Author Topic: Ya, But Can Your Truck Tow a Space Shuttle?  (Read 5003 times)

Offline Autos_Editor

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +91/-560
    • View Profile
Ya, But Can Your Truck Tow a Space Shuttle?
« on: September 13, 2012, 08:40:57 am »

Toyota Motor Sales, U.S.A., Inc. (TMS) announced today that the Toyota Tundra full-size pickup truck is slated to tow the space shuttle Endeavour during its final journey to the California Science Center on October 13, 2012, where it will go on permanent display.  
Read More...

Offline Ex-airbalancer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +729/-1584
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 Silverado 1500 LTZ ext ended cab , 2013 Lexus RX-350 F Sport
Re: Ya, But Can Your Truck Tow a Space Shuttle?
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2012, 09:11:45 am »
Big deal , this is what the guy up the street can do http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0xpuub2DBB8

Offline wing

• Big Wig
  • Administrator
  • Carma: +279/-320
  • If you ain't first ... you're last!
    • View Profile
    • Drivesideways
  • Cars: 2009 Lexus ISF, 2009 Lexus LX570,2011 Audi A5 Touring Car
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2012, 09:37:36 am »
Yeah I don't get these, look at my truck it pulls a plane.   People can pull a plane!

Offline 5 Wheel Drive

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +88/-20
    • View Profile
  • Cars: My Mazda fleet: 2014 CX9 GS, 2013 Mazda 3 GX, 1997 Miata
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2012, 12:19:17 pm »
I wonder how much Toyaota paid to have a Tundra tow it that last bit.  No doubt there will be lots of cameras rolling so they can make a commercial about a Japanese truck towing an American space icon.
"This is no Playstation, this.  There is no reset button if you get it wrong.  You just go through the pearly gates...on fire!"   -Jeremy Clarkson

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1424/-2122
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2020 Toyota Tundra, 2021 Lexus GX460, 2018 Kawasaki Versys X300
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2012, 12:37:47 pm »
I dont understand publicity stunts such as these......you want to impress me with your truck toyota??? Tow a Bobcat on a trailer up Rogers Pass or a camping trailer at almost your full capacity in the hills near Kelowna or Osoyoos when its almost +40 with the a/c on or come down a steep hill with a heavy trailer to see how good the engine braking is or if you have to burn your brakes out. Those are the kind of real life tow tests that I would be impressed/interested in me. Myself or any of the people I know have never been asked to help move our dads space shuttle around....  :shake:
Lighten up Francis.....

Offline Sir Osis of Liver

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1376/-1726
  • Ramblin' man
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 KTM DUKE 390, 2019 VW Jetta GLI 35th Anniversary
« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2012, 12:47:04 pm »
I dont understand publicity stunts such as these......you want to impress me with your truck toyota??? Tow a Bobcat on a trailer up Rogers Pass or a camping trailer at almost your full capacity in the hills near Kelowna or Osoyoos when its almost +40 with the a/c on or come down a steep hill with a heavy trailer to see how good the engine braking is or if you have to burn your brakes out. Those are the kind of real life tow tests that I would be impressed/interested in me. Myself or any of the people I know have never been asked to help move our dads space shuttle around....  :shake:

What's a "hill"?  ??? ;D
On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last, and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.

H. L. Mencken

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2012, 12:50:33 pm »

What's a "hill"?  ??? ;D

Ummmm.....how can I explain this, oh, you know when they build a house and they remove dirt  for the foundation and create a pile of dirt.....like that pile, but on a bigger scale  ;) :rofl2: Freaking flatlanders  ;D

Offline Sir Osis of Liver

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1376/-1726
  • Ramblin' man
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 KTM DUKE 390, 2019 VW Jetta GLI 35th Anniversary
« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2012, 01:12:10 pm »

What's a "hill"?  ??? ;D

Ummmm.....how can I explain this, oh, you know when they build a house and they remove dirt  for the foundation and create a pile of dirt.....like that pile, but on a bigger scale  ;) :rofl2: Freaking flatlanders  ;D

:rofl2:

Offline redman

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +100/-298
  • Make mine a flat white, triple shot.
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee, 2010 Subaru Legacy Limited, 2009 Pontiac Vibe GT son's
« Reply #8 on: September 13, 2012, 02:28:06 pm »

Agreed, but either way I can see some higher ups at Ford blowing a gasket upon hearing this. The Tundra although Toyota is Japanese are built in Texas.
Past New (8yrs) Car Dealer for : BMW, Lexus, Nissan and Toyota<br />Past Used Vehicle Dealer: All Makes and Models. Seen a lot of it. Drove a lot of it. <br />Four-stroke Otto Engine 1876. Modern timer, pop-up toaster 1919 keep convincing yourself that you have the "latest appliance".

