Poll

Is it acceptable to park this way to protect your investment

Yes
6 (15.4%)
No
33 (84.6%)

Total Members Voted: 36

Author Topic: Parking Lot Etiquette  (Read 13289 times)

Offline Jaeger

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +707/-12386
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2015 Hyundai Genesis 3.8 AWD, 2016 Honda Fit EX-L Navi, 2019 Genesis G80 3.3t Sport, 2021 Honda CB650R, 2023 Honda Monkey
Re: Parking Lot Etiquette
« Reply #40 on: November 28, 2012, 10:24:29 am »
^^^ Yep, parking like that is just asking for trouble.

I admit it.  I'm an f-ing a$$ole.  When I had my Echo, I'd park right beside cars just like that squeezing in as tight as possible just to be a jerk.
Nothing a well placed shopping cart can't solved.  Take note of wind direction and any slope in the parking lot. 

You guys would actually do that to a nice car??? I wouldnt have the heart, however, if it was a POS, hell yeah, Id wedge my truck in there.

No way I would vandalize someone's car, no matter how much of a d!ckhead they were.  But parking a car like that screams "Give way peasants, I am lord of this domain!"  and is very likely to p!$$ off the kinda person who would use his keys to express his thoughts on the matter.
Wokeism is nothing more than the recognition and opposition of bigotry in all its forms.  Bigots are predictably triggered.

Offline tooscoops

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +325/-227
  • "stealership" employee
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '75 AMC Pacer, '70 Morgan 4/4, '21 Pacifica Hybrid, '21 Wrangler Rubicon
« Reply #41 on: November 28, 2012, 10:38:50 am »
i like to leave little notes... such as, "no one likes you"... "you aren't that important"...

i would never hurt a car on purpose (unless it was a demo derby or something obvious!) and i don't want to stoop to a level of being a total dick, so simple words make me feel better. who knows if they get it and say "whoops, my bad for parking like that", or just say "what a :censor:"... either way... they at least know one person thinks they were a waste of their parents time.
i used to be addicted to soap, but i'm clean now

Offline tpl

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +298/-675
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Taos
« Reply #42 on: November 28, 2012, 12:04:01 pm »
I don't think I ever have.  I have rested my door edge on the rubber strip on someone elses door while getting in or out but never on the paint.  I have received my share of dings tho'.

A door opened into a good wind can be difficult to control but I dunno...I think one always knows when it is windy outside the car and can hang on to the door carefully but I can see this could be a problem for kids and old ladies.
The most radical revolutionary will become a conservative the day after the revolution.

Offline Jaeger

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +707/-12386
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2015 Hyundai Genesis 3.8 AWD, 2016 Honda Fit EX-L Navi, 2019 Genesis G80 3.3t Sport, 2021 Honda CB650R, 2023 Honda Monkey
« Reply #43 on: November 28, 2012, 12:19:06 pm »
I don't think I ever have.   I have rested my door edge on the rubber strip on someone elses door while getting in or out but never on the paint.  I have received my share of dings tho'.

A door opened into a good wind can be difficult to control but I dunno...I think one always knows when it is windy outside the car and can hang on to the door carefully but I can see this could be a problem for kids and old ladies.

I don't believe I ever have, either.  From my very first car (1981 Civic, for all who are dying to know)  I've always been conscious of avoiding dings - either inflicting or receiving.  If I can't park with eough space to get out without contact, I park someplace else.  Because it means the other guy likely can't enter his vehicle without contacting mine. 

Heck, my 10 year old daughter knows enough to be careful not to touch the adjacent car when opening her door.

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1424/-2121
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2020 Toyota Tundra, 2021 Lexus GX460, 2018 Kawasaki Versys X300
« Reply #44 on: November 28, 2012, 12:27:42 pm »
I could see maybe a door on a 2 door car, very windy day it might get away from someone, but I am super careful not to damage any cars.
Lighten up Francis.....

Offline Snowman

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +702/-1347
  • “It’s never crowded along the extra mile.”
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Cars: 2012 Audi TT-RS. 2011 Toyota Venza AWD.2004 Honda S2000 Bikes: Giant Defy Avdvanced 0. Giant Talon 29 "hardtail"
« Reply #45 on: November 28, 2012, 12:31:14 pm »
I could see maybe a door on a 2 door car, very windy day it might get away from someone, but I am super careful not to damage any cars.

Big problem for me. The wing span of the TT RS requires significant space to open doors for entry and egress.

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: November 28, 2012, 12:32:04 pm »

Big problem for me. The wing span of the TT RS requires significant space to open doors for entry and egress.

The doors are that big and heavy??

Offline Snowman

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Cars: 2012 Audi TT-RS. 2011 Toyota Venza AWD.2004 Honda S2000 Bikes: Giant Defy Avdvanced 0. Giant Talon 29 "hardtail"
« Reply #47 on: November 28, 2012, 12:35:31 pm »

Not all that heavy but the radius is large.

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: November 28, 2012, 12:36:24 pm »

I know that this is a little off topic, but is the rear seat usable?? I figure thats the only reason they made the doors that big.

Offline bridgecity

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +126/-182
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2014 MDX; 2007 Tundra
« Reply #49 on: November 28, 2012, 12:37:52 pm »
My biggest problem hasn't been dings, but vehicles scraping down the side with front bumpers in parking lots.  It has happened on both my Tundra and the Pilot we just got rid of.  No note from the offender.  The Pilot was so bad that we couldn't even open the passenger door.  The truck is just a large dent followed by a foot long scrape. 

My guess is that parents with younger children are the biggest offenders for door dings.  Kids just don't care, and aren't taught to care.  My kids don't open their doors until we are out of the vehicle to help them if there is any risk of them swinging into another vehicle.
Quality is never an accident; it is always the result of high intention, sincere effort, intelligent direction, and skillful execution; it represents the wise choice of many alternatives.

