Author Topic: Canadian Pricing for the RS Sonic Announced  (Read 4458 times)

Offline CanuckS2K

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +398/-316
    • View Profile
    • Prestige Auto Detail
  • Cars: 1991 Toyota MR2 Turbo, 2005 Honda S2000, 2014 Infiniti Q50S, 2017 Ford F-150 Lariat
Re: Canadian Pricing for the RS Sonic Announced
« Reply #20 on: August 27, 2012, 04:11:26 pm »
I saw an LTZ 6 speed with a sunroof on the road in PEI yesterday. I thought what a cool little car. I have read a lot about it having a good highway ride with its longer gearing (not buzzy) and torquey turbo 4). I personally could live with a small car as my #2 car like that bacuse it would be great around town but also livable on long work trips when I am alone. If I was taking a long trip with the family I could always use the Sentra which has ample rear seat room and trunk space. I'm sure around town the kids would fit fine and luggage space would be adequate for groceries.

So I went to the Chev website and was shocked. Even in LTZ (not RS) trim the thing is more expensive than a Mazda 3 Skyactive which is bigger ,more powerful, maybe just as efficient possibly even more.

25K? Seriously? I understand that the 1.8 cheapy edition will be the volume seller but 25K should buy you a Sonic SS with maybe 180 hp and a bunch of go fast goodies.

26 K for an Auto? really? 26 k buys you an absolutely LOADED Elantra GT with Nav Leather and Backup camera.

26 K buys you a 200 HP VELOSTER TURBO with a Stick.

The pricing on this thing is a joke. Its a shame becuase it looks like its at the top of its class in the segement but its priced as if its in another segment entirely

26 K really? A Mini Cooper is only 24K..

I'm with you.  I had no idea how expensive this car is.  $26.4k for this is WAY overpriced IMO.  I also find the other trims rather pricey as well compared to the competition.  Perhaps it's why I haven't seen one on the road yet. 
Owner - Prestige Auto Detailing & Hammond River Brewing

Offline Nuttygent

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +7/-20
  • Every man dies...but not every man lives
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2015 Forte5 SX
« Reply #21 on: August 28, 2012, 12:43:38 pm »
  My fellow mechanics and I had quite a laugh at the pricing of the RS Sonic! You would think GM would be aggressive pricing wise to get them on the streets and crack the market, talk about not giving a good little car a chance.

Offline Sir Osis of Liver

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1376/-1726
  • Ramblin' man
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 KTM DUKE 390, 2019 VW Jetta GLI 35th Anniversary
« Reply #22 on: August 28, 2012, 01:25:43 pm »
  My fellow mechanics and I had quite a laugh at the pricing of the RS Sonic! You would think GM would be aggressive pricing wise to get them on the streets and crack the market, talk about not giving a good little car a chance.

It's selling better than the Fit and Mazda2 in Canada. It's in second place in its class in the US. Not shabby at all.
On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last, and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.

H. L. Mencken

Offline 2latecrew

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +11/-4
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2007 Nissan Sentra (AKA The Toaster)
« Reply #23 on: August 28, 2012, 02:00:03 pm »

It's selling better than the Fit and Mazda2 in Canada. It's in second place in its class in the US. Not shabby at all.
Any fleet sales number breakdowns?

Just curious if Sonics are being out into rental fleets which has in the past impacted "sales" numbers for domestic brands.

Offline Erik

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +60/-374
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2000 Honda Insight
« Reply #24 on: August 28, 2012, 02:02:47 pm »

Just curious if Sonics are being out into rental fleets which has in the past impacted "sales" numbers for domestic brands.

LOL.
I was waiting for that smelly red hearing to come back again.

"The car is the closest thing we will ever create to something that is alive." - Sir William Lyons

Offline 2latecrew

• Drunk on Fuel
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 28, 2012, 02:07:38 pm »

LOL.
How is that a red heeing. Its a well know fact that cars like Cobalts Focus previous version Taurus are favourites of rental fleets

GM, the largest U.S. automaker, reported on Wednesday a 6 percent drop in July U.S. sales, while Ford posted a 4 percent drop. The smallest U.S. automaker, Chrysler Group LLC, posted a 13 percent increase.
GM and Ford both pinned their declines on lower sales to fleet customers like rental car companies. GM’s fleet sales fell 41 percent, in line with the company’s forecast last month.

