Author Topic: No Passing on the Right Nonsense.  (Read 31981 times)

Offline george

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +1/-30
    • View Profile
Re: No Passing on the Right Nonsense.
« Reply #60 on: August 10, 2012, 03:01:10 pm »
^^ Driving in Germany is a beautiful thing. The lane is kept open and fast. Gorgeous.

Until fog rolls around and a hundred idiots all pile into one another because they would not slow down.

Germans are now speed-limiting their highways.

::)  Because that would NEVER happen on a highway like the 401.....Give your head a shake.

Nowhere near the extent to which it happens in Europe. Hundred car pileups are very rare on the 401.

Offline george

• Learner's Permit
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: August 10, 2012, 03:05:11 pm »
Never underestimate the prevalence of blissful and stubborn stupidity.  It is astonishly stupid, selfish and dangerous to contend that you have the right to block faster moving traffic from passing in the left lane.  Unbelievable.

What I am contenting is that I will not put myself in danger just because someone wants to go faster. If I can move over safely I will do so, if not, the guy behind me is just going to have to wait.

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1424/-2122
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2020 Toyota Tundra, 2021 Lexus GX460, 2018 Kawasaki Versys X300
« Reply #62 on: August 10, 2012, 03:05:44 pm »
Never underestimate the prevalence of blissful and stubborn stupidity.  It is astonishly stupid, selfish and dangerous to contend that you have the right to block faster moving traffic from passing in the left lane.  Unbelievable.

Like I dont understand how he doesnt see that as a flawed way of thinking, its one of those just cause you can, doesnt mean you should things.
Lighten up Francis.....

vdk

« Reply #63 on: August 10, 2012, 03:08:36 pm »

Like I dont understand how he doesnt see that as a flawed way of thinking, its one of those just cause you can, doesnt mean you should things.

Your answer: http://news.yahoo.com/incompetent-people-too-ignorant-know-175402902.html

Excuse the source, I don't remember where I read it first.

Offline tooscoops

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +325/-227
  • "stealership" employee
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '75 AMC Pacer, '70 Morgan 4/4, '21 Pacifica Hybrid, '21 Wrangler Rubicon
« Reply #64 on: August 10, 2012, 03:37:14 pm »
If you're policing the left lane by driving slower than the traffic flow, you're causing congestion.  This causes cars to bunch together, greatly increasing the risk of collisions.  Yeah, it's stupid people that tailgate, etc, but left-lane-blockers contribute to the cause.  Also, one of the main causes of impacts on the highway is the speed difference of cars.  Someone traveling at 80km/h in traffic that is flowing at 110km/h is as much of a danger as someone traveling 140km/h in traffic flowing at 110.  The person driving 80 thinks they're safe, but they're a major hazard too.

I am not driving slower than the traffic flow in the lane I am in but what I will not do is tailgate the car in front of me just because the driver behind me expects me to nor will I move into the right lane if it is already congested.

well, since you are blocking them, it would be impossible for the traffic behind you to go faster... just becuase you are driving the same speed at that point in time doesn't mean you aren't hindering them.

and for your other line... "What I am contenting is that I will not put myself in danger just because someone wants to go faster. If I can move over safely I will do so, if not, the guy behind me is just going to have to wait."

are you attempting to say that you moving into the lane that *eventually* people will be merging into is putting you in danger?

oh, also... hundred car pileups aren'r rare in germany, but are here?  whatever. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Multiple-vehicle_collision ... not the best source, but still...

i see two in ontario, and one in germany.
i used to be addicted to soap, but i'm clean now

Offline neil

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +20/-68
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: August 10, 2012, 03:56:49 pm »
Whatever you do, don't get George started on the Zipper Merge. :popcorn:

Offline george

• Learner's Permit
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: August 10, 2012, 04:13:24 pm »
well, since you are blocking them, it would be impossible for the traffic behind you to go faster... just becuase you are driving the same speed at that point in time doesn't mean you aren't hindering them.

