Author Topic: What Motorcycle Have You Been Obsessing About Today?  (Read 534824 times)

Offline wing

• Big Wig
  • Administrator
  • Carma: +279/-320
  • If you ain't first ... you're last!
    • View Profile
    • Drivesideways
  • Cars: 2009 Lexus ISF, 2009 Lexus LX570,2011 Audi A5 Touring Car
Re: What Motorcycle Have You Been Obsessing About Today?
« Reply #1580 on: May 06, 2020, 02:41:48 pm »
Most don't travel 1000km a day? haha.  That's the maintenance schedule for mine.

Offline rrocket

• Carma: +1254/-7210
    • View Profile
« Reply #1581 on: May 06, 2020, 02:44:11 pm »
Nice bikes. My only issue with the VFR is the chain drive. Going on a long road trip, do you really want to clean and lube the chain everyday?

Any ST1300, FJR1300, and Concours where you are?

You don't need to with modern chains.
Whaaaat? I had to replace my R3’s at 17,000 km due to poor chain maintenance.
I hardly maintained my chains.

I used among the most highly recommended chain waxes though. Best part? Could buy it at Home Depot for cheap. https://www.webbikeworld.com/dupont-chain-lube-review/

I'd lube it once in awhile after a ride and that was it.
« Last Edit: May 06, 2020, 02:46:51 pm by rrocket »
How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

Offline Arthur Dent

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +186/-80
  • 42?
    • View Profile
« Reply #1582 on: May 06, 2020, 03:02:32 pm »
When I did my trip a few years ago I did the chain lube every 1000kms. Which was five times. Not that big of hassle. Shaft drive would be nice of course.

Offline rrocket

• View Profile
« Reply #1583 on: May 06, 2020, 03:03:36 pm »
When I did my trip a few years ago I did the chain lube every 1000kms. Which was five times. Not that big of hassle. Shaft drive would be nice of course.
Yea...took me 1 minute...if that.

Offline ktm525

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +117/-442
  • Just walk away!
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Land Rover LR4, Honda Ridgeline, Husqvarna FE501
« Reply #1584 on: May 06, 2020, 03:05:46 pm »
X ring chain? What exactly is getting lubed?

Yeah I don't get the chain maintenance fetish either. Buy a high end xring and knock the mud off it after a day in the dirt and if I am feeling loving a treatment of gear oil. and let er drip dry. Perhaps adjust chain once or twice during it's lifetime (2-3 seasons)

Ryan F9 has a good vid on chain lubes. I have been doing the gear oil since time began because that is all I could afford when I was young. I also soak the chain in gear oil during the winter.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VnPYdcbcAe0

Offline rrocket

• View Profile
« Reply #1585 on: May 06, 2020, 03:11:15 pm »
X ring chain? What exactly is getting lubed?

Yeah I don't get the chain maintenance fetish either.

Yep...was almost an afterthought for me. Although when I'd ride off-road in Michigan I was more on top of it because it was a fine, loamy sandy soil and you could hear the grit in the chain.

I know a lot of the Adv riders install a Scott Oiler so they never have to worry.
« Last Edit: May 06, 2020, 03:15:53 pm by rrocket »

Offline dkaz

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +289/-389
  • Flip flop
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 12 Mazda 5 GT 6MT
« Reply #1586 on: May 06, 2020, 04:22:02 pm »
So it wasn’t my fault. That makes me feel better.

Offline rrocket

• View Profile
« Reply #1587 on: May 06, 2020, 04:37:59 pm »
So it wasn’t my fault. That makes me feel better.

Nah, I don't think so.

Offline rrocket

• View Profile
« Reply #1588 on: May 06, 2020, 05:12:36 pm »
Dang...I wish there was a bad review of the Duke 890R..and they keep calling it "special".

Must...resist!!

http://www.motorcycledaily.com/2020/05/2020-ktm-890-duke-r-md-ride-review/

Offline dirtyjeffer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +296/-1312
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2021 Toyota Venza Limited, 2016 Kia Sorento EX AWD
« Reply #1589 on: May 06, 2020, 10:27:01 pm »
keep in mind, those use a V4 engine...not sure about issues, maintenance on those (my old Interceptor 1000 was also a V4, and blew up, but likely an anomaly).
Unlike yours, these ones run forever.
as i said, don't use the one i had as a reference (and don't get me wrong, i really liked that bike)...i still think the bike shop did something shady to it...interestingly enough, they're still open, but have a 2/5 star rating, so i'm likely not silly for being suspicious.
When you've lost the argument, admit defeat and hit the smite button.

Offline rrocket

• View Profile
« Reply #1590 on: May 06, 2020, 10:57:25 pm »
keep in mind, those use a V4 engine...not sure about issues, maintenance on those (my old Interceptor 1000 was also a V4, and blew up, but likely an anomaly).
as i said, don't use the one i had as a reference (and don't get me wrong, i really liked that bike)...i still think the bike shop did something shady to it...interestingly enough, they're still open, but have a 2/5 star rating, so i'm likely not silly for being suspicious.

