Author Topic: What Motorcycle Have You Been Obsessing About Today?  (Read 562313 times)

Offline blur911

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +244/-779
  • Nasty Weasel
    • View Profile
  • Cars: and bikes by age:Honda, BMW, Porsche, Subaru, Suzuki, Suzuki, Mazda, Jaguar, Kawasaki, Porsche, GMC, Suzuki
Re: What Motorcycle Have You Been Obsessing About Today?
« Reply #1280 on: December 01, 2019, 07:55:25 pm »
Yeah, they are also 500 lbs.  The V stroms are always good value. In 8 years you can look for a creampuff KTM 790

That is kinda my thinking.   
I like how reliable the V-stroms seem to be.
Mr Pickypants

Offline rrocket

• Carma: +1254/-7214
    • View Profile
« Reply #1281 on: December 01, 2019, 08:13:58 pm »
Yeah, they are also 500 lbs.  The V stroms are always good value. In 8 years you can look for a creampuff KTM 790

That is kinda my thinking.   
I like how reliable the V-stroms seem to be.
Sound really good piped too!
How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

Offline dkaz

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +289/-389
  • Flip flop
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 12 Mazda 5 GT 6MT
« Reply #1282 on: December 01, 2019, 09:16:55 pm »
Nice it has ABS. Can it be disabled for off-roading?

Offline rrocket

• View Profile
« Reply #1283 on: December 08, 2019, 08:16:10 pm »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ba6EAwQpNTk

OMG new V-strom, love it!... and some eye candy

BTW I had a DRZ400 S 2005 when i was in my 20s  modified injector and yosh pipe.  it's a nice bike but I would rather now buy either a real dirtbike or V strom for road(or similar).   super moto maybe a KTM
Can still buy the DRZ supermoto new....

But yea, an older KTM 690 SM/SMR is a hoot!

Offline rrocket

• View Profile
« Reply #1284 on: December 08, 2019, 08:32:30 pm »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ba6EAwQpNTk

OMG new V-strom, love it!... and some eye candy

BTW I had a DRZ400 S 2005 when i was in my 20s  modified injector and yosh pipe.  it's a nice bike but I would rather now buy either a real dirtbike or V strom for road(or similar).   super moto maybe a KTM
Can still buy the DRZ supermoto new....

But yea, an older KTM 690 SM/SMR is a hoot!

Ya more powaaa
And the new. 690 SM has even more! But $13k is a bit steep

Offline blur911

• Car Crazy
  • Nasty Weasel
    • View Profile
  • Cars: and bikes by age:Honda, BMW, Porsche, Subaru, Suzuki, Suzuki, Mazda, Jaguar, Kawasaki, Porsche, GMC, Suzuki
« Reply #1285 on: December 08, 2019, 08:32:56 pm »
Nice it has ABS. Can it be disabled for off-roading?

Apparently not with a switch, but you can pull the fuse and add a switch to it if you wish.   V-strom isn't really an off-road bike, more like it can do gravel and trails.

The guy trading his still has it on Kijiji, said he was considering a trade for a DRZ.   I'm too far to go look and my enclosed trailer is full of furniture and junk for the winter.  Told him if he still has it in the spring I'd meet him halfway, maybe at the RoyalDistributing tent sale.   See how that goes, or not.

Offline ktm525

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +117/-442
  • Just walk away!
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Land Rover LR4, Honda Ridgeline, Husqvarna FE501
« Reply #1286 on: December 09, 2019, 10:33:20 am »
Ahh yes the Husky version of the KTM. Do it..

Best way to approach this one is to let first owner having a mid life crisis to purchase, spend money on all the farkles and then sell it after the first season with about 4000km because the epic adventure trip was not his cup of tea. You buy for for 70% on the bike and less than 50% on the "accessories" if not 0.

New dressed out this thing is going to be $20k.

« Last Edit: December 09, 2019, 10:38:20 am by ktm525 »

Offline blur911

• Car Crazy
  • Nasty Weasel
    • View Profile
« Reply #1287 on: December 09, 2019, 10:43:46 am »

Best way to approach this one is to let first owner having a mid life crisis to purchase, spend money on all the farkles and then sell it after the first season with about 4000km because the epic adventure trip was not his cup of tea. You buy for for 70% on the bike and less than 50% on the "accessories" if not 0.

That's always been my ideal method of purchasing.   You can often find two or three year old bikes that are barely broken in, like my DRZ was

Offline dirtyjeffer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +296/-1312
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2021 Toyota Venza Limited, 2016 Kia Sorento EX AWD
« Reply #1288 on: December 09, 2019, 11:12:25 am »
there are no Huskies around these parts. :(
When you've lost the argument, admit defeat and hit the smite button.

Offline Arthur Dent

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +186/-80
  • 42?
    • View Profile
« Reply #1289 on: December 09, 2019, 11:13:05 am »

Fly and buy road trip!

Offline blur911

• Car Crazy
  • Nasty Weasel
    • View Profile
« Reply #1290 on: December 09, 2019, 11:22:12 am »

Like, in your neighbourhood?

Pretty sure I can find a bike or two in Ontario

Offline ktm525

• Car Crazy
  • Just walk away!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1291 on: December 09, 2019, 01:50:16 pm »

That is too bad. I try to support mine by offering them a ROFR on my online parts orders. I send them a screen capture of my fortnine order and if they can match; great.

Offline dirtyjeffer

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #1292 on: December 09, 2019, 02:12:05 pm »

i've NEVER seen on the road (can't say about off road, because i'm not off road to see them)...there's no dealer anywhere near here, so the likelihood of seeing something relatively "newish" is pretty low...can't buy close, can't service close, so that's likely why i've never seen one.

Offline blur911

• Car Crazy
  • Nasty Weasel
    • View Profile
« Reply #1293 on: December 09, 2019, 04:08:33 pm »

i've NEVER seen on the road (can't say about off road, because i'm not off road to see them)...there's no dealer anywhere near here, so the likelihood of seeing something relatively "newish" is pretty low...can't buy close, can't service close, so that's likely why i've never seen one.

Where are you?   There's a Husqvarna dealer in Guelph
They are pretty rare on city streets as they are  mostly an off-road motorcycle company, you have to get out in the sticks.   
 I don't have  a Suzuki dealer within almost an hours drive, but there are plenty of Suzukis about, 2 or 3 in my garage, same with BMW, Kawasaki, Triumph, Ducati, KTM, etc., there are no local dealers but that doesn't stop anyone from owning one.

Offline dirtyjeffer

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #1294 on: December 09, 2019, 04:21:07 pm »

They are pretty rare on city streets as they are  mostly an off-road motorcycle company, you have to get out in the sticks.   
 I don't have  a Suzuki dealer within almost an hours drive, but there are plenty of Suzukis about, 2 or 3 in my garage, same with BMW, Kawasaki, Triumph, Ducati, KTM, etc., there are no local dealers but that doesn't stop anyone from owning one.
London...Guelph is about an hour away...it's not the other side of the world by any means, but if it's not sold here, most people won't buy it...KTM is the same way, although there is a KTM dealer in Exeter and another in Tillsonburg...i don't really understand why there isn't a Husq/KTM dealer in London, we're certainly big enough (if those other locations have them).

Offline blur911

• Car Crazy
  • Nasty Weasel
    • View Profile
« Reply #1295 on: December 09, 2019, 06:22:31 pm »

London...Guelph is about an hour away...it's not the other side of the world by any means, but if it's not sold here, most people won't buy it...KTM is the same way, although there is a KTM dealer in Exeter and another in Tillsonburg...i don't really understand why there isn't a Husq/KTM dealer in London, we're certainly big enough (if those other locations have them).

Quite a few motorcycle dealers have disappeared throughout Ontario in the last 20 years.   There might have been a more local dealer but it's now gone?   

Offline dirtyjeffer

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #1296 on: December 09, 2019, 06:34:23 pm »
Quite a few motorcycle dealers have disappeared throughout Ontario in the last 20 years.   There might have been a more local dealer but it's now gone?
a few have gone away, but i've never seen one here...there's still 4 here, and they are decent in size.

Rocky's Harley Davidson (Harleys, obviously)...decent size, moved locations a few times over the years but been here for decades, sells a lot of bikes).
Hully Gully (Honda, Yamaha, Suzuki plus jet skis, boats, ATVs, etc)...the biggest deal in town, been around for decades (bought my first bike from them).
Inglis Cylce (Kawasaki, Yamaha, Triumph, Suzuki)...also been around for decades, used to sell the Italian stuff but dropped (Aprilia, Moto Guzzi, Ducati, Vespa).
Wolf Motorcycles (BMW, Indian, Slingshot)...smallest shop that only sold BMW, recently added Indian and opened a new store that is now about 6 times larger.

any one of these shops could carry the KTM or Husqvarna line up, but none do...i have no idea why.

Offline rrocket

• View Profile
« Reply #1297 on: December 09, 2019, 06:38:32 pm »
^^Inglis used to carry KTM.  I got one from there once.  Also, right close to a cookie factory...so it smelled delightful there!

Now there's 2 other places very near London that carry KTM... Country Corners and Chesterman.

I used Chesterman.  Owners is also a huge car guy...and is bananas for Honda S2000s. 

Father/son company.

FWIW, I used to race motocross in Tillsonburg at a track called "Big Ben".
« Last Edit: December 09, 2019, 06:43:36 pm by rrocket »

Offline ktm525

• Car Crazy
  • Just walk away!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1298 on: December 10, 2019, 12:54:15 am »
here in AB the KTM and Husky franchises are seperate. There three shops carrying KTM in Calgary and two Husky dealers. Huskys are basically just KTMs with some farkles so there is nothing a KTM dealer couldn't handle on a Husky and vs versa.

Offline dirtyjeffer

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #1299 on: December 10, 2019, 07:19:11 am »
here in AB the KTM and Husky franchises are seperate. There three shops carrying KTM in Calgary and two Husky dealers. Huskys are basically just KTMs with some farkles so there is nothing a KTM dealer couldn't handle on a Husky and vs versa.
yea, i honestly can't explain why there isn't a dealer in town.