So what? People hinder me all the time. I too would like an open road in front of me all the time but the roads have to be shared.

and for your other line... "What I am contenting is that I will not put myself in danger just because someone wants to go faster. If I can move over safely I will do so, if not, the guy behind me is just going to have to wait."

are you attempting to say that you moving into the lane that *eventually* people will be merging into is putting you in danger?
What I am saying is that if there is too much traffic in the right lane for me to maintain proper distances from cars in front and back then I am not going into the right lane.
oh, also... hundred car pileups aren'r rare in germany, but are here?  whatever. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Multiple-vehicle_collision ... not the best source, but still...
Count again, Germany is mentioned more than once.

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: August 10, 2012, 04:20:50 pm »

LMAO :rofl:

Offline george

• Learner's Permit
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: August 10, 2012, 04:21:47 pm »

Zipper merge would be nice if it always worked in Ontario but, generally, when a lane is ending due to construction pylons, two cars from the terminating lane gets thru for every car in the thru lane. Which is why some drivers shift over from the thru lane into the terminating lane when they come upon a construction obstruction because they know from experience that they will get thru much faster.

See what you did? You got me started on the Zipper Merge.

Offline tooscoops

• Car Crazy
  • "stealership" employee
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '75 AMC Pacer, '70 Morgan 4/4, '21 Pacifica Hybrid, '21 Wrangler Rubicon
« Reply #69 on: August 10, 2012, 05:13:12 pm »

So what? People hinder me all the time. I too would like an open road in front of me all the time but the roads have to be shared.
wasn't a question of what you prefer.

What I am saying is that if there is too much traffic in the right lane for me to maintain proper distances from cars in front and back then I am not going into the right lane.
you are unable to maintain a specific distance from the car in front of you?... hmmm... news to me. from behind, i gather you will be tailgated in the bingo parking lot.

you're right... my bad. two. totally not a rare occurence then. you have totally nulled my point.[/sarcasm]

Offline aaronk

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +45/-38
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: August 10, 2012, 05:26:00 pm »

lol!  ;D  At least we all still have a sense of humour after all this...which is impressive.

George, don't go to Russia - as per another thread about Russian road rage, you'd probably get shot...or at least violated.   :bang:

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: August 10, 2012, 05:28:23 pm »

lol!  ;D  At least we all still have a sense of humour after all this...which is impressive.

George, don't go to Russia - as per another thread about Russian road rage, you'd probably get shot...or at least violated.   :bang:

:o nothing like surprise butt sex to make one rethink their values.......

Offline Snowman

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +702/-1347
  • “It’s never crowded along the extra mile.”
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Cars: 2012 Audi TT-RS. 2011 Toyota Venza AWD.2004 Honda S2000 Bikes: Giant Defy Avdvanced 0. Giant Talon 29 "hardtail"
« Reply #72 on: August 10, 2012, 05:31:02 pm »

:rofl: :rofl:

Offline george

• Learner's Permit
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: August 10, 2012, 05:54:24 pm »

wasn't a question of what you prefer.
My point exactly. It isn't what you or I prefer, the road has to be shared and one does not always get to travel at as high a speed as one would like.

you are unable to maintain a specific distance from the car in front of you?... hmmm... news to me. from behind, i gather you will be tailgated in the bingo parking lot.
If the lane is too crowded, someone is always cutting in in front if you leave a safe distance, so it becomes impractical to leave a safe distance in front. Someone tailgating me in the bingo parking lot does not lead to accidents because the speed is very low.

you're right... my bad. two. totally not a rare occurence then. you have totally nulled my point.[/sarcasm]

Offline tooscoops

• Car Crazy
  • "stealership" employee
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: August 10, 2012, 05:59:01 pm »
you seem to easily switch from safety being priority one, to practicality being more important when it comes to your own wants... then, when it comes to other peopls desires (ie. only using the left for passing), you claim its all about your safety and you are allowed to drive that way...

seems like you are incredibly self centered regarding this... not only that, but what you do is against stated law.

i really don't care one way or the other, but then you even attempt to say you aren't being a jerk and that the 99% of the people calling you that are just plain wrong.

man... delusion sounds fun.

