Author Topic: What Motorcycle Have You Been Obsessing About Today?  (Read 534900 times)

Offline rrocket

• Carma: +1254/-7210
    • View Profile
Re: What Motorcycle Have You Been Obsessing About Today?
« Reply #1680 on: June 12, 2020, 02:31:04 am »
https://youtu.be/s6kEov50GPY

Tabernacle... he's riding the right way

The skill level of top shelf off road riders is amazing (well all pro riders..on or off).  I had the fortune of being on track with some of these guys (both on an off).  As a young man with more courage than brains, I was as fast as them....for precisely ONE lap.  I lit off a firecracker of a lap....but these guys could do it for 20 laps...or seemingly for however long they wanted.  Every lap within a tenth of the last.  That was the difference between "kinda fast" and "pro".

My brother's boss continues to race off-road....he races in the Baja 1000 and similar races.  Finished 2nd in class the one year.  Wickedly, wickedly fast.  I could have a factory works race machine and he could be on a moped (or his KTM 790R) and he'd kick my ass 10 ways till Tuesday...without breaking a sweat I'm sure.

They just make it look so effortless!

Sweet.  Since i was a kid i loved the Dakar races and anything off road.  I was thinking about getting one but i know i would get hurt or smash things.
I think i was pretty good at riding. Never did track(well couple time) but i was pretty good at trail riding.
You'd probably be just fine. Wear the gear..use your head.

Bob is a great example...l think just recently starting his off road riding...but riding within his ability (not over his head) and learning as he goes...and thoroughly enjoying himself in the process!

It's never too late.
« Last Edit: June 12, 2020, 04:58:52 am by rrocket »
How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

Offline Triple Bob

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +308/-574
  • Profesional Dash Stroker
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Tundra, GTI, Triumph Tiger, KTM, C63 AMG, FZ-09, Triumph Speed Triple, VW Golf Wagon TDI, BMW 535i, Honda CRF250L, Hyundai Genesis Coupe, Mitsubishi Outlander, Lotus Exige, Subaru Impreza, Peugeot 106, BMW Z4, Toyota MR2 MKIII, Ford Sierra Sapphire
« Reply #1681 on: June 12, 2020, 10:27:14 am »
https://youtu.be/s6kEov50GPY

Tabernacle... he's riding the right way

The skill level of top shelf off road riders is amazing (well all pro riders..on or off).  I had the fortune of being on track with some of these guys (both on an off).  As a young man with more courage than brains, I was as fast as them....for precisely ONE lap.  I lit off a firecracker of a lap....but these guys could do it for 20 laps...or seemingly for however long they wanted.  Every lap within a tenth of the last.  That was the difference between "kinda fast" and "pro".

My brother's boss continues to race off-road....he races in the Baja 1000 and similar races.  Finished 2nd in class the one year.  Wickedly, wickedly fast.  I could have a factory works race machine and he could be on a moped (or his KTM 790R) and he'd kick my ass 10 ways till Tuesday...without breaking a sweat I'm sure.

They just make it look so effortless!

Sweet.  Since i was a kid i loved the Dakar races and anything off road.  I was thinking about getting one but i know i would get hurt or smash things.
I think i was pretty good at riding. Never did track(well couple time) but i was pretty good at trail riding.
You'd probably be just fine. Wear the gear..use your head.

Bob is a great example...l think just recently starting his off road riding...but riding within his ability (not over his head) and learning as he goes...and thoroughly enjoying himself in the process!

It's never too late.

Yeah I started in 2017 when I bought the CRF250L, so have 3yrs of off road experience. The best thing about it is challenging yourself to do more difficult things is really hard. You crash, fall over, drop the bike, again and again. But every time you go out, your skills get incrementally better, and you really feel it, it's very rewarding.

Now after 3 years I have a lighter bike with more power, it's like I've been training with weights on, things just got easier. I can drift the back end a bit, I can throw the bike around a bit more, it's easier to pick up when I drop it, and I have a bit more confidence in what I'm doing. You don't get that experience riding on the road. It also gives you the ability to learn stuff and test yourself away from cars, so IMHO it's safer than regular road riding.

I tried track days and I tried off-road, I found off-road to be more fun for me and I love it. I've always loved mountain biking so this is just the powered version, which is great as the forest is my church.

Choosing a car based on reliability is like choosing a wife based solely because she is punctual. There is more to it than that...

Offline ktm525

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +117/-442
  • Just walk away!
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Land Rover LR4, Honda Ridgeline, Husqvarna FE501
« Reply #1682 on: June 12, 2020, 12:18:33 pm »
Just ride lots. Try to ride with riders better than you and absorb everything they tell you and what they do. I regularly get to ride with some guys who have placed very high at ISDE and Red Bull events and it is very humbling but also very educational. Also if the opportunity presents itself try to get on different bikes. I rode a bored 125 (about a 150) for a day of single track, it was work and I had to dust off some skills that were getting a little rusty. It was a hoot though and has me on the hunt for a very lightweight 200 smoker.