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 13, 2012, 02:31:38 pm »

Agreed, but either way I can see some higher ups at Ford blowing a gasket upon hearing this. The Tundra although Toyota is Japanese are built in Texas.

Well tow 2 space shuttle, a 747 and the statue of liberty.......I love pissing contests between large corporations.

Offline redman

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +100/-298
  • Make mine a flat white, triple shot.
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee, 2010 Subaru Legacy Limited, 2009 Pontiac Vibe GT son's
« Reply #10 on: September 13, 2012, 03:23:47 pm »
Big deal , this is what the guy up the street can do http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0xpuub2DBB8

I'd pull this video as it shows the murderer, rapist etc..Russ Williams at 1.14

Offline johngenx

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +758/-938
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2009 Toyota Corolla, 2004 Toyota Highlander V-6 4WD, 2001 Subaru Forester, 1994 Mazda Miata
« Reply #11 on: September 13, 2012, 04:32:22 pm »
^^^ OMG, you're right.  Wow.  Wonder if the blonde hottie knows how close she came to taking a dirt nap...

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 13, 2012, 04:38:30 pm »

That animal became base commander just when I was getting out. My buddies stationed in Trenton said they got a lot of flack from the general public just because they were part of the forces, buddy of mine actually got punched in the face just because he was military after Williams was caught.

Offline Ex-airbalancer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +729/-1584
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 Silverado 1500 LTZ ext ended cab , 2013 Lexus RX-350 F Sport
« Reply #13 on: September 13, 2012, 07:53:42 pm »

That animal became base commander just when I was getting out. My buddies stationed in Trenton said they got a lot of flack from the general public just because they were part of the forces, buddy of mine actually got punched in the face just because he was military after Williams was caught.
Really, I live 1/2 hour from there and work on the base sometimes, never hear that, they must of gone into the crappy area of Belleville
My son in the air force and never recieved any flack over the William

Northernridge

« Reply #14 on: September 13, 2012, 08:51:18 pm »
It's all about eyeballs, publicity stunts work. Think about all those truck buyers (see F150 thread) who use them only as a big car.

What's worse: A ford F150 with a Harley Davidson logo on it or a Tundra pulling a space shuttle?

Facking marketers.  ;D

Offline HeliDriver

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +176/-235
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2023 Crosstrek Sport 6MT; 2011 Yukon XL 2500

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 13, 2012, 09:34:46 pm »

Really, I live 1/2 hour from there and work on the base sometimes, never hear that, they must of gone into the crappy area of Belleville
My son in the air force and never recieved any flack over the William

They were out at some place in Trenton, I dont remember.

Offline X-Traction

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +58/-96
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 14, 2012, 01:53:50 am »

What's a "hill"?  ??? ;D

I think he's talking about the Coquihalla Connector, for one.  It has the longest steepest grades of any major highway in North America.  Don't you watch Highway Thru Hell?

Highway 5, the Coquihalla, gains about 1000m / 3300', as does 97C, the Connector.

There are plenty of other huge climbs on secondary roads in his area, and it gets very hot in the summer.  The Coq has a patch of fried pavement on the shoulder about every kilometer where someone's vehicle has burned up.
And some cretins think I hate cars.

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 14, 2012, 11:43:19 am »

What's a "hill"?  ??? ;D

I think he's talking about the Coquihalla Connector, for one.  It has the longest steepest grades of any major highway in North America.  Don't you watch Highway Thru Hell?

Highway 5, the Coquihalla, gains about 1000m / 3300', as does 97C, the Connector.

There are plenty of other huge climbs on secondary roads in his area, and it gets very hot in the summer.  The Coq has a patch of fried pavement on the shoulder about every kilometer where someone's vehicle has burned up.

Actually that would be a perfect testing site. Load up the truck to almost maximum GCWR and go up and down a few times. If there are no fires, you can still brake, the a/c doesnt make the truck overheat and you dont lose control then Ill be impressed. Thanks man, I completely forgot about the Coq!!