Author Topic: No Passing on the Right Nonsense.  (Read 31999 times)

Offline tpl

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +298/-675
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Taos
Re: No Passing on the Right Nonsense.
« Reply #40 on: August 10, 2012, 12:12:21 pm »
George  note that phrase  " normal speed of traffic at that time and place shall "     That means that if the traffic is averaging 120 km/h at that time and place then slower drivers should stay to the right. All those other drivers may be committing an offence but you shall stay right and keep out of their way.
The most radical revolutionary will become a conservative the day after the revolution.

Offline george

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +1/-30
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: August 10, 2012, 12:18:27 pm »
I don't have a problem with keeping to the right when it is safe to do so. What I do have a problem with is the right lane congested with traffic and drivers following each other too closely because of volume.

This section of the HTA gets quoted all the time. Only thing is people only see what they want to see. They don't see "where practicable". That is a very important qualifier that people don't "see" because it does not fit in with their agenda, which is "the (imaginary) right to speed trumps everything else, including safety". Also summarised as "speed at any cost"
« Last Edit: August 10, 2012, 12:24:56 pm by george »

Offline tooscoops

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +325/-227
  • "stealership" employee
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '75 AMC Pacer, '70 Morgan 4/4, '21 Pacifica Hybrid, '21 Wrangler Rubicon
« Reply #42 on: August 10, 2012, 12:20:09 pm »
how is talking about what lane to drive in and what lane to pass in derailing this thread? pretty sure thats the basis for the chat.

anywho...

its not up for debate. left lane = passing lane. when not passing and it is safe to do so, you are to move to the right lane for regular driving.

and for the 1/3 of drivers situation... not all people in the passing lane are jerks. if traffic is slow moving, all lanes will be fully utilized meaning no lane is always going to be moving faster. dumbasses who just scoot to the passing lane assuming it will be faster ion the long run such as you are the reason it doesn't move quickly. its not the lane itself that makes it go faster, its the people driving the cars in the lane.
i used to be addicted to soap, but i'm clean now

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1424/-2122
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2020 Toyota Tundra, 2021 Lexus GX460, 2018 Kawasaki Versys X300
« Reply #43 on: August 10, 2012, 12:22:32 pm »
 :banghead: :banghead: :banghead:  ::) Keep blocking the passing/fast lane George, this is the 2nd or 3rd time youve come in here with the same argument so obviously anything anyone says is useless. If you want to be a government subsized rolling speed bump, its up to you, but just to let you know, the other drivers will find you a jerk.
Lighten up Francis.....

Offline johngenx

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +758/-938
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2009 Toyota Corolla, 2004 Toyota Highlander V-6 4WD, 2001 Subaru Forester, 1994 Mazda Miata
« Reply #44 on: August 10, 2012, 12:27:22 pm »
Oh, I care if you are doing 280km/hr on public roads. You are a menace to everyone else and I hope they confiscate your car. We have street racing laws in Ontario that enable confiscation.

I've driven that fast, and even faster, on a public road.  You'd never know it though, as it was only on certain roads in certain conditions and at certain times.  True that a mistake would probably have resulted in a fatality, but only mine.

Given that, I agree that speeds that high should be illegal.  Canadian drivers, for the most part, lack the skill to drive at speeds much higher than about 20km/h.

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: August 10, 2012, 12:30:03 pm »
Oh, I care if you are doing 280km/hr on public roads. You are a menace to everyone else and I hope they confiscate your car. We have street racing laws in Ontario that enable confiscation.

I've driven that fast, and even faster, on a public road.  You'd never know it though, as it was only on certain roads in certain conditions and at certain times.  True that a mistake would probably have resulted in a fatality, but only mine.

Given that, I agree that speeds that high should be illegal.  Canadian drivers, for the most part, lack the skill to drive at speeds much higher than about 20km/h.

:rofl: Aint that the truth. I only put up 280Km/h as an exageration, I dont think anyone with half a brain would be driving that fast on a busy highway. The point I was trying to get across is that if you re going below the speed limit or above, stay out of the passing lane unless youre passing, that is all.

