Author Topic: What Motorcycle Have You Been Obsessing About Today?  (Read 534979 times)

Offline HeliDriver

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +176/-235
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2023 Crosstrek Sport 6MT; 2011 Yukon XL 2500
Re: What Motorcycle Have You Been Obsessing About Today?
« Reply #1500 on: April 18, 2020, 11:15:06 pm »
Deals? On KTMs?  :rofl2:

Offline Triple Bob

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +308/-574
  • Profesional Dash Stroker
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Tundra, GTI, Triumph Tiger, KTM, C63 AMG, FZ-09, Triumph Speed Triple, VW Golf Wagon TDI, BMW 535i, Honda CRF250L, Hyundai Genesis Coupe, Mitsubishi Outlander, Lotus Exige, Subaru Impreza, Peugeot 106, BMW Z4, Toyota MR2 MKIII, Ford Sierra Sapphire
« Reply #1501 on: April 18, 2020, 11:16:49 pm »

Yes but I'm guessing sales might be a bit slower this year.

Choosing a car based on reliability is like choosing a wife based solely because she is punctual. There is more to it than that...

Offline HeliDriver

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #1502 on: April 18, 2020, 11:22:56 pm »
Yeah, I hear you. I guess it’s possible.

My understanding is that dealers are allotted way less of the 2-strokes than they can actually sell. KTM just can’t build them fast enough. Guess we’ll see what happens this year.

Offline rrocket

• Carma: +1254/-7210
    • View Profile
« Reply #1503 on: April 18, 2020, 11:46:58 pm »
I'm sad this discussion may be coming to an end. :(

Indulge me and let's compare:

Beta 300 Xtrainer vs KTM 300 XC-W.

After reading about it today, the Xtrainer has lots that appeal to me personally. Sounds like Beta's version of KTMs discontinued Freeride. The lower seat height for sure (I'm short). Even lower than the 200RR! This appeals to me because my inseam is short, and frequently you need to put your foot down in technical stuff. Sounds like it has more low end grunt (!) and the suspension is plush. Price is right ($9399)

On the negatives, it sounds like the suspension falls apart in anything approaching high speed work over 3rd gear...so you'd for sure need a revalve. No fuel injection. Questionable parts availability/dealer network.

Just throwing this out there! :)

« Last Edit: April 18, 2020, 11:56:04 pm by rrocket »
How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

Offline rrocket

• View Profile
« Reply #1504 on: April 18, 2020, 11:48:40 pm »

Yes but I'm guessing sales might be a bit slower this year.
KTM has had 0 percent financing for the past few years too...if that's important to you.

Offline Triple Bob

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Tundra, GTI, Triumph Tiger, KTM, C63 AMG, FZ-09, Triumph Speed Triple, VW Golf Wagon TDI, BMW 535i, Honda CRF250L, Hyundai Genesis Coupe, Mitsubishi Outlander, Lotus Exige, Subaru Impreza, Peugeot 106, BMW Z4, Toyota MR2 MKIII, Ford Sierra Sapphire
« Reply #1505 on: April 18, 2020, 11:57:38 pm »
I'm sad this discussion may be coming to an end. :(

Indulge me and let's compare:

Beta 300 Xtrainer vs KTM 300 XC-W.

After reading about it today, the Xtrainer has lots that appeal to me personally. Sounds like Beta's version of KTMs discontinued Freeride. The lower seat height for sure (I'm short). Even lower than the 200RR! This appeals to me because my inseam is short, and frequently you need to put your foot down in technical stuff. Sounds like it has more low end grunt (!) and the suspension is plush. Price is right ($9399)

On the negatives, it sounds like the suspension falls apart in anything approaching high speed work over 3rd gear...so you'd for sure need a revalve. No fuel injection. Questionable parts availability/dealer network.

Just throwing this out there! :)

LOL. After all these years you've sold me on a KTM and now you're sad!  :rofl2:

Offline rrocket

• View Profile
« Reply #1506 on: April 19, 2020, 12:06:27 am »

No, no!

I'm sad were still not comparing and contrasting bikes! I love talking bikes!

I'm positively giddy to hear about your test drives though!

