Author Topic: Canadian Pricing for the RS Sonic Announced  (Read 4468 times)

Offline Autos_Editor

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +91/-560
    • View Profile
Canadian Pricing for the RS Sonic Announced
« on: August 24, 2012, 09:28:12 am »

The suggested retail price of the all-new 2013 Chevrolet Sonic RS with a six-speed manual transmission begins at $25,060 including destination. Sonic RS with the available six-speed automatic transmission starts at $26,410
Read More...

Offline ezbst

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +0/-3
  • No stranger to danger.
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 1991 BMW 318is
Re: Canadian Pricing for the RS Sonic Announced
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2012, 11:28:31 am »
Wishful thinking, GM.  That price is about 5K too dear.  All-in-all, the entire Sonic product line is just too pricey.  It's a competitive car in its segment but it's priced like a Focus instead of a Fiesta.  Don't expect a sales crown.

Offline Sir Osis of Liver

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1376/-1726
  • Ramblin' man
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 KTM DUKE 390, 2019 VW Jetta GLI 35th Anniversary
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2012, 12:10:35 pm »
The Sonic was the second best selling sub-compact last month in the US, and for the year so far. (The Versa really is a compact.)
Edited for accuracy  ;D
« Last Edit: August 24, 2012, 12:41:56 pm by Sir Osis of Liver »
On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last, and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.

H. L. Mencken

Offline Factger

• Enthusiast
  • Carma: +6/-6
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2018 Sportwagen 4 motion 2018 Ford Edge 2013 Ford Focus SE (5 Speed Man.)
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2012, 12:51:15 pm »
The Sonic was the second best selling sub-compact last month in the US, and for the year so far. (The Versa really is a compact.)
Edited for accuracy  ;D

sonic/AVEO  Two different cars. Can you show the breakdown between the two models?

• Car Crazy
  • Ramblin' man
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2012, 01:03:07 pm »
Edited for accuracy  ;D

sonic/AVEO  Two different cars. Can you show the breakdown between the two models?

16 Aveos were sold in America in January 2012; 17 in February, 9 in March, 6 in April, 5 in May, 3 in June, 2 in July.

Offline SaskSpecV

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +87/-149
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2015 Subaru Forester Touring 6MT, 2009 Hyundai Elantra Touring GLsport 5MT, 2009 GMC Sierra 2500 6.0L
« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2012, 01:22:29 pm »
The Sonic was the second best selling sub-compact last month in the US, and for the year so far.

The Sonic may be doing OK in the US, but it's not lighting up the Canadian sales charts:

http://www.goodcarbadcar.net/2012/08/canada-july-2012-car-sales-figures.html

844 sold in july, 5834 for 2012

Comparable to the Fiat 500 and Kia Soul, and well above the Fit and Mazda2.
But a little ways behind the Yaris for the year (~6800), quite a ways behind the Fiesta (8470) Rio (8038) and Versa (7916); and absolutely killed by the Accent (> 15,000).

This is an especially price-conscious market, and the ambitious MSRP and lack of significant discounts are probably hurting Sonic sales relative to other subcompacts.  I think the Sonic is a great offereing in this class, but GM has absolutely zero positive brand cache in this particular segment (Aveo, anyone?).  The Sonic pricing in general (and RS model in particular), as with most GM products, seems to be a stretch until the discounts become available.

• Car Crazy
  • Ramblin' man
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2012, 02:36:16 pm »
It's about mid-pack in Canada. I'm sure the marketing guys are looking close at the price/sales tradeoff to try to get to a sweetspot.

Offline aaronk

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +45/-38
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2012, 02:49:04 pm »
That outprices the Fiat 500 turbo by $5K. This is more than Abarth money, this is FR-S money! That puts things in perspective...

Offline jaari

• Enthusiast
  • Carma: +13/-36
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 24, 2012, 09:46:33 pm »
gm needs to put the bong down, 25,000+ for that dog?
I'd  sooner get a 500 Abarth,Veloster turbo etc... :rofl2:

Offline Kirspin

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +1/-3
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 27, 2012, 09:20:34 am »
On Saturday the Detroit News announced another recall for this US Made sub compact, this is the second problem with this Vehicle and I would say no thanks too!
Anything GM tries to manufacture in North America seems to be a failure, wondery why eh?

Offline wing

• Big Wig
  • Administrator
  • Carma: +279/-320
  • If you ain't first ... you're last!
    • View Profile
    • Drivesideways
  • Cars: 2009 Lexus ISF, 2009 Lexus LX570,2011 Audi A5 Touring Car
« Reply #10 on: August 27, 2012, 09:24:00 am »
I have seen a grand total of 1 sonic on the road in Ottawa.  Doesn't bode well, I see Fiesta's and Mazda2's everywhere.

I haven't driven a sonic either... hmmmm.

Offline 2latecrew

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +11/-4
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2007 Nissan Sentra (AKA The Toaster)
« Reply #11 on: August 27, 2012, 10:19:31 am »
I saw an LTZ 6 speed with a sunroof on the road in PEI yesterday. I thought what a cool little car. I have read a lot about it having a good highway ride with its longer gearing (not buzzy) and torquey turbo 4). I personally could live with a small car as my #2 car like that bacuse it would be great around town but also livable on long work trips when I am alone. If I was taking a long trip with the family I could always use the Sentra which has ample rear seat room and trunk space. I'm sure around town the kids would fit fine and luggage space would be adequate for groceries.

So I went to the Chev website and was shocked. Even in LTZ (not RS) trim the thing is more expensive than a Mazda 3 Skyactive which is bigger ,more powerful, maybe just as efficient possibly even more.

