Author Topic: What Motorcycle Have You Been Obsessing About Today?  (Read 535264 times)

Offline blur911

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +244/-779
  • Nasty Weasel
    • View Profile
  • Cars: and bikes by age:BMW, Porsche, Subaru, Suzuki, Suzuki, Mazda, Jaguar, Kawasaki, Porsche, GMC, Suzuki
Re: What Motorcycle Have You Been Obsessing About Today?
« Reply #1360 on: April 03, 2020, 05:11:01 pm »
Does anyone else find the constant adding CC's weird? They announced development of the 890 soon after the 790 launched.  Then it will be the 990 again, and they will start with another smaller one. 

For all manufacturers, why not just define a few key displacements (like 300cc, 650cc, 900cc), and refine them at their current size..?

Because if you have a 790, now you want an 890 ;D.    I think it's half marketing, half engineering.   
Mr Pickypants

Offline dirtyjeffer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +296/-1312
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2021 Toyota Venza Limited, 2016 Kia Sorento EX AWD
« Reply #1361 on: April 03, 2020, 05:15:42 pm »
Does anyone else find the constant adding CC's weird? They announced development of the 890 soon after the 790 launched.  Then it will be the 990 again, and they will start with another smaller one. 

For all manufacturers, why not just define a few key displacements (like 300cc, 650cc, 900cc), and refine them at their current size..?
it likely also depends on the markets...small bikes don't sell well here...in other parts of the world (Asian markets, for example) those bikes dominate.
When you've lost the argument, admit defeat and hit the smite button.

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1424/-2121
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2020 Toyota Tundra, 2021 Lexus GX460, 2018 Kawasaki Versys X300
« Reply #1362 on: April 03, 2020, 05:31:36 pm »

it likely also depends on the markets...small bikes don't sell well here...in other parts of the world (Asian markets, for example) those bikes dominate.

Oh yeah, in asia my bike would be considered "big". They make a 250 Vstrom as well for those markets.

Because if you have a 790, now you want an 890 ;D.    I think it's half marketing, half engineering.   

This is the reason right here!!
Lighten up Francis.....

Offline rrocket

• Carma: +1254/-7210
    • View Profile
« Reply #1363 on: April 03, 2020, 05:43:23 pm »

Oh yeah, in asia my bike would be considered "big". They make a 250 Vstrom as well for those markets.

I can only comment on KTMs reasoning. They always have a goal or vision for their "R" model. And during development their vision couldn't be reached with the 790cc mill. So they decided to have the 890 for the R model.

How true is that? Beats me...but they said it fairly early on.
How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

Offline BWII

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +188/-376
    • View Profile
« Reply #1364 on: April 04, 2020, 03:29:59 pm »
Geez...this is a lot of bike for the money.  2020 KTM 890 Duke R.  120HP, 366 lbs. High quality Brembos and fully adjustable suspension.  $12,500 CDN.

Hot diggity!  Wow that's pretty.  I like your taste.  ;D  (in bikes, duh)  So, are KTMs good bikes? 

Offline Triple Bob

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +308/-574
  • Profesional Dash Stroker
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Tundra, GTI, Triumph Tiger, KTM, C63 AMG, FZ-09, Triumph Speed Triple, VW Golf Wagon TDI, BMW 535i, Honda CRF250L, Hyundai Genesis Coupe, Mitsubishi Outlander, Lotus Exige, Subaru Impreza, Peugeot 106, BMW Z4, Toyota MR2 MKIII, Ford Sierra Sapphire
« Reply #1365 on: April 06, 2020, 10:07:46 pm »

I can only comment on KTMs reasoning. They always have a goal or vision for their "R" model. And during development their vision couldn't be reached with the 790cc mill. So they decided to have the 890 for the R model.

That can't be true every couple of years, it just keeps going!

Choosing a car based on reliability is like choosing a wife based solely because she is punctual. There is more to it than that...