Offline george

• Learner's Permit
    • View Profile
« Reply #75 on: August 10, 2012, 07:35:01 pm »
Gotta be more precise, 99% of the drivers ON THIS FORUM disagree with me.

We would not have speed limits, street racing laws, truck speed limiters etc if it were left to the drivers on this forum and we would have more accidents and more severe ones. The drop in truck-related fatalities after speed-limiters were introduced would not have happened. We would be burning more fossil fuel travelling at higher speeds. We probably would not have all the emissions controls we have(they tend to hurt performance) and would have to put up with dirtier air if it were all left to the drivers on this forum.

Luckily the general public takes a more balanced view of the need for speed limits, instead of the "speed at any cost" views espoused on this forum.

Offline tenpenny

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +137/-305
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: August 10, 2012, 08:04:26 pm »
Gotta be more precise, 99% of the drivers ON THIS FORUM disagree with me.

We would not have speed limits, street racing laws, truck speed limiters etc if it were left to the drivers on this forum and we would have more accidents and more severe ones.

Actually, no, the idea is that drivers develop skills.  That would reduce accidents.

I understand that you probably have difficulty controlling your car, and dealing with such difficult multitasking as breathing while pressing the accelerator, but you must learn that you are, in fact, an exception to the rule, and just because you are incapable of functioning, not everyone is in the same boat.
My diesel car self-identifies as an electric vehicle.

Offline CanuckS2K

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +398/-316
    • View Profile
    • Prestige Auto Detail
  • Cars: 1991 Toyota MR2 Turbo, 2005 Honda S2000, 2014 Infiniti Q50S, 2017 Ford F-150 Lariat
« Reply #77 on: August 10, 2012, 09:04:42 pm »
I haven't been on the forum all day but reading this thread certainly has been an entertaining one!   ;D

I remember when I first drove in Europe for the first time (it was Portugal on the A2 auto-estrada) and what an awesome experience it was.  Going south from Lisbon (I was in an Opel Corsa) and I was doing a steady 150km/h and was passing a slower car.  Out of freaking no where came a Porsche 911 flashing his lights at me.......basically meaning get the fvck over.  At first thought, I was like what the hell is this guy doing????  It wasn't long after that same day I knew what it was all about and why he was flashing the lights.  After many trips to Europe since then, I feel MUCH safer driving over there at 150+km/h than I do here at much slower speeds.   
Owner - Prestige Auto Detailing & Hammond River Brewing

Offline george

• Learner's Permit
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: August 10, 2012, 09:33:53 pm »
I understand that you probably have difficulty controlling your car, and dealing with such difficult multitasking as breathing while pressing the accelerator, but you must learn that you are, in fact, an exception to the rule, and just because you are incapable of functioning, not everyone is in the same boat.

With the lucid, cogent, thoughtful, rational arguments you put forward I will admit defeat. You made it all so clear!

Offline Ex-airbalancer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +729/-1584
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 Silverado 1500 LTZ ext ended cab , 2013 Lexus RX-350 F Sport
« Reply #79 on: August 10, 2012, 10:33:10 pm »
I haven't been on the forum all day but reading this thread certainly has been an entertaining one!   ;D

I remember when I first drove in Europe for the first time (it was Portugal on the A2 auto-estrada) and what an awesome experience it was.  Going south from Lisbon (I was in an Opel Corsa) and I was doing a steady 150km/h and was passing a slower car.  Out of freaking no where came a Porsche 911 flashing his lights at me.......basically meaning get the fvck over.  At first thought, I was like what the hell is this guy doing????  It wasn't long after that same day I knew what it was all about and why he was flashing the lights.  After many trips to Europe since then, I feel MUCH safer driving over there at 150+km/h than I do here at much slower speeds.

In the 70's & 80's in Ontario, people use to flash lights to get people to move over, you do not see that anymore