Those engine were know to have some issues with the cam gear or cam oiling or something...

Offline dirtyjeffer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +296/-1312
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2021 Toyota Venza Limited, 2016 Kia Sorento EX AWD
« Reply #1591 on: May 06, 2020, 11:03:05 pm »

Those engine were know to have some issues with the cam gear or cam oiling or something...
mine threw a rod bearing and seized due to lack of oil...despite just picking it up from the shop the day before and no oil light coming on...to make matters worse (i never suspected them at the time), i ended up buying a used bike from them (FZ750) which i also really liked...after having basic service done on it, i noticed a ding in the one of the fiberglass panels (like they bumped into something)...the bike also had some odd vibration after that...i showed it to them and they said nothing happened (lied)...within a week, all the fiberglass pieces were spider cracked...i knew something was wrong so i went back again...they ended up repairing it for me, but of course, it looked repaired as it wasn't repainted...i sold the bike shortly after anyway, so i didn't bother pursuing it...i'm surprised that place is still around.

Offline BWII

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +188/-376
    • View Profile
« Reply #1592 on: May 07, 2020, 08:14:58 am »
Now that I have gone "upright" I wish my bike was even more upright haha.

What do you plan to do with it?

Well...this is the obsessing thread...so being spring...a man's thoughts start to wander and the sight of clean roads and sunshine make him miss his glory days when he would just get on the bike and ride...

Currently no plans to actually buy anything.  We're still in that spot where, do you save everything possible in case the world takes a(nother) turn for the worse...or because you're working from home and not doing anything...do you consider buying a toy to make your life a little more joyful?  So many questions...on top of which I'd need to spend how many $ on new riding apparel.  Head to toe, that'd be a lotta dough.

When you say upright, you mean something more like this then?
Honda VFR 1200X Crosstourer
https://www.kijiji.ca/v-sport-touring/lethbridge/honda-vfr-1200x-crosstourer/1496780090

At first when I saw those and even the reg VFR1200 had a DCT I thought: gross!  But after watching a couple of videos...hmmm...maybe not really so bad.  Quick shifts on its own, and you can operate it manually with the tap of a finger.  Just over $1000 for insurance.  Assuming the engine is tuned the same as the reg VFR1200, could be a fun bike, too.  And it has all sorts of crash protection built in!  ;D

Offline dkaz

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +289/-389
  • Flip flop
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 12 Mazda 5 GT 6MT
What Motorcycle Have You Been Obsessing About Today?
« Reply #1593 on: May 07, 2020, 10:57:59 am »
The only motorcycles where DCT was standard was the NM4 and the current Gold Wing Tour Airbag. It was optional on the VFR1200X and others and that VFR is definitely manual. DCT models don’t have a foot shifter, although Gold Wing you can get an optional foot shifter which is electronic.

But having ridden the NC750X with and without DCT, I would say the DCT version is very good.
« Last Edit: May 07, 2020, 10:59:46 am by DKaz »

Offline Triple Bob

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +308/-574
  • Profesional Dash Stroker
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Tundra, GTI, Triumph Tiger, KTM, C63 AMG, FZ-09, Triumph Speed Triple, VW Golf Wagon TDI, BMW 535i, Honda CRF250L, Hyundai Genesis Coupe, Mitsubishi Outlander, Lotus Exige, Subaru Impreza, Peugeot 106, BMW Z4, Toyota MR2 MKIII, Ford Sierra Sapphire
« Reply #1594 on: May 07, 2020, 11:02:09 am »
The only motorcycles where DCT was standard was the NM4 and the current Gold Wing Tour Airbag. It was optional on the VFR1200X and others and that VFR is definitely manual. DCT models don’t have a foot shifter, although Gold Wing you can get an optional foot shifter which is electronic.

But having ridden the NC750X with and without DCT, I would say the DCT version is very good.

The Africa Twin also has a good DCT model.

Choosing a car based on reliability is like choosing a wife based solely because she is punctual. There is more to it than that...

Offline wing

• Big Wig
  • Administrator
  • Carma: +279/-320
  • If you ain't first ... you're last!
    • View Profile
    • Drivesideways
  • Cars: 2009 Lexus ISF, 2009 Lexus LX570,2011 Audi A5 Touring Car
« Reply #1595 on: May 07, 2020, 11:40:30 am »
Now that I have gone "upright" I wish my bike was even more upright haha.

What do you plan to do with it?

Well...this is the obsessing thread...so being spring...a man's thoughts start to wander and the sight of clean roads and sunshine make him miss his glory days when he would just get on the bike and ride...

Currently no plans to actually buy anything.  We're still in that spot where, do you save everything possible in case the world takes a(nother) turn for the worse...or because you're working from home and not doing anything...do you consider buying a toy to make your life a little more joyful?  So many questions...on top of which I'd need to spend how many $ on new riding apparel.  Head to toe, that'd be a lotta dough.

