Author Topic: First Drive: 2013 Subaru XV Crosstrek  (Read 13619 times)

Offline Autos_Editor

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +91/-560
    • View Profile
First Drive: 2013 Subaru XV Crosstrek
« on: September 07, 2012, 06:05:51 am »

Subaru's new XV Crosstrek offers certain advantages over the similar Impreza, but at a steep price premium.

Read More...

Nukester

Re: First Drive: 2013 Subaru XV Crosstrek
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2012, 08:03:45 am »
Nice vehicle but why can't North America get teh 6 speed manual that is available in Europe and Australia? A diesel would be even a better solution. This would seem to compete against Subaru's own Forester for space and ground clearance. Of course the Forester has a bigger, more powerful engine but alas, poorer fuel economy.

Offline OliverD

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +257/-776
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 BMW 328i Touring, 1998 Jaguar XJR, 2024 Mini Cooper S
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2012, 08:51:30 am »
Subaru's new XV Crosstrek offers certain advantages over the similar Impreza, but at a steep price premium.

While the premium is steep at first glance, it isn't quite as bad when you realize how many features the base VX has that the base Impreza lacks. These include auto climate control, 17" alloys, windshield wiper de-icer, fog lamps, heated seats, and a bunch of other little things.

The XV is ok but I'd rather have an Impreza Limited instead of an XV Limited. They are equipped very similarly and the Impreza is $1200 cheaper and will no doubt handle better.

Offline redman

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +100/-298
  • Make mine a flat white, triple shot.
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee, 2010 Subaru Legacy Limited, 2009 Pontiac Vibe GT son's
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2012, 09:10:37 am »
"The 2013 Subaru XV Crosstrek is basically a raised Subaru Impreza. A question to ask is why choose the XV Crosstrek over the Impreza, which is also well equipped, but starts at $4,500 less for the base car, and $2,800 less for the Touring."

I`m asking the same question but can`t justify the repackaging of essentially the same product but for more money  ???

Is this the best Subaru can do for the N.A. market ? There not even willing to add the 6 speed in this vehicle to at least differentiate it somewhat from the Impreza. At this rate I wonder how long before Subaru just gets swallowed up by Toyota and simply becomes a division. At one time I dreaded the fact, but at least Toyota could offer them some needed resources. If BRZ-FRS is an example of such collaboration, bring it on sooner than later  :cheers:
Past New (8yrs) Car Dealer for : BMW, Lexus, Nissan and Toyota<br />Past Used Vehicle Dealer: All Makes and Models. Seen a lot of it. Drove a lot of it. <br />Four-stroke Otto Engine 1876. Modern timer, pop-up toaster 1919 keep convincing yourself that you have the "latest appliance".

Offline dirtyjeffer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +296/-1312
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2021 Toyota Venza Limited, 2016 Kia Sorento EX AWD
« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2012, 09:39:17 am »
i was really looking forward to a review of this car...i really like it...but when i saw on Subaru's website the pricing of this vehicle, i was a little taken back...if Subaru could make their pricing a little more in-line (or at least the same as the US pricing), and hire someone to properly design/include their audio systems, they would have a true winner...while i am sure the power is "adequate", a little more might not be a bad thing either.
When you've lost the argument, admit defeat and hit the smite button.

Offline 5 Wheel Drive

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +88/-20
    • View Profile
  • Cars: My Mazda fleet: 2014 CX9 GS, 2013 Mazda 3 GX, 1997 Miata
« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2012, 10:41:26 am »
I kinda like it in the orange color.  With its extra weight, I think this would be much better off with the 2.5L out of the Forester.
"This is no Playstation, this.  There is no reset button if you get it wrong.  You just go through the pearly gates...on fire!"   -Jeremy Clarkson

Offline Solstice2006

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +245/-468
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2008 Hyundai Entourage, 2007 Buick Lucerne
« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2012, 11:00:02 am »
i was really looking forward to a review of this car...i really like it...but when i saw on Subaru's website the pricing of this vehicle, i was a little taken back...if Subaru could make their pricing a little more in-line (or at least the same as the US pricing), and hire someone to properly design/include their audio systems, they would have a true winner...while i am sure the power is "adequate", a little more might not be a bad thing either.

I agree, to me Subaru prices themselves like a premium car company (not luxury), but slightly above Honda and Toyota for example (same price range as VW), but they have bland interiors, poor audio systems, and no wow factor.  Basically they have a great AWD system, good reliability, hold their value, and have a decent CVT.   Where as VW prices as premium, and delivers, good interiors, good powertrain, great DSG, and  good AWD as well, if equipped with 4motion, reliability is getting better,

I was interested in the Outback, as I can get it manual, and can always upgrade the audio.  But I will never pay the premium that Subaru puts on Canadian vehicles, $3000-$5000 is outrageous, (before freight).

Offline garytam

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +1/-13
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 07, 2012, 11:09:35 am »
put the BRZ's DI 2L engine and the 6 speed manual combo to it and Call it a WRX/STi whatever and I will buy one ... CVT with a 148HP? no thanks

Offline hemusbull

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +15/-153
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 07, 2012, 11:22:05 am »
No question a lot of goodies in this vehicle and I don't think it gona compete with RVR rather than with BMW's X1, but personaly for me Subi is clear winner with still non luxury pricing (for now) but typical Subaru reliability, Kia like equiped and CR-V fuel efficiency. With the pioneering in its class, the XV reminds me many years ago Mitsu SpaceWagon in Europe or even the first Civic Wagon...

Offline neil

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +20/-68
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 07, 2012, 02:09:03 pm »
"The 2013 Subaru XV Crosstrek is basically a raised Subaru Impreza. A question to ask is why choose the XV Crosstrek over the Impreza, which is also well equipped, but starts at $4,500 less for the base car, and $2,800 less for the Touring."

