Author Topic: Ford C-MAX Canadian Fuel Economy Figures Announced  (Read 9059 times)

Offline Autos_Editor

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +91/-560
    • View Profile
Ford C-MAX Canadian Fuel Economy Figures Announced
« on: August 29, 2012, 09:03:24 am »

2013 Ford C-MAX Hybrid delivers NRCan certified 4.0 L/100 km city, 4.1 L/100 km highway ratings

Read More...

Offline tpl

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +298/-675
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Taos
Re: Ford C-MAX Canadian Fuel Economy Figures Announced
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2012, 09:19:09 am »
I'll be interested to see the EPA mileage numbers.  It sounds as if the C-max can meet CAFE type numbers of the end of this decade if not further...which should allow Ford to keep selling Boss Mustangs for a few years more.
The most radical revolutionary will become a conservative the day after the revolution.

Offline Sir Osis of Liver

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1376/-1726
  • Ramblin' man
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 KTM DUKE 390, 2019 VW Jetta GLI 35th Anniversary
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2012, 09:22:50 am »
Seems more likely, as usual.
On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last, and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.

H. L. Mencken

Offline Weels

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +253/-259
  • This is my happy face
    • View Profile
  • Cars: The 5's: 2023 Mazda CX-5, 2016 Mazda MX-5
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2012, 09:28:31 am »
Guess I haven't been keeping up - i didn't know the C-Max was even going to be offered here, let alone a hybrid version

Offline quadzilla

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +391/-634
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Rock'n Rolla Nightstalker
« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2012, 09:42:56 am »
C-MAX Hybrid returns the same fuel economy whether driving cross-country or across the city – stemming mostly from a growing list of Ford innovations that have helped the vehicle to deliver its 917 km overall range, sufficient for taking customers from Toronto to Ottawa and back on one tank of gas.

Maybe for somebody that drives like a granny but I'd never see that. Still, I might take one of these out once they become more available.

Offline redman

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +100/-298
  • Make mine a flat white, triple shot.
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee, 2010 Subaru Legacy Limited, 2009 Pontiac Vibe GT son's
« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2012, 11:06:40 am »
What about the plug-in version the C-Max Energi and rebates because it's plug-able ?
Past New (8yrs) Car Dealer for : BMW, Lexus, Nissan and Toyota<br />Past Used Vehicle Dealer: All Makes and Models. Seen a lot of it. Drove a lot of it. <br />Four-stroke Otto Engine 1876. Modern timer, pop-up toaster 1919 keep convincing yourself that you have the "latest appliance".

Offline ArticSteve

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +310/-6812
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Hobby Car: 15 Mustang Vert, V6, manual, 3.55 lsd; 2024 MDX Aspec; 2022 F150 TREMOR lifted
« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2012, 02:03:22 pm »
C-MAX Hybrid returns the same fuel economy whether driving cross-country or across the city – stemming mostly from a growing list of Ford innovations that have helped the vehicle to deliver its 917 km overall range, sufficient for taking customers from Toronto to Ottawa and back on one tank of gas.

Maybe for somebody that drives like a granny but I'd never see that. Still, I might take one of these out once they become more available.

I wouldn't hold your breath.  Appears the mileage claims from Ford are vastly overstated.

http://www.autoguide.com/manufacturer/ford/2013-ford-cmax-hybrid-review-video-2177.html

• Car Crazy
  • Ramblin' man
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2012, 03:25:05 pm »

I wouldn't hold your breath.  Appears the mileage claims from Ford are vastly overstated.

http://www.autoguide.com/manufacturer/ford/2013-ford-cmax-hybrid-review-video-2177.html

Right off the bat, there’s an issue though. Los Angeles is going through a substantial heat-wave, meaning that with temperatures in the high-80s or above, all our testing and photography will be done with the air-conditioning set to its maximum setting. Usually, over the course of a long day, this has a pretty significant impact on fuel-economy.

And it still beat the Prius V in fuel economy, while being quicker and handling better.

Offline ArticSteve

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Hobby Car: 15 Mustang Vert, V6, manual, 3.55 lsd; 2024 MDX Aspec; 2022 F150 TREMOR lifted
« Reply #8 on: August 30, 2012, 01:44:43 am »
And it still beat the Prius V in fuel economy, while being quicker and handling better.

Really  :)

http://reviews.cnet.com/wagon/2012-toyota-prius-v/4505-10866_7-35097990.html

Offline Ex-airbalancer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +729/-1584
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 Silverado 1500 LTZ ext ended cab , 2013 Lexus RX-350 F Sport
« Reply #9 on: August 30, 2012, 07:25:47 am »

Maybe maybe not, depends on the size of the tank
In our Pruis , we filled up in Tom River NJ, and filled up in Gananoque, do atleast 10km over the limited
And the hills are be higher then in Ontario
Pruis has a 40 l tank

• Car Crazy
  • Ramblin' man
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 30, 2012, 09:25:09 am »

Really  :)

http://reviews.cnet.com/wagon/2012-toyota-prius-v/4505-10866_7-35097990.html

Nice cherrypicking. I was referring to your first link:

In terms of the car’s powertrain, Ford’s 2.0L gas-electric engine combo makes a total of 188 hp. That’s 54-hp more than the Prius v, and it really feels that way on the road. Unlike other hybrids out there, the C-MAX is hearty, and has quite a bit of get-up-and-go in comparison to the Prius v.

