Author Topic: LR2 is Revised and Cheaper to Buy  (Read 1349 times)

Offline Autos_Editor

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +91/-560
    • View Profile
LR2 is Revised and Cheaper to Buy
« on: September 14, 2012, 09:14:20 am »

The Land Rover LR2 is now available in Canada for under $40,000 for the base trim for the 2013 model year.
Read More...

Offline redman

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +100/-298
  • Make mine a flat white, triple shot.
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee, 2010 Subaru Legacy Limited, 2009 Pontiac Vibe GT son's
Re: LR2 is Revised and Cheaper to Buy
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2012, 09:49:51 am »
Does anyone care about this vehicle. Reminds me of the wanna be "B" MB. Oh look at me...I'm so wanna be rich:rofl: If you like a Land Rover, get a real Land Rover. If to $$ get a used one or suck it up. Tired of facsimile versions of established and defined products popping up lately !! >:( Just to appease someones poor decision in marketing. Once again more ain't necessarily better in every case. 

Seriously thanks for the heads up. Now I can brace myself from having to say "WHY" when I see an influx of these on the road.

Guess I'm just in one of those moods today.
« Last Edit: September 14, 2012, 09:55:32 am by redman »
Past New (8yrs) Car Dealer for : BMW, Lexus, Nissan and Toyota<br />Past Used Vehicle Dealer: All Makes and Models. Seen a lot of it. Drove a lot of it. <br />Four-stroke Otto Engine 1876. Modern timer, pop-up toaster 1919 keep convincing yourself that you have the "latest appliance".

Offline safristi

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +471/-416
    • View Profile
  • Cars: since the beginning of Saf timeLOTUS ELAN,STANDARD... 10, MG midget, MGB (2),Mazda Millennia,Hyundai Veloster and 1997 Ford Ranger 2014 Subaru Forester XT
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2012, 10:08:34 am »
I'd pay that for the MARS ROVER................ :rofl:
Time is to stop everything happening at once

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1424/-2122
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2020 Toyota Tundra, 2021 Lexus GX460, 2018 Kawasaki Versys X300
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2012, 01:00:34 pm »
Does anyone care about this vehicle. Reminds me of the wanna be "B" MB. Oh look at me...I'm so wanna be rich:rofl: If you like a Land Rover, get a real Land Rover. If to $$ get a used one or suck it up. Tired of facsimile versions of established and defined products popping up lately !! >:( Just to appease someones poor decision in marketing. Once again more ain't necessarily better in every case. 

Seriously thanks for the heads up. Now I can brace myself from having to say "WHY" when I see an influx of these on the road.

Guess I'm just in one of those moods today.

:iagree: This new age Freelander is a bad knockoff. Why not get an Escape with the same motor and save the money????
Lighten up Francis.....

Offline Sir Osis of Liver

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1376/-1726
  • Ramblin' man
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 KTM DUKE 390, 2019 VW Jetta GLI 35th Anniversary
« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2012, 01:59:06 pm »
I thought this was to be replaced by the Evoque? It seems a bit redundant.
On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last, and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.

H. L. Mencken

Northernridge

« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2012, 03:14:23 pm »
I agree with the comments about Land Rover stretching down market like other luxury brands...don't do it. Stretching an established brand either up or down market to capture market share often fails – often a new brand is created instead to preserve the positioning of the parent brand. There are hundreds of case studies in my world on the topic.

Here's a few I like:

Black & Decker wanted to develop contractor grade power tools and through market research found that contractors didn't believe B&D could make heavy duty tools so the company developed the Dewalt brand instead of labelling those same tools B&D...home-run.

After extraordinary success, The Gap was being assailed by higher and lower end competitors. In response they launched Old Navy at the bottom end to protect the lower end of the market (rather than discount the Gap, they promote Old Navy) and Banana Republic at the top end to compete with discounting high-end competitors thus preserving positioning and margins for The Gap.

You all know the Toyota/Lexus story.

Offline 2JDM

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +119/-141
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2012, 03:24:08 pm »
I don't remember when I saw one of these in Canada...

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1424/-2122
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2020 Toyota Tundra, 2021 Lexus GX460, 2018 Kawasaki Versys X300
« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2012, 03:27:25 pm »
I agree with the comments about Land Rover stretching down market like other luxury brands...don't do it. Stretching an established brand either up or down market to capture market share often fails – often a new brand is created instead to preserve the positioning of the parent brand. There are hundreds of case studies in my world on the topic.

Here's a few I like:

Black & Decker wanted to develop contractor grade power tools and through market research found that contractors didn't believe B&D could make heavy duty tools so the company developed the Dewalt brand instead of labelling those same tools B&D...home-run.

After extraordinary success, The Gap was being assailed by higher and lower end competitors. In response they launched Old Navy at the bottom end to protect the lower end of the market (rather than discount the Gap, they promote Old Navy) and Banana Republic at the top end to compete with discounting high-end competitors thus preserving positioning and margins for The Gap.

You all know the Toyota/Lexus story.

I agree, kind of the same idea for MB to market the B class as a Smart or whatever. Dont cheapen the brand to attract people that cant actually afford one of your cars.