Author Topic: No Passing on the Right Nonsense.  (Read 31970 times)

Offline george

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +1/-30
    • View Profile
Re: No Passing on the Right Nonsense.
« Reply #100 on: August 11, 2012, 10:02:38 pm »
The Ontario government takes enough of our money as it is and squanders some of it. No need for them to take more. To me, cries of "tax grab" would be justified.

Offline The Mighty Duck

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +34/-44
  • f*** that duck
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2010 MINI Cooper S | Past: 1999 Honda Civic, 2009 Honda Fit
« Reply #101 on: August 11, 2012, 10:13:07 pm »
The trucker question came up on reddit a while ago, and the comments from truck drivers themselves were interesting. To them, a difference of a couple of kilometres multiplied over hundreds or thousands of kilometres actually means a lot, especially when their time literally is money, and when they're already away from their family for long stretches at a time.

So that's one perspective, at least as far as long-haul truckers go.

FWIW, I do agree about how irritating slow-passing trucks are. I've always thought that rigs should not be allowed in the left lane: if the highway is six lanes, then sure, they can use the centre lane to pass, but stay the hell out of the left lane. I'd also like to see the 401 be widened to six lanes from the Quebec border to Windsor, which would make the whole issue a lot more manageable.

Offline random006

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +123/-83
    • View Profile
  • Cars: His - 2018 Subaru Crosstrek .... Hers - 2008 Honda Civic DX
« Reply #102 on: August 14, 2012, 01:37:26 pm »
GTFO of the left lane unless you're passing someone.  NO ONE ever passes me on the right.  If I'm in the left lane and someone is closing on me, I speed up to get around whoever I'm passing, allowing the person behind me to pass without slowing.

If I've moved over to let someone on (they're merging) and there's a car gaining on me in the left lane, once again, I match their speed, pass the merging car, and move over.

If you're in the left lane and someone passes you on the right, you're a MORON.

Unless there are extenuating circumstances, such as an exit ramp on the left.  Yes, they exist.  One of the best examples is the connection between 40 eastbound (aka "The Metropolitan") and 15 northbound right here in Montreal.  Although it's a highway to highway connection, it is curved and narrowed, so speed reduction is a must.

Other than that, I'm with you.
I have come here to chew bubblegum and kick ass...and I'm all out of bubblegum.    -    John Nada (played by Roddy Piper) in "They Live"

Offline quadzilla

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +391/-634
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Rock'n Rolla Nightstalker
« Reply #103 on: August 14, 2012, 02:04:44 pm »
On the weekend I drove back from London and I stayed in the right lane and passed all those UNABLE to move over to the right. I would say that 50-60% of my passing was like this.

Offline tooscoops

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +325/-227
  • "stealership" employee
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '75 AMC Pacer, '70 Morgan 4/4, '21 Pacifica Hybrid, '21 Wrangler Rubicon
« Reply #104 on: August 15, 2012, 01:13:03 pm »
yeah, we have a good left lane off-ramp around here.. highway 6 north off the 403 eastbound. maybe becuase that exit takes you to a couple of prime retirement areas(guelph, dundas), but that lane is brutal... avg speed seems to be about 85 in the passing lane for about 5km back. i stick to the center lane as there is also the left lane on-ramp just after... its pretty crappy...

especially when people who automatically just drive in the passing lane (looking at people similar to george) suddenly have an influx of semi's and slow movers attempting to merge... so many people braking and screwing it up for everyone since they don't like zipper patterns.
i used to be addicted to soap, but i'm clean now

Offline Dudley

• Noob
  • Carma: +0/-1
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Dodge, Chevy
« Reply #105 on: December 27, 2018, 02:29:54 pm »
There is no law in Ontario prohibiting passing on the right and yet some drivers think it is illegal. Where do they get these notions?

If  I have an open lane ahead of me and I have somebody on my left I want to overtake,  I am going to go ahead and overtake with no harm done. I wish people would stop making up imaginary laws.

