Author Topic: MTO, OPP and CAA Want to End Distracted Driving  (Read 5010 times)

Offline Autos_Editor

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +91/-560
    • View Profile
MTO, OPP and CAA Want to End Distracted Driving
« on: August 02, 2012, 09:19:48 am »

If you miss something on the road you may end up missing a whole lot more. Recent statistics show that drivers who text while behind the wheel are 23 times more likely to crash their vehicle and drivers who talk on their phone are 4-5 times more likely to be involved in a collision.
Read More...

Offline tpl

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +298/-675
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Taos
Re: MTO, OPP and CAA Want to End Distracted Driving
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2012, 10:03:09 am »
So on one hand the PO-PO want less distracted driving and one the other ( from Autos Editor) next two posts the people want to be distracted and Buick are going to help.

Personally I don't want anything of these gadgets in my car except, maybe just maybe, a sophisticated Bluetooth that is built in to the car and does all the phone book stuff and voice stuff...and I only want that if it is a standard fitting.

I wonder if the way to reduce distracted driving would be to: ( in no particular order)
Reengineer roads to be more dangerous... reducing radius curves , get rid of crash barriers, raise speed limits
Get rid of DUI limits and kiddy seats.   Ban ABS and ESC.
get rid of automatic transmissions and power steering.
Perhaps reduce the performance of modern tires.

I was going to say get rid of drivers Ed but then I realized that would make no difference.

/joke
The most radical revolutionary will become a conservative the day after the revolution.

Offline quadzilla

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +391/-634
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Rock'n Rolla Nightstalker
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2012, 10:09:03 am »
How long have they been trying to stop drinking and driving? Like that, this will never go away. Maybe they should start impounding cars when people are caught?

Had a lady creeping into my lane this morning while she was looking down at her phone.  ::)

Offline wing

• Big Wig
  • Administrator
  • Carma: +279/-320
  • If you ain't first ... you're last!
    • View Profile
    • Drivesideways
  • Cars: 2009 Lexus ISF, 2009 Lexus LX570,2011 Audi A5 Touring Car
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2012, 10:10:17 am »
curvy roads with guardrails certainly would reduce distracted driving!

Offline Mike

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +172/-99
  • Lurker
    • View Profile
  • Cars: A Beater and an Ascent
« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2012, 10:11:49 am »
curvy roads with guardrails certainly would reduce distracted driving!

I vote for this!  Maybe we should start putting zombies on the roads in various locations.  If a distracted driver hits one, well, they damaged their car and the zombie was already dead (and will probably pop up and continue shuffling along).

Northernridge

« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2012, 10:15:17 am »
So on one hand the PO-PO want less distracted driving and one the other ( from Autos Editor) next two posts the people want to be distracted and Buick are going to help.

Personally I don't want anything of these gadgets in my car except, maybe just maybe, a sophisticated Bluetooth that is built in to the car and does all the phone book stuff and voice stuff...and I only want that if it is a standard fitting.

I wonder if the way to reduce distracted driving would be to: ( in no particular order)
Reengineer roads to be more dangerous... reducing radius curves , get rid of crash barriers, raise speed limits
Get rid of DUI limits and kiddy seats.   Ban ABS and ESC.
get rid of automatic transmissions and power steering.
Perhaps reduce the performance of modern tires.

I was going to say get rid of drivers Ed but then I realized that would make no difference.

/joke

I agree. I could do without almost all of the electronic features and functions wrapped up in the nav display. I wish I could have just a very high-end stereo and buttons for everything else. And, phones for emergencies only.

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1424/-2121
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2020 Toyota Tundra, 2021 Lexus GX460, 2018 Kawasaki Versys X300
« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2012, 11:09:51 am »
Well the fact that some cars have internet connectivity, have a 14" monitor built into the center console and have so many gadgets to keep morons from hurting themselves (ESP, lane departure, blind spot warning.........) of course people are going to be distracted. When the car does as much as possible to keep your dumbass from doing something stupid and there are so many buttons and things to do in the car with your I Pad, of course you will not take driving seriously.
Lighten up Francis.....

Offline aaronk

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +45/-38
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2012, 11:24:22 am »
Interesting that expensive new technology in cars is causing the distraction, so manufacturers are creating more expensive technology to 'aid the driver' in being more safe (lane departure, blind spot assist, etc.).

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 02, 2012, 11:27:18 am »
Interesting that expensive new technology in cars is causing the distraction, so manufacturers are creating more expensive technology to 'aid the driver' in being more safe (lane departure, blind spot assist, etc.).

Basically all the features that the Lincoln were seemingly designed to keep you safe if you liked to text and drive.

vdk

« Reply #9 on: August 02, 2012, 12:10:09 pm »
I think people text and yap on their phones because they are bored driving their cars. Can't really blame them, minivans are boring, speed limits are low, and the roads are straight - so one needs to find something else to keep busy with.