Offline rrocket

• View Profile
« Reply #1366 on: April 06, 2020, 10:13:25 pm »

Oh...well yea, every few years all the manufacturers jump into a new "class"...usually depending on what consumers want...or trying to inject new excitement into a class that was lagging. As far as KTM goes, they've always had odd-ball engine displacements relative to the classes. (150cc, 300cc, 380cc, 390cc, 450, 520, 535, 550, 625, 640, 690, 950, 990 etc etc),

I'm old enough to remember when the hottest class was the 250cc and 400cc classes.  They got all the goodies before the bigger bikes did....with price tags to match.  Then the 750cc was the market darling class.  Then 1000s became lightweight...new interest.  Then the 600s came on hard...and no more 750cc class to speak of.  Etc etc etc

As you point out, it's perpetually changing.

**EDIT**

Here's somewhat of a blurb about the 790 vs 890.  I don't know where I read it originally.  But it was along these same lines.  This is from CW.

In fact, the 890 project dates back to 2012 when KTM engineers first began work on creating the LC8c parallel-twin motor. “We always intended to develop a 790 Duke R, which was in our planning from the start,” states Sinke. “But then during the development program it got to the point that we weren’t happy with our prototype of this—it wasn’t enough R, not enough KTM. So we decided to produce just the 790 Duke to start with, and then go full attack on the R, and make it what we believe a KTM Duke R should be, if necessary with a bigger engine. So we basically tore up the spec sheet of the original, and went back to the drawing board to figure out how far we could take that engine and that chassis—and the 890 Duke R is the result.”

« Last Edit: April 06, 2020, 10:19:40 pm by rrocket »

Offline Triple Bob

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Tundra, GTI, Triumph Tiger, KTM, C63 AMG, FZ-09, Triumph Speed Triple, VW Golf Wagon TDI, BMW 535i, Honda CRF250L, Hyundai Genesis Coupe, Mitsubishi Outlander, Lotus Exige, Subaru Impreza, Peugeot 106, BMW Z4, Toyota MR2 MKIII, Ford Sierra Sapphire
« Reply #1367 on: April 06, 2020, 10:21:52 pm »

Oh...well yea, every few years all the manufacturers jump into a new "class"...usually depending on what consumers want...or trying to inject new excitement into a class that was lagging. As far as KTM goes, they've always had odd-ball engine displacements relative to the classes. (150cc, 300cc, 380cc, 390cc, 450, 520, 535, 550, 625, 640, 690, 950, 990 etc etc),

I'm old enough to remember when the hottest class was the 250cc and 400cc classes.  They got all the goodies before the bigger bikes did....with price tags to match.  Then the 750cc was the market darling class.  Then 1000s became lightweight...new interest.  Then the 600s came on hard...and no more 750cc class to speak of.  Etc etc etc

As you point out, it's perpetually changing.

**EDIT**

Here's somewhat of a blurb about the 790 vs 890.  I don't know where I read it originally.  But it was along these same lines.  This is from CW.

In fact, the 890 project dates back to 2012 when KTM engineers first began work on creating the LC8c parallel-twin motor. “We always intended to develop a 790 Duke R, which was in our planning from the start,” states Sinke. “But then during the development program it got to the point that we weren’t happy with our prototype of this—it wasn’t enough R, not enough KTM. So we decided to produce just the 790 Duke to start with, and then go full attack on the R, and make it what we believe a KTM Duke R should be, if necessary with a bigger engine. So we basically tore up the spec sheet of the original, and went back to the drawing board to figure out how far we could take that engine and that chassis—and the 890 Duke R is the result.”

Interested to see what the 890 Adv R will look like.  I just hope the gas tank doesn't look as errm, testicular..?

Offline ktm525

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +117/-442
  • Just walk away!
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Land Rover LR4, Honda Ridgeline, Husqvarna FE501
« Reply #1368 on: April 06, 2020, 10:26:02 pm »
KTM is worse than that. I have owned a KTM 520, 525, 530, they make a current 500 and I have a Husky FE501. The engine displacement on all have been the same at 510cc. How does that make any sense?

Offline rrocket

• View Profile
« Reply #1369 on: April 06, 2020, 10:26:57 pm »

Interested to see what the 890 Adv R will look like.  I just hope the gas tank doesn't look as errm, testicular..?

Are they doing an 890 Adventure R??  Because they already have the 790R.

What do you mean testicular? 

Offline rrocket

• View Profile
« Reply #1370 on: April 06, 2020, 10:28:30 pm »
KTM is worse than that. I have owned a KTM 520, 525, 530, they make a current 500 and I have a Husky FE501. The engine displacement on all have been the same at 510cc. How does that make any sense?

