Author Topic: 2012 Olympics  (Read 7440 times)

Online rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1255/-7216
    • View Profile
Re: 2012 Olympics
« Reply #60 on: August 13, 2012, 06:26:11 pm »

There are exceptions to every rule.  Usain Bolt is an incredible talent and I admire him very much for that (truly)...but he is no Mohammed Ali.

I have Jack Johnson as the greatest boxing champion of all time...
How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

Offline Jaeger

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +707/-12419
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2015 Hyundai Genesis 3.8 AWD, 2016 Honda Fit EX-L Navi, 2019 Genesis G80 3.3t Sport, 2021 Honda CB650R, 2023 Honda Monkey
« Reply #61 on: August 13, 2012, 07:48:54 pm »

I dunno - Mohammed Ali didn't 'win with grace' and he is most definitely a true champion in my books.   

There are exceptions to every rule.  Usain Bolt is an incredible talent and I admire him very much for that (truly)...but he is no Mohammed Ali.

No - I didn't suggest he was an equivalent to Mohammed Ali - different sports, different times, different challenges - they aren't directly comparable.  Ali's is arguably a singular story in all of sport - and one with significant dimensions beyond sport.  There really is no equivalent that I can think of.

But neither Bolt nor Ali could be described as displaying quiet dignity in victory.  In that respect, they are similar.  If Ali can be a true champion while loudly and repeatedly proclaiming "I am THE GREATEST" (not to mention his uncountable displays of bravado and showboating) then it's kind of hard to characterize Bolt's "I am a Legend" statement and post-race antics as wretched excess unbefitting a true champion.  That wouldn't be so much identifying an exception a rule, as arbitrarily applying different rules to different people.

That proves the point I think.  Since you cannot shorten the distance in the 100m by stepping on the line (since the 100 is run in a straight line rather than around a corner) the rule is discretionary for that race.  That still leaves your point, though, about why stepping on the outside line of the relay is an automatic DQ.  Might just be an attempt to keep clear bright line rules rather than separate rules for separate violations.

Fair enough.  And the bottom line is that it is a rule known to all and applied to all.  Props to the Canadian runner for owning up and admitting he broke the rule and not complaining about the consequences.  I just felt sick for them - they really overachieved to get that bronze only to have it wiped away on what I see as a harsh technicality.
Wokeism is nothing more than the recognition and opposition of bigotry in all its forms.  Bigots are predictably triggered.

Online rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: August 13, 2012, 07:53:05 pm »

But neither Bolt nor Ali could be described as displaying quiet dignity in victory.  In that respect, they are similar.  If Ali can be a true champion while loudly and repeatedly proclaiming "I am THE GREATEST" (not to mention his uncountable displays of bravado and showboating) then it's kind of hard to characterize Bolt's "I am a Legend" statement and post-race antics as wretched excess unbefitting a true champion. That wouldn't be so much identifying an exception a rule, as arbitrarily applying different rules to different people.

I had to turn it off....was just too much to stomach and watch.  Sheesh....He must be a closet American with antics like that....

Offline sailor723

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +417/-1000
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '17 BMW X5 Xdrive35i, '11 BMW 328iXdrive,
« Reply #63 on: August 13, 2012, 08:02:06 pm »

But neither Bolt nor Ali could be described as displaying quiet dignity in victory.  In that respect, they are similar.  If Ali can be a true champion while loudly and repeatedly proclaiming "I am THE GREATEST" (not to mention his uncountable displays of bravado and showboating) then it's kind of hard to characterize Bolt's "I am a Legend" statement and post-race antics as wretched excess unbefitting a true champion. That wouldn't be so much identifying an exception a rule, as arbitrarily applying different rules to different people.

I had to turn it off....was just too much to stomach and watch.  Sheesh....He must be a closet American with antics like that....

I agree...he comes across as less of a champion and more of a show-off jerk type who happens to be able to run fast. Hardly "world class"  in terms of the whole package.
Old Jag convertible...one itch I won't have to scratch again.

Offline Hammy

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +52/-182
    • View Profile
    • NL Car Buying 101
  • Cars: 2019 Audi RS3, 2021 Ford F-150 Lariat, 2014 Mazda 3 GX
« Reply #64 on: August 13, 2012, 08:14:47 pm »
Women's Beach Volleyball is fun!

But they had black pants on for a lot of the matches this year.... bummer! :'(

You have got to love the sprints though, definitely the most exciting events.

Offline Ex-airbalancer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +729/-1584
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 Silverado 1500 LTZ ext ended cab , 2013 Lexus RX-350 F Sport
« Reply #65 on: August 13, 2012, 08:18:22 pm »
Ali  stood Up  for his beliefs in the Vietman war, lost 4 years of prime fighting years
You really cannot compare the two

Offline Jaeger

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2015 Hyundai Genesis 3.8 AWD, 2016 Honda Fit EX-L Navi, 2019 Genesis G80 3.3t Sport, 2021 Honda CB650R, 2023 Honda Monkey
« Reply #66 on: August 13, 2012, 08:19:42 pm »
Ali  stood Up  for his beliefs in the Vietman war, lost 4 years of prime fighting years

I thought that was what I said.

Offline Jaeger

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: August 13, 2012, 08:23:39 pm »

How terrible - trying to shake the hand of every single person in the stands.  Grumpy old men harumph with disapporval, but the fans love him - precisely because he goes out of his way NOT to be an ego-driven prima donna.  He's chatting up the little people who cart away his outerwear before the race - smiles and high-fives and knuckle-bumps.  I didn't see any of the Americans doing that.  People can look at the same event and see very different things.

Online rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: August 13, 2012, 08:24:38 pm »

I don't know.  Ali stood up for his beliefs when it was to his benefit.  He had no problem making money from the US.  He had no problem aligning himself with shifty characters.  And he had no problem ignoring his beliefs when it came time to screwing around on his wife, etc..

Online rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: August 13, 2012, 08:26:03 pm »

How terrible - trying to shake the hand of every single person in the stands.  Grumpy old men harumph with disapporval, but the fans love him - precisely because he goes out of his way NOT to be an ego-driven prima donna.  He's chatting up the little people who cart away his outerwear before the race - smiles and high-fives and knuckle-bumps.  I didn't see any of the Americans doing that.  People can look at the same event and see very different things.

His celebrations (and his antics before the race) were much, much more than just shaking hands of people in the stands.

Offline Jaeger

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: August 13, 2012, 08:32:19 pm »

His celebrations (and his antics before the race) were much, much more than just shaking hands of people in the stands.

You're not in his head.  Neither am I.

Online rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: August 13, 2012, 08:34:10 pm »

You're not in his head.  Neither am I.

No, of course not.  I don't need to be in his head to see his excessive celebrations.  He's a free spirit...a happy, fun guy.  I get it.  I like it.  Better than a guy being a dick for sure!

Just wish his antics were toned down some for the Olympics. 

Online rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: August 13, 2012, 10:47:19 pm »
There were some compelling athlete interviews too, just not well represented at short distance track where there seems to be an accepted culture of showboating.  Like Jaeger, I was nonetheless glued to it all out of a love of sport. 

Even with the smack talk, it was entertaining to watch Jamaica dominate the sprints.  They are ridiculously overrepresented on the podium in sprints.  Bolt's olympic and world records are likely to stand for some time bc he genuinely is that much better.

Yep.  Simple physics.  Most athletes require 44 steps per 100.  Bolt requires 41 steps.  He's a big dude!!  Imagine if he was actually explosive out of the blocks what kind of times he could lay down??  Yikes!!

Also...some people (me included) think the fastest NFL players could beat Bolt in a 40 yd race.  Let's discuss!!  :)

Online rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: August 13, 2012, 11:00:20 pm »

But Kinda like asking whether Phelps would beat a water polo player no?   

Not really.  It's just a simple race.  40 yds.  I don't think Bolt would be any faster to 40yds...that actually seems to be the point where he kicks it into gear and REALLY starts to accelerate.

Bolt's 40 yds is ~4.0  The best NFL players run 4.2  On turf.  In running shoes. With no blocks. 

So yea...I think it would be really, really close if you put NFL players on a track, in blocks with track spikes.  Anything over 40 and it's game over though.

I really like "what if" sports comparos like this...ever watch Sports Science? 

Offline johngenx

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +758/-938
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2009 Toyota Corolla, 2004 Toyota Highlander V-6 4WD, 2001 Subaru Forester, 1994 Mazda Miata
« Reply #74 on: August 14, 2012, 12:31:08 am »
I think Bolt could be faster to 40M.  It looks like he chooses not to be!  That said, yeah, some of the NFL guys are ridiculously quick in distances under 40M.  It would be a great race!

Bolt's arrogance is earned.  No one has ever been faster.  The 100M this Olympics was insane.  So many guys running sub 10sec now.

Offline Mike

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +172/-99
  • Lurker
    • View Profile
  • Cars: A Beater and an Ascent
« Reply #75 on: August 14, 2012, 06:38:55 am »
Google what Bolt has done for his home town since making it big.  At 16 he was sponsored by PUMA in Jamaica and as part of his contract back then, he stipulated they had to provided shoes for the athletics department in his school.  I believe they still do.

He recently funded the rebuilding of the villages medical centre.

He likes to celebrate, but I wouldn't call him an arrogant jerk.

Offline Jaeger

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: August 14, 2012, 06:42:01 am »
Also...some people (me included) think the fastest NFL players could beat Bolt in a 40 yd race.  Let's discuss!!  :)

Well, about 4 sprinters had beat him to 40 yards in the 100m final.  He's a notoriously slow starter.  And having been DQ'd at the World Championships for a false start, you knew he would really be waiting on the gun this time.  He was dead last out of the blocks.  So that's a long way of saying - yeah, it's possible.  Particularly on turf / no blocks / standing start etc.  He'd be well out of his element.

Now put the fastest 7 NFL players in starting blocks on a track against Bolt and watch how embarassing the gap would be at 100m....  he'd make them loom like children.  And for a real laugh, make the distance 200m...
« Last Edit: August 14, 2012, 06:45:53 am by Jaeger »

Offline Mike

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +172/-99
  • Lurker
    • View Profile
  • Cars: A Beater and an Ascent
« Reply #77 on: August 14, 2012, 06:46:24 am »
There were some compelling athlete interviews too, just not well represented at short distance track where there seems to be an accepted culture of showboating.  Like Jaeger, I was nonetheless glued to it all out of a love of sport. 

Even with the smack talk, it was entertaining to watch Jamaica dominate the sprints.  They are ridiculously overrepresented on the podium in sprints.  Bolt's olympic and world records are likely to stand for some time bc he genuinely is that much better.

Yep.  Simple physics.  Most athletes require 44 steps per 100.  Bolt requires 41 steps.  He's a big dude!!  Imagine if he was actually explosive out of the blocks what kind of times he could lay down??  Yikes!!

Isn't that like saying my car can beat your car 0-30?

Offline Jaeger

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: August 14, 2012, 06:48:00 am »
  The 100M this Olympics was insane.  So many guys running sub 10sec now.

Had Asafa Powell not pulled a groin, the entire field would have been under 10 sec.  That has never happened before.  Insane indeed.

Offline Jaeger

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: August 14, 2012, 06:48:58 am »
Isn't that like saying my car can beat your car 0-30?

Yep.  :)