Author Topic: What happened now?  (Read 6261 times)

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1255/-7216
    • View Profile
Re: What happened now?
« Reply #40 on: September 13, 2012, 02:57:04 pm »
Gee...how did I know this would turn into an anti-U.S. thread?

Of course, on this forum, pretty much everything turns into an anti-U.S. thread sooner or later. Given a few pages, the usual witch-hunting conspiracy theorists here see the Americans behind everything. They never learn from their own blind hate.

It's not an anti-USA thread in a deliberate manner.  But what country is going to decide who will be invaded and who won't?  It's not Canada, it's not Great Britain, it's not even Israel (even though they are the ones that have the beef with Iran).

It's the USA.  Wake up.

And kinda funny you calling anyone a hater here...after reading several of your racist rants about the Native bands out your way....
« Last Edit: September 13, 2012, 02:59:13 pm by rrocket »
How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: September 13, 2012, 03:14:31 pm »

You ever board a plane in any part of the world and worry the U.S. military might hijack it and fly it into an officer tower?

Funny...15 of the 19 guys who did that were nationals of Saudi Arabia.  A US ally.   ::)

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: September 13, 2012, 03:25:55 pm »

Actually the UK participated in the Iraq war.  Get your facts straight!! 

My facts are straight.  The US decided to go to Iraq unilaterally...without approval of the UN.  That's not to say other allies did not follow them there. 

Offline Sir Osis of Liver

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1376/-1726
  • Ramblin' man
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 KTM DUKE 390, 2019 VW Jetta GLI 35th Anniversary
« Reply #43 on: September 13, 2012, 03:26:46 pm »
US foreign policy is usually based on "war by proxy". So no, US citizens aren't strapping bombs to themselves or flying planes into buildings.

What has happened any number of times is that the CIA, or its predecessors, funnels money, material and training to rebel groups to overthrow governments they percieve as hostile. A lot of times these have been democratically elected govenments that had the misfortune of trying to reform US owned land or corporate oligarchies. Chile, Iraq, Iran, the former banana republics of Honduras and Guatamala etc etc.

Wikipedia has a decent list here http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Covert_United_States_foreign_regime_change_actions

When people in those countries hear the US president or representatives speaking in glowing terms about democracy it rings very hollow.
On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last, and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.

H. L. Mencken

Offline my2cents

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +8/-40
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 Rav4 AWD
« Reply #44 on: September 13, 2012, 05:55:07 pm »
What is a Muslim/Islam?
What is the Quoran?
What is Sharia law?
What is mass immigation to every country to rule by numbers all about?
What does the Quoran say about world domination as the only goal?
What is convert to Islam or be excecuted all about?
What is destroy Israel (little Satan) and the US (big Satan) all about?
What is never giving up no matter how long it takes all about?
What is lieing through your teeth is acceptable as long as it furthers your cause all about?
Why is the UN trying to invoke a law that makes blasphemy agains Islam punishable by death wherever and whatever Islam deems as blasphemy - such as a cartoon?

Once those are answered - then you can get back to bashing freedom.

• Car Crazy
  • Ramblin' man
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: September 13, 2012, 05:58:48 pm »
What is a Muslim/Islam?
What is the Quoran?
What is Sharia law?
What is lieing through your teeth is acceptable as long as it furthers your cause all about?
Why is the UN trying to invoke a law that makes blasphemy agains Islam punishable by death wherever and whatever Islam deems as blasphemy - such as a cartoon?

Just put it down and lie down. You're having a bad trip. Everything will be ok.

vdk

What happened now?
« Reply #46 on: September 13, 2012, 09:51:23 pm »
What is a Muslim/Islam?
What is the Quoran?
What is Sharia law?

What is freedom?

Offline Cord

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +104/-115
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: September 13, 2012, 10:09:54 pm »
If the choice was between the two, who would choose to live in Iran rather than the U.S.?
"If we can just believe something then we don't have to really think for ourselves, do we?" Paul Haggis

vdk

What happened now?
« Reply #48 on: September 13, 2012, 11:50:53 pm »
If the choice was between the two, who would choose to live in Iran rather than the U.S.?

