Author Topic: What Motorcycle Have You Been Obsessing About Today?  (Read 534831 times)

Offline dirtyjeffer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +296/-1312
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2021 Toyota Venza Limited, 2016 Kia Sorento EX AWD
Re: What Motorcycle Have You Been Obsessing About Today?
« Reply #1660 on: June 09, 2020, 12:19:34 pm »
American muscle in the UK. They haven't seen American muscle like that since the P47 with  paddle prop showed up 75 years ago.
the VRod...fun fact, that engine was co-developed with Porsche.

it is back now, kind of...the new FXDR is essentially the closest replacement of that bike from HD.

When you've lost the argument, admit defeat and hit the smite button.

Offline BWII

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +188/-376
    • View Profile
« Reply #1661 on: June 09, 2020, 12:51:35 pm »
1800+ CC and probably still has less HP than the Porsche 1258cc twin that was in the V-Rod.  :P  It's probably a safe assumption then (because Porsche) that a V-Rod would be a decently reliable bike (though my brothers 20 yr old Superglide has never given him any issues, and he's had it since new).  And best of all...it's under $900/yr to insure...compared to say a KTM Duke 390 which is over $1300. 

Offline Gurgie

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +308/-518
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2019 Honda Passport Touring
« Reply #1662 on: June 09, 2020, 02:02:38 pm »
1800+ CC and probably still has less HP than the Porsche 1258cc twin that was in the V-Rod.  :P  It's probably a safe assumption then (because Porsche) that a V-Rod would be a decently reliable bike (though my brothers 20 yr old Superglide has never given him any issues, and he's had it since new).  And best of all...it's under $900/yr to insure...compared to say a KTM Duke 390 which is over $1300.

Got me looking now too... found this one in the GTA

https://www.kijiji.ca/v-street-cruisers-choppers/markham-york-region/2014-harley-davidson-v-rod-nightrod-special/1505079061?undefined

And this one in Ottawa

https://www.kijiji.ca/v-sport-touring/gatineau/new-price-vrod-night-rod-special-10th-year-anniversary/1503928334?undefined
You live everyday. You only die once....

Offline Arthur Dent

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +186/-80
  • 42?
    • View Profile
« Reply #1663 on: June 09, 2020, 02:54:29 pm »

https://www.kijiji.ca/v-street-cruisers-choppers/markham-york-region/2014-harley-davidson-v-rod-nightrod-special/1505079061?undefined

And this one in Ottawa

https://www.kijiji.ca/v-sport-touring/gatineau/new-price-vrod-night-rod-special-10th-year-anniversary/1503928334?undefined

No test pilots and serious injuries only  :rofl2:

Offline Gurgie

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +308/-518
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2019 Honda Passport Touring
« Reply #1664 on: June 09, 2020, 03:05:09 pm »

And this one in Ottawa

I know... might wanna double check your ad before you put it up   :rofl:

Offline dirtyjeffer

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #1665 on: June 09, 2020, 05:20:41 pm »
the V-Rods were powerful (at the time, they're only water cooled bike)...they didn't really sell in huge numbers, so typically aren't as common as the "regular" Harleys...i'm guessing most people who want a Harley want a more traditional one...i think it may have been a marketing decision that didn't pan out as well as they hoped...i think of it like an American V-Max (likely why the bike's name is suspiciously similar)...the V-Max doesn't sell in big numbers either, but is also a very powerful bike (and a V4, not a V2)...i seem to recall V-Rod's being in the $15-18k range (i could be wrong, but i remember them being not too bad price wise), which isn't too bad considering a V-Max is $26k now (i think they were about $23k when the V-Rods were out).
« Last Edit: June 09, 2020, 05:40:43 pm by dirtyjeffer »

Offline dkaz

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +289/-389
  • Flip flop
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 12 Mazda 5 GT 6MT
« Reply #1666 on: June 09, 2020, 05:31:55 pm »
The tenant upstairs has a V-Rod. He had a sport bike before but his friends refused to ride with him because he didn't have a Harley so he got the only Harley Davidson he thought was worth owning.