With the AC blasting the whole day (even during photo shoots) we didn’t come close to the EPA’s rating of 47 mpg city/highway and combined, achieving 39 mpg during our day. While Ford’s average fuel economy numbers are 5 mpg above the Prius v, our test of that car returned 38 mpg, making for a negligible 1 mpg difference.

EPA agrees:
« Last Edit: August 30, 2012, 09:28:05 am by Sir Osis of Liver »

Offline quadzilla

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 30, 2012, 10:14:05 am »

In our Pruis , we filled up in Tom River NJ, and filled up in Gananoque, do atleast 10km over the limited
Pruis has a 40 l tank

Its 450km one way to Ottawa which makes 900 return and the car can go 917kms on one tank at best. Good luck.

Offline Ex-airbalancer

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 30, 2012, 10:50:38 am »

Pruis has a 40 l tank

Its 450km one way to Ottawa which makes 900 return and the car can go 917kms on one tank at best. Good luck.
if you take the 401 to 115 to 7 it is only 403 km  ;D

Offline quadzilla

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 30, 2012, 11:06:22 am »

Pruis has a 40 l tank

:thumbup:  Looks like it will make it with fuel to spare. Nice.

Offline Ex-airbalancer

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 30, 2012, 11:12:02 am »

Pruis has a 40 l tank

:thumbup:  Looks like it will make it with fuel to spare. Nice.

Nicer drive also

Offline redman

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee, 2010 Subaru Legacy Limited, 2009 Pontiac Vibe GT son's
« Reply #15 on: August 30, 2012, 11:39:35 am »

Oh goodie !! Yet another vehicle that does not live up to it's Gov't claimed fuel economy ratings. Seems to be a trend lately, especially with certain manufacturers.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2012, 11:44:02 am by redman »

• Car Crazy
  • Ramblin' man
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 30, 2012, 12:56:39 pm »

Oh goodie !! Yet another vehicle that does not live up to it's Gov't claimed fuel economy ratings. Seems to be a trend lately, especially with certain manufacturers.

WTF are you talking about? Any car can hit it's EPA estimate without really trying. With much effort you could hit the Transport Canada ratings. But that's not the point of the ratings. They are specifically a standardized test so consumers can compare one car to another. If you get worse than the EPA estimate for one with your driving style, you're going to get worse with the rest of them too.

The Autoguide guys specifically said they got worse than expected because it was really hot and had the AC on max for the duration of the test.

Offline TopGun

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +43/-165
  • Carbon fibre > Soft touch dash material
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 30, 2012, 02:04:25 pm »
I just don't know how you do it SirO.

I've been watching for the C-Max for a while now.  Even if it doesn't best the Prii in mileage, the many reviews just out state it is loads better to drive, and the interior quality superior.

And we all know that interior quality is the "be-all-end-all" right?

Offline redman

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 30, 2012, 02:15:52 pm »

WTF are you talking about? Any car can hit it's EPA estimate without really trying. With much effort you could hit the Transport Canada ratings. But that's not the point of the ratings. They are specifically a standardized test so consumers can compare one car to another. If you get worse than the EPA estimate for one with your driving style, you're going to get worse with the rest of them too.

The Autoguide guys specifically said they got worse than expected because it was really hot and had the AC on max for the duration of the test.

I may agree with the U.S. rating but simply Canadian fuel consumption ratings show that vehicles use about 20 per cent less gasoline than U.S. estimates indicate, which has prompted the Automobile Protection Association to call for changes in Canada's ratings.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/story/2011/11/27/f-fuel-efficiency-compare.html

Now put that in you pipe and smoke it.
The one thing that I would agree is they are standardized allowing for a comparison between like tested vehicles, but unless anyone is practicing Hypermileage techniques those posted numbers especially the Canadian numbers are far out of reach.

Consumer group cries foul on Hyundai's 40-mpg claim
http://www.consumerwatchdog.org/newsrelease/consumer-watchdog-urges-epa-re-test-elantra-40-mpg-claim-hold-hyundai-account
« Last Edit: August 30, 2012, 02:26:41 pm by redman »

Offline ArticSteve

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 30, 2012, 02:50:32 pm »
In terms of the car’s power train, Ford’s 2.0L gas-electric engine combo makes a total of 188 hp. That’s 54-hp more than the Prius v, and it really feels that way on the road. Unlike other hybrids out there, the C-MAX is hearty, and has quite a bit of get-up-and-go in comparison to the Prius v.

With the AC blasting the whole day (even during photo shoots) we didn’t come close to the EPA’s rating of 47 mpg city/highway and combined, achieving 39 mpg during our day. While Ford’s average fuel economy numbers are 5 mpg above the Prius v, our test of that car returned 38 mpg, making for a negligible 1 mpg difference.

EPA agrees:

Those estimates are crap.  Look at Hyundai, they're huge fibbers.  :D

My wife's 2012 TCH XLE gets 38 mpg minimum with the AC BLASTING, plus it does 0-60 in 7.6

That C-Max is gonna be craptastic.  First time Ford is using their version of the Toyota "eCVT" (11 years of refinement).  Good luck to the first adopters of that Ford unit based on their transmissions of late.

As for that EPA 42 mpg combined rating, like all of our Prius test drives dating back to 2000, the 2012 Prius v blessed us with a higher number. After 339 miles of mixed driving we average 43.7 mpg.

http://www.hybridcars.com/vehicle/toyota-prius-v.html