Author Topic: No Passing on the Right Nonsense.  (Read 32008 times)

Offline ArticSteve

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +310/-6813
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Hobby Car: 15 Mustang Vert, V6, manual, 3.55 lsd; 2024 MDX Aspec; 2022 F150 TREMOR lifted
Re: No Passing on the Right Nonsense.
« Reply #20 on: August 09, 2012, 10:35:10 pm »
A solid yellow line is meant to indicate that it is not generally safe to pass at that location.  And there's usually a pretty good reason why the yellow line is solid in those places.  But no, it isn't a prohibition.

Yes, but what about the DOUBLE  solid yellow?

Like RR says, no restrictions.  Most ppl are timid and afraid of the law so they ASSume that crossing the double yellow is even more of an infraction than the single yellow.  I cross these lines frequently on long sweeping curves, etc., and ppl are honking and flashing their lights at me as I go by.   :rofl2:

The problem is that generally one is exceeding the speed limit when crossing yellows so one needs to be on high PO PO alert.

Offline george

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +1/-30
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 09, 2012, 10:42:06 pm »
And another point regarding merging - you shouldn't have to leave the slow lane to allow someone to merge. Firstly the driver should accelerate to highway speed before merging, so nobody should have to brake or move over. Secondly, cars in the slow lane should leave enough of a gap for a car to safely merge into the lane - not see someone trying to get into the lane so you move up and block them out.
Somtimes the on-ramps are not long enough for incoming traffic to get up to full speed. Even on long ramps, large trucks simply do not have enough acceleration to come up to full speed. Not everyone drives 200+hp cars. If the volume of traffic is very high there is no way to avoid slowing down to let incoming traffic in. I always stay out of the right lane near busy ramps. If you feel strongly about staying in the right lane near busy ramps then that is your choice but you won't find me doing that.
« Last Edit: August 09, 2012, 10:46:04 pm by george »

Offline The Mighty Duck

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +34/-44
  • f*** that duck
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2010 MINI Cooper S | Past: 1999 Honda Civic, 2009 Honda Fit
« Reply #22 on: August 09, 2012, 11:34:17 pm »
Like RR says, no restrictions.  Most ppl are timid and afraid of the law so they ASSume that crossing the double yellow is even more of an infraction than the single yellow. I cross these lines frequently on long sweeping curves, etc., and ppl are honking and flashing their lights at me as I go by.   :rofl2:

The problem is that generally one is exceeding the speed limit when crossing yellows so one needs to be on high PO PO alert.

They're right - that is illegal.

Section 149 (1): No vehicle shall be driven or operated to the left of the centre of a roadway designed for one or more lines of traffic in each direction, (a) when approaching the crest of a grade or upon a curve in the roadway or within 30 metres of a bridge, viaduct or tunnel where the driver’s view is obstructed within that distance so as to create a potential hazard in the event another vehicle might approach from the opposite direction; or (b) when approaching within 30 metres of a level railway crossing.

Offline mmret

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +240/-570
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 09, 2012, 11:36:07 pm »
Only if his view was obstructed. He did say long, sweeping roadway.
You can't just have your characters announce how they feel.
That makes me feel angry!

Present: 15.5 V60 T6 + Polestar, 17 MDX
Sometimes Borrow: 11 GLK350
Dark and Twisted Past: 13 TL AWD, 07 Z4 3.0si, 07 CLK550, 06 TSX, 07 Civic, 01 Grandma!

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1254/-7214
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 09, 2012, 11:51:09 pm »
Only if his view was obstructed. He did say long, sweeping roadway.

+1.  You beat me to it.
How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

Offline Sir Osis of Liver

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1376/-1726
  • Ramblin' man
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 KTM DUKE 390, 2019 VW Jetta GLI 35th Anniversary
« Reply #25 on: August 10, 2012, 12:12:21 am »
In summary, Ontario and Manitoba say you can cross the line to pass, but don’t specify what that line is. Alberta is unclear. Saskatchewan, New Brunswick, Newfoundland & Labrador and PEI say it’s either unsafe or illegal to pass on a solid single yellow, while BC and Nova Scotia allow it. I could find nothing on Quebec, though the last time I was in Montreal, there didn’t seem to be any rules at all.

http://www.canadianbiker.com/english-speaking/highway-rules-yellow-lines

I've known a few people in NB get nailed for illegal passing. Pretty heavy fine IIRC.
On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last, and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.