I`m asking the same question but can`t justify the repackaging of essentially the same product but for more money  ???

i felt much the same way before I saw it in the flesh. Impreza on Stilts.    It is much much prettier than the Impreza.  Much better ground clearance.  If you are of need of a vehicle that can go beyond the paved thoroughfares, it would be the cats meow.

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1424/-2123
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2020 Toyota Tundra, 2021 Lexus GX460, 2018 Kawasaki Versys X300
« Reply #10 on: September 07, 2012, 02:27:06 pm »
put the BRZ's DI 2L engine and the 6 speed manual combo to it and Call it a WRX/STi whatever and I will buy one ... CVT with a 148HP? no thanks

Im with you, a CVT with 148 horses, thats not got enough power to outrun an asthmastic sloth. I like your powertrain idea.....or that wonderful diesel that the rest of the civilized world gets.
Lighten up Francis.....

Offline redman

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee, 2010 Subaru Legacy Limited, 2009 Pontiac Vibe GT son's
« Reply #11 on: September 07, 2012, 02:41:54 pm »

Im with you, a CVT with 148 horses, thats not got enough power to outrun an asthmastic sloth. I like your powertrain idea.....or that wonderful diesel that the rest of the civilized world gets.

NOW YOUR TALKING

Offline T.W

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +1/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 07, 2012, 02:47:59 pm »
Wow a 5 speed manual, that's pretty impressive.....in 1980. ;)
Do you get the feeling Subaru is trying to push the CVT by offering a far inferior manual option?
Yeah, I think so too.

Offline redman

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 07, 2012, 02:48:34 pm »
OK THAT MIGHT HAVE BEEN TO EXUBERANT.....IS THIS BETTER ?

Offline OliverD

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +257/-776
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 BMW 328i Touring, 1998 Jaguar XJR, 2024 Mini Cooper S
« Reply #14 on: September 07, 2012, 02:56:57 pm »
Do you get the feeling Subaru is trying to push the CVT by offering a far inferior manual option?
Yeah, I think so too.

How exactly is a five-speed "far inferior"? I know it's all the rage right now to offer more gears (next Genesis is rumored to have a 10 speed auto) but in this segment the advantages of a six-speed over a five-speed are negligible.

Offline dirtyjeffer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +296/-1312
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2021 Toyota Venza Limited, 2016 Kia Sorento EX AWD
« Reply #15 on: September 07, 2012, 03:05:01 pm »
How exactly is a five-speed "far inferior"? I know it's all the rage right now to offer more gears (next Genesis is rumored to have a 10 speed auto) but in this segment the advantages of a six-speed over a five-speed are negligible.
it really depends on the transmission...i would gladly take a bullet proof reliable transmission with fewer gears than some "fancy new one" that ends up costing me a fortune down the road...while the 4 speed auto Subaru uses in some of their vehicles (Forester) may seem "old" (it is), i haven't heard of any issues with it.

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 07, 2012, 03:07:32 pm »
Yeah, I think so too.

When it comes to small displacement, underpowered vehicles, having a 6th gear makes the difference between the engine winding out at 120Km/h or being at a nice, quiet RPM. In today world, bringing to market a 5 spd manual makes about as much sense as bringing back drum brakes.

Offline quadzilla

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +391/-634
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Rock'n Rolla Nightstalker
« Reply #17 on: September 07, 2012, 03:11:31 pm »
When it comes to small displacement, underpowered vehicles, having a 6th gear makes the difference between the engine winding out at 120Km/h or being at a nice, quiet RPM. In today world, bringing to market a 5 spd manual makes about as much sense as bringing back drum brakes.

False. The final ratio is what makes the difference. The number of gears doesn't matter. You could have 4 gears and have less rpm at speed than a 6 speed does.

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 07, 2012, 03:15:38 pm »

False. The final ratio is what makes the difference. The number of gears doesn't matter. You could have 4 gears and have less rpm at speed than a 6 speed does.

Ok, so you gonna tell Subaru to drop in a 4.10 or 4.56 rear end for you so you have enough power in the city or are you going to ask for the 2.73 or 3.07 to have a good highway cruiser???? On the vast majority of vehicles, the difference between a 5spd and a 6 spd is cruising RPM on the highway, if you took the same car, same axle ratios with a 5 spd and a 6 spd, what would change between the two???? You could have a 4 spd thats good on the highway, but on a 150 horsepower CUV it would take you 10 minutes to get up to hwy speed.

Offline quadzilla

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +391/-634
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Rock'n Rolla Nightstalker
« Reply #19 on: September 07, 2012, 03:41:46 pm »

Ok, so you gonna tell Subaru to drop in a 4.10 or 4.56 rear end for you so you have enough power in the city or are you going to ask for the 2.73 or 3.07 to have a good highway cruiser???? On the vast majority of vehicles, the difference between a 5spd and a 6 spd is cruising RPM on the highway, if you took the same car, same axle ratios with a 5 spd and a 6 spd, what would change between the two???? You could have a 4 spd thats good on the highway, but on a 150 horsepower CUV it would take you 10 minutes to get up to hwy speed.

if you took the same car, same axle ratios with a 5 spd and a 6 spd, what would change between the two?

I would build a gear box that matches the power band of the engine.  Besides, having a lower RPM at hwy cruising isn't always the better thing to do and can increase fuel usage unless you live in a world that all drives are down hill with a tail wind.

I hate cars that setup their gears so 2nd can get them over 60mph for better 0-60mph times or 5th/6th gear that you have to downshift for every little hill on a highway.

My Mazda6 would cruise at 3,000rpm while going 150kph but would need to downshift on most small hills. My GTi cruises at 3,500rpm at 120kph but hardly need to downshift even though it has less power. Both are 6 speeds.