Offline dougjp

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +165/-170
  • Cars: 2019 VW Jetta GLI, 2014 Elantra GT
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: August 10, 2012, 12:55:36 pm »
:banghead: :banghead: :banghead:  ::) Keep blocking the passing/fast lane George, this is the 2nd or 3rd time youve come in here with the same argument so obviously anything anyone says is useless. If you want to be a government subsized rolling speed bump, its up to you, but just to let you know, the other drivers will find you a jerk.

+1. Just keep doing that George, and in NO TIME you will find your fear of driving in the right lane will be dwarfed by what happens to you in the PASSING lane. My advice to you is get off the multi lane highways in rush hour, take another route to your destination. You are "an accident waiting to happen" as they say. You can be spinning into the guardrail at high speed while saying to your self "its not my fault, its the guy behind me", just like you coming in here and can't understand what passing lane means (listening skills problem). Whatever, the reality is it is you spinning into the guardrail, and you don't want to be there. Safety first!

Offline george

• Learner's Permit
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: August 10, 2012, 01:44:35 pm »
I have driven for decades on the highways and have never been involved in an accident or even come close to one (I see other drivers having close calls/actual collisions). I don't even have collision coverage on my vehicle, just liability because I never get into accidents. Now I am going spinning into a guardrail because dougjp thinks it is likely? Don't think so.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2012, 01:48:04 pm by george »

Offline wing

• Big Wig
  • Administrator
  • Carma: +279/-320
  • If you ain't first ... you're last!
    • View Profile
    • Drivesideways
  • Cars: 2009 Lexus ISF, 2009 Lexus LX570,2011 Audi A5 Touring Car
« Reply #48 on: August 10, 2012, 01:45:47 pm »
LOL good entertainment for a friday

Offline tooscoops

• Car Crazy
  • "stealership" employee
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '75 AMC Pacer, '70 Morgan 4/4, '21 Pacifica Hybrid, '21 Wrangler Rubicon
« Reply #49 on: August 10, 2012, 02:04:13 pm »
I have driven for decades on the highways and have never been involved in an accident or even come close to one (I see other drivers having close calls/actual collisions). I don't even have collision coverage on my vehicle, just liability because I never get into accidents. Now I am going spinning into a guardrail because dougjp thinks it is likely? Don't think so.

you know why you see so many close calls?

you probably cause them.

Offline aaronk

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +45/-38
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: August 10, 2012, 02:18:41 pm »
In addition to left-lane drivers being JERKS, it is actually the least safe lane in which to drive...probably why it's intended only as a PASSING lane. First you're closest to oncoming traffic on a divided highway, so if someone has an issue on the other side of the road (burst transport tire, flying debris from a pickup, collision) you're the first lane to be affected. Furthermore, you have the furthest distance to travel to get to the shoulder should you have a problem (cross 3 lanes of traffic), and in many scenarios there isn't a shoulder in the fast lane.

The worst I've seen is when someone gets a flat tire or has a problem with their car and actually stops in the left lane. They are basically asking to be obliterated by a transport who can't move over in time.

I vote for using left-lane drivers as target practice for our Forces' artillery. Good training for the troops (moving targets) and slowly get rid of left-laners.  ;)

Offline aaronk

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +45/-38
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: August 10, 2012, 02:21:52 pm »
* I should note that the whole concept of left lane as a passing lane only does get a bit fuzzy in rush hour, as all lanes are jammed. But I think once it opens up and traffic is moving at a decent pace, vehicles can start to move over and clear up the fast lane for passing.

It would be interesting to see how much more efficient our roads would be if this simple principle alone were adhered to. I'd say there would be a 15% reduction in fuel consumption and probably 10-15% time saved for the average highway commuter, maybe more.

Offline tooscoops

• Car Crazy
  • "stealership" employee
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: August 10, 2012, 02:23:59 pm »
plus, insanity levels will drop. as will road rage...