25K? Seriously? I understand that the 1.8 cheapy edition will be the volume seller but 25K should buy you a Sonic SS with maybe 180 hp and a bunch of go fast goodies.

26 K for an Auto? really? 26 k buys you an absolutely LOADED Elantra GT with Nav Leather and Backup camera.

26 K buys you a 200 HP VELOSTER TURBO with a Stick.

The pricing on this thing is a joke. Its a shame becuase it looks like its at the top of its class in the segement but its priced as if its in another segment entirely

26 K really? A Mini Cooper is only 24K..

« Last Edit: August 27, 2012, 11:33:17 am by 2latecrew »

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1424/-2121
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2020 Toyota Tundra, 2021 Lexus GX460, 2018 Kawasaki Versys X300
« Reply #12 on: August 27, 2012, 10:23:05 am »
So a couple of plastic skirts and some fancy wheels are bringing this little shitbox into FR-S money.....good luck GM...... ::)
Lighten up Francis.....

Offline Mike

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +172/-99
  • Lurker
    • View Profile
  • Cars: A Beater and an Ascent
« Reply #13 on: August 27, 2012, 10:34:45 am »
And lower gearing for the 6-speed manual.  The tall gearing kills the fun in the LTZ

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1424/-2121
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2020 Toyota Tundra, 2021 Lexus GX460, 2018 Kawasaki Versys X300
« Reply #14 on: August 27, 2012, 10:37:25 am »
And lower gearing for the 6-speed manual.  The tall gearing kills the fun in the LTZ

My apologies about the gearing, does it make it as good of a driver as the Toyobaru twins???  ;D

Offline Factger

• Enthusiast
  • Carma: +6/-6
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2018 Sportwagen 4 motion 2018 Ford Edge 2013 Ford Focus SE (5 Speed Man.)
« Reply #15 on: August 27, 2012, 11:17:07 am »
I really like the sonic LTZ but like 2latecrew said it is not worth it.

Basic LTZ in the US  - $19190  in Canada - $22 490.

Cruze comparably equiped  (with 1.4l turbo) - $22,030

Ummm GM Canadian dollar at par here.

• Car Crazy
  • Ramblin' man
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 27, 2012, 11:20:36 am »
I saw an RS 6 speed with a sunroof on the road in PEI yesterday. I thought what a cool little car. I have read a lot about it having a good highway ride with its longer gearing (not buzzy) and torquey turbo 4). I personally could live with a small car as my #2 car like that bacuse it would be great around town but also livable on long work trips when I am alone. If I was taking a long trip with the family I could always use the Sentra which has ample rear seat room and trunk space. I'm sure around town the kids would fit fine and luggage space would be adequate for groceries.

So I went to the Chev website and was shocked. Even in LTZ (not RS) trim the thing is more expensive than a Mazda 3 Skyactive which is bigger ,more powerful, maybe just as efficient possibly even more.

25K? Seriously? I understand that the 1.8 cheapy edition will be the volume seller but 25K should buy you a Sonic SS with maybe 180 hp and a bunch of go fast goodies.

26 K for an Auto? really? 26 k buys you an absolutely LOADED Elantra GT with Nav Leather and Backup camera.

The pricing on this thing is a joke. Its a shame becuase it looks like its at the top of its class in the segement but its priced as if its in another segment entirely

Wow, loaded cars are expensive, what a revelation. ::)

For a few hundred bucks you can get the a tune for the 1.4T that kickes it up to near 180hp, though I've seen some tunes that hit 240hp.

Offline aaronk

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +45/-38
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 27, 2012, 11:38:12 am »
I saw an RS 6 speed with a sunroof on the road in PEI yesterday. I thought what a cool little car. I have read a lot about it having a good highway ride with its longer gearing (not buzzy) and torquey turbo 4). I personally could live with a small car as my #2 car like that bacuse it would be great around town but also livable on long work trips when I am alone. If I was taking a long trip with the family I could always use the Sentra which has ample rear seat room and trunk space. I'm sure around town the kids would fit fine and luggage space would be adequate for groceries.

For a few hundred bucks you can get the a tune for the 1.4T that kickes it up to near 180hp, though I've seen some tunes that hit 240hp.

Wow, 180 with a tune! That's...wait, that's what a $20K Scion Tc has without a turbo and no tune. Hmmm.

Offline 2latecrew

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +11/-4
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2007 Nissan Sentra (AKA The Toaster)
« Reply #18 on: August 27, 2012, 11:41:02 am »

Loaded? I don't see NAv in there. Nor even power seats.
 26 k buys you an absolutely LOADED Elantra GT with Nav Leather and Backup camera.

Aftermarket tunes have no place in this discussion.  If they put a FACTORY tune in the thing that gave it 180 HP its not unreasonable to demand a pretty stiff premium but this has the same engine in it as a 20 K LTZ (which BTW is still priced up at the top of its class)

• Car Crazy
  • Ramblin' man
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 27, 2012, 04:03:36 pm »

Loaded? I don't see NAv in there. Nor even power seats.
 26 k buys you an absolutely LOADED Elantra GT with Nav Leather and Backup camera.

Aftermarket tunes have no place in this discussion.  If they put a FACTORY tune in the thing that gave it 180 HP its not unreasonable to demand a pretty stiff premium but this has the same engine in it as a 20 K LTZ (which BTW is still priced up at the top of its class)

If a person is looking at the sport version of something, they just might be interested in tuning it. Turbos are relatively easy.

The LOADed Elantra GT is also pulling 9.7 second 0-60 times, the stock Sonic LTZ is in the 7.8 second range, with shorter gearing, this should be a few tenths quicker still. Plus it has 4 real doors and a usable back seat as opposed to the Veloster.

Like everything else, it depends on your priorities.