When you say upright, you mean something more like this then?
Honda VFR 1200X Crosstourer
https://www.kijiji.ca/v-sport-touring/lethbridge/honda-vfr-1200x-crosstourer/1496780090

At first when I saw those and even the reg VFR1200 had a DCT I thought: gross!  But after watching a couple of videos...hmmm...maybe not really so bad.  Quick shifts on its own, and you can operate it manually with the tap of a finger.  Just over $1000 for insurance.  Assuming the engine is tuned the same as the reg VFR1200, could be a fun bike, too.  And it has all sorts of crash protection built in!  ;D

That is nice!  Do you need such a large engine?  Heck I'm sure it's fun though haha.

Love my triple it's great, I would have likely bought the 700 instead of the 900 if it was available as the 900 seems like trouble all the time haha.

Adventurer tourers are more upright.  I do a lot of highway, so personally I find it more comfortable than leaning over a tank. 

Offline ktm525

• Car Crazy
  • Just walk away!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1596 on: May 07, 2020, 12:06:13 pm »

The Africa Twin also has a good DCT model.

I rode a DCT Africa Twin. I think I prefer the non DCT version at least initially.

Offline BWII

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +188/-376
    • View Profile
« Reply #1597 on: May 07, 2020, 01:25:12 pm »
That is nice!  Do you need such a large engine?  Heck I'm sure it's fun though haha.

Love my triple it's great, I would have likely bought the 700 instead of the 900 if it was available as the 900 seems like trouble all the time haha.

Adventurer tourers are more upright.  I do a lot of highway, so personally I find it more comfortable than leaning over a tank.

No one probably NEEDS such a large engine...but someone always WANTS such a large engine. 

When I started riding I had an 85 Nighthawk 750.  It was fine, sounded cool, could rip around and hardly get in trouble.  Then I rode a V-Max.  And my world fell apart.  Truthfully I could probably get along fine with something like a CB500 (probably has as many horses as the Nighthawk did) or even a CB650 - it's only something like 10 HP shy of a VFR800. 

But...try as I might, I seem to have hit that age in life where putting weight on is easier than taking it off...somehow I've hit just below the mid 200's (when I had my V-Max I was all of 140-45 lbs  :P) and I know how much even 50 lbs on a bike can drag it down.  So yes...I needs a bigger engine.  I think.  Or a V-Twin cruiser...because absolute power corrupts...and I know my right hand will forget that the all of me is over 50 if I had a super fast bike.  I'd be that guy with money at the lake with the 200 hp SeaDoo showing off like I'm 19...("that guy" was at the lake last year...damn I wanted to be that guy  :rofl2: Money and really cool toys.)

I should just keep obsessing...it's not safe for me to ride.   :P ;D

Offline ktm525

• Car Crazy
  • Just walk away!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1598 on: May 07, 2020, 01:32:14 pm »
The DCT Africa twin I tried was in Saskatoon. The PO had put about 5kms on it when he almost put it through the wall of his garage.  :o  He was a short little fellow so he had troubling straddling the bulk that is the Africa Twin. He called the DCT voodoo.  ;D

Offline Triple Bob

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +308/-574
  • Profesional Dash Stroker
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Tundra, GTI, Triumph Tiger, KTM, C63 AMG, FZ-09, Triumph Speed Triple, VW Golf Wagon TDI, BMW 535i, Honda CRF250L, Hyundai Genesis Coupe, Mitsubishi Outlander, Lotus Exige, Subaru Impreza, Peugeot 106, BMW Z4, Toyota MR2 MKIII, Ford Sierra Sapphire
« Reply #1599 on: May 07, 2020, 04:42:13 pm »

No one probably NEEDS such a large engine...but someone always WANTS such a large engine. 

When I started riding I had an 85 Nighthawk 750.  It was fine, sounded cool, could rip around and hardly get in trouble.  Then I rode a V-Max.  And my world fell apart.  Truthfully I could probably get along fine with something like a CB500 (probably has as many horses as the Nighthawk did) or even a CB650 - it's only something like 10 HP shy of a VFR800. 

But...try as I might, I seem to have hit that age in life where putting weight on is easier than taking it off...somehow I've hit just below the mid 200's (when I had my V-Max I was all of 140-45 lbs  :P) and I know how much even 50 lbs on a bike can drag it down.  So yes...I needs a bigger engine.  I think.  Or a V-Twin cruiser...because absolute power corrupts...and I know my right hand will forget that the all of me is over 50 if I had a super fast bike.  I'd be that guy with money at the lake with the 200 hp SeaDoo showing off like I'm 19...("that guy" was at the lake last year...damn I wanted to be that guy  :rofl2: Money and really cool toys.)

I should just keep obsessing...it's not safe for me to ride.   :P ;D

I like a big engine in something I don't have to pick up.  :rofl2: