ;D  The whole balanced / forgiving / approachable aspect is definitely comforting to me conceptually as a noob.

Offline rrocket

• View Profile
« Reply #1794 on: December 08, 2020, 03:32:30 pm »

Sometimes.

No shock that new bikes are fun.

It's usually when they start throwing around the word "special" that you know something is really different IMO.

Also, there seems to be more excitement when the smaller brands (Triumph, KTM, Ducati, Aprilia, etc) release/update their models
« Last Edit: December 08, 2020, 04:44:22 pm by rrocket »

Offline dirtyjeffer

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #1795 on: December 08, 2020, 04:17:52 pm »

Cheers gents. I do love the looks of it.  And the reviews do seem unanimous in describing it as easy to ride, but not boring to ride.  I expect that I'll find no aspect of riding a motorcycle boring, but it's good to know that even seasoned riders found this one fun, if not Street Triple levels of fun.  ;D  The whole balanced / forgiving / approachable aspect is definitely comforting to me conceptually as a noob.
most of the bike reviewers are pretty good with what they do...as well, i don't think any bikes are crap nowadays, so it's not like you're going to see a bike version of a Mitsubishi Mirage...all the bikes in this class are very good bikes...i think why this is getting such strong reviews is for a few reasons...one, it's an all new model (it's not the latest version of a bike that's been around for a while) so new stuff is always more exiting than the refreshed version of what you've already ridden a few times...secondly, this bike just seems to do lots of things well, so that's always nice to see (again, the benefit of an all new bike)...third, the engine is a gem, and that really helps...forth, even though it doesn't have high spec brakes and suspension, they seem to have done a good job balancing it with the bike itself (so you aren't overpaying for higher end suspension/brake components if they don't offer much "extra")...that is one part the reviewers were really impressed with...it's not that it has "crap" suspension/brake bits, they are good, just not "top shelf", but it's fine for this bike as they match the "middleweight" just fine...it's like putting Brembos on a scooter...i mean, you can, but you're not likely to get much "extra" from it because it doesn't need them...a street triple has more power and higher top speeds, so you'll likely get some benefit from those higher spec components there...fifthly (?), it's comfortable...that's always a bonus when buying a new bike, especially if you're going to be sitting on it for a few hours at a time...sport bikes are fun to ride, but crouched over your tank for two hours likely isn't that comfortable...lastly, it looks good and seems to be well put together (doesn't look like a cheap, poorly made bike)...looks are subjective, but most people think it looks really good (doesn't have an ugly tail on it either, which helps), and people seem to say the quality of the parts look and feel good too.

Offline Jaeger

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #1796 on: December 08, 2020, 04:40:26 pm »
 ^^^ :cheers:  Really looking forward to checking it out in person.

Offline rrocket

• View Profile
« Reply #1797 on: December 08, 2020, 05:13:03 pm »

There used to be like 3 dealers for all of Ontario.

Any near you?

Offline Triple Bob

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +308/-574
  • Profesional Dash Stroker
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Tundra, GTI, Triumph Tiger, KTM, C63 AMG, FZ-09, Triumph Speed Triple, VW Golf Wagon TDI, BMW 535i, Honda CRF250L, Hyundai Genesis Coupe, Mitsubishi Outlander, Lotus Exige, Subaru Impreza, Peugeot 106, BMW Z4, Toyota MR2 MKIII, Ford Sierra Sapphire
« Reply #1798 on: December 08, 2020, 05:53:58 pm »

Any near you?

Sturgess in Hamilton or GP Bikes in Whitby. I had good service from GP but both are good.

Offline rrocket

• View Profile
« Reply #1799 on: December 08, 2020, 06:06:23 pm »

Any near you?

Sturgess in Hamilton or GP Bikes in Whitby. I had good service from GP but both are good.

Is there only 2 now??  I guess I could be less lazy and look at the Triumph website eh??   :rofl: :rofl2: