Author Topic: Feature: Winter Tires vs. All-Season Tires  (Read 70593 times)

Offline dkaz

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +290/-389
  • Flip flop
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 12 Mazda 5 GT 6MT
Re: Feature: Winter Tires vs. All-Season Tires
« Reply #80 on: December 24, 2012, 03:42:32 am »
Vancouver had a couple of cm of snow and jerks were clogging up the roads with their stuck @$$ cars.

Vancouver - bought a luxury car, couldn't afford winter tires.

Offline Rupert

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +49/-160
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: December 24, 2012, 09:51:38 am »
Is a day or two of difficulty worth all of the angst. We have not had any snow this winter either (Toronto). There was a full page add in the Star for a Hankook tire that was seemingly good for winter and the rest of the year. Not sure about the snowflake. Is this an option for infrequent need.

Offline Scarecrow

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +41/-17
  • Cars on the brain
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Mazda6, Mazda MX-5 Miata (sold), Shelby 427S/C Cobra, Triumph Tiger 750
« Reply #82 on: December 24, 2012, 10:06:10 am »
Is a day or two of difficulty worth all of the angst. We have not had any snow this winter either (Toronto). There was a full page add in the Star for a Hankook tire that was seemingly good for winter and the rest of the year. Not sure about the snowflake. Is this an option for infrequent need.

Yes.  All-season tires.  For a lot of people and places in Canada, they'll do just fine.
"Anyone who drives faster than you is a Maniac,
and anyone who drives slower is an Idiot." - George Carlin

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1424/-2123
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2020 Toyota Tundra, 2021 Lexus GX460, 2018 Kawasaki Versys X300
« Reply #83 on: December 24, 2012, 10:18:58 am »
Vancouver had a couple of cm of snow and jerks were clogging up the roads with their stuck @$$ cars.

Vancouver - bought a luxury car, couldn't afford winter tires.

Thats what it is around here, morons that cant turn left across traffic, merge, change lanes or go down a secondary street because their cheap a$$ all seasons provide no traction. For around here, Id say snow tires are a great investment.
Lighten up Francis.....

Offline sailor723

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +417/-1000
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '17 BMW X5 Xdrive35i, '11 BMW 328iXdrive,
« Reply #84 on: December 24, 2012, 11:57:50 am »
What gets me is when you're  number three at a red light and don't get through on the next green because the two guys ahead of you took so long to spin their way through the intersection. >:(
Old Jag convertible...one itch I won't have to scratch again.

Offline aquadorhj

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +271/-265
    • View Profile
  • Cars: MB SLK 55, Lexus NX, E46 M3, Honda Fit, VW Jetta, VW Rabbit, Saturn SC, Nissan NX,
« Reply #85 on: December 24, 2012, 12:32:47 pm »
What gets me is when you're  number three at a red light and don't get through on the next green because the two guys ahead of you took so long to spin their way through the intersection. >:(

I sometimes feel guilty about that..  both the rabbit and bimmer, shod with Pirelli SottoZero's, takes a while to take off when it's ice underneath..  :(   

Driving thrills makes my wallet lighter.. and therefore makes me faster because i'm shedding weight... :D

Offline nlm

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +58/-82
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: December 24, 2012, 12:41:19 pm »

Depends on your philosophy in life. Do you buy your insurance coverage based on frequency?

Offline nlm

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +58/-82
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: December 24, 2012, 12:45:58 pm »
For around here, Id say snow tires are a great investment.

I also look at winters tires as insurance in that you are provided the ability to stop relatively shorter and manouvere relatively better than all-seaons when you need it all other things being equal.

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: December 24, 2012, 12:51:50 pm »
For around here, Id say snow tires are a great investment.

I also look at winters tires as insurance in that you are provided the ability to stop relatively shorter and manouvere relatively better than all-seaons when you need it all other things being equal.

Well yeah, steering around or stopping before something is always preferential to hitting something.  ;D

Offline Snowman

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +702/-1347
  • “It’s never crowded along the extra mile.”
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Cars: 2012 Audi TT-RS. 2011 Toyota Venza AWD.2004 Honda S2000 Bikes: Giant Defy Avdvanced 0. Giant Talon 29 "hardtail"
« Reply #89 on: December 24, 2012, 01:17:42 pm »
On boxing day we are driving to a family GTG up in the north country near Guelph  :P the forecast is calling for snow and if I spent $2000 on winter tires for that one day to transport my family then it is worth every penny.

Offline johngenx

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +758/-938
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2009 Toyota Corolla, 2004 Toyota Highlander V-6 4WD, 2001 Subaru Forester, 1994 Mazda Miata
« Reply #90 on: December 25, 2012, 12:44:16 am »
On boxing day we are driving to a family GTG up in the north country near Guelph  :P the forecast is calling for snow and if I spent $2000 on winter tires for that one day to transport my family then it is worth every penny.

This.  We made an 850km drive to Kamloops on atrocious roads safely with the Blizzaks playing a big part.  If that was the only time all winter I needed those tires, it was worth it.  From black ice to fresh snow to slush, we saw it all.  How sure footed was the Scoob?  The missus used her iPad and the kid watched some movies and they were pretty much oblivious to the horrible roads save for noticing the massive number of cars off the road.

Northernridge

« Reply #91 on: December 25, 2012, 01:31:33 am »

This.  We made an 850km drive to Kamloops on atrocious roads safely with the Blizzaks playing a big part.  If that was the only time all winter I needed those tires, it was worth it.  From black ice to fresh snow to slush, we saw it all.  How sure footed was the Scoob?  The missus used her iPad and the kid watched some movies and they were pretty much oblivious to the horrible roads save for noticing the massive number of cars off the road.

That. I have 18 and 20 years old sons that drive around in the Sierra...they're going with snows.

Offline Rupert

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +49/-160
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: December 25, 2012, 08:17:12 am »
It sounds like winter tires are good for one season and then are as slippery as hell. From a user post on this thread. How can that ever be a viable option? 4 months and dump.

Offline safristi

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +471/-416
    • View Profile
  • Cars: since the beginning of Saf timeLOTUS ELAN,STANDARD... 10, MG midget, MGB (2),Mazda Millennia,Hyundai Veloster and 1997 Ford Ranger 2014 Subaru Forester XT
« Reply #93 on: December 25, 2012, 08:26:55 am »
How aboot a Winter drag race from the stop lights with posters on Summers............I just love those slow motion replays... :stick: >:D I hear Santa now has beaver pelts on his RUNNERS.those crazy housewives..... :) ;) ;D :o 8) ..no more hairy liftoffs from rooftops..it's all for the children........ :P
Time is to stop everything happening at once

Offline dirtyjeffer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +296/-1312
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2021 Toyota Venza Limited, 2016 Kia Sorento EX AWD
« Reply #94 on: December 25, 2012, 10:11:56 am »
It sounds like winter tires are good for one season and then are as slippery as hell. From a user post on this thread. How can that ever be a viable option? 4 months and dump.

What?

Depending how many clicks you put on winters should last 3-4 seasons.
yea, my Michelin XI2s on our Hyundai (previously used on our Focus) are in their 5th winter...still plenty of tread left, although i will check the condition of the rubber after this season as it still may be time to replace them.
When you've lost the argument, admit defeat and hit the smite button.

Offline dirtyjeffer

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: December 25, 2012, 10:15:06 am »
i never understood the need for winter tires initially, as i had only ever used all season for the 20 years of driving before i bought my first set...now, i won't go without them...they are that much better...sure, accelerating from the lights is better, but to me, the braking and steering ability (to maintain grip) is worth every penny, and it is substantially better than all seasons.

oddly enough, a co-worker of mine is about to pick up his brand new FRS and purchased some premium all-seasons...i asked why he didn't get winter tires, and he said he would be fine without them...he previous car was a 2010 Subaru WRX, with winter tires...i don't understand that decision (not the car, the tires).

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
Re: Re: Feature: Winter Tires vs. All-Season Tires
« Reply #96 on: December 25, 2012, 04:04:51 pm »
You should easily get 4 winters out of a set.....what are you doing that they only last a season?!?!?!?!?

Sent from my Galaxy S3

Offline blur911

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +244/-779
  • Nasty Weasel
    • View Profile
  • Cars: and bikes by age:Honda, BMW, Porsche, Subaru, Suzuki, Suzuki, Mazda, Jaguar, Kawasaki, Porsche, GMC, Suzuki
Re: Re: Feature: Winter Tires vs. All-Season Tires
« Reply #97 on: December 25, 2012, 06:29:41 pm »
You should easily get 4 winters out of a set.....what are you doing that they only last a season?!?!?!?!?

You know how Rupert is, he's always doing burnouts and drifting.  Wears tires out fast.  ;D

I think this is our 4th season with the Dunlop DS-3
Mr Pickypants

Offline blur911

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +244/-779
  • Nasty Weasel
    • View Profile
  • Cars: and bikes by age:Honda, BMW, Porsche, Subaru, Suzuki, Suzuki, Mazda, Jaguar, Kawasaki, Porsche, GMC, Suzuki
« Reply #98 on: December 25, 2012, 06:31:37 pm »
i never understood the need for winter tires initially, as i had only ever used all season for the 20 years of driving before i bought my first set...now, i won't go without them...they are that much better...sure, accelerating from the lights is better, but to me, the braking and steering ability (to maintain grip) is worth every penny, and it is substantially better than all seasons.

oddly enough, a co-worker of mine is about to pick up his brand new FRS and purchased some premium all-seasons...i asked why he didn't get winter tires, and he said he would be fine without them...he previous car was a 2010 Subaru WRX, with winter tires...i don't understand that decision (not the car, the tires).

So did he actually buy another set of all-season tires to put on in the winter?   Does he not know the difference?

Offline dirtyjeffer

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: December 26, 2012, 12:56:49 am »
So did he actually buy another set of all-season tires to put on in the winter?   Does he not know the difference?
yes, he bought a brand new set of Premium All Season tires (performance ones, he said)...i don't recall the make of them, but i can find out...he was supposed to pick up his car on Friday (if it came in on time, otherwise, it will be any day now)...i did read they put "Prius" tires on it (i have no idea why), but i don't understand his decision to skip winter tires, especially on that car.