Correct.  I suspect people are influenced by those who are not up to date in Ontario law, which is somewhat different than other jurisdictions.

In Ontario, motorists who are travellling less than the legal speed limit on a multi-lane highway (or other roadway) are required to keep to the right-most lane or lanes (HTA section 147(1)). 

Otherwise it is perfectly legal to travel up to the speed limit in any lane.  When travelling in the left lane, there is no requirement to move over to the right in an effort to provide passage to speed violators booting it in the left lane. It is perfectly legal for these speed violators to pass on the right.

In Ontario, there is no such thing as a 'passing lane', a 'fast lane' or a 'slow lane' on a multi-lane highway.

Nothing in Ontario's Highway Traffic Act, creates a right-of-way for speed violators in any lane of travel and this includes the left-most lane.

The foregoing is not true in many other jurisdictions. It is valid in Ontario.

Offline tpl

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +298/-675
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Taos
« Reply #106 on: December 27, 2018, 04:23:17 pm »
yeah, we have a good left lane off-ramp around here.. highway 6 north off the 403 eastbound. maybe becuase that exit takes you to a couple of prime retirement areas(guelph, dundas), but that lane is brutal... avg speed seems to be about 85 in the passing lane for about 5km back. i stick to the center lane as there is also the left lane on-ramp just after... its pretty crappy...

especially when people who automatically just drive in the passing lane (looking at people similar to george) suddenly have an influx of semi's and slow movers attempting to merge... so many people braking and screwing it up for everyone since they don't like zipper patterns.

I use that ramp.   Terrible engineering. Should have exited to the RIGHT and gone over or under.    Much more expensive of course  but thems the breaks.   I always get into the left lane well in advance at the 2KM warning sign  and I am very wary of truck that need into the lane.

Last time I used it was 2 weeks ago in the rush hour and it wasn't too bad.
The most radical revolutionary will become a conservative the day after the revolution.

Offline dkaz

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +289/-389
  • Flip flop
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 12 Mazda 5 GT 6MT
No Passing on the Right Nonsense.
« Reply #107 on: December 27, 2018, 07:52:05 pm »
Lol thread resurrected from the dead.

I read the BC MVA and it’s actually not unlawful to pass on the right. It is unlawful however to stay in the passing lane when you’re not passing anyone and they can ticket people for it, but BC’s lack of traffic enforcement means people rarely get ticketed.

Offline Sir Osis of Liver

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1376/-1726
  • Ramblin' man
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 KTM DUKE 390, 2019 VW Jetta GLI 35th Anniversary
« Reply #108 on: January 18, 2019, 12:15:55 pm »
There is no law in Ontario prohibiting passing on the right and yet some drivers think it is illegal. Where do they get these notions?

If  I have an open lane ahead of me and I have somebody on my left I want to overtake,  I am going to go ahead and overtake with no harm done. I wish people would stop making up imaginary laws.

Correct.  I suspect people are influenced by those who are not up to date in Ontario law, which is somewhat different than other jurisdictions.

In Ontario, motorists who are travellling less than the legal speed limit on a multi-lane highway (or other roadway) are required to keep to the right-most lane or lanes (HTA section 147(1)). 

Otherwise it is perfectly legal to travel up to the speed limit in any lane.  When travelling in the left lane, there is no requirement to move over to the right in an effort to provide passage to speed violators booting it in the left lane. It is perfectly legal for these speed violators to pass on the right.

In Ontario, there is no such thing as a 'passing lane', a 'fast lane' or a 'slow lane' on a multi-lane highway.

Nothing in Ontario's Highway Traffic Act, creates a right-of-way for speed violators in any lane of travel and this includes the left-most lane.

The foregoing is not true in many other jurisdictions. It is valid in Ontario.