Offline Snowman

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: November 28, 2012, 12:44:08 pm »

I know that this is a little off topic, but is the rear seat usable?? I figure thats the only reason they made the doors that big.

Useable but not for sitting in. Might get one child in behind front passenger. 

Offline 5 Wheel Drive

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +88/-20
    • View Profile
  • Cars: My Mazda fleet: 2014 CX9 GS, 2013 Mazda 3 GX, 1997 Miata
« Reply #51 on: November 28, 2012, 04:26:12 pm »
At new 6 level Oakville Go Train Parking garage

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I see nothing wrong with how you parked.  I remember doing the one time with my Miata.  I looked out to find an old pos Blazer parked within a couple of inches of it.  If I had a passenger they would have had to climb in the drivers side. Did I mention that it was an almost empty parking lot and I was at the opposite end from the entrance to the store? I caught the guy walking back to his truck.  He was a total f@$ktard, and I told him so.  Some not very nice words were exchanged.
"This is no Playstation, this.  There is no reset button if you get it wrong.  You just go through the pearly gates...on fire!"   -Jeremy Clarkson

Offline Triple Bob

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +308/-574
  • Profesional Dash Stroker
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Tundra, GTI, Triumph Tiger, KTM, C63 AMG, FZ-09, Triumph Speed Triple, VW Golf Wagon TDI, BMW 535i, Honda CRF250L, Hyundai Genesis Coupe, Mitsubishi Outlander, Lotus Exige, Subaru Impreza, Peugeot 106, BMW Z4, Toyota MR2 MKIII, Ford Sierra Sapphire
« Reply #52 on: November 28, 2012, 07:54:59 pm »

That's why I used to park the Exige miles away from anyone else, the car was so low that the doors had to be open wide to get out. Plus dings would just damage the paint, not the fibreglass.

Although I did drive it every day, so just took it as a hazard of having a nice daily driver.

Choosing a car based on reliability is like choosing a wife based solely because she is punctual. There is more to it than that...

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1254/-7210
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: November 28, 2012, 08:04:42 pm »

That's why I used to park the Exige miles away from anyone else, the car was so low that the doors had to be open wide to get out. Plus dings would just damage the paint, not the fibreglass.

Although I did drive it every day, so just took it as a hazard of having a nice daily driver.

Yea, I used to park my Supra and now my Porsche anywhere.  Dings happen.
How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

Offline safristi

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +471/-416
    • View Profile
  • Cars: since the beginning of Saf timeLOTUS ELAN,STANDARD... 10, MG midget, MGB (2),Mazda Millennia,Hyundai Veloster and 1997 Ford Ranger 2014 Subaru Forester XT
« Reply #54 on: November 29, 2012, 11:47:23 am »
"dings happen" yeah and some dings don't capice....................shrug....I'm sending Luigi ta Cap yer Aps.............
Time is to stop everything happening at once

Offline Apok

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +8/-7
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Current: 2014 Ford F-150 ][ Owned: 1998 VW Golf, 2004 Mitsubishi Lancer Ralliart, 1991 VW Golf 1.6D, 2010 Colorado, 2003 Subaru Outback
« Reply #55 on: November 29, 2012, 07:38:13 pm »
There used to be a guy around here with a Delorean, whenever I saw it parked I remember him straddling two spaces at the end of the parking lot. I'd cut him some slack regardless, what a PITA it would be to come out to someone parked inches from your Gullwing door.

Offline mmret

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +240/-570
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: November 29, 2012, 08:35:21 pm »
There used to be a guy around here with a Delorean, whenever I saw it parked I remember him straddling two spaces at the end of the parking lot. I'd cut him some slack regardless, what a PITA it would be to come out to someone parked inches from your Gullwing door.

I thought gullwing doors acutally required less space to open as they were hinged fairly close to the centerline of the car.

Unless the Delorean is not.

But more relevantly (!) the SLS is, and that's what matters (one day, I hope).
You can't just have your characters announce how they feel.
That makes me feel angry!

Present: 15.5 V60 T6 + Polestar, 17 MDX
Sometimes Borrow: 11 GLK350
Dark and Twisted Past: 13 TL AWD, 07 Z4 3.0si, 07 CLK550, 06 TSX, 07 Civic, 01 Grandma!

Offline tooscoops

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +325/-227
  • "stealership" employee
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '75 AMC Pacer, '70 Morgan 4/4, '21 Pacifica Hybrid, '21 Wrangler Rubicon
« Reply #57 on: November 30, 2012, 03:19:47 pm »
i had a friend of mine let the pacer door get grabbed by the wind... and those are huge... especially the passenger door (being even bigger and heavier than the drivers)...

left a solid crease on the (luckily) POS beside me. we were going in so i left a note with my business card and my cell # on his windshield explaining... never heard anything from the guy.

meh.. i tried. (and it wasn't actually me anyways!)

Offline random006

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +123/-83
    • View Profile
  • Cars: His - 2018 Subaru Crosstrek .... Hers - 2008 Honda Civic DX
« Reply #58 on: December 03, 2012, 04:43:55 pm »
Well, shopping carts and parking one's POS within millimeters of the offending car aside, there is another option:

http://www.youparklikeanasshole.com/

Far less damaging and perhaps not public enough but it might get the message across and it certainly feels good.  ;D
I have come here to chew bubblegum and kick ass...and I'm all out of bubblegum.    -    John Nada (played by Roddy Piper) in "They Live"

Offline dr_spock

• Spock
  • Carma: +46/-56
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: December 03, 2012, 07:00:39 pm »
Ha, should really be printed on 8.5" x 11" or larger paper.   :)