H. L. Mencken

Offline Scarecrow

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +41/-17
  • Cars on the brain
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Mazda6, Mazda MX-5 Miata (sold), Shelby 427S/C Cobra, Triumph Tiger 750
« Reply #26 on: August 10, 2012, 07:22:29 am »
A solid yellow line is meant to indicate that it is not generally safe to pass at that location.  And there's usually a pretty good reason why the yellow line is solid in those places.  But no, it isn't a prohibition.

Yes, but what about the DOUBLE  solid yellow?

The double solid yellow line means it's unsafe to pass for vehicles travelling in both directions.
"Anyone who drives faster than you is a Maniac,
and anyone who drives slower is an Idiot." - George Carlin

Offline aaronk

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +45/-38
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 10, 2012, 09:54:30 am »
I drive Highway 11 through the GTA into northern Ontario fairly regularly, a notoriously dangerous highway (especially past North Bay) for lots of blind corners, undulating hills and two-way traffic (not a divided highway). On long weekends there is an increased number of impatient drivers amidst the regular heavy truck traffic and I have seen more close calls related to double-yellow passing than I care to recount. Perhaps its not law, but one would hope common sense would prevail here. I fear for the sanity of the one who uses the line "well, it's not illegal..." when trying to justify passing 2 transports on a blind corner going uphill at 120 km/h. It's only common sense that these lines mean no passing, regardless of what the law says. You can't make 'stupid' illegal.

Offline george

• Learner's Permit
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 10, 2012, 10:13:12 am »
All you post about is this lane nonsense. I looked at your post history. You are really trying hard to fight the fight for staying in the left lane.

You are right, it is an issue I feel strongly about. However, I don't want to derail this thread now, the discussion on single and double solid yellow lines has been most informative.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2012, 10:37:23 am by george »

Offline quadzilla

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +391/-634
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Rock'n Rolla Nightstalker
« Reply #29 on: August 10, 2012, 10:26:13 am »
Sign on Airport Rd north of Toronto. Anybody that has driven it knows that too many people pass on the blind crest(s).

Offline tooscoops

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +325/-227
  • "stealership" employee
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '75 AMC Pacer, '70 Morgan 4/4, '21 Pacifica Hybrid, '21 Wrangler Rubicon
« Reply #30 on: August 10, 2012, 11:03:45 am »
i feel like "double" yellow lines don't really exist... what the people have going to opposite direction of me as their line shouldn't really concern me. its not like, "well, since its unsafe for them to pass going east, it must be tough for me to pass going west..."

for george, being nice to the people merging is a good thing... but don't be a dick to people in the passing lane in order to look out for people merging. if their is ample opportunity to get in the left lane and out of the mergers way, go for it! good on ya.... then get back into the right lane.

if you mean you drive in the left lane just to avoid having to deal with merging... you are in the wrong. left is for passing... not, expected, future passing during on ramps.
i used to be addicted to soap, but i'm clean now

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1424/-2122
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2020 Toyota Tundra, 2021 Lexus GX460, 2018 Kawasaki Versys X300
« Reply #31 on: August 10, 2012, 11:09:49 am »
i feel like "double" yellow lines don't really exist... what the people have going to opposite direction of me as their line shouldn't really concern me. its not like, "well, since its unsafe for them to pass going east, it must be tough for me to pass going west..."

for george, being nice to the people merging is a good thing... but don't be a dick to people in the passing lane in order to look out for people merging. if their is ample opportunity to get in the left lane and out of the mergers way, go for it! good on ya.... then get back into the right lane.

if you mean you drive in the left lane just to avoid having to deal with merging... you are in the wrong. left is for passing... not, expected, future passing during on ramps.

This guy George has been on here many times trying to get everyone to fall into his way of thinking that the left lane is just another lane, not a passing lane. In all the times I remember he has failed as anyone who has driven highways enough knows how annoying it is to get stuck behind someone who is just being a left lane hog. Not saying hes not allowed in the big boy lane at all, just only be on there if you are passing someone or letting someone safely merge without holding up traffic behind you.
Lighten up Francis.....