Offline Erik

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 28, 2012, 02:09:38 pm »
Actually, a Hyundai Veloster Turbo with a manual AND DELIVERY,vs the quoted price of the Sonic with delivery, is $27, 494.

In reality, the Sonic RS manual is about $23,500, vs $23,900 for the Mini, $25,995 for the Veloster, etc.

Offline Erik

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 28, 2012, 02:11:35 pm »

LOL.
How is that a red heeing. Its a well know fact that cars like Cobalts Focus previous version Taurus are favourites of rental fleets

GM, the largest U.S. automaker, reported on Wednesday a 6 percent drop in July U.S. sales, while Ford posted a 4 percent drop. The smallest U.S. automaker, Chrysler Group LLC, posted a 13 percent increase.
GM and Ford both pinned their declines on lower sales to fleet customers like rental car companies. GM’s fleet sales fell 41 percent, in line with the company’s forecast last month.

It just comes up anytime someone, usually Sir O, posts any good sales numbers for a GM product.

And let me just add that Fleet sales includes sales to the government, military, business use of trucks, etc.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2012, 02:17:44 pm by Erik »

Offline Erik

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 28, 2012, 02:15:07 pm »
I have seen a grand total of 1 sonic on the road in Ottawa.  Doesn't bode well, I see Fiesta's and Mazda2's everywhere.

I haven't driven a sonic either... hmmmm.

I'm seeing them almost every day in the GTA. Those four round headlights really stand out.

Offline 2latecrew

• Drunk on Fuel
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 28, 2012, 02:40:35 pm »

LOL.

It just comes up anytime someone, usually Sir O, posts any good sales numbers for a GM product.

And let me just add that Fleet sales includes sales to the government, military, business use of trucks, etc.

I don't believe it to be only GM. Its certain types of vehicles mid sized mainstream sedans for example. I would expect that say Hyundai Optima sales would be impacted by Fleet sales.

The point being that sales to fleets don't mean its a good car, popular with consumers or priced well for the CONSUMER. Its like someoe say Camouflage clothes are super popular. Everyone must think that's the best color. After all all look around you there are a tron of people warning them! It really doesn't matter that you are standing on a military base right?

Maybe the Sonic isvery popular and selling well. Maybe its not but without perspective we won't know.

Offline aaronk

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +45/-38
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: August 28, 2012, 02:42:32 pm »
I'm guessing most of the Sonic sales are from the lower trim models, where it makes sense. I would be interested to see, of the number sold, how many were kitted-out LTZ's.

Offline Jaeger

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +707/-12390
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2015 Hyundai Genesis 3.8 AWD, 2016 Honda Fit EX-L Navi, 2019 Genesis G80 3.3t Sport, 2021 Honda CB650R, 2023 Honda Monkey
« Reply #31 on: August 28, 2012, 03:04:59 pm »
I have seen a grand total of 1 sonic on the road in Ottawa.  Doesn't bode well, I see Fiesta's and Mazda2's everywhere.

I've seen exactly one as well - and it was the one Mike was test-driving at the time.  I've actually seen more Kizashis.
Wokeism is nothing more than the recognition and opposition of bigotry in all its forms.  Bigots are predictably triggered.

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1424/-2121
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2020 Toyota Tundra, 2021 Lexus GX460, 2018 Kawasaki Versys X300
« Reply #32 on: August 28, 2012, 03:07:56 pm »

I've seen exactly one as well - and it was the one Mike was test-driving at the time.  I've actually seen more Kizashis.

Now that you guys mention it, yeah, I have not see any of these things running around.
Lighten up Francis.....

Offline VictoryRed08

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +0/-0
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 Chevrolet Cruze
« Reply #33 on: October 04, 2012, 07:54:51 pm »
Ouch, $25k for the RS? It's closest competition is really more like a Honda fit sport, no? There's ~3.5K price difference which buys a bunch of kit in the RS? No thanks, not my taste.

For my money, I'd spend the ~ $500 more for the Abarth (actually, I intend to for my next car lol, so no bias at all). I had high hopes for the Veloster Turbo, but alas too much $$ and no sound (same story hear). Time to wait and see what Ford can do with the Fiesta ST...