Section 147 of the Highway Traffic Act (HTA) actually states any "vehicle travelling upon a roadway at less than the normal speed of traffic at that time and place shall, where practicable, be driven in the right-hand lane"

Also section 132. (1) "No motor vehicle shall be driven on a highway at such a slow rate of speed as to impede or block the normal and reasonable movement of traffic thereon except when the slow rate of speed is necessary for safe operation having regard to all the circumstances."

People have been fined for impeding traffic while going the speed limit. https://www.drivers.com/article/149/
On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last, and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.

H. L. Mencken

Offline johngenx

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +758/-938
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2009 Toyota Corolla, 2004 Toyota Highlander V-6 4WD, 2001 Subaru Forester, 1994 Mazda Miata
« Reply #109 on: January 18, 2019, 05:06:50 pm »
Lol thread resurrected from the dead.

I read the BC MVA and it’s actually not unlawful to pass on the right. It is unlawful however to stay in the passing lane when you’re not passing anyone and they can ticket people for it, but BC’s lack of traffic enforcement means people rarely get ticketed.

BC and Alberta are so completely different with regard to traffic enforcement. From non existent in BC to draconian in Alberta. Can't we have a happy medium? 

Offline random006

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +123/-83
    • View Profile
  • Cars: His - 2018 Subaru Crosstrek .... Hers - 2008 Honda Civic DX
« Reply #110 on: January 21, 2019, 02:01:15 pm »
From an article from the Globe and Mail about driving laws in Quebec:
https://www.theglobeandmail.com/globe-drive/culture/commuting/driving-laws-that-are-only-in-quebec/article24959931/

The left lane is for passing only:

Yes, other provinces have road signs that say to keep right except to pass, but police say most laws don't have teeth when it comes to convicting left-lane drivers going the speed limit or faster. Usually the laws say slower traffic must keep right — but they also say that it's illegal to go above the speed limit.

Last week, B.C.'s tougher rules went into effect. There are now $167 fines for left-lane drivers who don't get out of the way for faster drivers behind them. You can be fined even if you're driving at or above the speed limit. The law doesn't require drivers you to get out of the left-most lane if there's nobody behind you.

But in Quebec, the left-most lane on highways with a speed limit 80 km/h or higher is a true passing lane. Section 321 of the Highway Safety Code says you can't drive in the left lane unless you are passing or turning left.

Offline mlin32

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +65/-419
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 Peugeot 308 GT; 2015 Yamaha YZF-R3
« Reply #111 on: January 21, 2019, 04:37:22 pm »
From an article from the Globe and Mail about driving laws in Quebec:
https://www.theglobeandmail.com/globe-drive/culture/commuting/driving-laws-that-are-only-in-quebec/article24959931/

The left lane is for passing only:

Yes, other provinces have road signs that say to keep right except to pass, but police say most laws don't have teeth when it comes to convicting left-lane drivers going the speed limit or faster. Usually the laws say slower traffic must keep right — but they also say that it's illegal to go above the speed limit.

Last week, B.C.'s tougher rules went into effect. There are now $167 fines for left-lane drivers who don't get out of the way for faster drivers behind them. You can be fined even if you're driving at or above the speed limit. The law doesn't require drivers you to get out of the left-most lane if there's nobody behind you.

But in Quebec, the left-most lane on highways with a speed limit 80 km/h or higher is a true passing lane. Section 321 of the Highway Safety Code says you can't drive in the left lane unless you are passing or turning left.

So, basically the province with some sense  :P

Really guys, it's simple. Drive right, overtake left. If there's a dud sitting in the left with space to move over right, the faster driver can flash the headlights so the person in front moves over.

In all European countries, passing on the right is illegal and dangerous because the vehicle on the left could simply move back over and not see/expect a passing driver on the right. Similarly, if overtaking a lorry, there's a huge blind spot and accidents happen because of this .

In France, an infraction passing on the right is the loss of 3 pts on the licence and 90-375€ fine. In Germany, this is subject to a 100 € fine and a point.
ø cons: Peugeot 308: Yamaha R3 [/URL]