And who knows...you might test it and hate it.  I can't claim victory until I see pics of it in your driveway! :)
« Last Edit: April 19, 2020, 12:08:55 am by rrocket »

Offline Triple Bob

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #1507 on: April 19, 2020, 12:31:12 am »

No, no!

And who knows...you might test it and hate it.  I can't claim victory until I see pics of it in your driveway! :)

I find it's very hard to get test rides of anything, that's why I do so much research.

P.S. How much do you think I can get for the CRF250L? It's a 2014, in good condition, with 5-6K on it.

Offline rrocket

• View Profile
« Reply #1508 on: April 19, 2020, 01:15:06 am »

No, no!

I find it's very hard to get test rides of anything, that's why I do so much research.

P.S. How much do you think I can get for the CRF250L? It's a 2014, in good condition, with 5-6K on it.
They usually have KTM demo days. Chesterman KTM had 2 of them last year. Good guy too...father son dealership...and one of them has owned like 5 Honda S2000s.

I'd say your bike is worth $4500 or so?

Offline dkaz

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +289/-389
  • Flip flop
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 12 Mazda 5 GT 6MT
« Reply #1509 on: April 19, 2020, 01:17:01 am »
Selling my R3 to get a Burgman, Majesty, or other maxi-scooter of equal value.

Offline rrocket

• View Profile
« Reply #1510 on: April 19, 2020, 02:26:11 am »
Cool!

Majesty is good...but no ABS which I think is important to you.

I'd also look into the Forza. Has a lot of fans, and with sliders and better windscreen it's super competent...and weighs less than the Burgman.

Offline dkaz

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +289/-389
  • Flip flop
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 12 Mazda 5 GT 6MT
What Motorcycle Have You Been Obsessing About Today?
« Reply #1511 on: April 19, 2020, 11:08:08 am »
Cool!

Majesty is good...but no ABS which I think is important to you.

I'd also look into the Forza. Has a lot of fans, and with sliders and better windscreen it's super competent...and weighs less than the Burgman.
Only Forza has ABS in my price range. I have to travel back to the frozen land to get it.

Offline Triple Bob

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #1512 on: April 19, 2020, 12:11:48 pm »

No, no!

They usually have KTM demo days. Chesterman KTM had 2 of them last year. Good guy too...father son dealership...and one of them has owned like 5 Honda S2000s.

I don't think there will be any demo days this year.

Offline dirtyjeffer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +296/-1312
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2021 Toyota Venza Limited, 2016 Kia Sorento EX AWD
« Reply #1513 on: April 19, 2020, 12:38:58 pm »
noice...another man getting a scooter (rrocket has one too)...i really like that BMW C400GT the dealer has around the corner from me...they aren't open currently because of COVID-19, but i may be tempted to have another look at when they do.  :)
When you've lost the argument, admit defeat and hit the smite button.

Offline rrocket

• View Profile
« Reply #1514 on: April 19, 2020, 03:41:28 pm »

No, no!

I don't think there will be any demo days this year.
Sadly, I think you're right.

Offline rrocket

• View Profile
« Reply #1515 on: April 20, 2020, 02:19:56 am »
Just adding for Bob....the 300XCW, since it's FI it has a high performance and a softer performance setting via the ECU. It's on a handlebar switch on the Six Days version. On the normal version, you just have to undo a plug..but requires fuel tank removal to do so.

So if you were still concerned about too much power...you have the ability to set it to your comfort level.

Offline HeliDriver

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #1516 on: April 20, 2020, 01:38:32 pm »
Ok, since we're not done beating this horse yet....  :rofl2:

I don't disagree with anything that has been said about the 300. It's a fantastic bike, smooth power and really easy to ride. Can't go wrong with purchasing one, whether you're a novice or an expert. Like rrocket said, you can just put it in third gear, leave it there all day, and twist the throttle as desired.

And yes, it's light - way lighter than Bob's current CRF, and basically the same weight as the 250 and within a couple pounds of the Beta 200RR.

But, even though all these bikes are physically within a few pounds of each other, they're all going to feel different. Whether it's the extra moving mass of the engine, or just the extra power, the 300 is going to feel like a heavier bike. I think ktm called the 250 "high strung," but I'd say it just has a peppier feel. Mine has a few mods that give it tons of low end power, but it still probably revs a bit faster and feels a little more eager than a 300. (And my 2011 has the map switch for the ECU as well. Don't need to pay extra for the Six-Days version - you can buy the handlebar switch for $30 and install it yourself.)

Like Bob said, that Beta 200RR is known for its friendly, smooth power delivery. Even though it weighs about the same as the KTM 250/300, I think it's going to have a much different (lighter) feel, and maybe not tire you out as much over a long day. And then of course there's the KTM 150 - 201 pounds! There's really something to be said for that "mountain bike with a motor" kind of riding experience. For Bob, living back east (no huge, loose hillclimbs, I assume?) and being a fairly light rider, I'd be leaning more to the 150/200 side of the equation than 250/300.

For a flawed car analogy, I'd say the KTM 150 is like a Lotus Elise, Beta 200RR like a Porsche Cayman GTS, KTM 300 is like a Porsche 911 Turbo. Not sure if the KTM 250 is like a Cayman GT4 or 911 GTS.  ;D  Regardless, the point is that they're all awesome cars (bikes,) but do have noticeably different character. Too bad about the demo days, because it would be really helpful to throw a leg over each.  :-\

« Last Edit: April 20, 2020, 01:49:34 pm by HeliDriver »

Offline rrocket

• View Profile
« Reply #1517 on: April 20, 2020, 02:44:07 pm »

I don't disagree with anything that has been said about the 300. It's a fantastic bike, smooth power and really easy to ride. Can't go wrong with purchasing one, whether you're a novice or an expert. Like rrocket said, you can just put it in third gear, leave it there all day, and twist the throttle as desired.

And yes, it's light - way lighter than Bob's current CRF, and basically the same weight as the 250 and within a couple pounds of the Beta 200RR.

But, even though all these bikes are physically within a few pounds of each other, they're all going to feel different. Whether it's the extra moving mass of the engine, or just the extra power, the 300 is going to feel like a heavier bike. I think ktm called the 250 "high strung," but I'd say it just has a peppier feel. Mine has a few mods that give it tons of low end power, but it still probably revs a bit faster and feels a little more eager than a 300. (And my 2011 has the map switch for the ECU as well. Don't need to pay extra for the Six-Days version - you can buy the handlebar switch for $30 and install it yourself.)

Like Bob said, that Beta 200RR is known for its friendly, smooth power delivery. Even though it weighs about the same as the KTM 250/300, I think it's going to have a much different (lighter) feel, and maybe not tire you out as much over a long day. And then of course there's the KTM 150 - 201 pounds! There's really something to be said for that "mountain bike with a motor" kind of riding experience. For Bob, living back east (no huge, loose hillclimbs, I assume?) and being a fairly light rider, I'd be leaning more to the 150/200 side of the equation than 250/300.

For a flawed car analogy, I'd say the KTM 150 is like a Lotus Elise, Beta 200RR like a Porsche Cayman GTS, KTM 300 is like a Porsche 911 Turbo. Not sure if the KTM 250 is like a Cayman GT4 or 911 GTS.  ;D  Regardless, the point is that they're all awesome cars (bikes,) but do have noticeably different character. Too bad about the demo days, because it would be really helpful to throw a leg over each.  :-\
Yea, I definitely think there's value in throwing a leg over each....for fit and feel.

Offline ktm525

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +117/-442
  • Just walk away!
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Land Rover LR4, Honda Ridgeline, Husqvarna FE501
« Reply #1518 on: April 20, 2020, 03:06:34 pm »

That is a great analogy. In this story my "modded" FE501 would be like a Dodge Demon lol.  It's fun riding with the 300s and getting my ass kicked in the tight stuff (great training for when I ride my 300) and then when we hit the open straight and pull away as they are topping out.  At that point I look down at the speedo and say to myself "holy s#$%!"

Offline rrocket

• View Profile
« Reply #1519 on: April 20, 2020, 03:16:24 pm »
Yea, I had an XR650R I was fond of. Had the HRC power up kit on it. They didn't call it Big Red Pig for nothing though...she was heavy!

But there was this one area where it was a steep, loamy hill at the end of this single track loop. Of course I nearly died of exhaustion getting there....but once there it was the only bike in group that could romp up that hill!

I saw 150+km/h in the dirt on that beast!