Author Topic: What Motorcycle Have You Been Obsessing About Today?  (Read 534948 times)

Offline dirtyjeffer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +296/-1312
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2021 Toyota Venza Limited, 2016 Kia Sorento EX AWD
Re: What Motorcycle Have You Been Obsessing About Today?
« Reply #1740 on: October 27, 2020, 10:23:34 am »
I do wheelies when nobody is watching.  I'm not very good at them, but I do want to be riding a bike that is capable of lofting the front wheel if necessary. (which is probably most bikes, except for Harleys)
most bikes can lift the front wheel, you just need to know how to do it (lots of scooters can do it too)...but for a road bike, i can't see how lifting the wheel would ever be "necessary"...it's why many new bikes have advanced settings to prevent the front wheel from lifting.
When you've lost the argument, admit defeat and hit the smite button.

Offline blur911

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +243/-779
  • Nasty Weasel
    • View Profile
  • Cars: and bikes by age:BMW, Porsche, Subaru, Suzuki, Suzuki, Mazda, Jaguar, Kawasaki, Porsche, GMC, Suzuki
« Reply #1741 on: October 27, 2020, 10:44:54 am »
I do wheelies when nobody is watching.  I'm not very good at them, but I do want to be riding a bike that is capable of lofting the front wheel if necessary. (which is probably most bikes, except for Harleys)
most bikes can lift the front wheel, you just need to know how to do it (lots of scooters can do it too)...but for a road bike, i can't see how lifting the wheel would ever be "necessary"...it's why many new bikes have advanced settings to prevent the front wheel from lifting.

I mostly ride dirt bikes/dual-sports, lofting the front wheel is necessary at times. 
I thought you used to ride?   Don't you know the joy of a well executed wheelie?

I would put this in the category of "Why do you need a car that goes over 100kph, that's the speed limit?", or, "why does your Corvette have 450hp, you don't need that much power?"   
We would all be riding 50cc scooters and driving econoboxes
Mr Pickypants

Offline Gurgie

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +308/-518
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2019 Honda Passport Touring
« Reply #1742 on: October 27, 2020, 11:28:56 am »
meh...nothing looks funnier than seeing some idiot showing off and wrecking his bike, so if that's your thing, have at it.

i guess these people with bikes that lift the front wheel had lots of fun:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KB_8292Z5JE

Painful to watch some of those bike crashes... ouch!!!

And then a bunch of crappy drivers in Subaru's at the end  :rofl:
You live everyday. You only die once....

Offline dirtyjeffer

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #1743 on: October 27, 2020, 01:44:00 pm »

I mostly ride dirt bikes/dual-sports, lofting the front wheel is necessary at times.
off road, sure...it's why i said a road bike.

I thought you used to ride?   Don't you know the joy of a well executed wheelie?
accidentally lifted the front wheel once when i was passing a slower car...let off the throttle immediately to get the wheel down and continued with less throttle to accelerate without lifting the front wheel...there's no real purpose to a lifting a front wheel on the road other than showing off/being a hooligan...it's already too easy to kill yourself out there, no need to increase that risk substantially...there's a reason they don't teach "wheelies" in your training course.

I would put this in the category of "Why do you need a car that goes over 100kph, that's the speed limit?", or, "why does your Corvette have 450hp, you don't need that much power?"   
We would all be riding 50cc scooters and driving econoboxes
all valid arguments if you want to step it up a few levels...i get it...however, you are much safer in a car than on a bike, so the chances of a major injury or death on a bike is much higher...if you want to temp fate, have at it.

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1424/-2121
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2020 Toyota Tundra, 2021 Lexus GX460, 2018 Kawasaki Versys X300
« Reply #1744 on: October 27, 2020, 01:57:50 pm »
People pulling wheelies on busy highways is stupid and dangerous. You want to go do it in parking lot or empty road, give 'er.

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk

Lighten up Francis.....

Offline dirtyjeffer

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #1745 on: October 27, 2020, 02:10:08 pm »
People pulling wheelies on busy highways is stupid and dangerous. You want to go do it in parking lot or empty road, give 'er.
far less dangerous, but you can still hurt yourself and really mess up your bike.

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #1746 on: October 27, 2020, 02:24:28 pm »
far less dangerous, but you can still hurt yourself and really mess up your bike.
Eh, theres mouth breathers that drive on all seasons year round on $60k BMW with their kids in them.....a $3000 SV650 isn't that big of a deal to bin in comparison.

Offline blur911

• Car Crazy
  • Nasty Weasel
    • View Profile
  • Cars: and bikes by age:BMW, Porsche, Subaru, Suzuki, Suzuki, Mazda, Jaguar, Kawasaki, Porsche, GMC, Suzuki
« Reply #1747 on: October 27, 2020, 02:45:26 pm »

You have never really rode a bike, have you?   I mean, you've had bikes, but you don't seem to get "it", so I'm confused ???

Perhaps growing up riding dirt bikes gave me a different perspective, to me bikes are toys and meant to be used as such. 

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #1748 on: October 27, 2020, 03:30:26 pm »

You have never really rode a bike, have you?   I mean, you've had bikes, but you don't seem to get "it", so I'm confused ???