It doesn't?

Just like all the car companies...particularly the euro ones I think are the worst offenders.

Offline Triple Bob

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #1371 on: April 06, 2020, 10:30:22 pm »

Are they doing an 890 Adventure R??  Because they already have the 790R.

What do you mean testicular?

No one is going to buy the 790 knowing there will be an 890 replacing it soon.

To keep the COG low the 790 gas tank hangs over the bike like a big pair of black plastic balls.

As much as I appreciate what it does for the handling, I hate the look.

Offline rrocket

• View Profile
« Reply #1372 on: April 06, 2020, 10:34:38 pm »
Oh OK...gotcha.  Ya, it's an intelligent design...but not terribly aesthetic.  My concern would be puncturing it TBH. 

When people would talk about testicular gas tanks "back in the day", it usually meant the seating arrangement/gas tanks weren't ideal and you'd smash your nads into the gas tank on hard braking.   :rofl: :rofl2:

« Last Edit: April 06, 2020, 10:37:04 pm by rrocket »

Offline Triple Bob

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #1373 on: April 06, 2020, 10:39:28 pm »
Oh OK...gotcha.  Ya, it's an intelligent design...but not terribly aesthetic.  My concern would be puncturing it TBH. 

When people would talk about testicular gas tanks "back in the day", it usually meant the seating arrangement/gas tanks weren't ideal and you'd smash your nads into the gas tank on hard braking.   :rofl: :rofl2:

LOL. Yep, I'm still saving up for a Tiger 900.

Offline rrocket

• View Profile
« Reply #1374 on: April 06, 2020, 10:52:37 pm »

Just for aesthetic reasons?  Or always like Triumph (fan boy)?

I only ask because the 900 makes slightly less power, has less suspension and weighs more than the 790...3 reasonably important metrics for an Adv.  Plus it costs more.  Wonder if more costly to insure too...because of CC?

Just wondering is all...BTW....did you watch the season opener for Moto2??  All running triple cylinder Triumphs now...are LOUD and sound spectacular!!
« Last Edit: April 06, 2020, 10:56:16 pm by rrocket »

Offline Guy

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +480/-1198
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2021 Mustang Mach-E Premium, 2019 Volvo XC40 Momentum
« Reply #1375 on: April 07, 2020, 06:28:08 am »

Or the fuel cap in the days, AKA the gonad gouger.  ;D

Offline dirtyjeffer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +296/-1312
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2021 Toyota Venza Limited, 2016 Kia Sorento EX AWD
« Reply #1376 on: April 07, 2020, 10:39:11 am »
looks like BMW has launched the R18 now:

https://www.bmw-motorrad.ca/en/models/heritage/r18.html

Offline Triple Bob

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #1377 on: April 07, 2020, 12:12:34 pm »
looks like BMW has launched the R18 now:

https://www.bmw-motorrad.ca/en/models/heritage/r18.html

Crikey, do you want some bike with your exhaust..?

Offline Triple Bob

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #1378 on: April 07, 2020, 12:16:10 pm »

Just for aesthetic reasons?  Or always like Triumph (fan boy)?

I only ask because the 900 makes slightly less power, has less suspension and weighs more than the 790...3 reasonably important metrics for an Adv.  Plus it costs more.  Wonder if more costly to insure too...because of CC?

Just wondering is all...BTW....did you watch the season opener for Moto2??  All running triple cylinder Triumphs now...are LOUD and sound spectacular!!

I don't need more power, the suspension is still great, and the weight is also fine. I want something that is a really good 80/20 road/off bike, and that is also comfortable for touring, two up. The KTM is arguably better off-road, but I don't need that, I still have the CRF250L. The KTM has many fans, as it's a good bike, not disputing that. It's just not what I want. I believe the Triumph is the better all rounder with a road bias.

Offline dkaz

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +289/-389
  • Flip flop
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 12 Mazda 5 GT 6MT
« Reply #1379 on: April 07, 2020, 12:25:01 pm »
2016 with 1500km. Owner scared himself  and wisely got rid of it.
Friend: I could never ride a motorcycle, it would be too fast and I would kill myself.

Me: You could ride something sensible like a 500 or 650.

Friend: Then what’s the point?