Also learn to ride slow. Barely moving and tacking obstacles with no dabbling! That's all I got.  ;)

Offline rrocket

• View Profile
« Reply #1683 on: June 12, 2020, 09:42:12 pm »

Just ride lots.

Good advice, really. But what I've found to be a challenge for those just riding lots of not being able to pick up the really important nuances.

You'd think squeezing the tank with your knees would be common knowledge, but unless you point this out...someone learning on their own wouldn't likely figure it out. I read a review on a motorcycle website the other day. Guy was testing a dual sport. Says despite his many years of riding, he's a crasher off road. I look at the pictures...it appears his knees are 6 inches off the tank and his body position janky. No doubt a contributing factor to his crashing IMO.

And off road these body position nuances are often the difference between crashing or not.

Correct body position on the bike off road is a huge, huge thing...and very difficult to learn without guidance.

Fortunately there are YouTube videos these days that can be helpful.

Offline ktm525

• Car Crazy
  • Just walk away!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1684 on: June 13, 2020, 01:12:09 pm »
One other thing to master for off road is having fingers (I use two) on the brake and clutch lever at all times. You never know when you need a little brake or you need to clutch it either to save a stall, finesse your way out of something or loft the front end. Oh and no death grips on the bars  ;D

Offline Arthur Dent

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +186/-80
  • 42?
    • View Profile

Offline PJungnitsch

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +170/-337
    • View Profile
    • Travel in Africa
  • Cars: Subaru Crosstrek, Lexus RX350, Evolve Carbon, Biktrix Juggernaut, Yamaha TW200
« Reply #1686 on: June 13, 2020, 02:43:14 pm »
That would suit you, I'd say. A classic that will undoubtedly need enough work going ahead to keep you interested

Nice on those old ones there isn't so much tupperware

Offline blur911

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +243/-779
  • Nasty Weasel
    • View Profile
  • Cars: and bikes by age:BMW, Porsche, Subaru, Suzuki, Suzuki, Mazda, Jaguar, Kawasaki, Porsche, GMC, Suzuki
« Reply #1687 on: June 13, 2020, 02:51:25 pm »
One other thing to master for off road is having fingers (I use two) on the brake and clutch lever at all times. You never know when you need a little brake or you need to clutch it either to save a stall, finesse your way out of something or loft the front end. Oh and no death grips on the bars  ;D

I'm bad for the "death grip" the faster I go.    Trying to notice when I'm doing it. :P
I gotta get out and ride...
Mr Pickypants

Offline ktm525

• Car Crazy
  • Just walk away!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1688 on: June 13, 2020, 02:55:47 pm »
That GW front tire looks older than I am.

Offline rrocket

• View Profile
« Reply #1689 on: June 13, 2020, 05:43:16 pm »

Oh and no death grips on the bars  ;D

Arm pump sucks! LOL

Offline Triple Bob

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +308/-574
  • Profesional Dash Stroker
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Tundra, GTI, Triumph Tiger, KTM, C63 AMG, FZ-09, Triumph Speed Triple, VW Golf Wagon TDI, BMW 535i, Honda CRF250L, Hyundai Genesis Coupe, Mitsubishi Outlander, Lotus Exige, Subaru Impreza, Peugeot 106, BMW Z4, Toyota MR2 MKIII, Ford Sierra Sapphire

Offline BWII

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +188/-376
    • View Profile
« Reply #1691 on: June 14, 2020, 08:43:32 pm »

Exact opposite of what they teach in the license course. They have to un-train dirt bikers to keep their feet off the ground and their fingers off the clutch and brakes.  Pass the course, ride how you want.  :P

Offline HeliDriver

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +176/-235
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2023 Crosstrek Sport 6MT; 2011 Yukon XL 2500
« Reply #1692 on: June 14, 2020, 08:54:23 pm »
Two fingers on the levers was a bad habit I carried over from dirt biking into mountain biking. Okay, two fingers isn't necessarily bad for dirt biking, but it's one finger more than you need on a mountain bike. Took me a while to get out of the two-finger habit, but the difference in control between two fingers on the bars and three is significant.

I've been thinking I should try one finger for dirt biking too. Hydraulic clutch on the KTMs is pretty light, so might be doable. Not sure about the front brake - maybe if I move the levers inboard for more leverage as well. And might have to start on some index finger strength and endurance training.  :)
« Last Edit: June 14, 2020, 09:48:55 pm by HeliDriver »

Offline rrocket

• View Profile
« Reply #1693 on: June 14, 2020, 08:56:13 pm »

Exact opposite of what they teach in the license course. They have to un-train dirt bikers to keep their feet off the ground and their fingers off the clutch and brakes.  Pass the course, ride how you want.  [emoji14]
When I helped teach the motorcycle license road course the one year, we taught 2 fingers on the brake. Because at X KM/h the extra tenth or two it takes to get your fingers on the brake is X feet.

