Author Topic: Ready, Set, Evaluate! AJAC's 2012 TestFest Set for Next Week  (Read 4541 times)

Offline Solstice2006

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +245/-468
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2008 Hyundai Entourage, 2007 Buick Lucerne
Re: Ready, Set, Evaluate! AJAC's 2012 TestFest Set for Next Week
« Reply #20 on: October 16, 2012, 02:36:08 pm »
Camry was redesigned LAST year not this year.  It was entered last year in test fest I believe it lost to the Hyundai / Kia twins.

All cars are automatic, unless they are in the performance / prestige or sports car categories in which case exceptions are made.  Not all journalists can drive manual... sad I know.

Your pricing is correct the manufacturers decide who they want to compete against.  They do so by offering fully loaded models in a category they think they could win or stripper models in the same.  It's a game they play.

So Kia enters a stripper Rio, nobody notices it doesn't have A/C so it gets similar marks to the competitor that does.  Then when the results are tabulated the price factor puts it ahead by a point and they win!

So if the manufacturers actually take the AJAC car of the year, and/or best car in that segment seriously, they should be very careful in what trim model they give you.  Because  no one can see the score card, just the verdict!  who knows what is worth more, fuel efficiency, price, features, it's all relative.  The Sante Fe came out 2nd place in the comparo recently, so it could win in the over 35k category, because the Tiguan is not there, and its a hell of a lot cheaper than the RDX and RX350, and doesnt take premium, it's a shoe in!
Then Hyundai can say, it won best new CUV in the over 35k by beating Acura and Lexus!  No one would cross shop these three vehicles!

Offline wing

• Big Wig
  • Administrator
  • Carma: +279/-320
  • If you ain't first ... you're last!
    • View Profile
    • Drivesideways
  • Cars: 2009 Lexus ISF, 2009 Lexus LX570,2011 Audi A5 Touring Car
« Reply #21 on: October 16, 2012, 02:44:00 pm »
Most won't notice because it will be 5 degrees.  If it doesn't have heated seats and heat then there is an issue LOL

Offline Mike

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +172/-99
  • Lurker
    • View Profile
  • Cars: A Beater and an Ascent
« Reply #22 on: October 16, 2012, 02:56:03 pm »
Your pricing is correct the manufacturers decide who they want to compete against.  They do so by offering fully loaded models in a category they think they could win or stripper models in the same.  It's a game they play.

So Kia enters a stripper Rio, nobody notices it doesn't have A/C so it gets similar marks to the competitor that does.  Then when the results are tabulated the price factor puts it ahead by a point and they win!

Can't really blame the manufacturers for playing that game if the testers can't be relied upon to pay attention.

Not all as astute as the Autos.ca crowd  ;D ;D ;D

Offline Snowman

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +702/-1347
  • “It’s never crowded along the extra mile.”
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Cars: 2012 Audi TT-RS. 2011 Toyota Venza AWD.2004 Honda S2000 Bikes: Giant Defy Avdvanced 0. Giant Talon 29 "hardtail"
« Reply #23 on: October 16, 2012, 03:56:31 pm »

Welcome to AJAC Test Fest where the rules are made up and the points don't matter!

:rofl2:

Offline huota

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +49/-60
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 16, 2012, 04:20:47 pm »
I read the topic Ready, Set, Ejaculate!  No, I'm not a perv, perhaps just a little dyslexic  ;D  Carry on :run:
Fiction is the lie through which we tell the truth

Offline Snowman

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +702/-1347
  • “It’s never crowded along the extra mile.”
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Cars: 2012 Audi TT-RS. 2011 Toyota Venza AWD.2004 Honda S2000 Bikes: Giant Defy Avdvanced 0. Giant Talon 29 "hardtail"
« Reply #25 on: October 16, 2012, 10:32:44 pm »
I read the topic Ready, Set, Ejaculate!  No, I'm not a perv, perhaps just a little dyslexic  ;D  Carry on :run:

AJACulate  :rofl2:

Offline RoadRageous

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +16/-13
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 16, 2012, 11:18:39 pm »
I really enjoy Test Fest, and hope to see some articles come out of it.

Okay, let's have some fun guessing :

City Car :
    Focus wins because it's a better, more usefull car, even if the mitsu technology is more advanced, or has better range.

Small Car under 12K :
    Mazda3 Skyactive has winning  balalnce of Fuel economy, performance, handling and interior volume. Dodge Dart runs close by being so thoroughly modern.

Small car over 12K:
    Mazda 3 hatchback, because I'm a Mazda fan. Or for all of the reasons they won the under 12k category.