What does this have to do with anything? Are you saying that after this 'war' Iran will become America?

Would you rather live in America or Germany? America or Norway? America or Luxembourg?

If you'd choose America does that make the ways America exerts its power legitimate?

Offline huota

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +49/-60
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: September 14, 2012, 10:17:56 am »
Dunno, but if it makes anyone feel better, I just filled up at 1.81 eur/l. That's roughly $2.25 Canadian per litre.
Fiction is the lie through which we tell the truth

Offline Cord

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: September 14, 2012, 10:21:19 am »

What does this have to do with anything? Are you saying that after this 'war' Iran will become America?

Would you rather live in America or Germany? America or Norway? America or Luxembourg?

If you'd choose America does that make the ways America exerts its power legitimate?

Nobody has been comparing the U.S. with Germany or Norway. There have been previous posts trying to legitimize Iran's "innocence" and the U.S.'s "dangerousness."

Are you saying that after this 'war' Iran will become America?

Now it's my turn to ask, what are you talking about? What war? The one in your imagination?

Offline Weels

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +253/-259
  • This is my happy face
    • View Profile
  • Cars: The 5's: 2023 Mazda CX-5, 2016 Mazda MX-5
« Reply #51 on: September 14, 2012, 10:52:02 am »
Nevermind any of that.  Gas went down 6 cents a litre this morning, so everything's just fine now.

vdk

« Reply #52 on: September 14, 2012, 11:05:01 am »

Nobody has been comparing the U.S. with Germany or Norway. There have been previous posts trying to legitimize Iran's "innocence" and the U.S.'s "dangerousness."

Are you saying that after this 'war' Iran will become America?

Now it's my turn to ask, what are you talking about? What war? The one in your imagination?

Obviously a state with as much power as America is dangerous. The fact that the US can exercise that power without any repercussions makes it even more so. By comparison, Iran is a child.

Yes, how else can you think of the future? To answer your other questions, the one which will start when Israel sends a couple of fighter jets ;)

Offline Cord

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: September 14, 2012, 11:48:48 am »
Here's a hypothetical: Imagine if Iran's and the U.S.'s leadership could switch places. So Ahmadinejad would have access to current U.S. military power. Does anyone think that peaceful co-existence would be the result? Does anyone think the world would be better off than it is now?

• Car Crazy
  • Ramblin' man
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: September 14, 2012, 11:52:07 am »
Obviously a state with as much power as America is dangerous. The fact that the US can exercise that power without any repercussions makes it even more so. By comparison, Iran is a child.

The implication that the US poses a bigger threat to international law and order than Iran (given Iran's nuclear program and unabashed goal of destroying Israel and bringing death to America) is not just ignorant but astoundingly ignorant.  There's just no way to put it more politely.

When was the last time Iran launched an invasion again? Did they sponsor death squads in El Salvador? Honduras, Guatemala? Nicaragua? Did they depose the elected leader of Chile only to install the vicious dictator Pinochet? Or did they back the Suharto government in Indonesia? Did they carpet bomb Cambodia? Did they fund Saddam Husain until he was no longer useful? How much money did they dump into the Taliban until they became a liability? Was it the Iranians who backed the Batista regime in Cuba to ensure the ongoing control of American sugar companies?

The Iranians are a regional power, the US is a global power, and their foreign policy at its worst is amoral if not downright sadistic.

Offline Snowman

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +702/-1347
  • “It’s never crowded along the extra mile.”
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Cars: 2012 Audi TT-RS. 2011 Toyota Venza AWD.2004 Honda S2000 Bikes: Giant Defy Avdvanced 0. Giant Talon 29 "hardtail"
« Reply #55 on: September 14, 2012, 12:06:27 pm »
I truly do not know what to say to a person who honestly finds more to worry about in relation to the US - a country that is admittedly not without fault - than a regime like Iran.   I find that perspective utterly remarkable.

Tell him he is correct.

• Car Crazy
  • Ramblin' man
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: September 14, 2012, 12:20:35 pm »
I truly do not know what to say to a person who honestly finds more to worry about in relation to the US - a country that is admittedly not without fault - than a regime like Iran.   I find that perspective utterly remarkable.