Offline tpl

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +298/-675
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Taos
« Reply #10 on: August 02, 2012, 12:14:38 pm »
I think people text and yap on their phones because they are bored driving their cars. Can't really blame them, minivans are boring, speed limits are low, and the roads are straight - so one needs to find something else to keep busy with.
Well then my friend...we need to follow my suggestions up above !    ;D

But what will happen when Google REALLY perfect the self driving car? Will it have a "sport mode" ?     Legally can a car be given a ticket for a moving violation?
« Last Edit: August 02, 2012, 12:16:11 pm by tpl »

Offline Sir Osis of Liver

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1376/-1726
  • Ramblin' man
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 KTM DUKE 390, 2019 VW Jetta GLI 35th Anniversary
« Reply #11 on: August 02, 2012, 01:51:32 pm »
Distracted driving was going on long before telematics. Driving along the I-95 in busy rush hour traffic near Boston in the early 1990s I saw a woman almost clean the car in front of her because she was reading a book while commuting.
On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last, and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.

H. L. Mencken

Offline safristi

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +471/-416
    • View Profile
  • Cars: since the beginning of Saf timeLOTUS ELAN,STANDARD... 10, MG midget, MGB (2),Mazda Millennia,Hyundai Veloster and 1997 Ford Ranger 2014 Subaru Forester XT
« Reply #12 on: August 02, 2012, 02:50:00 pm »
quote "almost clean the car in front" ::) ??? :P ...............not that there is anything wrong with that.................
Time is to stop everything happening at once

vdk

« Reply #13 on: August 02, 2012, 03:00:41 pm »

But what will happen when Google REALLY perfect the self driving car? Will it have a "sport mode" ?     Legally can a car be given a ticket for a moving violation?

As good as that sounds... Last thing I want is an idiot in a supped up 89 Civic tailgating at 160. Driving properly requires thinking, and most people can't think. I'd argue the culture of driving in Toronto cannot sustain higher speed limits - how many times has someone come into your lane in a turn? What we need is proper (retroactive) driver training taught by people who know how to drive. I'd gather a bunch of German driving instructors, and bring them here for a couple of years. Then bring the Fins to teach Torontonians how to drive in the snow. And ban minivans.

The cops should then focus on real driving infractions, rather than sit in their cars at a doughnut shop shooting laser. See the dude in the Civic tailgating? Take him off the road. The guy waving in and out of traffic? Him too.

It's either going to do the speed limit all the time, and not violate any rules. Or the driver will ultimately be responsible.

vdk

« Reply #14 on: August 02, 2012, 03:01:59 pm »
quote "almost clean the car in front" ::) ??? :P ...............not that there is anything wrong with that.................

Finally a high-resolution pic ;D

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 02, 2012, 03:09:11 pm »

As good as that sounds... Last thing I want is an idiot in a supped up 89 Civic tailgating at 160. Driving properly requires thinking, and most people can't think. I'd argue the culture of driving in Toronto cannot sustain higher speed limits - how many times has someone come into your lane in a turn? What we need is proper (retroactive) driver training taught by people who know how to drive. I'd gather a bunch of German driving instructors, and bring them here for a couple of years. Then bring the Fins to teach Torontonians how to drive in the snow. And ban minivans.

The cops should then focus on real driving infractions, rather than sit in their cars at a doughnut shop shooting laser. See the dude in the Civic tailgating? Take him off the road. The guy waving in and out of traffic? Him too.

It's either going to do the speed limit all the time, and not violate any rules. Or the driver will ultimately be responsible.

Ive always thought that the problem with drivers is the lack of education and common sense. Ive said that bringing in some German driving instructors to totally change the driving schools would be a great idea. Never thoguht about the Finns and snow and ice training, you dont get that many WRC champions out of a country without doing something right. I think that higher speed limits are easily doable, but the cops have to be watching more for behavior than siting there picking people off for going 12km/h over. Like you said, the guy tailgating and weaving out of traffic is dangerous, but so is the person going slow in the passing lane thats been pacing a semi truck for the last 1/2 an hour. distracted driving is, for the most part, unenforceable, its kind of hard to catch people texting, reading a book, doing their nails, watching a movie or trying to indian leg wrestle someone in the back seat, people have to realize that you might kill yourself and more importantly, kill someone else and then go to jail and play house with a large man who wants to make you mommy.

Offline Ex-airbalancer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +729/-1584
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 Silverado 1500 LTZ ext ended cab , 2013 Lexus RX-350 F Sport
« Reply #16 on: August 02, 2012, 05:23:17 pm »
I talk on the phone in the bimmer

What about all the electronic billboards they have , maybe the should get rid of them, dogs on drivers laps , and kids in the back seat maybe put them on the roof ;D

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1254/-7209
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 02, 2012, 05:43:43 pm »
Per the FARS database...the #1 most distracting thing in a car....ANOTHER PERSON.

#2  HAVAC/RADIO CONTROLS/CAR CONTROLS

Of course, those first too aren't as sensational as texting/talking while driving...... ::)
How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 02, 2012, 05:53:58 pm »
Per the FARS database...the #1 most distracting thing in a car....ANOTHER PERSON.

Of course, those first too aren't as sensational as texting/talking while driving...... ::)

With steering wheel controls, you could take out the radio controls out of the equation. Also, if theyre not crying children, how is another person that distracting???

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1254/-7209
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 02, 2012, 05:55:31 pm »

With steering wheel controls, you could take out the radio controls out of the equation. Also, if theyre not crying children, how is another person that distracting???

Just talking to them.  This is nothing new.  People in the car have long been the #1 driver distraction.  For years.

And car controls still come in at #2.