Family car under 30K:
    Ford fusion by 3 points over the Accord, only because the Honda is so bland.
    But next year the Mazda 6 will crush this category.

Family car over 30K:
    *yawn*

Luxury Car:
    Lexus GS. The veteran keeps getting better. If this same group were labelled "sport luxury sedan" I'd go 3-Series.

Sports - Performance under 50K:
    BRZ and FRS are rewarded for appealing directly to the heart of Drivers, by building the most daily-useable no-compromises sportscar since ... The Acura Integra GS-R ?

Sports Performance over 50K:
    The Merc powers past the Boxster with 400hp and 400 ft-lb of torque

Perstige Performance over 75K:
    I will gladly accept any of these as a gift, but I'll guess the M5's combination of price, power, and driving dynamics is unasailable.

SUV under 35K
    Mazda CX5. Wins on the strength of the Skyactive drivetrain, and an otherwise competitive vehicle.

SUV 35k to 60K
    Tough call, most of these are pointed at different market niches.
    If it were my money I'd take a long hard look at the Pathfinder.

Offline Solstice2006

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +245/-468
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2008 Hyundai Entourage, 2007 Buick Lucerne
« Reply #27 on: October 24, 2012, 10:23:16 am »
Well it has been confirmed, the Rio (subcompact) has become a finalist in the under 21k crowd, beating other compacts that are bigger, like the Mazda3 and Dart, probably because of price, and fuel economy, yes it is a decent car, but this kind of testing needs to be taken with a grain of salt, at times, depending on the category, I don't think some vehicles will be crossed shop, Rio would be cross shopped with other subcompacts, like Mazda2, Fiesta, and Fit.  Just that Kia was smart at choosing the right trim model to get extra points on price, it doesn't even have A/C! 

Maybe there could be guidelines, like all vehicles in that category must have power windows (unlike the rollup windows still in the new base Corolla!), auto tranny, a/c, cruise, and bluetooth.  Oh well, at least people who pay attention to detail more or less know what they want, and can tell for themselves...

Offline wing

• Big Wig
  • Administrator
  • Carma: +279/-320
  • If you ain't first ... you're last!
    • View Profile
    • Drivesideways
  • Cars: 2009 Lexus ISF, 2009 Lexus LX570,2011 Audi A5 Touring Car
« Reply #28 on: October 25, 2012, 09:10:47 pm »
Hey look no frs win ;)

The st is awesome.  So elantra or Mazda 3?

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus

Offline Mike

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +172/-99
  • Lurker
    • View Profile
  • Cars: A Beater and an Ascent
« Reply #29 on: October 25, 2012, 09:32:56 pm »
Shhhh, I'm working on the news article.  Can't really argue with any winners this year. 

Offline normancw

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +125/-132
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: October 25, 2012, 11:34:31 pm »
Only got 7/11 categories.  I even picked the wrong car in the category in which I tested 3 cars!

Having only driven 3 from the list (all in the SPORTS – PERFORMANCE under $50K category), here are my guesses:

CITY CAR
1.     Ford Focus EV

SMALL CAR UNDER $21K
4.     Mazda3 Skyactiv (Sedan)

SMALL CAR OVER $21k
3.     Hyundai Elantra GT

FAMILY CAR under $30K
3.     Honda Accord Sedan

FAMILY CAR OVER $30K
2.     Ford Fusion Hybrid

LUXURY CAR
2.     BMW 3-Series

SPORTS – PERFORMANCE under $50K
8.     Scion FR-S

SPORTS PERFORMANCE over $50K
4.     Porsche Boxster

PRESTIGE PERFORMANCE – over $75K
3.    Porsche 911 Carrera S

SUV – CUV under $35K
3.     Honda CR-V

SUV – CUV $35K – $60K
1.     Acura RDX
« Last Edit: October 25, 2012, 11:39:10 pm by normancw »
Don't fight it.  The sooner you get it the better.
― rrocket

Offline bridgecity

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +126/-182
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2014 MDX; 2007 Tundra
« Reply #31 on: October 26, 2012, 12:22:41 am »

SUV under 35K
    Mazda CX5. Wins on the strength of the Skyactive drivetrain, and an otherwise competitive vehicle.

If the CX-5 wins, it won't be because of its weak sauce drivetrain.  Great driver, nice interior, engine and tranny are lacking.
Quality is never an accident; it is always the result of high intention, sincere effort, intelligent direction, and skillful execution; it represents the wise choice of many alternatives.

Offline mrthompson

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +70/-42
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2008 Honda CR-V (The Green Machine)
« Reply #32 on: October 29, 2012, 02:36:44 pm »

AJACulate  :rofl2:

Dash strokers   :shake: