Author Topic: What Motorcycle Have You Been Obsessing About Today?  (Read 535084 times)

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1424/-2121
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2020 Toyota Tundra, 2021 Lexus GX460, 2018 Kawasaki Versys X300
Re: What Motorcycle Have You Been Obsessing About Today?
« Reply #1380 on: April 07, 2020, 12:37:34 pm »
2016 with 1500km. Owner scared himself  and wisely got rid of it.
Friend: I could never ride a motorcycle, it would be too fast and I would kill myself.

Me: You could ride something sensible like a 500 or 650.

Friend: Then what’s the point?

The amount of that kind of thinking I saw on forums is scary. There are some out there that think a 600 or 650 is basically a glorified scooter that will not keep up to joggers.....I believe these people have never been on a motorcycle.
Lighten up Francis.....

Offline ktm525

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +117/-442
  • Just walk away!
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Land Rover LR4, Honda Ridgeline, Husqvarna FE501
« Reply #1381 on: April 07, 2020, 01:42:54 pm »
Oh OK...gotcha.  Ya, it's an intelligent design...but not terribly aesthetic.  My concern would be puncturing it TBH. 

When people would talk about testicular gas tanks "back in the day", it usually meant the seating arrangement/gas tanks weren't ideal and you'd smash your nads into the gas tank on hard braking.   :rofl: :rofl2:

LOL. Yep, I'm still saving up for a Tiger 900.

Just for aesthetic reasons?  Or always like Triumph (fan boy)?

I only ask because the 900 makes slightly less power, has less suspension and weighs more than the 790...3 reasonably important metrics for an Adv.  Plus it costs more.  Wonder if more costly to insure too...because of CC?

Just wondering is all...BTW....did you watch the season opener for Moto2??  All running triple cylinder Triumphs now...are LOUD and sound spectacular!!

I don't need more power, the suspension is still great, and the weight is also fine. I want something that is a really good 80/20 road/off bike, and that is also comfortable for touring, two up. The KTM is arguably better off-road, but I don't need that, I still have the CRF250L. The KTM has many fans, as it's a good bike, not disputing that. It's just not what I want. I believe the Triumph is the better all rounder with a road bias.

Yamaha Tenere 700?  Looks to be a lot of value.

« Last Edit: April 07, 2020, 01:47:44 pm by ktm525 »

Offline dirtyjeffer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +296/-1312
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2021 Toyota Venza Limited, 2016 Kia Sorento EX AWD
« Reply #1382 on: April 07, 2020, 01:44:24 pm »
looks like BMW has launched the R18 now:

https://www.bmw-motorrad.ca/en/models/heritage/r18.html

Crikey, do you want some bike with your exhaust..?
yea, looks a bit goofy to me...if i were buying one (i'm not), the first thing i'd hit would be the aftermarket for a replacement...keep in mind, the pipes are going to be a decent size, the engine is 1802 cc, so there's a couple of big jugs there.  ;D
When you've lost the argument, admit defeat and hit the smite button.

Offline Triple Bob

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +308/-574
  • Profesional Dash Stroker
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Tundra, GTI, Triumph Tiger, KTM, C63 AMG, FZ-09, Triumph Speed Triple, VW Golf Wagon TDI, BMW 535i, Honda CRF250L, Hyundai Genesis Coupe, Mitsubishi Outlander, Lotus Exige, Subaru Impreza, Peugeot 106, BMW Z4, Toyota MR2 MKIII, Ford Sierra Sapphire
« Reply #1383 on: April 07, 2020, 03:27:17 pm »
Oh OK...gotcha.  Ya, it's an intelligent design...but not terribly aesthetic.  My concern would be puncturing it TBH. 

When people would talk about testicular gas tanks "back in the day", it usually meant the seating arrangement/gas tanks weren't ideal and you'd smash your nads into the gas tank on hard braking.   :rofl: :rofl2:

I only ask because the 900 makes slightly less power, has less suspension and weighs more than the 790...3 reasonably important metrics for an Adv.  Plus it costs more.  Wonder if more costly to insure too...because of CC?

Just wondering is all...BTW....did you watch the season opener for Moto2??  All running triple cylinder Triumphs now...are LOUD and sound spectacular!!

I don't need more power, the suspension is still great, and the weight is also fine. I want something that is a really good 80/20 road/off bike, and that is also comfortable for touring, two up. The KTM is arguably better off-road, but I don't need that, I still have the CRF250L. The KTM has many fans, as it's a good bike, not disputing that. It's just not what I want. I believe the Triumph is the better all rounder with a road bias.

Is that a question for me? I've already made up my mind, the Triumph is a really great bike, and matches exactly what I want/need.

No doubt the Yammy is too, but it's not what I'm looking for.

Choosing a car based on reliability is like choosing a wife based solely because she is punctual. There is more to it than that...

Offline rrocket

• Carma: +1254/-7210
    • View Profile
« Reply #1384 on: April 07, 2020, 03:33:29 pm »

Is that a question for me? I've already made up my mind, the Triumph is a really great bike, and matches exactly what I want/need.

Ok, now that it's settled, which version will you get?

Regular, GT or Rally?
How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

Offline ktm525

• Car Crazy
  • Just walk away!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1385 on: April 07, 2020, 03:37:44 pm »
It's never a done deal until you sign! ;D Actually the Tiger doesn't look like too much of a pig, 194 kg dry is respectable. especially for a triple. How is Triumph's reliability?

Offline dkaz

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +289/-389
  • Flip flop
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 12 Mazda 5 GT 6MT
« Reply #1386 on: April 07, 2020, 04:17:45 pm »
2016 with 1500km. Owner scared himself  and wisely got rid of it.
Friend: I could never ride a motorcycle, it would be too fast and I would kill myself.

Me: You could ride something sensible like a 500 or 650.

Friend: Then what’s the point?

The amount of that kind of thinking I saw on forums is scary. There are some out there that think a 600 or 650 is basically a glorified scooter that will not keep up to joggers.....I believe these people have never been on a motorcycle.

Yep. A Burgman 650 is a glorified scooter, literally. In terms of acceleration and top speed, it's like a Mazda 3 with the 2.0L engine. A motorcycle 650 will do 0-60 in the 4-5 second range and top out close to 200 km/h. A 600 makes over 100 HP and is insane in terms of acceleration and top speed. Not litre bike insane but still insane.   

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #1387 on: April 07, 2020, 04:26:08 pm »
I don't get how someone can consider a 600cc crotch rocket "slow" or "underpowered". Are they not as fast in a straight line as a liter bike, no, are they faster than 99.7% of the boring, transportation boxes people get around in, absofreakinglutely. I've never ridden one but watching the speed they can gather when they pass a line of cars on a dual lane highway, slow they are not.

Offline rrocket

• View Profile
« Reply #1388 on: April 07, 2020, 04:37:54 pm »
I don't get how someone can consider a 600cc crotch rocket "slow" or "underpowered". Are they not as fast in a straight line as a liter bike, no, are they faster than 99.7% of the boring, transportation boxes people get around in, absofreakinglutely. I've never ridden one but watching the speed they can gather when they pass a line of cars on a dual lane highway, slow they are not.

600cc bikes run high 10s, low 11s in the 1/4 mile to give an idea of acceleration.

That's supercar territory.

So no...they definitely aren't slow.

I just hate their peaky power delivery on the street...
« Last Edit: April 07, 2020, 04:40:20 pm by rrocket »

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #1389 on: April 07, 2020, 04:44:02 pm »

600cc bikes run high 10s, low 11s in the 1/4 mile to give an idea of acceleration.

Well in that vein, Ferraris and Zondas aren't known for their stump, trailer pulling, off the line torque either. High performance =/= good streetability.

Offline rrocket

• View Profile
« Reply #1390 on: April 07, 2020, 04:49:49 pm »

Well in that vein, Ferraris and Zondas aren't known for their stump, trailer pulling, off the line torque either. High performance =/= good streetability.

I think my 690 was about as "perfect" as a streetbike I've owned.

The current version:

0-60 in 3.3 seconds.
1/4 mile 12 flat.

And fantastic power delivery/torque for the street..super light, super agile, stupendous brakes, etc

My favorite street bike thus far....bar none.

Offline dirtyjeffer

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #1391 on: April 07, 2020, 11:01:40 pm »

The current version:

0-60 in 3.3 seconds.
1/4 mile 12 flat.

And fantastic power delivery/torque for the street..super light, super agile, stupendous brakes, etc

sounds like you need a Duke 890R.  ;D

Offline rrocket

• View Profile
« Reply #1392 on: April 07, 2020, 11:14:43 pm »

The current version:

0-60 in 3.3 seconds.
1/4 mile 12 flat.

sounds like you need a Duke 890R.  ;D

Might be too crazy for the type of riding I like to do.

Which is why I'm stoked for the 490 SM/Duke.