Offline wing

• Big Wig
  • Administrator
  • Carma: +279/-320
  • If you ain't first ... you're last!
    • View Profile
    • Drivesideways
  • Cars: 2009 Lexus ISF, 2009 Lexus LX570,2011 Audi A5 Touring Car
« Reply #32 on: August 10, 2012, 11:14:09 am »
There are signs all over the highways that say "slower cars keep right, or keep right except to pass"  How is this not obvious?

Offline quadzilla

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +391/-634
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Rock'n Rolla Nightstalker
« Reply #33 on: August 10, 2012, 11:19:06 am »
There are signs all over the highways that say "slower cars keep right, or keep right except to pass"  How is this not obvious?

People are oblivious to the cars around then, you think they can see the signs?

Offline george

• Learner's Permit
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: August 10, 2012, 11:27:34 am »

Tell that to the 1/3rd of all drivers on the 401, in the left lane, in rush hour. They are not passing anybody. So, all those people are breaking the law? I don't think so. Welcome to the real world.

And thanks for derailing the thread.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2012, 11:34:28 am by george »

Offline wing

• Big Wig
  • Administrator
  • Carma: +279/-320
  • If you ain't first ... you're last!
    • View Profile
    • Drivesideways
  • Cars: 2009 Lexus ISF, 2009 Lexus LX570,2011 Audi A5 Touring Car
« Reply #35 on: August 10, 2012, 11:32:15 am »
I didn't say they are breaking the law they are being jerks.

Just because someone jumps off a bridge you going to do it too eh?  If everyone does it, it must be okay for me to do it too.

That's cool because on the 3 lane highway I drive on, the middle and left lane is always clogged but I can hum along at 120 in the right lane and get were I want to faster.  Dumb asses.

Offline george

• Learner's Permit
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: August 10, 2012, 11:37:16 am »
That is right, 1/3rd of all drivers on the 401 in rush hour are jerks because wing declares they are.

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1424/-2122
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2020 Toyota Tundra, 2021 Lexus GX460, 2018 Kawasaki Versys X300
« Reply #37 on: August 10, 2012, 11:42:03 am »
That is right, 1/3rd of all drivers on the 401 in rush hour are jerks because wing declares they are.

There you go again......sitting in the left lane because you think you have a divine right is being a JERK!!! Slower traffic keep right, stay out of the lane unless your passing, I dont care if youre doing 80km/h or 280km/h, its for P-A-S-S-I-N-G....thats why its called the passing lane.

Offline george

• Learner's Permit
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: August 10, 2012, 12:00:33 pm »
Oh, I care if you are doing 280km/hr on public roads. You are a menace to everyone else and I hope they confiscate your car. We have street racing laws in Ontario that enable confiscation.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2012, 12:07:29 pm by george »

Offline Scarecrow

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +41/-17
  • Cars on the brain
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Mazda6, Mazda MX-5 Miata (sold), Shelby 427S/C Cobra, Triumph Tiger 750
« Reply #39 on: August 10, 2012, 12:05:57 pm »
In fact the Highway Traffic Act requires slower-moving vehicles to use the right-hand lane.  Those road signs are not just helpful suggestions.  It is safer to overtake on the left side as you are more visible to the driver of the other car.

It's not up to individual citizens to enforce the highway speed limits by blocking faster-moving traffic in the "passing lane."  Leave that to the police.  Feel like enforcing traffic laws?  Become a cop.

###

Slow vehicles to travel on right side

(1)  Any vehicle travelling upon a roadway at less than the normal speed of traffic at that time and place shall, where practicable, be driven in the right-hand lane then available for traffic or as close as practicable to the right hand curb or edge of the roadway. R.S.O. 1990, c. H.8, s. 147 (1).

Exception
(2)  Subsection (1) does not apply to a driver of a,
(a) vehicle while overtaking and passing another vehicle proceeding in the same direction;
(b) vehicle while preparing for a left turn at an intersection or into a private road or driveway; or
(c) road service vehicle. R.S.O. 1990, c. H.8, s. 147 (2).