Author Topic: Cadillac Produces Virtual Bumpers  (Read 1674 times)

Offline Autos_Editor

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +91/-560
    • View Profile
Cadillac Produces Virtual Bumpers
« on: September 18, 2012, 09:28:33 am »

Three new Cadillac models, including the ATS sedan, have a new advanced safety system that can automatically stop the vehicle in low-speed conditions to help avoid crashes.
Read More...

Offline X-Traction

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +58/-96
    • View Profile
Re: Cadillac Produces Virtual Bumpers
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2012, 12:22:05 am »
Taken far enough, this sort of technology and the driverless car technology could eliminate all collisions.  Part of the gear would be motor vehicles communicating with each other. 

The unobvious consequence of that is that all the crash structures, real bumpers etc. could be eliminated.  Even airbags or seatbelts for that matter.  And that would result in much lighter, more efficient cars that would make today's cars look like ponderous armour-plated dinosaurs.

Would driving be as much "fun"?  I'm sure people will find some way to have fun.
And some cretins think I hate cars.

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1254/-7213
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2012, 12:34:03 am »
Taken far enough, this sort of technology and the driverless car technology could eliminate all collisions.  Part of the gear would be motor vehicles communicating with each other. 

The unobvious consequence of that is that all the crash structures, real bumpers etc. could be eliminated.  Even airbags or seatbelts for that matter.  And that would result in much lighter, more efficient cars that would make today's cars look like ponderous armour-plated dinosaurs.

Would driving be as much "fun"?  I'm sure people will find some way to have fun.

A much easier solution would be to merely install wireless proximity switches in the front/rear bumpers and door sides of all new cars.  Set the distance apart to "X".  If the distance apart is less than "X", brakes are automatically applied if vehicle speed is above a certain threshold.  Easy peasy.
How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

Offline X-Traction

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +58/-96
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2012, 04:48:39 am »

A much easier solution would be to merely install wireless proximity switches in the front/rear bumpers and door sides of all new cars.  Set the distance apart to "X".  If the distance apart is less than "X", brakes are automatically applied if vehicle speed is above a certain threshold.  Easy peasy.

Not so peasy.  The distances needed for safe highway driving would prevent use of parking lots, for instance.  And the reaction of the cars in any circumstances would also have to consider direction, not just distance as you stated.  Perhaps even road layout, vehicle capabilities (eg summer/winter tires) and weather/road conditions.

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1254/-7213
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2012, 07:37:36 pm »

Not so peasy.  The distances needed for safe highway driving would prevent use of parking lots, for instance.  And the reaction of the cars in any circumstances would also have to consider direction, not just distance as you stated.  Perhaps even road layout, vehicle capabilities (eg summer/winter tires) and weather/road conditions.

That's why they are wired to "talk" with the speed sensors.  This is easily doable.