Author Topic: What Motorcycle Have You Been Obsessing About Today?  (Read 535091 times)

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1424/-2121
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2020 Toyota Tundra, 2021 Lexus GX460, 2018 Kawasaki Versys X300
Re: What Motorcycle Have You Been Obsessing About Today?
« Reply #1400 on: April 08, 2020, 05:19:16 pm »
To me, the ADV sector is where its at. Such versatile machines, one day I will buy a proper big boy BMW/KTM/Honda

You must resist. Channel your inner Colin Chapman "Simplify and then add lightness". There is little adventure in big ADV bikes, especially if you dump it and can't pick it up... Your current bike is perfect.

Dump and can't pick it up? With the proper technique it doable to pick most bikes. I'm not Mr Muscle and I did pick up my Super Tenere last summer when I dropped it manoeuvering on grass. It's no lightweight and tall which does not help.

Yeah, I saw this tiny little woman pick up a huge BMW ADV bike with no issue, its about the technique, not lifting bro  ;D
Lighten up Francis.....

Offline ktm525

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +117/-442
  • Just walk away!
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Land Rover LR4, Honda Ridgeline, Husqvarna FE501
« Reply #1403 on: April 08, 2020, 05:34:28 pm »
Impressive however the places you tend to dump an ADV is not on a grippy rubber mat.  ;D  Usually on a gravelly or muddy  off camber trail or in the middle of a stream. I love how all the how to videos are on a mat or a nice level surface ::)

This is more of what you see out in the real world. I have helped lift/push/pull many an adventure bike in the woods. This is closer to reality. A 300 mile day and the guy has dumped the bike a bunch already Not much left in the tank.  ;D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=283&v=Vn38jYClCvg&feature=emb_logo

« Last Edit: April 08, 2020, 05:43:57 pm by ktm525 »

Offline blur911

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +244/-779
  • Nasty Weasel
    • View Profile
  • Cars: and bikes by age:BMW, Porsche, Subaru, Suzuki, Suzuki, Mazda, Jaguar, Kawasaki, Porsche, GMC, Suzuki
« Reply #1404 on: April 08, 2020, 05:42:31 pm »

Yeah, I saw this tiny little woman pick up a huge BMW ADV bike with no issue, its about the technique, not lifting bro  ;D

Now try that in reality, where the wheels are 2 feet higher than the rest of the bike which is now resting in a muddy swail and tangled up in prickly-ash.

Actually, most of the time it's dead easy.
Mr Pickypants

Offline rrocket

• Carma: +1254/-7210
    • View Profile
« Reply #1405 on: April 08, 2020, 06:19:39 pm »
Impressive however the places you tend to dump an ADV is not on a grippy rubber mat.  ;D  Usually on a gravelly or muddy  off camber trail or in the middle of a stream. I love how all the how to videos are on a mat or a nice level surface ::)

This is more of what you see out in the real world. I have helped lift/push/pull many an adventure bike in the woods. This is closer to reality. A 300 mile day and the guy has dumped the bike a bunch already Not much left in the tank.  ;D

Yep..has happened to me on a light bike after a long day.  I may has well been trying to lift an elephant.
How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

Offline Triple Bob

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +308/-574
  • Profesional Dash Stroker
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Tundra, GTI, Triumph Tiger, KTM, C63 AMG, FZ-09, Triumph Speed Triple, VW Golf Wagon TDI, BMW 535i, Honda CRF250L, Hyundai Genesis Coupe, Mitsubishi Outlander, Lotus Exige, Subaru Impreza, Peugeot 106, BMW Z4, Toyota MR2 MKIII, Ford Sierra Sapphire
« Reply #1406 on: April 08, 2020, 09:44:16 pm »
Oh OK...gotcha.  Ya, it's an intelligent design...but not terribly aesthetic.  My concern would be puncturing it TBH. 

When people would talk about testicular gas tanks "back in the day", it usually meant the seating arrangement/gas tanks weren't ideal and you'd smash your nads into the gas tank on hard braking.   :rofl: :rofl2:

LOL. Yep, I'm still saving up for a Tiger 900.

Just for aesthetic reasons?  Or always like Triumph (fan boy)?

I only ask because the 900 makes slightly less power, has less suspension and weighs more than the 790...3 reasonably important metrics for an Adv.  Plus it costs more.  Wonder if more costly to insure too...because of CC?

Just wondering is all...BTW....did you watch the season opener for Moto2??  All running triple cylinder Triumphs now...are LOUD and sound spectacular!!

I don't need more power, the suspension is still great, and the weight is also fine. I want something that is a really good 80/20 road/off bike, and that is also comfortable for touring, two up. The KTM is arguably better off-road, but I don't need that, I still have the CRF250L. The KTM has many fans, as it's a good bike, not disputing that. It's just not what I want. I believe the Triumph is the better all rounder with a road bias.

Yamaha Tenere 700?  Looks to be a lot of value.

Is that a question for me? I've already made up my mind, the Triumph is a really great bike, and matches exactly what I want/need.

No doubt the Yammy is too, but it's not what I'm looking for.
Ok, now that it's settled, which version will you get?

Regular, GT or Rally?

Rally Pro.

KTM's are great bikes, (to be fair, most bikes these days are really good) but no one can objectively argue that the 790 is a better fit for what I have already stated above.

I thought you wanted 80/20??  Would seem the GT might be better suited to that than the off-road oriented Rally.

I want one that I can also use off-road when I want.

Choosing a car based on reliability is like choosing a wife based solely because she is punctual. There is more to it than that...

Offline rrocket

• View Profile
« Reply #1407 on: April 08, 2020, 09:48:04 pm »
Oh OK...gotcha.  Ya, it's an intelligent design...but not terribly aesthetic.  My concern would be puncturing it TBH. 

When people would talk about testicular gas tanks "back in the day", it usually meant the seating arrangement/gas tanks weren't ideal and you'd smash your nads into the gas tank on hard braking.   :rofl: :rofl2:

I only ask because the 900 makes slightly less power, has less suspension and weighs more than the 790...3 reasonably important metrics for an Adv.  Plus it costs more.  Wonder if more costly to insure too...because of CC?

Just wondering is all...BTW....did you watch the season opener for Moto2??  All running triple cylinder Triumphs now...are LOUD and sound spectacular!!

I don't need more power, the suspension is still great, and the weight is also fine. I want something that is a really good 80/20 road/off bike, and that is also comfortable for touring, two up. The KTM is arguably better off-road, but I don't need that, I still have the CRF250L. The KTM has many fans, as it's a good bike, not disputing that. It's just not what I want. I believe the Triumph is the better all rounder with a road bias.

Is that a question for me? I've already made up my mind, the Triumph is a really great bike, and matches exactly what I want/need.

Regular, GT or Rally?

Rally Pro.

KTM's are great bikes, (to be fair, most bikes these days are really good) but no one can objectively argue that the 790 is a better fit for what I have already stated above.

I thought you wanted 80/20??  Would seem the GT might be better suited to that than the off-road oriented Rally.

Soft roading?  Or hard core?

Offline Triple Bob

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Tundra, GTI, Triumph Tiger, KTM, C63 AMG, FZ-09, Triumph Speed Triple, VW Golf Wagon TDI, BMW 535i, Honda CRF250L, Hyundai Genesis Coupe, Mitsubishi Outlander, Lotus Exige, Subaru Impreza, Peugeot 106, BMW Z4, Toyota MR2 MKIII, Ford Sierra Sapphire
« Reply #1408 on: April 08, 2020, 10:05:06 pm »

Regular, GT or Rally?

Rally Pro.

Whatever I want to do, let it go Ron.

Offline rrocket

• View Profile
« Reply #1409 on: April 08, 2020, 10:17:42 pm »

Regular, GT or Rally?

Rally Pro.

Just asking what plans you have...like maybe a big ride across the the Trans Canada trail system? Or something softer like sport touring via deliberate gravel/unimproved roads?  Usually when someone takes the plunge with a full on ADV bike, they have some vacations in mind!   :skid:

I'm guessing the CRF will be for goofing around for "real" off road stuff....

« Last Edit: April 08, 2020, 10:26:27 pm by rrocket »

Offline Triple Bob

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #1410 on: April 08, 2020, 10:37:55 pm »

Regular, GT or Rally?

Rally Pro.

Just asking what plans you have...like maybe a big ride across the the Trans Canada trail system? Or something softer like sport touring via deliberate gravel/unimproved roads?  Usually when someone takes the plunge with a full on ADV bike, they have some vacations in mind!

I'm guessing the CRF will be for goofing around for "real" off road stuff....

I don't have any plans right now, the world is on pause. I don't have time to do any large tours, I have two jobs, two kids, and two dogs.

I just want a bike I can tour on, and also take off road.  It's very simple.  There are many dirt roads near me, and also some trails. Plus I also want to take it to Ganaraska and hoon around the fire roads and two lane tracks there too.  The only thing it can't do is really tight single track, which is fine, that's what the CRF is for.

The Tiger 800 was already a good bike: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rPRfTtLMAoc

The 900 is even better: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xR_dYJ3xGtM

So I'm already sold.

This was also fun. It's long, but a quite thorough review of the 800 and BMW/Honda competitors.

Part 1:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BkfibaXOrnw
Part 2: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RRUAuTp5lPU

Offline rrocket

• View Profile
« Reply #1411 on: April 08, 2020, 10:48:13 pm »

I don't have any plans right now, the world is on pause. I don't have time to do any large tours, I have two jobs, two kids, and two dogs.

I just want a bike I can tour on, and also take off road.  It's very simple.  There are many dirt roads near me, and also some trails. Plus I also want to take it to Ganaraska and hoon around the fire roads and two lane tracks there too.  The only thing it can't do is really tight single track, which is fine, that's what the CRF is for.