Offline dirtyjeffer

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #1667 on: June 09, 2020, 05:43:46 pm »
The tenant upstairs has a V-Rod. He had a sport bike before but his friends refused to ride with him because he didn't have a Harley so he got the only Harley Davidson he thought was worth owning.
one of my former colleagues bought one...as his first bike...i told him to be careful and smart about it...i think he bought it for about $7500 and was in great shape...it's kind of a niche bike...people either like it or hate it, and most hated it...not because it was a crappy bike, just that most people who want Harleys want a regular one, and most people who want something sporty typically buy from the Honda/Yamaha/Triumph/Suzuki/etc range...KTMs would likely be more popular here if anyone sold them in town.

Offline Bubba

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +382/-442
  • Vice President, Autos.ca Arizona Operations
    • View Profile
    • My photo site
  • Cars: 2013 Toyota Corolla LE
« Reply #1668 on: June 09, 2020, 05:46:28 pm »

And this one in Ottawa

I know... might wanna double check your ad before you put it up   :rofl:

:rofl2: :rofl2:
My reading of history convinces me that most bad government results from too much government. - Thomas Jefferson

Offline Arthur Dent

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +186/-80
  • 42?
    • View Profile
« Reply #1669 on: June 09, 2020, 05:49:53 pm »

Sounds like he needed a new friend. What a dick.

Offline BWII

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +188/-376
    • View Profile
« Reply #1670 on: June 09, 2020, 05:56:16 pm »
Pretty sure the V-Rod was more than $15-18 new.  Probably closer to V-Max pricing but I don't know. 

I am almost the same way...it sounds good, and goes like hell.  It aint your Harley riders Harley.  Those guys, despite having the slowest bikes on the planet...were/are as bad as Porsche owners.  Fack off.  I think I could ride one now...but back then?  Such arrogant pricks (and these were my friends from high school!) aint no way I ever wanted one of them.  You can suck my V-Max!

But...I digress...there's one in Wpg for sale for a while now (surely I've posted it before) for $12,500 (no budge on price yet) - it's the Muscle which I find slightly more attractive than the Nightrods (sounds like a pubescent problem  :o).  It's a 2012 with 33k km on it.
https://www.kijiji.ca/v-street-cruisers-choppers/winnipeg/2012-harley-davidson-v-rod-muscle/1499200176

And a just recently posted 2015 which is damn near new!! Only 2855 km on it!  For the extra 2500 bucks...if only my pants weren't so tight (apparently my wife doesn't want to be in debt until we're dead...pfft...now...who knows, that could be tomorrow! So WTF! Live! Let me buy a bike!  ;D ;D) I think I'd get the newer one.  And it has FLAMES!! Guaranteed my wife and oldest kid would HATE it! Great! I can ride alone or with my brother. Works for me!
https://www.kijiji.ca/v-street-cruisers-choppers/winnipeg/2015-harley-davidson-v-rod-muscle-with-2-tone-paint/1503935007

And...for the same-ish money...you could have the master of all Muscle Bikes...only thing is I'm still not sold on the looks.  At least not in picture.  The V-Rod just looks better.  And the Max still only has a 3 gallon tank  ::) :banghead:
https://www.kijiji.ca/v-street-cruisers-choppers/winnipeg/2012-yamaha-vmax-1700-low-kms/1504055581

Offline Triple Bob

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +308/-574
  • Profesional Dash Stroker
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Tundra, GTI, Triumph Tiger, KTM, C63 AMG, FZ-09, Triumph Speed Triple, VW Golf Wagon TDI, BMW 535i, Honda CRF250L, Hyundai Genesis Coupe, Mitsubishi Outlander, Lotus Exige, Subaru Impreza, Peugeot 106, BMW Z4, Toyota MR2 MKIII, Ford Sierra Sapphire
« Reply #1671 on: June 09, 2020, 06:23:27 pm »

That just looks like it sucks and blows.

Choosing a car based on reliability is like choosing a wife based solely because she is punctual. There is more to it than that...

Offline rrocket

• Carma: +1254/-7210
    • View Profile
« Reply #1672 on: June 09, 2020, 06:31:55 pm »
^^It does.  Literally only goes straight and nothing else.

Give me a 1290 Duke all day long....sure, it makes about 15HP less.....but it also weighs ~250lbs LESS (no, that's not a typo).
How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

Offline blur911

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +243/-779
  • Nasty Weasel
    • View Profile
  • Cars: and bikes by age:BMW, Porsche, Subaru, Suzuki, Suzuki, Mazda, Jaguar, Kawasaki, Porsche, GMC, Suzuki
« Reply #1673 on: June 09, 2020, 10:03:23 pm »

I tried out two versions of V-rod shortly after they came out, the regular one with forward pegs and controls and the Street Rod, with regular pegs and better ergonomics.   
I actually really liked the Street Rod, the engine was torquey and sounded gread, revved much better than the agricultural engines in regular Harleys.   I could live with one in my garage.

