Author Topic: What Motorcycle Have You Been Obsessing About Today?  (Read 535020 times)

Offline ktm525

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +117/-442
  • Just walk away!
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Land Rover LR4, Honda Ridgeline, Husqvarna FE501
Re: What Motorcycle Have You Been Obsessing About Today?
« Reply #1460 on: April 17, 2020, 05:47:35 pm »
Buy a dual sport KTM 500 EXC or Husky FE501 an then you can ride anywhere. The big CCs sound intimidating but the design puts out very linear power and nice torque. The driveline is very robust as most of the time you won't be stressing it much.

Offline rrocket

• Carma: +1254/-7210
    • View Profile
« Reply #1461 on: April 17, 2020, 06:12:24 pm »
So I take it you won't consider a KTM off road bike either?

Shame because they have models that cover the gamut of off road riding.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2020, 06:30:52 pm by rrocket »
How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

Offline Triple Bob

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +308/-574
  • Profesional Dash Stroker
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Tundra, GTI, Triumph Tiger, KTM, C63 AMG, FZ-09, Triumph Speed Triple, VW Golf Wagon TDI, BMW 535i, Honda CRF250L, Hyundai Genesis Coupe, Mitsubishi Outlander, Lotus Exige, Subaru Impreza, Peugeot 106, BMW Z4, Toyota MR2 MKIII, Ford Sierra Sapphire
« Reply #1462 on: April 17, 2020, 08:32:29 pm »
Buy a dual sport KTM 500 EXC or Husky FE501 an then you can ride anywhere. The big CCs sound intimidating but the design puts out very linear power and nice torque. The driveline is very robust as most of the time you won't be stressing it much.

I already have a dual sport. I want something smaller and lighter.

Choosing a car based on reliability is like choosing a wife based solely because she is punctual. There is more to it than that...

Offline Triple Bob

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Tundra, GTI, Triumph Tiger, KTM, C63 AMG, FZ-09, Triumph Speed Triple, VW Golf Wagon TDI, BMW 535i, Honda CRF250L, Hyundai Genesis Coupe, Mitsubishi Outlander, Lotus Exige, Subaru Impreza, Peugeot 106, BMW Z4, Toyota MR2 MKIII, Ford Sierra Sapphire
« Reply #1463 on: April 17, 2020, 08:33:41 pm »

I don't have anything against KTM, but from the reviews, the Beta 200 RR seems to be better than anything they currently make.

Happy to be swayed otherwise. And I don't want used.

Offline rrocket

• View Profile
« Reply #1464 on: April 17, 2020, 09:05:11 pm »

I don't have anything against KTM, but from the reviews, the Beta 200 RR seems to be better than anything they currently make.

Oh...well their 4 strokes are top shelf too (since you mentioned the CRX).

I'm sure one of their 250 or 350 models would suit you.

And the beta better than ANY 2 stroke KTM? Not sure I agree with that. Their 250 and 300 2 strokes are superb..and come with fuel injection , e-start and top shelf suspension. I got to ride a 300 Six Days and thought it was superb. I switched to KTM for the simple reason that they just seemed to require much less to make them "perfect".  Prior to that (apart from one KDX and one DRZ), I always ran Honda or Yamaha.

I also knew plenty of guys who owned Yamaha WR250F and seemed pleased with those.

I was going to suggest an e-bike since you've shown interest...but I don't think their range (about an hour) is where they need to be for off road yet.

I'm thinking you'll need to throw a leg over and test a bunch to see what suits you best.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2020, 09:35:46 pm by rrocket »

Offline me_2

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +300/-76
  • 2014 Volt, 2001 Saturn SW2. Son's DD: 2015 Volt
    • View Profile
« Reply #1465 on: April 17, 2020, 09:16:19 pm »
Just by curiosity, is any feedback from amateur on electric dirt bike, like the Zero FX ?

https://www.zeromotorcycles.com/en-ca/model/zero-fx
Gone but not forgotten in chronological order: 2019 Volt, 2013 Volt, 2014 Spark EV, 2012 Volt and many others before...

Online Gurgie

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +308/-518
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2019 Honda Passport Touring
You live everyday. You only die once....