The Tiger 800 was already a good bike: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rPRfTtLMAoc

So I'm already sold.

This was also fun. It's long, but a quite thorough review of the 800 and BMW/Honda competitors.

Sigh...I haven't ridden there in years.  Great place to ride...apart from the people on horses who used to be there!  :o

I'm guessing you've likely been on some of the Trans Canada trails out your way??  https://thegreattrail.ca/explore-the-map/

Some of those Ontario Dual Sport rides are pretty awesome too!
« Last Edit: April 08, 2020, 11:05:35 pm by rrocket »

Offline Bubba

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +382/-442
  • Vice President, Autos.ca Arizona Operations
    • View Profile
    • My photo site
  • Cars: 2013 Toyota Corolla LE
« Reply #1412 on: April 09, 2020, 09:35:32 am »
looks like BMW has launched the R18 now:

https://www.bmw-motorrad.ca/en/models/heritage/r18.html

Crikey, do you want some bike with your exhaust..?

Sounds pretty good, though.
My reading of history convinces me that most bad government results from too much government. - Thomas Jefferson

Offline Triple Bob

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #1413 on: April 10, 2020, 03:13:02 pm »

So I'm already sold.

Sigh...I haven't ridden there in years.  Great place to ride...apart from the people on horses who used to be there!  :o

I'm guessing you've likely been on some of the Trans Canada trails out your way??  https://thegreattrail.ca/explore-the-map/

I'm looking at that map, and I'm thinking that a lot of those trails aren't suitable for motorbikes..?

I did a load of riding out in either Ganaraska or near Simcoe last year, there are some great trails up there.

Offline rrocket

• View Profile
« Reply #1414 on: April 10, 2020, 05:06:16 pm »

So I'm already sold.

I'm looking at that map, and I'm thinking that a lot of those trails aren't suitable for motorbikes..?

I did a load of riding out in either Ganaraska or near Simcoe last year, there are some great trails up there.
Yea, I went back and looked and agree. This is a different map! And it's been renamed from the trans canada trail, which was 100 percent bike trails.

Really disappointing.

I'll see if I can find a copy of the original map.

Offline ktm525

• Car Crazy
  • Just walk away!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1415 on: April 11, 2020, 01:03:42 pm »
That whole project is somewhat off the rails. What happened is they  made trails with tons of restrictions. The people that would have used the trails couldn't so it collapsed due to minimal use. Last fall I came across a logbook station for the Great Divide Trail (GDT) This is a much touted hiking trail that follows the Great Divide through the US and Canada. The logbook I was at was close to Calgary. Guess how many people signed the book over a two year period? Five.

Online Arthur Dent

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +186/-80
  • 42?
    • View Profile
« Reply #1416 on: April 12, 2020, 09:43:32 pm »
Put myvan for sale...

Please view this ad:

2004 honda st1300a
3000 obo,
https://www.kijiji.ca/v-sport-touring/calgary/2004-honda-st1300a-3000-obo/1493511516?utm_source=com.google.android.apps.docs&utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=socialbuttons&utm_content=app_android

Price: $ 3,000

Download the application from the Google Play Store.
 https://tinyurl.com/9x9f4jd

Will throw in one free roll of toilet paper  :rofl2:

Offline dirtyjeffer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +296/-1312
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2021 Toyota Venza Limited, 2016 Kia Sorento EX AWD
« Reply #1417 on: April 13, 2020, 09:28:39 am »
our local dealer recently listed this bike (BMW R NineT Pure):

https://www.wolfmotorcycles.com/default.asp?page=xPreOwnedInventoryDetail&id=8629509&p=1&s=Year&d=D&t=preowned&fr=xPreOwnedInventory

i like these...assuming it hasn't been dropped or anything, that's a pretty good price as it's about $5k off a new one (comparably equipped) and only has 6300 kms on it.
When you've lost the argument, admit defeat and hit the smite button.

Offline Guy

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +480/-1198
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2021 Mustang Mach-E Premium, 2019 Volvo XC40 Momentum
« Reply #1418 on: April 13, 2020, 09:55:15 am »
Yes, very nice bike.

Went for a couple hour ride yesterday on the Yamaha on a very scenic road just north of Quebec city. That was great!  :)

Offline ktm525

• Car Crazy
  • Just walk away!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1419 on: April 13, 2020, 10:38:37 am »
our local dealer recently listed this bike (BMW R NineT Pure):

https://www.wolfmotorcycles.com/default.asp?page=xPreOwnedInventoryDetail&id=8629509&p=1&s=Year&d=D&t=preowned&fr=xPreOwnedInventory

i like these...assuming it hasn't been dropped or anything, that's a pretty good price as it's about $5k off a new one (comparably equipped) and only has 6300 kms on it.

That is nice. Only BMW would have a $1000 "tach upgrade"  ;D