Perhaps growing up riding dirt bikes gave me a different perspective, to me bikes are toys and meant to be used as such.
Yeah, I don't get his position at all, bikes are fun toys meant to have fun on

Offline rrocket

• Carma: +1254/-7210
    • View Profile
« Reply #1749 on: October 27, 2020, 03:32:39 pm »

Yeah, I don't get his position at all, bikes are fun toys meant to have fun on

Yes, I do wheelies.

No, I don't do Nak-Nak wheelies on crowded streets or whilst driving downtown.

Wheelies are fun and yes, they can be done prudently while maintaining a level of safety.
How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

Offline dirtyjeffer

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #1750 on: October 27, 2020, 03:45:38 pm »

oh i get it...i've had numerous bikes over the years (7?), although my last one was about 6 years ago and none were off road ones...a scooter to start, a couple of cruisers and the rest were sport bikes...my last sport bike was about 20 years ago...almost killed myself on it...i was also in an accident on my first sport bike when a driver backed out of his driveway at the last second (said he didn't see me)...thankfully, i wasn't speeding but still smashed into the side of his car head first...missed the B pillar by 2 inches (had i hit it, i would have been dead)...it's already dangerous enough out there (especially now with so much distraction).

Offline blur911

• Car Crazy
  • Nasty Weasel
    • View Profile
« Reply #1751 on: October 27, 2020, 04:27:46 pm »

oh i get it...i've had numerous bikes over the years (7?), although my last one was about 6 years ago and none were off road ones...a scooter to start, a couple of cruisers and the rest were sport bikes...my last sport bike was about 20 years ago...almost killed myself on it...i was also in an accident on my first sport bike when a driver backed out of his driveway at the last second (said he didn't see me)...thankfully, i wasn't speeding but still smashed into the side of his car head first...missed the B pillar by 2 inches (had i hit it, i would have been dead)...it's already dangerous enough out there (especially now with so much distraction).

That's how I feel riding on streets with cars now, I'm paranoid and not having any fun.
I try to stick to off-road and back roads with little traffic.   If I want to loft a wheel, nobody sees it but me.  Whole different feeling without worrying about other drivers so much. (still have to watch out for moose)

Offline rrocket

• Carma: +1254/-7210
    • View Profile
« Reply #1752 on: October 27, 2020, 04:37:23 pm »

I try to stick to off-road and back roads with little traffic.   If I want to loft a wheel, nobody sees it but me. 

Generally what I do when on a SM.

Offline dirtyjeffer

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #1753 on: October 30, 2020, 09:53:06 am »
wow...the new Triumph Trident looks awesome (i'm guessing will be about $10k in Canada, assuming we get it).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G44wY1UI49M

EDIT:  it's on the Triumph Canada website...$8995.  :o

https://www.triumph-motorcycles.ca/motorcycles/roadsters/trident
« Last Edit: November 01, 2020, 10:56:53 am by dirtyjeffer »

Offline Guy

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +480/-1198
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2021 Mustang Mach-E Premium, 2019 Volvo XC40 Momentum
« Reply #1754 on: October 30, 2020, 10:26:02 am »
Wow! Nice!

Offline Gurgie

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +308/-518
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2019 Honda Passport Touring

Offline Triple Bob

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +308/-574
  • Profesional Dash Stroker
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Tundra, GTI, Triumph Tiger, KTM, C63 AMG, FZ-09, Triumph Speed Triple, VW Golf Wagon TDI, BMW 535i, Honda CRF250L, Hyundai Genesis Coupe, Mitsubishi Outlander, Lotus Exige, Subaru Impreza, Peugeot 106, BMW Z4, Toyota MR2 MKIII, Ford Sierra Sapphire
« Reply #1756 on: October 30, 2020, 10:59:14 am »
Looks good.

Choosing a car based on reliability is like choosing a wife based solely because she is punctual. There is more to it than that...

Offline dirtyjeffer

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #1757 on: October 30, 2020, 11:03:53 am »
Looks good.
yea...i like the Indian FTR1200, but this is actually better suited to what i would actually buy...it's smaller, lighter and less expensive (to buy and insure) and better suited to how i'd use it (urban commuter).

it looks like it can get the front wheel up too, if that's your thing.  ;)

Offline Triple Bob

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +308/-574
  • Profesional Dash Stroker
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Tundra, GTI, Triumph Tiger, KTM, C63 AMG, FZ-09, Triumph Speed Triple, VW Golf Wagon TDI, BMW 535i, Honda CRF250L, Hyundai Genesis Coupe, Mitsubishi Outlander, Lotus Exige, Subaru Impreza, Peugeot 106, BMW Z4, Toyota MR2 MKIII, Ford Sierra Sapphire
« Reply #1758 on: October 30, 2020, 11:06:24 am »
Looks good.
yea...i like the Indian FTR1200, but this is actually better suited to what i would actually buy...it's smaller, lighter and less expensive (to buy and insure) and better suited to how i'd use it (urban commuter).

It's a significantly different bike though, about half a FTR.  :rofl2:

It will be a great bike, but is pricey for the size IMHO.

Offline dirtyjeffer

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #1759 on: October 30, 2020, 12:28:07 pm »
Looks good.

It's a significantly different bike though, about half a FTR.  :rofl2:

It will be a great bike, but is pricey for the size IMHO.
i know the FTR is much more bike, but it's way more than i'd ever need or use anyway (i just think it looks cool)...remember, i like scooters, so a Trident would be more than enough for me anyway.