Offline rrocket

• View Profile
« Reply #1467 on: April 17, 2020, 11:05:12 pm »
Just by curiosity, is any feedback from amateur on electric dirt bike, like the Zero FX ?

https://www.zeromotorcycles.com/en-ca/model/zero-fx

The KTM FreeRide is probably the most popular...guys have raced these against gas bikes and done well.

Recently, I started paying attention to this: https://motorino.ca/sur-ron

Videos of guys racing these against real dirt bikes...and doing well. One guy won his class. 45-50mph, 50-70 mile range. This would make for an amusing rig IMO....especially single track.  And the price is right! MTB/motorcycle hybrid and only 110lbs!

I think this would be a hoot....and this particular machine more than any other I have read about has changed the minds of motorcycle riders about going electric. These guys bought the old (first) version and fell in love with it. https://www.webbikeworld.com/sur-ron-light-bee-review/

And if I'm honest....I wouldn't mind owning one for goofing off on.

How about it, Bob? :)

« Last Edit: April 17, 2020, 11:36:59 pm by rrocket »

Offline ktm525

• Car Crazy
  • Just walk away!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1468 on: April 17, 2020, 11:30:35 pm »

Oh ok although the 500 EXC is not really a dual sport. It is a dirt bike that can handle a motocross track with a few lights hanging off of it, very handy for linking OHV trails. At 240 lbs dry The 500 is probably about 50lbs lighter than your 250L with fluids.

If dirt only then I lean towards two stroke and my first choice would be a fuel injected KTM 300 XC-W TPI or the Husky equivalent. The 300 power is full of torque. A rider to be lazy and not have to constantly  shift. With the fuel injection it will pull easily if you end up in too high of a gear on a technical section. So easy to ride. If you are racing then you may want to go smaller but if not the 300 is the gentlemen's two stroke. At 223lbs it is pretty light.

I have always had a 300 stablemate to my big bore 4 strokes. I had a 2004 with over 500 hours on that I absolutely rode and raced the crap out of. It is still running and on many original components. My current 2009 has been trouble free and soon there will be a 300 TPI taking it's place.

There is nothing wrong with Betas but KTM/Husky hold their value so well that they are less risky. The landscape is littered with oddball Euro bikes that hung around for awhile and then disappeared. My buddy had a 250 TM that he couldn't give away even though it was only a few years old.

Whatever you choose, don't choose boring!

Offline rrocket

• View Profile

Offline rrocket

• View Profile
« Reply #1470 on: April 17, 2020, 11:36:16 pm »

Oh ok although the 500 EXC is not really a dual sport. It is a dirt bike that can handle a motocross track with a few lights hanging off of it, very handy for linking OHV trails. At 240 lbs dry The 500 is probably about 50lbs lighter than your 250L with fluids.

If dirt only then I lean towards two stroke and my first choice would be a fuel injected KTM 300 XC-W TPI or the Husky equivalent. The 300 power is full of torque. A rider to be lazy and not have to constantly  shift. With the fuel injection it will pull easily if you end up in too high of a gear on a technical section. So easy to ride. If you are racing then you may want to go smaller but if not the 300 is the gentlemen's two stroke. At 223lbs it is pretty light.

I have always had a 300 stablemate to my big bore 4 strokes. I had a 2004 with over 500 hours on that I absolutely rode and raced the crap out of. It is still running and on many original components. My current 2009 has been trouble free and soon there will be a 300 TPI taking it's place.

There is nothing wrong with Betas but KTM/Husky hold their value so well that they are less risky. The landscape is littered with oddball Euro bikes that hung around for awhile and then disappeared. My buddy had a 250 TM that he couldn't give away even though it was only a few years old.

Whatever you choose, don't choose boring!
I agree with your 300 assessment of easy to ride which was perhaps my biggest surprise. It has the torque and power, but didn't seem as frenetic as an MX bike. Great engine and great quality throughout.