You've never had the government you elected replaced by a dictator, nor had your land stolen because Del Monte or some mining corporation wanted it. The US has been linked to some truly despicable actions and people around the world.

The current Iranian government knows full well that their best chance at staying in power is to provoke the US and have their people rally around them. They don’t want to go to war; they just need a stream of sabre rattling to come out of the US. One of the few things less popular than the government is the US, because they still harbour a great deal of resentment over having the Shah installed as dictator.

Currently, the Iranian economy is in the toilet, they are running out of medicines, their oil infrastructure is worn out and they don’t have the resources to fix it. The government is not popular with their own people, neither is the theocratic nature of their system of government. Despite the bluster, they pose little threat to anyone either in the region or globally. Left alone, it's only a matter of time before rebellion sets in.
« Last Edit: September 14, 2012, 12:22:23 pm by Sir Osis of Liver »

Offline Snowman

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +702/-1347
  • “It’s never crowded along the extra mile.”
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Cars: 2012 Audi TT-RS. 2011 Toyota Venza AWD.2004 Honda S2000 Bikes: Giant Defy Avdvanced 0. Giant Talon 29 "hardtail"
« Reply #57 on: September 14, 2012, 12:38:31 pm »

Tell him he is correct.

;D  Another convert eh? 

Here's a suggestion - combine the next forum gathering with beer, wings, a cruise and a US flag burning ceremony (not necessarily in that order).

Not a hater or a lover. Just deal with the facts.

Offline huota

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +49/-60
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: September 14, 2012, 12:46:34 pm »
Lunch time conversation at work the other day:

"Aarman, do you think the US is going to attack Iran one day?" Aarman, an Iranian, living outside of his native country replies, "I hope so. I really do. It's the only way to get rid of the government". Silence falls, end of discussion.

I wouldn't be my money on the people of Iran rallying around their government. The regime are not the people, something that people in the West tend to not understand.

Offline Thinking Out Loud

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +19/-16
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '16 Suzuki M50 Boulevard + '19 Frontier Pro4X + 2015 Mustang EcoBoost 'vert + '09 Altima SL Coupe
« Reply #59 on: September 14, 2012, 12:51:01 pm »

You've never had the government you elected replaced by a dictator, nor had your land stolen because Del Monte or some mining corporation wanted it. The US has been linked to some truly despicable actions and people around the world.

The current Iranian government knows full well that their best chance at staying in power is to provoke the US and have their people rally around them. They don’t want to go to war; they just need a stream of sabre rattling to come out of the US. One of the few things less popular than the government is the US, because they still harbour a great deal of resentment over having the Shah installed as dictator.

Currently, the Iranian economy is in the toilet, they are running out of medicines, their oil infrastructure is worn out and they don’t have the resources to fix it. The government is not popular with their own people, neither is the theocratic nature of their system of government. Despite the bluster, they pose little threat to anyone either in the region or globally. Left alone, it's only a matter of time before rebellion sets in.

:iagree:, but I think part of the problem with the middle east is there is no functional love of democracy to rise up in the place of a dictatorship.  Iraq (and Libya, and Iran, and Syria) will once again devolve into a 'might is right' at the collapse of any organized goverment, democratic or despotic.  Enter the Taliban, stage right.

I'm not a poli-sci guy, but from what I understand, most of the middle eastern 'states' are arbitrarily hewn by former colonial powers forcing the traditional 'tribal' groups into disfuctional 'countries' (like Iraq, where a lot of the government is balanced between three+ groups).

Puppet states supported by the US or the Soveits (remeber THOSE guys?) in the middle east and elsewhere were a shade better than a full on dictatorship. 

Until the Millions of Muslims (or other religious stripes in the region) stand up to the hundreds Taliban and Al Quaeda militants, the region can / wants to subconsciously be governed by force.  Weapons are present everywhere, so it's not like the civilians are all unarmed.  There is no Stazi or KGB that evesdrops on the civi's to punish them with the Taliban, for example. 

What is worse - the middle east devolving into a a dozen Libyas, or the currenty situation.
« Last Edit: September 14, 2012, 12:56:42 pm by Thinking Out Loud »
Fortune favours the bold!