That was 20 years ago and it's still sound advice..though I have no idea if they still teach it they way now...which was also taught when I was getting my roadracing license back in the day.

It's still sound advice:  https://www.cycleworld.com/2015/06/02/ienatsch-tuesday-fingers-up-motorcycle-riding-tips-to-navigate-intersections/
« Last Edit: June 14, 2020, 09:01:43 pm by rrocket »

Offline ktm525

• Car Crazy
  • Just walk away!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1694 on: June 15, 2020, 02:15:45 am »

Exact opposite of what they teach in the license course. They have to un-train dirt bikers to keep their feet off the ground and their fingers off the clutch and brakes.  Pass the course, ride how you want.  :P

What dirt biker rides with their feet on the ground? I guess an introductory course for the road would be best to teach fingers off the levers but in reality the movement to grab these takes away precious distance by reaction time. Also feathering the rear brake (light drag)  can help stabilize a bike that has gotten unsettled by a wobble or terrain. Again probably not stuff they want to tackle in a licence course. also you need your foot hovering over the rear brake in case your power on wheelie gets a little far past the balance point and you need to bring the front down in a hurry. ;)

Offline Gurgie

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +308/-518
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2019 Honda Passport Touring
« Reply #1695 on: June 15, 2020, 09:29:52 am »
When I did the motorcycle course some 25yrs ago, I was using 2 fingers on the brake & clutch and got :censor: on for that by the instructors. First thing he said was "you must've been a dirt rider"  :rofl2:
You live everyday. You only die once....

Offline Arthur Dent

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +186/-80
  • 42?
    • View Profile
« Reply #1696 on: June 15, 2020, 10:14:25 am »

Agreed.

Do this to it!

https://caferacergarage.eu/top-5-honda-gl1000-goldwing-builds/

https://caferacergarage.eu/top-5-honda-gl1100-goldwing-builds-part-2/

I've seen a Goldwing cafe racer in the metal, and it looked amazing.

There is a Goldwing cafe for sale in town. Not sure I love the colour scheme but neat otherwise.

Offline BWII

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +188/-376
    • View Profile
« Reply #1697 on: June 15, 2020, 10:16:34 am »

What dirt biker rides with their feet on the ground?

More of a don't put your feet down in the corners thing then.  They want your feet off the ground and on the pegs within 6" of travel...my kid just got his learners license...when I listened I learned some stuff  ;D 

When I got mine, I took a written test - actually I bought the bike first and rode it home having never ridden a street bike before - they don't tell you turn left to turn right at the dealer (why would they - they have no idea I've never ridden before) and there wasn't you tube back then...I tell ya that's freaky the first time you take a highway curve at speed and FACK!! WTF!!! 

Rode a week or two, and went for my full license after that.  Passed no marks against me.  I don't know exactly what they teach now either (not a good listener) - might be helpful in a lot of cases even as a refresher - but not sure right for left is one thing they can do in a parking lot.  But don't put your foot down unless you're coming to a stop! That they were strict on.  Or the brakes/clutch thing.  They're more worried you'll break an ankle I guess and that you can you move around slowly and keep your balance.  Must be a lot of tipping accidents.

Offline ktm525

• Car Crazy
  • Just walk away!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1698 on: June 15, 2020, 12:20:26 pm »

What dirt biker rides with their feet on the ground?

More of a don't put your feet down in the corners thing then.  They want your feet off the ground and on the pegs within 6" of travel...my kid just got his learners license...when I listened I learned some stuff  ;D 

When I got mine, I took a written test - actually I bought the bike first and rode it home having never ridden a street bike before - they don't tell you turn left to turn right at the dealer (why would they - they have no idea I've never ridden before) and there wasn't you tube back then...I tell ya that's freaky the first time you take a highway curve at speed and FACK!! WTF!!! 

Rode a week or two, and went for my full license after that.  Passed no marks against me.  I don't know exactly what they teach now either (not a good listener) - might be helpful in a lot of cases even as a refresher - but not sure right for left is one thing they can do in a parking lot.  But don't put your foot down unless you're coming to a stop! That they were strict on.  Or the brakes/clutch thing.  They're more worried you'll break an ankle I guess and that you can you move around slowly and keep your balance.  Must be a lot of tipping accidents.

If people feel the need to put a foot down while cornering they have no business being on the road on a bike.  I still believe the best way to develop safe riders who can handle conditions that are not the usual parking lot perfect are to throw them on a motorcross track or off road course. Have them ride endless laps and once they can get around the course without drama then they can graduate to the paved parking lot. They don't need to clear triples out on the course lol. Having an istructor give feedback every couple of laps is super helpful.

Offline PJungnitsch

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +170/-337
    • View Profile
    • Travel in Africa
  • Cars: Subaru Crosstrek, Lexus RX350, Evolve Carbon, Biktrix Juggernaut, Yamaha TW200
« Reply #1699 on: June 15, 2020, 12:29:37 pm »
They don't need to clear triples out on the course lol

Oh c'mon:

:)