The one I rode was NOT fuel injected. Have you ridden the FI bike yet?
« Last Edit: April 17, 2020, 11:37:51 pm by rrocket »

Offline ktm525

• Car Crazy
  • Just walk away!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1471 on: April 18, 2020, 12:38:20 am »
Yes and they are good. No stumble from way down low. The last couple of years of the carbureted 300s were hit and miss. Owners were replacing the carb with Lectrons and such trying to get them to run crisp. The older Keihin carbs people had long figured out and were superior IMO. The 300 is the older guys dirtbike. Nice and mellow but the extra cc's let it hang with the more frantic 250 motocrossers.

Offline Triple Bob

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #1472 on: April 18, 2020, 12:41:30 am »

And the beta better than ANY 2 stroke KTM? Not sure I agree with that. Their 250 and 300 2 strokes are superb..and come with fuel injection , e-start and top shelf suspension. I got to ride a 300 Six Days and thought it was superb. I switched to KTM for the simple reason that they just seemed to require much less to make them "perfect".  Prior to that (apart from one KDX and one DRZ), I always ran Honda or Yamaha.

I also knew plenty of guys who owned Yamaha WR250F and seemed pleased with those.

I was going to suggest an e-bike since you've shown interest...but I don't think their range (about an hour) is where they need to be for off road yet.

I'm thinking you'll need to throw a leg over and test a bunch to see what suits you best.

I think part of the issue is that I don't want something with lots of power, which is what would suit you and Mr KTM. I'm not that interested in going fast, and don't race, which is why the 200 class appeals to me.  All of the reviews I have read/watched say it's the perfect balance of lightness, handling, and power for someone that just wants to ride trails.

I'm perfectly happy to read a review of a KTM, I just can't be bothered trawling through all the models, so recommend one I can read about and I will.

I like e-bikes, but they are not good enough yet. I want to be out on the trails for few hours.

The one thing that everyone mentions about the Beta 200RR is how light it feels, due to it being based on a 125 frame.

Offline ktm525

• Car Crazy
  • Just walk away!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1473 on: April 18, 2020, 12:51:25 am »
The Beta 200RR would be great due to the 125 frame. It comes down to how big you are and the fit of the bike. If at all possible demo a bike (going to be tough these days). I bet 80% of the dirt people I ride with are on KTM/Husky 2 strokes. A few of the smaller (in shape lol?) guys are on 200s and the like.

I spent a pretty penny making my current FE501 larger. I added a taller seat, 25mm of handlebar rise and lowered the footpegs. It seems KTM is making the rider triangle or cockpit smaller with newer models. Betas felt similar.  Typically bikes are sprung for about a 175 lb rider.  so I had to go up a bunch (me=fat,+ big desert tank + adventure gear) of spring rates. Make sure you get the spring rates applicable for you and you will be golden.

The upside of used  if you are north of 190 lbs is you can sometimes find a bike that has been resprung and farkled to the moon and then sold for cheap with 10 hours on it as the rider has hurt himself...

Oh and that ebike thingy looks awesome.

Offline Triple Bob

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #1474 on: April 18, 2020, 12:57:38 am »
The Beta 200RR would be great due to the 125 frame. It comes down to how big you are and the fit of the bike. If at all possible demo a bike (going to be tough these days). I bet 80% of the dirt people I ride with are on KTM/Husky 2 strokes. A few of the smaller (in shape lol?) guys are on 200s and the like.

I spent a pretty penny making my current FE501 larger. I added a taller seat, 25mm of handlebar rise and lowered the footpegs. It seems KTM is making the rider triangle or cockpit smaller with newer models. Betas felt similar.  Typically bikes are sprung for about a 175 lb rider.  so I had to go up a bunch (me=fat,+ big desert tank + adventure gear) of spring rates. Make sure you get the spring rates applicable for you and you will be golden.

The upside of used  if you are north of 190 lbs is you can sometimes find a bike that has been resprung and farkled to the moon and then sold for cheap with 10 hours on it as the rider has hurt himself...

Oh and that ebike thingy looks awesome.

I'm about 165lbs, and want something light to flick around tight forest trails.

Offline HeliDriver

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +176/-235
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2023 Crosstrek Sport 6MT; 2011 Yukon XL 2500
« Reply #1475 on: April 18, 2020, 01:06:03 am »
I think that 200RR would be great. Maybe even the Beta XTrainer as well? XTrainer could be intriguing option if you're not so tall.

Too bad KTM quit selling the gas Freerides here, that might have worked. Still, 150 XC-W might be worth looking into.

Offline rrocket

• View Profile
« Reply #1476 on: April 18, 2020, 01:19:42 am »

I think part of the issue is that I don't want something with lots of power, which is what would suit you and Mr KTM. I'm not that interested in going fast, and don't race, which is why the 200 class appeals to me.  All of the reviews I have read/watched say it's the perfect balance of lightness, handling, and power for someone that just wants to ride trails.

I'm perfectly happy to read a review of a KTM, I just can't be bothered trawling through all the models, so recommend one I can read about and I will.

I like e-bikes, but they are not good enough yet. I want to be out on the trails for few hours.

The one thing that everyone mentions about the Beta 200RR is how light it feels, due to it being based on a 125 frame.

I gotcha.

Truth be told, like I mentioned earlier, the 300 didn't seem gnarly like a full on motocrosser and was easy to ride. I have my doubts the extra 50cc or 100cc would overwhelm you, honestly. And it was WAY better suited to low speed riding with surprising torque compared to others I've ridden. As far as weight?  I think the Beta is only 10lbs lighter isn't it?

Not sure if you watched this, but it's worth your time. Some good insight here from 3 different riders. Noob, pro and someone in between.

https://youtu.be/Hb_eOVD29F8

After the video if you think the Beta is still for you vs the smaller bike, you can check out the bigger KTMs.  Read about the 250 or 300 XC W...fuel injection sounds like a game changer in all of their 2 strokes which might be worth checking out.

If after that, you're still on the Beta wagon...I'd say it's the bike for you.

Offline rrocket

• View Profile
« Reply #1477 on: April 18, 2020, 01:24:01 am »
. Still, 150 XC-W might be worth looking into.

I really think so too...but only the FI ones. Going back and reviewing old tests/videos, everyone seems more surprised at how much better the FI bike feels compared to the old one...both in power and delivery.

And I know I'm beating a dead horse..but stock KTM suspension is really, really good vs competition. And for me, that's very important. A well sorted suspension allows you to ride quicker, easier...and won't tire you out as easily.
« Last Edit: April 18, 2020, 01:26:00 am by rrocket »

Offline Triple Bob

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #1478 on: April 18, 2020, 01:53:20 am »

I gotcha.

Truth be told, like I mentioned earlier, the 300 didn't seem gnarly like a full on motocrosser and was easy to ride. I have my doubts the extra 50cc or 100cc would overwhelm you, honestly. And it was WAY better suited to low speed riding with surprising torque compared to others I've ridden. As far as weight?  I think the Beta is only 10lbs lighter isn't it?

Not sure if you watched this, but it's worth your time. Some good insight here from 3 different riders. Noob, pro and someone in between.

https://youtu.be/Hb_eOVD29F8

After the video if you think the Beta is still for you vs the smaller bike, you can check out the bigger KTMs.  Read about the 250 or 300 XC W...fuel injection sounds like a game changer in all of their 2 strokes which might be worth checking out.

If after that, you're still on the Beta wagon...I'd say it's the bike for you.

Not sure I want a 150, what about the 250XCW?

Offline ktm525

• Car Crazy
  • Just walk away!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1479 on: April 18, 2020, 02:59:52 am »
The 250 XCW is more high strung than the 300. The 300 you can ride in the bottom 1/3 of the throttle.  Weight has to be within a pound or two and same chassis. If you are looking for judt mellow cruising all of them are probably overkill and $$$ (although they cruise great). Perhaps like Rockett said way back the WR250?

edit: Yikes when did WRs become so expensive? After all this fun bike shopping. Buy the Beta 200RR. (same money) Can't go wrong with light. If you are bigger I still think the 300 is more suitable. Sit on the 200 and if it feels right go for it. Do get it resprung though if you fall outside the spec. Don't forget to post pics.

« Last Edit: April 18, 2020, 03:08:39 am by ktm525 »