Offline george

• Learner's Permit
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: August 10, 2012, 02:39:25 pm »
you know why you see so many close calls?
you probably cause them.

Wow, I did not realise I had this power to make other supposedly sane drivers do stupid things and get into accidents. "accidents' is a misnomer, collisions are almost always the result of some imbecilic action by some idiot driver. If everybody maintained safe distances from other cars, there will be very few collisions. If impatient drivers maintained a sane speed they will not be sliding or spinning out.

Offline johngenx

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2009 Toyota Corolla, 2004 Toyota Highlander V-6 4WD, 2001 Subaru Forester, 1994 Mazda Miata
« Reply #54 on: August 10, 2012, 02:42:17 pm »
Albertans are getting better.  Must be the immigration...   ;D

In Montana, NO ONE seemed to have a clue about slower traffic keeping right.  In fact, the locals seemed to drive like they were all fleeing from the insane asylum.  Running lights/stop signs, swerving into on-coming, and on and on.

In Washington state, we found people drive very well on the interstates.  Lots of attention to staying right, always letting merging traffic on, and so on.  In Seattle however, it was a mixed bag of good and horrible drivers.

In California, when traffic was actually moving, we also found lane discipline excellent.  We stayed away from LA, etc, so can't comment on the urban traffic.

Offline george

• Learner's Permit
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: August 10, 2012, 02:43:21 pm »
^^ Driving in Germany is a beautiful thing. The lane is kept open and fast. Gorgeous.

Until fog rolls around and a hundred idiots all pile into one another because they would not slow down.

Germans are now speed-limiting their highways.

Offline johngenx

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: August 10, 2012, 02:46:18 pm »
Wow, I did not realise I had this power to make other supposedly sane drivers do stupid things and get into accidents. "accidents' is a misnomer, collisions are almost always the result of some imbecilic action by some idiot driver. If everybody maintained safe distances from other cars, there will be very few collisions. If impatient drivers maintained a sane speed they will not be sliding or spinning out.

If you're policing the left lane by driving slower than the traffic flow, you're causing congestion.  This causes cars to bunch together, greatly increasing the risk of collisions.  Yeah, it's stupid people that tailgate, etc, but left-lane-blockers contribute to the cause.  Also, one of the main causes of impacts on the highway is the speed difference of cars.  Someone traveling at 80km/h in traffic that is flowing at 110km/h is as much of a danger as someone traveling 140km/h in traffic flowing at 110.  The person driving 80 thinks they're safe, but they're a major hazard too.

Offline quadzilla

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +391/-634
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Rock'n Rolla Nightstalker
« Reply #57 on: August 10, 2012, 02:52:30 pm »
^^ Driving in Germany is a beautiful thing. The lane is kept open and fast. Gorgeous.

Until fog rolls around and a hundred idiots all pile into one another because they would not slow down.

::)  Because that would NEVER happen on a highway like the 401.....Give your head a shake.

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: August 10, 2012, 02:56:26 pm »

Why is it so hard for you to face that you are wrong, your whole mentality and attitude towards driving is wrong. You say youve driven for decades without accidents but watched people have all sorts of accidents around you, maybe thats you. Hogging the passing lane or not letting people merge is just as dangerous as speeding. Christ.....again with the  :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead:

Offline george

• Learner's Permit
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: August 10, 2012, 02:58:10 pm »
If you're policing the left lane by driving slower than the traffic flow, you're causing congestion.  This causes cars to bunch together, greatly increasing the risk of collisions.  Yeah, it's stupid people that tailgate, etc, but left-lane-blockers contribute to the cause.  Also, one of the main causes of impacts on the highway is the speed difference of cars.  Someone traveling at 80km/h in traffic that is flowing at 110km/h is as much of a danger as someone traveling 140km/h in traffic flowing at 110.  The person driving 80 thinks they're safe, but they're a major hazard too.

I am not driving slower than the traffic flow in the lane I am in but what I will not do is tailgate the car in front of me just because the driver behind me expects me to nor will I move into the right lane if it is already congested.