It was a demo day, I've never seem so many people dropping bikes, it really is a different crowd who want Harleys.

Leaving the parking lot 2-up with my wife on back I opened up the Street Rod and left about a 25 foot strip of rubber,  demo guys never said a work because people who saw it suddenly wanted to try the V-rods.  ;D
Mr Pickypants

Offline rrocket

• View Profile
« Reply #1674 on: June 09, 2020, 10:21:25 pm »

I tried out two versions of V-rod shortly after they came out, the regular one with forward pegs and controls and the Street Rod, with regular pegs and better ergonomics.   
I actually really liked the Street Rod, the engine was torquey and sounded gread, revved much better than the agricultural engines in regular Harleys.   I could live with one in my garage.

It was a demo day, I've never seem so many people dropping bikes, it really is a different crowd who want Harleys.

Leaving the parking lot 2-up with my wife on back I opened up the Street Rod and left about a 25 foot strip of rubber,  demo guys never said a work because people who saw it suddenly wanted to try the V-rods.  ;D

I wrecked the brakes on a Buell during a demo day because the rep told me "drive it just like your sportbike".  I did...and promptly turned the rotor purple and warped it...

Offline Triple Bob

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +308/-574
  • Profesional Dash Stroker
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Tundra, GTI, Triumph Tiger, KTM, C63 AMG, FZ-09, Triumph Speed Triple, VW Golf Wagon TDI, BMW 535i, Honda CRF250L, Hyundai Genesis Coupe, Mitsubishi Outlander, Lotus Exige, Subaru Impreza, Peugeot 106, BMW Z4, Toyota MR2 MKIII, Ford Sierra Sapphire
« Reply #1675 on: June 10, 2020, 08:31:35 am »

Like, actually dropping them? What do you mean?

Offline blur911

• Car Crazy
  • Nasty Weasel
    • View Profile
  • Cars: and bikes by age:BMW, Porsche, Subaru, Suzuki, Suzuki, Mazda, Jaguar, Kawasaki, Porsche, GMC, Suzuki
« Reply #1676 on: June 11, 2020, 12:49:11 pm »

Like, actually dropping them? What do you mean?

Yeah, falling over in the parking lot x2 and another who used a bit too much front brake while stopping at a crossroad and it skittered on a bit of gravel and he dropped a V-rod at walking speed.   One guy was stopped from riding because his helmet wasn't a real motorcycle helmet.

Offline ktm525

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +117/-442
  • Just walk away!
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Land Rover LR4, Honda Ridgeline, Husqvarna FE501
« Reply #1677 on: June 11, 2020, 01:14:06 pm »
What? Do they check if riders have actual motorcycle licences?

Offline blur911

• Car Crazy
  • Nasty Weasel
    • View Profile
« Reply #1678 on: June 11, 2020, 01:56:27 pm »
What? Do they check if riders have actual motorcycle licences?

My wife could legally take out a Road King,  that little M doesn't mean much ;D

Offline rrocket

• View Profile
« Reply #1679 on: June 11, 2020, 09:21:53 pm »
https://youtu.be/s6kEov50GPY

Tabernacle... he's riding the right way

The skill level of top shelf off road riders is amazing (well all pro riders..on or off).  I had the fortune of being on track with some of these guys (both on an off).  As a young man with more courage than brains, I was as fast as them....for precisely ONE lap.  I lit off a firecracker of a lap....but these guys could do it for 20 laps...or seemingly for however long they wanted.  Every lap within a tenth of the last.  That was the difference between "kinda fast" and "pro".

My brother's boss continues to race off-road....he races in the Baja 1000 and similar races.  Finished 2nd in class the one year.  Wickedly, wickedly fast.  I could have a factory works race machine and he could be on a moped (or his KTM 790R) and he'd kick my ass 10 ways till Tuesday...without breaking a sweat I'm sure.

They just make it look so effortless!
« Last Edit: June 11, 2020, 09:40:39 pm by rrocket »