But if those don't pan out....I'd surely take an 890R

Offline dirtyjeffer

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #1393 on: April 08, 2020, 08:22:12 am »
Might be too crazy for the type of riding I like to do.

Which is why I'm stoked for the 490 SM/Duke.

But if those don't pan out....I'd surely take an 890R
i'd only ever use a bike as a commuter, so something like a 490 would be sweet for me...looks like it will have about 60 HP.

Offline DriverJeff

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +181/-628
    • View Profile
    • Echo Bay Media
  • Cars: Whatever I'm assigned for the week + '13 Lexus GX460, '86 Toyota MR2, '18 Kawasaki Z900RS SE, 2021 Jeep Wrangler (GF's)
« Reply #1394 on: April 08, 2020, 12:00:21 pm »

Join the club, Rrocket.  I've been asking TripleBob that for months now.  Ya just can't help some people.  ;)  As much as I am a Triumph fan (for better or worse), my experience riding around on a KTM 1090 in the Middle East made me really appreciate how great those ADV bikes as all-round touring machines.  It was amazingly fast (and handled way better than expected) in the twisty mountain roads, but also kept me from launching myself into the stratosphere when I hit a few sand dunes that blew across the road.  Amazing machines. 

https://canadamotoguide.com/2018/07/06/riding-jordan-lessons-learned-amid-the-chaos/

and my brother's account of the event too:

https://canadamotoguide.com/2018/07/04/riding-jordan/

and come to think of it, my experience with the BMW S1000XR on a long trip (fraught with serious weather) was also excellent.  Hmm... maybe there's something to these ADV bikes after all...   

https://canadamotoguide.com/2016/10/07/ride-review-bmw-s1000xr-into-the-eye-of-the-storm/

The past:00 BMW M Rdstr, 19 Jetta, 15 Ducati Scrambler, 09 Triumph Bonneville, 98 Boxster, 17 Kawi Z900, 05 LS 430, 99 LS 400, 17 Subaru STI, 14 Triumph STR, 15 WRX, 09 Ducati Monster 1100,  08 335i, 06 Suzuki SV650S, 06 330i, 06 MX-5, 04 Audi A4, 03 Suzuki SV650S, 98 328i, 93 Civic Si, 85 Corolla

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #1395 on: April 08, 2020, 12:24:41 pm »
To me, the ADV sector is where its at. Such versatile machines, one day I will buy a proper big boy BMW/KTM/Honda

Offline ktm525

• Car Crazy
  • Just walk away!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1396 on: April 08, 2020, 12:59:12 pm »
To me, the ADV sector is where its at. Such versatile machines, one day I will buy a proper big boy BMW/KTM/Honda

You must resist. Channel your inner Colin Chapman "Simplify and then add lightness". There is little adventure in big ADV bikes, especially if you dump it and can't pick it up... Your current bike is perfect.

Offline Triple Bob

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +308/-574
  • Profesional Dash Stroker
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Tundra, GTI, Triumph Tiger, KTM, C63 AMG, FZ-09, Triumph Speed Triple, VW Golf Wagon TDI, BMW 535i, Honda CRF250L, Hyundai Genesis Coupe, Mitsubishi Outlander, Lotus Exige, Subaru Impreza, Peugeot 106, BMW Z4, Toyota MR2 MKIII, Ford Sierra Sapphire
« Reply #1397 on: April 08, 2020, 02:11:55 pm »

Regular, GT or Rally?

Rally Pro.

KTM's are great bikes, (to be fair, most bikes these days are really good) but no one can objectively argue that the 790 is a better fit for what I have already stated above.

Offline rrocket

• View Profile
« Reply #1398 on: April 08, 2020, 05:06:21 pm »

Regular, GT or Rally?

Rally Pro.

KTM's are great bikes, (to be fair, most bikes these days are really good) but no one can objectively argue that the 790 is a better fit for what I have already stated above.

I thought you wanted 80/20??  Would seem the GT might be better suited to that than the off-road oriented Rally.

Offline Guy

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +480/-1198
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2021 Mustang Mach-E Premium, 2019 Volvo XC40 Momentum
« Reply #1399 on: April 08, 2020, 05:17:52 pm »

You must resist. Channel your inner Colin Chapman "Simplify and then add lightness". There is little adventure in big ADV bikes, especially if you dump it and can't pick it up... Your current bike is perfect.

Dump and can't pick it up? With the proper technique it doable to pick most bikes. I'm not Mr Muscle and I did pick up my Super Tenere last summer when I dropped it manoeuvering on grass. It's no lightweight and tall which does not help.